Eric Roberts joins 'Celebrity Rehab'
July 27th, 2010

Eric Roberts joins 'Celebrity Rehab'

The upcoming season of VH1's “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew” has added another star to its ranks: Julia Roberts’ older brother, Eric.

Roberts, 54, is turning to Dr. Drew Pinsky because of his marijuana use. “Eric is incredibly health- and body-conscious, and has realized the need to take this step to improve his overall well-being,” a representative for the actor told CNN in a statement.

“Being a celebrity in rehab is ultimately celebrity rehab even in a private setting, so Eric is interested in using this opportunity to make a statement on his belief that marijuana is indeed an addictive drug,” the statement went on.

The actor’s wife, Eliza, told E! News that while Roberts quit alcohol and drugs in 1995, he still has a lingering interest in marijuana.

Although Roberts uses the drug to treat anxiety – with a prescription, his wife notes – “a dependency is still a dependency, and he doesn’t want to be dependent on it anymore,” she told E!. "He decided to go there because that's where Dr. Drew is. Eric had never seen the show, but [he's] aware of Dr. Drew, and his approach and his positive energy and all of that, and that's something that Eric really wanted for himself."

Eric, she said, did weigh his decision to do "Celebrity Rehab" very heavily, because "he really didn’t want any negative effect on anyone in the family. He is greatly concerned about that."

You can catch the “Runaway Train” star, along with Jeremy London, supermodel Janice Dickinson, Jason Wahler of “The Hills” and alleged Tiger Woods mistress Rachel Uchitel, when the new season of “Celebrity Rehab” kicks off later this year.

Younger sis Julia will have her own moment in the spotlight when “Eat, Pray, Love” debuts in theaters August 13.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Nazmul

nikki,A guy who smokes, be it weed or tbaocco, may be at risk of low sperm count from what I've read, it works like this:Both grass and cigs contain nicotine. Nicotine constricts blood vessels a powerful vasoconstrictor. So, diminished blood flow to the testicles could be an answer to low sperm count. So, to answer your question, "if a guy smokes a lot of weed , is his sperm count low?" No smoking a "lot" of weed does not necessarily drop his sperm count. It COULD, mind you, be something to look at if he's been diagnosed as having a low sperm count, but just being a stoner does not automatically make his count low."will he be able to make babies?" Provided a willing partner, I can't see why not.

March 17, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. kelly

untreated addiction is one of the saddest things in the world – welcome home. http://www.stopoxy.com

January 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lauren Allen

Yeah, Eric is still a MAJOR babe, no doubt about it. But, come on? Reefer? And what is a year without Janice Dickenson(who ought to be in Bellevue forever) spewing her knowledge of recovery with other addicts (why can't she help herself?) It is a fact, though, that ANYONE with a SAG card (Screen Actors' Guild) if they appear in the public domain just once a year, automatically receives FREE HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!! How about that? Just for listening to their goofy tales and regrets (don't we all-boo-hoo!) So, these has-beens get FREE HEALTH INSURANCE for another year just for taking up couch space. A true sign of the apocalyse. What would happen if they really got sick?

January 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mojo

I don't believe for one minute Eric had to go on celebrity rehab to resurrect his career. I have followed his career and he is truly a versitile actor. In fact, he is a true character actor. His career spans across movies, episodic TV and soaps. I am happy he was able to release his pent up anger. I could relate to his issue. I too had a very aggressive Mom. Angry women are difficult mothers. Eric is the best actor in his family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 31, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. k

i think both agruements are valid. Weed is a plant and not addictive in it's natural state. We really don't know what he is smoking. I've personally know people who are addicted to "geek joints" weed with crack. Eric probably has an addictive personality like most people, so regardless of his drug choice, he needs help to deal with his persoanlity issues. kinda like people who are addicted to being in everybodies business especially famous people.

August 20, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Damon

Weed is no more addicting than your favorite hobby. Anyone can quit, and like any interest, you might eventually get bored with it and quit. Or maybe not. I like it, but sometimes I get bored and quit for months at a time.

August 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hyphywithit

Everything is addictive. Bottom line is that weed can be addictive. Just like alcohol and cigarettes can be addictive. Granted weed addiction is much lesser than both alcohol and cigarettes. Weed addiction is a mental game and in that regard it really enters the realm of dependency more than addiction.

August 3, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ken

August 2, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Angelina

I think it's very sad that so many people are in denial about the addictive properties of marijuana. There are many people smoking pot to the point of not wanting to work, stealing, YES it also causes car accidents, etc. And very often leads to other addictions.
    Wake up people and get a clue that pot smokers are part of what's bringing this country down!

July 30, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leo

Molly :some people have "Duel" addications. I was a heavy drinker,smoked weed daily,used cocaine –I worked on & off.Finally got into an "out-patient"treatment center - talk to my therapist & counsellors - weed use is addictive.Your point is also taken with respect but you are wrong about marijuana.

July 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anna

It is so refreshing to see so many people responding who are not brainwashed by the ONDCP! Thank you America for restoring my faith in your intelligence!! Perhaps there is a chance we will someday have sensible drug policies in our country. http://www.schoolsnotprisons.com

July 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. neilio

c'mon! weed addictive?? PLEASE find another way to try and get people to remember you Eric. You weren't that cool to begin with, now, because your running out of money, you drag the already beaten and battered reputation of marijuana through the dirt?? I triple dog dare ANYONE to prove weed is addictive. it may lead to cookie addictions, but any side effect from smoking pot is the users fault! Here's an idea...DONT SMOKE! Smoke some meth, REALLY get addicted to something, then maybe, MAYBE i'll care. Maybe.

July 28, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. T2

Wow this story is really sad. I have been smoking marijuana almost every day for about 8 years. I just graduated college and needed a job so I stopped. You don't need gum or a patch or rehab to do it. Anyone who thinks it is physically addictive needs to look up the facts. Marijuana is not dangerous. In fact, its better to smoke a bowl than it is to take Tylenol.

July 28, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. alan spence

OMG Eric, Why,,ohh Why, Pot! atleast that one broad Ukitan? or what ever made up a real addition, and this chick, are u kidding me, I think Dr, Drew should be brought up in fraud charges! This guy is a kook, hell he needs a check up from the neck up!

July 28, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Robin

Good Luck Eric. Don't listen to anyone. Follow your gut. It takes courage to go to rehab, and even more courage to be in the public's eye in rehab. Don't listen to the nay sayers.

July 28, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. Terri

Janice Dickinson who has been through rehab a number of times, Jeremy London who recenting stated he had been kidnapped and forced to do drugs and Rachel Uchitel who just seems to be addicted to other women's husbands. These people are there for the paycheck and the exposure no other reason.

July 28, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Robin

This message is to Anna who states Marajuana is not addictive. Wake up, idiot. Do your research before you speak. Marjuana is a drug. Obviously, your hooked and in denial.

July 28, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Molly

Respectfully Robin, you are the one who needs to do your research. Marijuana has been proven NOT to be physically addictive. As someone who smoked it when I was younger, I know it's not. Have you tried it? If not, then I suggest you do before you make such statements that Anna must be addicted and in denial. I have a teenage son that I hope never touches any type of drugs or alcohol. If my son does eventually experiment, I can only hope and pray that he experiments with pot and not "real drugs" or alcohol.

July 28, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • molly

By the way, Marijuana is not a drug......It's a PLANT that grows naturally in many areas of the world. Cocaine, Meth, and even alcohol is manufactured by humans.

July 28, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Anna

I have done my research for many years. Now it's your turn. Marijuana is a plant, not a drug. It is not chemically altered in any way before use like other drugs are. No one has ever died from marijuana use alone and it has been proven by science that it is not physically addictive.

Robin, do you drink coffee every morning before work? If so, try stopping for a week and see how you feel. Chances are you are a caffeine addict and didn't even know it. I'd stop throwing stones from your glass house if I were you.

July 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Molly

Give it up Eric. Pot is NOT addictive and this has been proven by science! I too think this is a desperate attempt to revive his career. I have tried it myself and know beyond a doubt that it is not addictive. It upsets me that he would use this issue for his personal gain. There are many that have fought long and hard to have it legalized for medicinal purposes and he is jepordizing that with his BS claim for attention. Shame on you Eric.

July 28, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. deb

Weed is not physically addictive. It can become a crutch, however, like anything else, including eating too much. I used to smoke weed pretty much daily but only in the evenings after work, kind of like having a drink to unwind. A couple of times during my life when I wasn't happy for whatever reason...everyone has hills and valleys in their lives...I overdid it a little but now I only have an occasional hit or two maybe once every 2 or 3 months. If you are a stable, responsible type of person you aren't going to "abuse" it. The whole "reefer madness" has given marijuana a bad rap. It should be legal.

July 28, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  20. teresa

Good job taking the spotlight from his much more famous sister, Julia Roberts, who has a new movie coming out. So he couldn't go into a private rehab? Me thinks he does protest too much.

July 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. thomas

wow, that is a slap in the face to the other "stars" who are there and actually addicted to real drugs. good luck kicking the weed habit, lol

July 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chubs2100

I think the government should legalize marijuana, I have never been a smoker of any kind, but I firmly believe that if they legalize it and tax it, the profit for the US, would be great. If you look at some of the 3rd world countries that there citizens can smoke freely, they have less crime. Our government can't control it because they in a large part help to bring it in the country. I could go on and on about this, but I just want to state that I am a person that never used drugs or drink alcohol. The government legalized alcohol and we are profiting off of liquor, they should do the same thing.

July 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. RG

Unfortunately, I think that his desire to want to be on "Celebrity rehab" has more to do with wanting to be more visible to the public in hopes of resurrecting his career and perhaps cashing in on the publicity. It's really sad that we actually watch these shows to promote these people who are obviously not there for treatment but for celebrity.

July 27, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. N

Someone send me to Celebrity Rehab for being addicted to Eric Roberts. Mmmrowww.

July 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • @N

There's no rehab for stupidity.

July 28, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • N

Seriously? That's the best you can come up with?
      I mean, really, if you can't even muster a creative insult why bother posting one at all?

July 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @N

Frankly, your post didn't deserve a better insult.

July 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Fred G. Sanford

yeah. He just wants attention. Like he has never heard of "Celebrity Rehab".....and for Weed???? Whatever tool!!! Marijuana is not addictive unless you are a weak, spineless shell of a human who needs it as a crutch.

July 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Anna

He just wants attention. Anyone with half a brain knows that marijuana is not addictive. It's been proven by science, fool! It is unfortunate that he is trying to undo the progress that has been made in dispelling the "reefer madness" lies. I only hope America doesn't buy into this crap.

July 27, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leo

Good luck to Eric Roberts ! I "smoked" for close to 20 years–off marijuana 5years,no booze for 7.I am 47 years old & life is better sober.

July 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Molly

Give me a break Leo. I am very proud of you for giving up Alcohol (which is extremely addictive) but if you smoked for 20 years, you of all people should know that Marijuana is not addictive. Yes life is better sober, but don't put Pot in the same catagory as alcohol. Alcoholism is a true addiction which can be directy attributed to:
      Drunk driving deaths
      Domestic Abuse
      Outrageous and often violent public behavior
      Loss of job, home, family and friends
      Blackouts – no memory of the stupid things you did
      Liver Disease
      Just to name a few. Show me one person who had the same results from Marijuana use! I have a brother who is an alcoholic. I know what addiction is and what it can do to an individual and their family. It is an insult to those dealing with true addiction or those who have family members dealing with addiction to even compare marijuana use to alcohol addiction. I wish Marijuana was my brothers drug of choice! Alcohol is not a choice, it's an addiction. Marijuana is a choice! Saying they are even remotely the same is total crap!

July 28, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • jim musicman jones

trying to reach eric roberts, 67 year old ben in biz 40 years, you guys are like contacting the res if not harder. don't fel like name dropping will be screned by some intern ad spam, anyway ejones100@comast.net.
      cheers, J