Things are heating up on 'True Blood'
July 26th, 2010

Things are heating up on 'True Blood'

Editor’s Note: This post contains spoilers for the Sunday, July 25 episode of HBO’s “True Blood.”

Remember the days of season three, when we lay awake at night wondering if anything was ever going to happen on our beloved hot mess of a show? Well, Jackson was definitely where the action was last night.

After Bill and Sookie were ambushed at Alcide’s, they were brought back to Russell’s place, where Lorena and Eric appeared from various nooks and crannies in the house.

Russell was displeased that Bill sought out Sookie to tell her to flee the city, but before he could go into further detail, Bill staked one of the vampire guards! And then he tried to stake Russell! Bill failed, of course, and Russell banished him to the old slave quarters on the property and instructed Lorena to kill him.

Eric was tasked with detaining Sookie while Russell mended things with Talbot, who marched off in a huff at Russell’s indifference toward the bloody pile of vampire remains in their foyer. Can you blame him, really? I’m willing to bet it’s near impossible to get guts out of marble.

When Russell returned, he and Sookie played twenty questions. Sookie told Russell about her telepathic abilities, but confessed that she didn’t know how she’s able to become a human stun gun. She begged Russell to spare Bill, and he in turn showed her the surveillance file that was found at Bill’s house. Oh snap!

Russell then left with Eric to see Queen Sophie-Anne in New Orleans. Upon arrival, the King proposed marriage, saying that she stood to benefit because he would erase her mounting debt. If she refused, she would surely be busted for selling vampire blood and would thus face the wrath of the American Vampire League.

Eric got his two cents in by calling Sophie-Anne out for framing him for the blood sales and formally renounced his allegiance to her, claiming loyalty to Russell.

Meanwhile, in the old slave quarters - and in what I thought were some of this episode’s most powerful scenes - Lorena went about torturing Bill, making full use of the obligatory Table Full O’ Torture Tools found in your finer dungeons and/or horror films. Their exchanges were nothing short of heartbreaking, and I have a feeling that we’ll find out more about Lorena’s past in future episodes.

Coot and Debbie then barged in, strung out and itching for a fix. Lorena permitted them to feed on Bill and skulked off to weep blood all over her drool-worthy outfit.

Let's turn to Lafayette and Jesus, who continued to get to know one another as their marathon first date wound down. Their good time is short-lived when old Felton Norris and a couple of other n’er do wells from Hotshot show up at Lafayette’s place looking for trouble. Lafayette fought them off with Jesus’ help, but not before outing himself as a drug dealer. This didn’t sit well with Jesus, who declared the date over.

Down by the lake, Jason and the guarded, mysterious Crystal got in some quality canoodling. He was left puzzled by her strange behavior as she caught a whiff of something and fled into the night.

In a later attempt to woo Crystal, Jason showed up at her home in Hotshot, flowers in hand. Felton answered, bearing the scars from the previous night’s rumble with Lafayette. He called Crystal to the door and she denied knowing Jason. To rub salt in the wound, she also referred to Felton as her fiancé. Jason left, dejected, but it seemed to me that he knew something was fishy.

Over at Sam’s, Tommy thanked him for letting him stay the night. Sam pressed him for answers on what was going on between him and Joe Lee. Tommy agreed to tell him, but only when he’s ready.

Melinda showed up and asked for a moment alone with Tommy. Those dog-fighting rumors we’ve all been buzzing about appear to be true: Joe Lee has been lining his pockets with the winnings from Melinda and Tommy’s participation in illegal dog fighting matches. Tommy is now the family breadwinner and Melinda warned him against deserting her and Joe Lee.

Sam put two and two together later in the episode when Arlene told him she saw Joe Lee and Melinda leaving their home that morning with a pit bull (who we know to be Tommy) in tow, sending Sam on a search for his brother.

Surely you haven’t forgotten about the impending nuptials between our resident nutcake Franklin and Poor Tara (copyright, me). As creepy and delightful as ever, Franklin revealed to Tara that Sookie was on the property.

Upon hearing this news, Tara acted upon the exit strategy she has no doubt had time to plan, what with having spent much of this season in varying stages of restraint. She seduced Franklin into untying her before they made love, but not before she took a considerable chunk out of his neck.

Knowing she’s somewhere in the house, Tara beamed a message to Sookie, telling her that she’s going to bust them out, “Thelma & Louise” style.

At sunup, Tara executed step one of “Operation Get Me The Hell Out of Here.” My mind blown by the wall of medieval weapons in an otherwise tastefully decorated bedroom, and when Tara killed Franklin with that carefully-selected mace. Poor Tara no more!

She then found Sookie and together they overpowered Sookie’s werewolf guard and made a break for it. As Tara sprinted across the lawn in search of a way out, she ran into another werewolf. But it was Alcide! He told Tara he was one of the good guys there to find Sookie.

Sookie, meanwhile, made it to the slave quarters just as Debbie and Coot rush out, high on Bill’s blood. They ran away oblivious as Sookie entered and found Bill near death. Their reunion was brief as Lorena appeared and acted on a multi-season grudge, her fangs sunk deep into Sookie’s neck.

I loved this episode and didn’t catch my breath until the credits rolled. What did you think?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Tasha

Dag i really wanted it to go good with bill and sookie but after i saw what he did i think she would be better of with that new werewolf and i want frankin to be with tara they look good together

August 5, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ABY

Love True Blood, Watch over and over. I do like season 1 & 2 the best but season 3 is a little darker but great. Love Tara, want to see more of Pam and Jessica. Enough will Jason, more Eric please.. Can't wait for Sunday...

August 5, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dichelle

Let me start off by saying I LOVE TRU BLOOD, this show is my Sunday night TV fix I've been a loyal watcher from season one, this season for me personally is by far the best, each episode gets better and better, I agree with everyones opinion that Franklin isn't dead he'll have to make a grand reappearance which i'm sure will have all of our jars on the floor....I can't wait till Sunday episode the week doesn't go by fast enough..TRUE TRU BLOOD FAN!!!!!!! :o)

August 4, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mia

Loved this episode. Personally I really dont like Bill Compton. I am an Eric Northman girl all the way. Loved the first episode where we got to see his butt. My hubby watches for Miss Anna. Hated the second season because i thought the maryann storyline got old really quick considering it only had like 4-6 chapters in the books. And i understand that they are not going by the books but in complete honesty I can not wait to see some Eric and Sookie action. Bill just creeps me out and just seems to me that there is something that he is keeping from Sookie. Like his real reason for being in Bon Temps. Anyway love this season so far and CANT WAIT FOR SUNDAY! Sundays do not come fast enough. Yay for Mr Northman. I want Eric for a present. Can I have him??

August 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. #1Grandma

Absolutely the best show on television. I have viewing parties every Sunday that are getting larger by the week.

August 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Suds

This show can't, just can't, get any more stupid. And is Miss Pacquin, aka Sookie, getting more and more unattractive, as in homely. Whatzhisname who plays Bill has got to be the stiffest actor in town. And what's up with the lame werewolves....really. I only watch it for Eric. He's a very interesting actor.

July 31, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TB#1Fan

I'll wear your ribcage as a hat...LOVE IT!

July 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • carole

I forgot about that line! Yes, it was awesome! I gotta remember that one!

August 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lika

This episode is shut my mouth crazy, I must admit I sorta feel into watching the episode with the wolf and the bar and the vampires, but when Tara gave Franklin that beat down. I was like whoa!!!! I sorta thought you had to stake a vampire in the heart. Although Franklin won't have much of a head left. He might???? Be alive/dead. Can't wait for the next episode.

July 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. stupid

Stupid show is getting stupider.

July 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

So don't watch.

July 29, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drags

Wayyy too many possibilities for me!! I just hope that Sookie ceohsos to be with Eric because he has given himself to her and now is not regretting the decision. He is himself again and still loves her and wants to give her everything. I just don't see her and Bill together anymore. I also wouldn't care if the following people met the true death( haha): Debbie, Tara, Jesus, Hoyt, Holly, any of the witches, Marcus or the two bewitched sheriffs. This is because they have had their run and their storyline has thinned out. I love Jessica's new badass self and Jason and her have great chemistry so neither of them should die. Andy, Terry, Arlene, and most def Lafayette is always good for a laugh so not them either. Obviously not Sookie or the the main three, er four men that wanna be with her Bill, Eric, Alcide, or Sam. Only time will tell

March 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Avelyne

I love love love this season!! I want a Werewolf (preferably Alcide)!!! Yummy!! I used to want a vampire – Eric – but now, I'm hooked on Alcide!!!! And the books are a great read!!!! Anna – you and the rest of the cast are rocking!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!! You've got my vote for "people's choice"!!!!!

July 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. adriansmommy

i love this season much betther then last season but season 1 is still prolly my fav!!! but evey episode is getting better an better so far i hope they keep it up!!! i love the sookie's wolf friend Alicide (i hope i spelled that right)!!!!

July 29, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. Anna Paquin

I'm glad y'all like this show so much! I only wish that they would write in a steamy love scene between Bill, Eric, and myself. Guess y'all will just have to wait...

July 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Anna !! You rock !! You and Stephen make the best couple ever, on screen and off screen. I love this season so far – but my very favorite episode is season 1, episode 1, when you first meet Bill at Merlotte ! That is magic !.

July 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimms

Oh Miss Paquin so do we! :) My hubby only watches the show for you. You rock and Congrats on getting married!

August 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kara

I am so over Lorena too. she has become more of an annoyance then ever. Will Bill just kill her already?! I like the storyline with Tara and Franklin. His crazy just adds to the whole series. Sad to see Eggs go- he was fine but that's ok. Franklin is more entertaining. I really hope Lafayette and Jesus work out. They would make a cute couple and I know Lafayette could get into enough trouble for the both of them.. Still curious as to what Sookie's other power is. I haven't read the books.. I love the show so far. Keep it coming!

July 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anita

Of course Franklin isn't dead, he'll regenerate and be back. Now, lets see if she can convince him the next time he catches up with her that she didn't do it (since he didn't see her), that it was someone else and they drug her off. Because of course we all know he will catch up with her (only the werewolf they overpowered could dispute her story and he could be dealt with if Tara claims he was the one who bludgeoned him). The Vamp I cannot wait to see die off is Lorena, can't stand her!!! Couldn't stand her in season 2 either.

July 28, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kim

Enough already with the books. This is the HBO show, not the novels.

July 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. amy

i love this that's all i can say,u guyz are d best,i really love the bella acts she so perfect and smart and the way tara and bill u guyz are d bomb.

July 28, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. amy

it's my first time, but i ave watched episode 1and2 i realy love thiz film i can't wait to watch episode 3 thanks and goodbye.

July 28, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. Preston

I think I hear wedding bells for Tara.
    Rutina's storyline is so delightfully effed-up and crazy. It is great.
    The actor who plays Russell is wonderful. He is delightful to watch. Even when he is just chatting I am entertained.
    What happened to Pam? We have watched Jason (minus a shirt) for 3 seasons and yet no Pam storyline?

July 27, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mrs. Northman

I am enjoying each and every episode this season! Definitely better that the whole Mary Ann deal from last season! I am a big fan of the books but I am enjoying the different storylines for all of the other characters! PLEASE BRING IN BUBBA! :)

July 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Courtney

<3'd this weeks episode.. it kinda freaked me out with tara and franklin when she killed him.. but i dont think hes dead either!

July 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nel

Loved this week's episode!! Every week getting better and better

July 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  22. th

I am still sad to see that Bubba has not been put into the show!!!! He would have been great!

July 27, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • kk

Oh, Bubba...forgot about him, it would have been great to have had him in the show! Maybe he'll pop up later?

July 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

I'm thinking they won't show Bubba because of all the issues surrounding the use of Elvis image.

July 28, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • carole

It is a little disappointing that Bubba is not around, but Alan Ball has said in a couple of interviews that there will be no Bubba. Part of the decision is the because of the reason you theorized, and I think I also read that Bubba doens't really fit Ball's vision for the show.

August 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tiff

I am soo hyped up withthis season.. it is getting really good! better than that rediculous crap with Mary Ann last season!

Franklin is of course not dead.. no stake, no chopped head= still alive! I am so loving all the changes fromthe books! It makes it exciting for me! I still have to guess at what is going to happen next! its great!

July 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jess

I can't wait to see how Tara and Franklin's relationship plays out. The only disappointment for me was the lack of Alcide in this episode, although the little we did see of him was spectacular!

July 27, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jim

Each weeks leaves you hanging....sign of a great show.. http://bit.ly/TBse03ep06

July 27, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  26. Faker

Every week it just gets better! I am obsessed with this show! Franklin Mott is such a freak. He is a great addition to the show. Along with Alcide...

July 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. AS7016

I forgot to add...Lorena was brillant! To bad it took her this long to show it

July 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. AS7016

Im suprised that im crossing my fingers that Tara gets turned vampire. Shes such an unstable human, she'd make for a crazy vamp. Even though she smashed in franklins head, dosent mean hes gone right? She didnt stake him, cant he heal? Also Is anyone else disapointed in Alcides character? Im sorry but Im a book fan, and he was such an exciting character I was really looking forward to him! He's kinda boring so far.

July 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • faker

Alcide is a little boring on the show even though he is fabulous to look at. He was a much better character in the books.

July 26, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Remi

I totally agree with Mike. You know that Eric has been waiting to him the person responsible for killing his family.
    Will Sookie get in the way...or better yet help Eric get his revenge?!?! Cannot wait till next Sunday!

July 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Eyeball

You left out Eric laying the groundwork for his revenge – he's been flirting with Russell, hoping to get the King's guard down. At the right moment, the king's going to be a pile of red goo.

July 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mike

For me the most interesting story that will unfold is how Eric will get his father's crown back. He has waited this long for an opportunity. His story is going to be one of the best of the season.

July 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kasey

If they are sticking with the books, Sookie truly doesn't know what her other "power" is. This season is amazing and I can't wait for Sunday night!

July 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Miranda

By far the best episode....can't wait for next Sunday!

July 26, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. chris

it was INSANE!! best episode of the season( and certianly a contender for one of the best of the series) missed Hoyt but beyond that, BRILLANT!

July 26, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. KAD

Last night's episode was excellent. I found my pulse racing whenever the story shifted to events involving Sookie, Tara, Franklin, Bill, Eric, Lorena, and Russell. I'm still warming to the other plotlines involving Sam and his family, Lafayette and Jesus, and Jason and Crystal but the Lousiana vs. Mississippi vampire (and werewolf) politics is some fascinating stuff. I cannot wait until next week. Great episode for a great series.

July 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Travelle

Now we're getting to the nitty-gritty of the season. Its about to pop!

July 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. nacho mama

Alas, I'm afraid Poor Tara didn't truly kill Franklin. She needed to pick the battle axe off the wall and chop off his head.

July 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • karina

exactly!! what was she thinking?

July 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eyeball

No doubt. You'd think by now she'd seen enough vampires die to know what happens. No boom, no red goo = no dead vampire.

July 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beck

Oh come on.... If she'd cut his head off, we wouldn't see him in later episodes. Of course she didn't kill him ( she thought she did), but she doesn't know all things about vampires. It's only been about 2 mos since she come face to face with a real vampire.

July 26, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

She needed to pick up a piece of wood and stake him if she really wanted to kill him.

July 27, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

I agree that Franklin the nutball will return and poor Tara will be off and running again!!

August 4, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dawn

Well, I don't think Franklin's dead, and I was really hoping that the show would mirror what happens in the book when Sookie met up with Lorena while Bill was slowly dying, but I agree that each episode is getting better than the last. I really hope they are able to see this show through all of the books.

July 26, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sacha

I love season 1 and two better than season 3. If sookie has powers how come she can't use it against the vamp. how come she still doens't know what she is or what she can do? imma wait and see. I hope it gets better

July 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |