Bob Barker: I would not criticize Drew Carey
July 28th, 2010

Bob Barker: I would not criticize Drew Carey

Bob Barker hasn’t been heaping praise upon “The Price Is Right” host Drew Carey lately, but the 86-year-old game show legend says that he’s not trying to be critical.

Barker, who hosted the series from 1972 to 2009, recently told TMZ that Carey “does the show differently than I did…I tried to make the show really exciting, and he doesn't do that. He just plays the games."

But perhaps fearing he took too much of a gamble with his controversial comment, Barker has since had a change of heart.

“I would not criticize Drew Carey. I would not criticize this show. I would not criticize CBS. I would not criticize FremantleMedia [which produces the show for the network] because I have a sizable royalty that I am paid every year this show is on, and it’s going on for years. I would be an absolute fool. I hope this show stays on for years,” he told Entertainment Weekly.

“As for Drew, he’s been charming and complimentary, and he had me on the show to plug my book ‘Priceless Memories.’ He devoted half of the show to me! He’s a charming man, and kind and gracious. To think that I would say anything derogatory about him is idiocy.”

1. Josh

Drew Carey sucked big time on his first episode of TPIR, and he continues to suck big time to date. Drew looks so retarded with that goofy grin and those lame glasses. Then you get to Drew's inferior vocal quality and that's the fungus on the cake! TPIR was always a rather banal format but Bob Barker made this otherwise drab format watchable; as did the former producers, directors and the late, great announcers Johnny Olsen and Rod Roddy. Nowadays TPIR is like a ghost: it's there but it isn't there.

April 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve 1959

Hey Bartles, go suck and egg, I have been watching Bob Barker long before The Price is Right came onto the television and think he has done a great job.

August 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LEA77

Poor guy just can't let it go......

August 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. veronicka

didn't like Bob before and I still don't like him now

August 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marcella

Drew Carey is not the host of the price is right that Bob Barker was. I loved the show when Bob hosted it but I can't hardly watch it now with Drew being the host. Drew just plays the games and can be down right rude to the guess sometimes. Bob made it fun and exciting and knew how to joke with the guess and make them feel comfortable. I wish he could come back or at least find someone close in personality of Bob Barker, Drew is just not it.

August 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Teresa

I love Drew. He can lose all the weight he wants too. It has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with his health and personal comfort. He has done the smart thing on the show. He HAS NOT TRIED to replace Bob. He is his own person and trying to mimic Barker's style would have been a huge mistake. I watch the show when I have a slow day. When he first started, not one day went by that someone didn't call him Bob. He could have gotten irritated or huffy about it. He never displayed anything but gracious understanding. He is a class act and I love everything he has ever done.

August 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mark

You know I like Drew Carey. Hell I'm from the Cleveland burbs. And yet I'm glad to see some here who question his move to replace Barker. It can't be done. Barker has put his foot in his mouth a few times over the years but the guy is in Johhny Carson's league when it comes to the legends of television. Nothing sticks. And what Barker is slyly suggesting, while having an interest, is that there's something coming up besides a guy who's looking to get back on primetime soon.

Carey has real talent. He's just killing time while developing a new sitcom.

August 2, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. JHotels

Drew Carey just looks bored when he's hosting the show. They should have gotten the guy from Family Fued that used to be on Seinfeld. He's the real deal.

August 1, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rusty

I love Drew Carey, but have never felt that he was well suited to host that type of show. It's a waste of his talent as a great comedian in my opinion. He does his best, but to me it's as unnatural as casting Adam Sandler as the host for Wheel of Fortune, or Jerry Seinfeld to replace Alex Trebek.

August 1, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. SpareMe

I think old Bob forgot to take his Aricpet today. Look old man, your time is up. Go to WalMart and work as a greeter. It's over. No one wants to see you on the TV anymore. You are now a joke. Your time is over. You, sir, are NO Betty White. No comeback for you. As for Drew, he's an acquired taste. You either like him or you don't. But in the end, it's his time on TV. Deal with it, Bob. Now take your Aricept, hypertension pill, cholesterol pill, multivitamin, iron pill, drink your one cup of coffee for the day and go take yoru nap. Oh, and try not to fall down without your cane.

August 1, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. lance corporal

why drew carey is wasting his talent on this show I will never understand, I have no prob with bob barker, he seems like a nice man but game shows are stupid and why anybody would waste their time watching them is beyond me, I read this article because I'm a drew carey fan from before this job but reading some of the comments I see there are people with strong opinions about who should be the host of an idiotic game show....... it just leaves me stunned and mystified, really??? your lives are that empty?? your brains that dead?? WATCHING someone else play a game about guessing the price of things??? WOW!!!!

July 31, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Thomas Wright

Drew Carey just doesn't do it for me as the host of the show. I grew up watching it from 1972 and onwards with Bob Barker. It's just not the same. There will always be negative comments about Drew Carey until all of us oldtimers are gone. But Drew Carey will definitely not carry the show for another 35 years or so like Bob did. He just does not have the charisma and just does not seem the fit for the show. They should have just ended the show. It is Bob Barkers show, plain and simple. The plug should have been pulled when he retired. Bob you don't need the royalties anyways. Nothing personal against Drew Carey, but he should do like Ellen did and admit when something is not the right fit. He should be in comedy, like have him on Two and a half men as Charlie and Alan's step brother orcousin or something.

July 31, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bob M

Bob Barker on SNL !!!

July 31, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jer

My wife and I stopped watching the show, since Drew Carey is on.BORING! Bring back Barker!

July 31, 2010 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Klark Kent

Drew Carey sucks He should never have been taped for to replace Bob Barker.

July 30, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. annica

when I had time to watch , I enjoyed it with BB , although now when I find time to watch , it reminds me when I was growing up with Lawrence Welk, pay attention to the commercials that support the show ,!.

July 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Londa

Drew is doing a great job. He's funnyand smart! Barker should be returned to his recliner with some warm milk and leave the show and host alone!!!!

July 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ane

bob is hating Drew_Drew makes it so exciting!!! Love Drew go away Bob go away you"re boringringing

July 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. giambo

way to go bob, your really showing some class when you talk about the guy that took your job.......that's a little Jr high of a guy your age....what are you like 98 now ?

July 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Carlos

Barker only told the truth. The show sucks with Drew behind at the helm. Drew is never excited for teh people who win and is just there to host. Nothing more. Barker was so great and everyone loved because he wanted the contestants to win as much as they did. Drew seems like he could care less as long as he got a paycheck. Drew looks freeky now. He shouldn't have lost so much weight. Or he needs a tan or something.

July 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Giondomenico

Thank you for the honest truth....I couldn't have said it any better,,,

August 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Andrew Messenger

People can read what they want into comments. Bob is the king of Price Is Right. As such, he can say whatever he wants. I can see what Bob says in his statement: “does the show differently than I did…I tried to make the show really exciting, and he doesn't do that. He just plays the games."

Carey is a dry humorist. His demeanor does not exhibit excitement. No big deal. Everybody can get over that eventually.

There will never be another Bob Barker on The Price Is Right. It is sort of like when they tried to replace Richard Dawson on The Family Feud, and I think Carey did that one as well, did he not?

The show is not the same, but it doesn't mean the show is bad now that Bob is gone. It just isn't the same.

July 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

Drew Carey is a likeable guy and I think Price as a whole sells itself with whatever warm body they throw up there but replacing what Barker brought to the table is impossible. Barker was genuine in his excitement, comfortable being in your living room, affable and corny. Carey comes from a stand-up background and while pretty good as a host he appears timid at times and I know why. His handlers have probably told him that his nightclub schtick can't really be used on a daytime game show. Sometimes you can just see him grappling in his mind as to whether he should unleash a comment or not.

I think Barker should've kept his mouth closed but his observations are exactly how I felt when I saw Carey. The excitement level kind of dropped. I remember thinking that an 80 something Barker was truly amazing because Drew isn't half bad, but he isn't Bob Barker.

July 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JDB

Poor Bob. Senility is finally setting in. We can't all be as perfect as you Bob. Wait, weren't you screwing around with some of the hostesses on the show? Oh, that's right, Drew does have more class than you but I guess that's boring.

July 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Marina

If Bob thinks the show is boring, he obviously didn't see the April 1st show. That was one of the best episodes ever. All the contestants were named Pat and MiMi helped judge the games. I do think Drew could be a little more dynamic sometimes but he's new at this in the scheme of things. Give him a chance to come into his own as the host of this show.

July 30, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. Old Buzzard

Hello,
    I LOVE the show now with Drew Carey!! He is so warm and genuine and naturally funny. Unlike Barker in every way, thank goodness. I never watched with Barker. He always struck me as a big phoney, mean and nasty. HE'S the one who just went through the motions and now he's just jealous. Carey is everything Barker wished he could have been.

Evidently the audience thinks so too. I've never seen so many people, including grown men, run up and give him a genuine hug and kiss. Great to watch!! You just keep being yourself Drew and your great crew!!
    Buzzard

July 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

Barker used to take those hugs but by the time he hit his seventies they became tedious for him. Bob just couldn't get clobbered anymore. In the later years you can tell that there were guys off camera that would tell contestants not to jump all over him. Part of the charm of the show that ended years ago and now Drew Carey brings it back. Still like Barker overall.

July 30, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  25. mark

Just a follow up on game shows and there hosts. Barker was really in a league of his own. For an overall entertainment and charisma factor only Richard Dawson could really compare to Bob. And I've been watching Jeopardy some lately and while Alex Trebek isn't a Barker or Dawson he's truly amazing. Think about it. Every show he reads all of those questions, with the correct pronounciations, in perfect cadence while keeping the show flowing and entertaining. They may never replace him.

July 29, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mark

I never watched the show that much and Barker could make me cringe at times but Drew Carey, while not awful, is just not cutting it by comparison. I loved his sitcom series and his standup act but I don't get how anyone could say Carey tops Barker on Price. Game shows have come and gone since 1972, when as a little kid I'd watch the show over summer break. It was a big hit then and Barker sustained it for all of those years. I'll give Carey this, it was a gutsy career move to follow Bob Barker.

July 29, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bringbackthebarkernow

BRING BACK THE BARKER!!! COME ON DOWN MAN!!!

July 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. STLrose

I thought my day was long and tedious, and then I clicked on this story. Is someone setting old Bob and young(er) Drew up for a cage match? This was a pathetic story about a man who did a job for 37 years, is still getting paid for it and is now covering his wrinkly, saggy ole' bootie trying to take back some less than flattering remarks he made about his successor. My day has just sunk to a new low as I type this message about an article I didn't care about in the first place. Just another cog in the wheel...I'm ready for my nap now.

July 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  29. beast

okayy most of u jus got off subj but anway. I came up on watchin da "price is Right". Man im a youngster and i am a huge fan of bob. I mean there can never be another. I was extremely sadd wen i heard he was retiring:((..i honestly completely stopped watchin it wen i found out it was Drew hostin it.. his old show wasn't even funny.I watched a few seconds of da 1st time he was up there and..REALLY??..i was jus hopin BoB Barker the 1 and only would jus decide to come back from looking at that. No disrespect to Drew cuz u gettin dat paper but find sumn else.And Bob I dont blame you u gettin yo money 4rm so u gucci fam'

July 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LRoy

I used to watch Drew on Whose Line and his own show. That's the ONLY reason I watch.

Same with Wayne Brady on Let's Make a Deal.

I would like to see a celebrity show and have all the reasonable prizes go to charities...to people who can really USE that stuff other than way too expensive furniture and games and pricy cars that no one in their right mind would buy on their own.

July 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. xstongue

I am 53 been watching the show for years. Drew is doing a great job, way better than (get your dog nutered) Bob. Bob is just jealous that hes being way out performed. Bob is not even in Drew Carry's league....

July 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Stella

It's a game show people...who the heck cares?? The morons that go on that show make it what it is. Who really cares who the host is.

July 29, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ellie in Ohio

I went to the price is right when BB was there. I also made a trip to see the show with Drew. I LOVE DREW! Bob... sorry you are just old. Drew has brought new life and a new generation to The Price is Right. Please really retire Bob. Your time has passed. THE PRICE IS RIGHT is now Drew's baby... let him alone to shine!

July 29, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Hey Ellie....Get a L . I . F . E.

July 29, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • kp

Ellie has a life and Daniel you are an idiot. I am one of the old people who NOW watches Price is Right because Bob Barker isn't on it. He stayed on way too long and his tired and worn out format as well as his not so nice treatment of many of the contestants seems to be forgotten. He is far from being a god of game shows. Drew Carey is funny and entertaining. He actually responds to the contestants and you can see that they like him as well as have fun trying to win the prizes. No, Ellie you have the right idea. Some people just can't handle change and have way too much time on their hands to write on these comment spaces. Daniel you need to get a life–soon.

July 30, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  34. stu

& bob stayed too long. it was embarrassing when he didn't turn the hearing aid up.

July 29, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  35. stu

DREW spelled in greek=suck. Like his comedy, his hosting talent =o
    Y/how he got this job is beyond me. or how is commedy show lasted. he's another no talent in hollywierd. like his comedy..he phones is hosting duties in. Time for a new host Price Is Right= joan rivers.

July 29, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • John mulrenin

Could not agree with you more! Carey NEVER shuts his mouth and mugs for the camera to no end. I could go on and on but those are my two biggest gripes. Hope his contract is up–SOON!

July 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. henry

Are you kidding, that show was never exciting either now or with Bob. It is only old people who like to watch it, because it moves so slow, just like they do.

July 29, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Marco

...which is why college kids will come in big groups to the show during their Spring Breaks? Which is why a lot of the contestants aren't old? You're an idiot.

August 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Queen5duece

Boo for Drew Carey.

July 29, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  38. I m just saying

It is boring, watching the show with Drew Carey. He doesn't have the excitement that Mr Barker put in the show. He is a fake, and it's not fun to watch naymore

July 29, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  39. CJ

lmao someone just doesnt want to lose their royalties

July 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • KellyJ

I thought it was only me who noticed that part of the story! I would have cleaned it up myself after i realized that my check could be cut short! LOL

July 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  40. jacks

Bob Barker is Right. The show isn't exciting anymore and Carey is just going through the motions. Just goes to show, Bob Barker could not be replaced.

July 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ER RN

Bob Barker is 86, not 76.

July 28, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Mark

Drew is a great host, ineteracts much better with the contestants than Bob did in the past few years of his tenure. Drew is a great breath of fresh air. Much more warm and friendly and encouraging the players. He deserves the Emmy

July 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • PK

Poor CBS...first Katie Couric, now Drew Carey. Although I like and respect both of them. They were the wrong choices for both jobs.

July 29, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  43. C Haywood

Drew Carey is the saddest host I've ever seen its just pitiful. I won't watch because of him.

July 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mounty

he's not 76, he's 86!

July 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boof

I don't what's sadder. Knowing how old he is or admitting it. My condolences.

July 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mblaire

Boof,

It says he's 86 in the article. If you could read, you'd know that too. J/K...but really.

July 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jeff

I saw the clip on "TMZ" the other night. I was a little shocked. Bobbo should have been a little more careful with his choice of words(notice, he cleaned up his act not long after). What was surprising was the still of Drew Carey that was used to illustrate the story...he seems to have lost some weight...of course, you try to save as much room as possible when you drive around in a mini Cooper.

July 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  46. @beenz

I think he is dead... there's something fishy going on here.
    you ever seen weekend at Bernie's?

July 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  47. beenz

why do I always think Bob Barker is dead? It always surprises me when there's a story about him. I must be getting old.

July 28, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  48. N

My only regret in life is never being a contestant on The Price Is Right while Bob Barker was the host.

July 28, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • N

Never gonna happen, sweetheart.

July 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Julia Randolph, J.D.

That's just what you two should do. Or send FB messages back and forth. That way, everyone doesn't HAVE to be exposed to your two person continual conversation that ceased to be about the article five comments ago.

July 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ The Real @N

If you want people to mind there own business then don't post your personal disputes to a public message board. Do so and me and everyone else in the world has every right to comment.

July 29, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian Battles

Barker was a "sorry" man host of the show for far too long. Drew is wonderful and now catch the show here and show and now. I am on a long term disable and look for interesting programs. The criminal "celebrity" shows as "Judge Judy" are creating are are in the same zone. Glad to see showing of daytime drama shows dying out.

Brian

July 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

wow you watch too much tv

July 31, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roberta

Life a bit slow for you?

July 31, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |