Hugh Laurie to record blues album
July 27th, 2010

Hugh Laurie to record blues album

Today is clearly "actors who moonlight as musicians" day: Hugh Laurie is the latest thespian who plans to step into a recording booth.

The “House” star has signed with Warner Music to produce a New Orleans blues album, the record company said in a press release.

“I am drunk with excitement at this opportunity,” Laurie said in the statement. “I know the history of actors making music is a checkered one, but I promise no one will get hurt.”

But the 51-year-old actor isn't a musical novice; he's a predominantly self-taught piano player and has written and sung music throughout his career. "House" fans know that Laurie's alter-ego, Gregory House, has been known to break out a little blues on the piano, and even the series soundtrack bears a bit of Laurie's influence.

According to Grammy-winning producer Joe Henry, who will team up with Laurie to produce the album, “all musicians are actors to begin with – our jobs being to embody characters and articulate stories for three and four minutes at a time," he said in the statement.

"I've been a great fan of Hugh's work on screen, and believe purely that he is investing the same wit, intelligence and emotional generosity into his music."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Connor

Hugh Laurie has got to the most versatile actor I've ever seen except for maybe Steve Martin just in terms of acting, writing, and music. The talents he possesses are extraordinary and seemingly endless.

August 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. virtuality

Hugh Laurie is one of the greatest performers of all time! He plays the piano and the guitar; he is able to imitate an american without a hint of his very British accent. When I watch "House" I actually feel smarter and those people who don't get the show, or the subtle jokes, or his character on the show (like my dad), don't realize what a talented genius Hugh Laurie (and the writers, co-stars, etc.) really are. I do actually like the original cast members though. Mr. Laurie, I will buy your album without hesitation. BTW, you kicked-ass on the Jay Leno show and I love the opening theme on "House".

July 30, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lisa

Amazing how there is never anything bad about Hugh at all..we all love him and his music. He is just one huge talent that just keep going and going and going. LOVE HIM!

July 29, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Housewife

This is excellent news! This is a record I would buy without any kind of prior listen–just his name on it proves that it will be a work of superior quality.

July 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Geri

This guy can do just about anything; he is an excellent actor and now displaying his talents as a gifted musician... what's next?

July 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Suz

This guy has talent just oozing out of his pores. He can act, obviously. He plays music, and does it well. And he also writes (reading "The Gun Seller" right now, loving it!). I'm not an advocate of cloning, but if it ever comes to pass – they should start with Hugh Laurie! (And I want one!)-**

July 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mystic River

I have never heard him play the blues on House, not being a huge fan of the show. But I have heard him play the piano in a few scenes on old episodes of Jeeves & Wooster, and he's not bad at all. I'd download a song or two when his album is done, and give him a fair listen.

July 29, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. EP

SUUUUUUUUPER excited!!! He's an amazing actor and I love his musical influences on the show...can't wait to hear!

July 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bubba

He can call his backup band the Blackadders . . .

July 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. malcolm

Back on the old Brit Comedy show "Hugh and Laurie" he used to close each show with some snazzy playing – he's for real! Though I'd love to see him pull a Joachim Phoenix and go the rap route...

July 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoveHugh

A Bit of Fry and Laurie.... with Stephen Fry. Great show! My favorite song of his was "Mystery." Look it up on youtube. So funny!

July 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Florida Dave

Well, I did like Hugh's guitar bits!

July 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. edgar

i cant wait

July 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. d0rm0use

can't wait – love it when he plays on the show

July 28, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kat

COOL!!! I he is SUCH a great musician! Can't wait

July 28, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lee

NICE !!!

July 28, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Beasterdamas

Hugh,

Let me know if you need a good harmonica player...

Beast Regards,

http://www.eclecticbeastband.com just link music in the homepage and have at it...The catalog is open...

July 28, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  17. bucko

Dude can play. Loved his bit on Leno last year.

July 28, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  18. GZ

Finally, some quality music to look forward to!

July 27, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |