M.I.A. thinks Oprah gave her the cold shoulder
July 28th, 2010

M.I.A. thinks Oprah gave her the cold shoulder

Outspoken rapper M.I.A. doesn’t save her controversial words just for her music. In a new interview with Time Out London, the British-born star lashes out at Oprah Winfrey and Lady Gaga.

M.I.A. claims that Winfrey, 56, was nothing like her warm-and-fuzzy TV persona when they encountered each other at the Metropolitan Ball at New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art in May.

“Oprah seemed like she was giving me the cold shoulder,” says M.I.A., 35. “She was with Iman [Bowie]. Iman was always dancing with me, hugging and kissing me, but Oprah seemed really [expletive]  off with me.”

Things took a turn for the worse when the Queen of All Media, who co-chaired the event with Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, hit the stage and began gushing about 24-year-old Lady Gaga, whose background is one of privilege and prep schools.

“She made this huge speech at the ball praising Lady Gaga and about how she [Lady Gaga] is helping Americans to be the best of themselves,” M.I.A. explained.

“There's millions of other Americans who represent that for me. Is [it] about numbers? About how much you're selling? Is it truly about the journey," the artist inquired. "Because [Lady Gaga's] journey isn't that difficult: to go from the [expletive] Upper East Side to a [expletive] performing arts school and on to a stage at the museum of [expletive] wherever. That journey's about four miles.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Kay from WA

Why do we care about one famous rich woman whining that she wasn't slobbered over by another famous rich woman?

August 11, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. KAT

She does have valid points but should not worry about if Oprah snubbed her, Oprah has always been fair but way impartial.. dissing the likes of Ludacris and Ice Cube to name a few...Lady GaGa makes good music but as far as anything else she is not 100% original she thinks she's a white Grace Jones!
    And if you people do not know who M.I.A. is then why the heck you even commenting! smh......

August 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. I hate the man

First who in the heck is M.I.A I guess I've been living under a rock. Why would i want to listen to a 24 yr old child. My 3 year old says what's on his mind. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT KIDS DO My wife and I thinks before she speaks. BECAUSE WE ARE ADULTS. Thats for all you idiot's who say "I love her because she speaks her mind. Lady dumb dumb wins the{ Let's see how stupid I can really look award}......... and see how many retards follow. She won by a landslide. Oprah get some respect because she's been in the game longer than these 2 clowns (GaGa will not be mad about the clown part) have been born. When youv'e been in the game for 10yrs and have more than one hit......HOLLA BACK

August 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. May

I am a big fan of Oprah's, but am disappointed that she would have anything to do with Anna Wintour, who promotes fur bigtime, despite knowing how the animals are tortured. I thought Oprah was a big animal rights activist. Very disappointed!

August 6, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dazed and Confused

So when did it become a crime or fraud for people of privilege to become successful artists? Not everyone has to have "street cred" in order for their journey to be meaningful or to connect with a certain sector of society. And, who the hell is MIA anyhow. Before reading this story, I never heard of her before. And, for the record, I'm not a Lady Gaga fan either, but there's no reason to dis her because she spent her formative years cultivating her skills in order to be in the right position to capitalize on it when the opportunity presented itself.

August 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. prince of percia

get a life people!

August 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TrumanBlue

I love MIA.

August 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

Anyone can be "great" and "famous" when they have enough money. Gaga-

July 30, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. laralove

Ha ha I LOVE M.I.A she came back with POWER POWER & enough courage to attack OPRAH and the new Industry IT girl. I dig LADY Gaga but M.I.A is absolutely correct saying her journey is only about 4 miles...the RICH get RICHER & the POOR we just get ANGRY and sometimes make art that really MEANS something about the HUMAN Journey & Experience. M.I.A all the WAY...RESIST to EXIST...Power to the PEOPLE! Pull up the People PULL up the POOR!

July 29, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lee

she has some points!

July 29, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Terry

MIA is awesome! I love hearing what she has to say. She cracks me up! Girl has no fear.

July 29, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

MIA is just very outspoken and not fake which I love about her. She says what she feels. And I like the fact that she spoke out for the Tamil people being massacred in Sri Lanka by their govt despite getting criticisms for it. The girl has guts! I really could care less about Oprah and Gaga. They both are way too over-rated!

July 29, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. Feeniegal

M.I.A ?? I need to Google & check YouTube about this person.. GaGa is growing on me, but I don't think she has staying power. and Oprah..well she's Oprah..is she in the dictionary yet?

July 29, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. tanger

Maybe its because she's an arab.

July 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sheila

Oprah is a jock rider. Whoever is hot, she saddles up on their backs and rides. All she knows is Ga Ga is hot right now and she has millions of little monsters. That's millions of veiwers. Don't get mad, get your chips up and she'll be riding your jock too. Sorry but, today you're a nobody. It's a status thing with Oprah. She doesn't like rappers, but makes an exception for Diddy and Jay-z. Because of their overall industry status.

July 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. portalpunk

This chick is searching for publicity. Her song made her semi-recognizable, but that was still due to the movie. Now she's looking for another 15 minutes of fame. I guess it got some traffic on this post, wooo hooo.

July 28, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dash

My god this woman's nerve! Lady Gaga isn't amazing, I'll give you that much, but she did perform at bars every night for years working her way to the top, look at American Idol, or in her case, X-Factor, now that is ignorant. She's decently successful, but it's funny how many more top 10 singles Lady Gaga has in a shorter amount of time. She's a huge joke and getting attention from acting prissy and jealous. I actually like some of her songs but I don't think I'll listen to her after this, her music is experimental but often fails for that reason, and she doesn't deserve to give her two cents until she proves herself and actually wins a Grammy, whoops, did I just drop that bomb?
    :]

July 28, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bgirlsweets

lady caca overrated

July 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. N

People, please. She was not in Slumdog Millionaire. One of her songs was.

July 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. k

HA she was on slum dog millionaire and half the ppl on this page STILL has no idea who she is! ..now if she were the little boy in slumdog then i would have know...M.I.A maybe u need a new team to get ur name out there! anyway stop complaining ur already rich and famous..just gotta have it all...

July 28, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. k

well M.I.A not everyone is going to like u...maybe u not her cup of tea...go see Ellen maybe she will like u..

July 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. eastcoast6

Selfish little prat.

July 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Anonymous

Lol, did someone actually say i must be living under a rock if i have not heard of MIA, hardly true i seen slumdog an didn'g really like it an still never heard of her, but thats a few times ive heard her moan or whine, i agree with most people she thinks she's some sort of victim n its not gaga or opra's fault she seems jelous of gaga an she's just hating on 2 big stars in opra an gaga because she can't get noticed like them

July 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scientology

I'm on to you, Anonymous. Don't think your lack of the letter D in your usage of "and" has gone unnoticed! We see all.

July 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dhulfiqar

Finally someone else who agrees with me! :-)

Oprah and LG should spend a day with the Tamil villagers in Sri Lanka...

July 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jurbyWHAT

if you havent heard of M.I.A you must have been living under a rock..havent you seen slumdog millionaire? the song Airplanes is in that movie, thats her song. I commend her, she is down to earth and real.

July 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sir Loin of Beef

Nope, don't live under a rock but still never heard of her. As for Slumdog whatever, never saw it, never will. There really are people out there that don't share the same tastes as you.

July 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Actually, Sir Loin, Slumdog is worth checking out. Not sure what your tastes in movies are, but I would recommend it.

July 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally in Chicago

The only way I know of MIA is having seen her on the Grammys some years back. Other than that, she's a blip on the radar as far as I'm concerned. But I did read she's married to a wealthy record producer. So what is she doing with HIS money to help people?

July 29, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Sir Loin of Beef

I attempted to watch it once and didn't get past the first 30 minutes. Maybe I'll give it another shot now that the novelty has worn off. Thanks.

July 29, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  26. Carla

Yeah, why on earth would she assume Oprah would know who she is? A bitter, one hit wonder does not a star make. The only reason anyone writes articles with her name in them is because she's pulling the brilliant PR move of talking about people that ARE celebrities. The press would do well to simply ignore her antics. If she can't sell records, that's neither Oprah's nor Gaga's fault.

July 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • arirang

M.I.A.'s albums have all been top selling and she was nominated for a Grammy as well. Her most recent album, MAYA is on the top 20 Billboard charts. And that's even with our recession going on. I completely agree with her about Gaga though. I would have to say the journey Gaga took to fame was even less... more like 2 miles than 4.

Anyone can be "great" and "famous" when they have enough money.

July 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. dellis79

Child Please! You only had one song..Oprah probably doesn't even know who you are..get over yourself...

July 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • suzzi

I totally agree! The first thing I thought when I read this story is that Oprah probably has never heard of this marginally talented girl from England. MIA is completely full of sh**!

August 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jaccko

Such a victim, boo hoo.

July 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. jurby

just because you're famous (for what, i don't know as i've never heard of you!) and dancing with Iman doesn't meant that everybody has to like you! suck it up and get over it!

July 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • arirang

How can you say you've never heard of M.I.A.? Did you see "Slumdog Millionaire"? Have you heard "Paper planes"?

July 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sir Loin of Beef

I don't know who M.I.A. is but I like her. Anyone that dumps on Oprah and Lady Gaga is OK by me.

July 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Krystle

I love Oprah, but MIA is spot on about Lady Gaga.

July 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Roh Vith

Wow! MIA Antics! The woman, a LTTE supporter , a world renowned terrorist organization which is no more, wants to go on Oprah. Tiger terrorist sympathizers wanted to go on the show, but Ms O being a law abiding citizen didnt accommodate them, (After all LTTE is a banned terrorist organization) so now the singer is trying her stunts by saying tht Ms O gave her the cold shoulder thinking Ms O would get her on her show and tell her she didnt do so etc etc, which would give MIA a chance to glorify the tigers. Hope Ms O won't fall for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 28, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mah

I love you, MIA.

July 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. laura

M.I.A. get over yourself & show respect to Oprah.

July 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Steve

Oh honey! Face it. You are nobody! Just go back under the rock from which you came. Nobody here is interested. At all. Thanks!

July 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • juggalo420

Keep it underground and not so "fabolous, glamorous". Your right Shelia, not only is Oprah a jock hound she has to much of an opinion that everyone listens to . Queen of all media, Nah Queen of B.S.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. Whale Blubber

No, Oprah was just mad because she is to fat to wipe herself..

July 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. glamazon

Sounds like MIA is a little jealous

July 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |