Cameron Diaz: Stay married to one person? That's bull
July 23rd, 2010

Cameron Diaz: Stay married to one person? That's bull

Just when it seemed Cameron Diaz had hit a homerun by landing New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez, the “Knight and Day” star admits she’s open to playing the field.

"I think the big misconception in our society is that we're supposed to meet the One when we're 18 and we're supposed to get married to them and love them for the rest of our lives. Bull[expletive]," Diaz, 37, told UK's Stylist magazine. Instead, she suggests, “Have someone for five years and another person for another five years.”

The actress, who previously dated Matt Dillon, 46, Jared Leto, 38, and Justin Timberlake, 29, has been linked to 34-year-old baseball star Rodriguez since the spring, and the pair enjoyed a night out in New York City on July 18.

"I think people get freaked out about getting married and spending 20 or 30 years sleeping with the same person, but if that's the case, don't do it,” she told Sylist. “Life is long and lucky and yes, love might last forever, but you don't always live with the person you love forever."

1. Frank

Spoken like a person who can't hold onto a relationship. Sure, no one is saying she should get married, but you should try to make a relationship last. Love is important. You don't want to end up old and pathetic like Hugh Hefner – paying people to 'love' you.

September 22, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Margo Robson

I guess I'm wondering what happens to all these kids every 5 years...do they get a new daddy everytime the man-switch takes place...and looking at that picture she looks way older than 37...another thing A-Rod, he changes women like he changes underwear maybe all this is her cover-up when he moves on, you know so it will look like one of those amicable hollywood splits, really I could care less about CD but sometimes I wonder where this society is going.

July 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kari

Some of you are so close minded. Marriage isn't for everyone. I never thought I wanted to be married (although I did want children) until I met my husband. We're still in our first year and it's been a tough one...I know they say the first year is the hardest...and I hope that's somewhat true.

If we ever divorce, I'm gonna stick with my old gut feeling and NEVER remarry. Let her live her life how she wants. It's not like she's going around murdering people.

July 26, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. tvfan

tvfan

I put in a previous post on another site asking this. She said being married to one person is BS. My question is how long have her parents been married? Is that how she feels about her parents and I wonder how her parents feel about her comments on love and marriage. Pretty disappointing on her part IMO. One day she will meet the ONE and will feel like a fool for saying this. What makes her so appealing to men? She sounds like she wants to B@ng all the eligible men in Hollywood and not give a D–M how others feel. It sounds like she has major insecurities and seeks relief through bad relationships. I wouldn't want to give up my hubby for 5 years and be with someone else for another 5 years like she said. That's just nasty. I'm not saying she has to get married but she could try to be in a healthy relationship. It may do her some good. I've been happily married for 10+ years now and I love him more and more each day. She has lots of issues she needs to work on.

July 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pamala Meyering

She's gonna eat her words one day. That all fine and dandy if your tall, thin, blood, dimwitted and have the funds to travel all over. I've been HAPPILY married for 27 years to one man and Im just fine with. She will wake up one dayand be sad and alone.

July 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Victoria Moreland

Another lost, unsaved nutcase who'll bite the dust one day if she stays on this path, and once upon her arrival in hell, she'll wonder "what the hell happened".

July 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

She is right about one thing.....not everyone is meant to be married. My brother is one. He is a good guy but selfish in his lifestyle to no end. He does not need to be married with kids. Biblically, it states just this scenrio. There are some not meant for marriage and it's okay. But Cameron fails to see the blessing of finding that true love and spending the rest of you life with the ONLY one who can fully know you, understand you. That's my wife. She has obviously been hurt pretty bad in the past and this seems to be her cop-out on getting married.

July 25, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lisa

She is exactly right in what she says judging by the amount of negative responses – society does dictate that people should be married with kids – that is fine if that is what YOU want – but it should also be fine to live a life on your own or dating different people. I have been in two fairly long and happy relationships that didn't work out and now I am on my own, through my choice, and people look at me like they feel sorry for me I'm like 'No guys – I'm really happy on my own' – people should be able to live their life they way that they choose to live it without being judged or insulted because doesn't conform to some societal ideal!!!!

July 25, 2010 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. LoopsFroot

What works for her may not work for others and vice versa. I would rather take my time and build a relationship with someone than to get married for the sake of getting married. A year with the wrong person is a year too long. It all depends on what works for you.

July 24, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. james duran

feel bad for her, she will die old and lonely, my wife have been married 50 years , we love each other and have
    become best friends.

July 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B.G

I can say I would have stayed married to the women I loved and married,but she changed about 24 years into it and tried to gain her youth back . So she started to party again (Like a 25 year old) and she was 42 at the time and the kids were all teens or older (4 in all) and she ran into some old high school girl friends and then the Meth and other drugs took over . I tried to help her but she found a 23 year old boy to play with and at that point I'd had enough, So if you look at Cameron Diaz she's doing while she's not married and when she does finaly get's married she'll stop, but while your young soe your oat's cause after being married for 24 years and you up and leave your family, Someone is going to get hurt and as many as 5 can get hurt at the same time. But to anwser the question. YES you could stay in love forever. ( With the right person) and a (Team Player)

July 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. darlene d

Well, I am a hopeless romantic and I believe in true love. I was close to it about a year ago and then he passed away so I grieved and I'm moving on. I don't have to be married to find my true love or happiness because its the happiness within me that will sustain so if I find it....great. If not, so be it but I will continue to move forward.

July 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mitchman

She had better find someone and soon. Her looks are fading fast and sooner or later, she is going to have a harder time finding someone to use her because of her fame. He is like – Look at me..I'm Cameron Diaz – come bang me because I'm a star! The clock is ticking baby! Do you think A-Rod will keep her around after another few months? Has anyone?

July 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mitchman

Maybe she just knows no one would be able to tolerate her for 30 years!

July 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • tvfan

July 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nomorepolitix

Geesh. I wonder what her mom thought of that one. Sometimes, it's best just to shut your mouth.

July 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jason

I agree with her somewhat. Quit putting a time frame on things, if it happens, it happens. If you love someone and things change, move onto the next person that makes you happy. Live for yourself, not mainstream America.

July 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. TrappedInaBox

I think Cameron is lucky, because she truly knows who she is and what she wants. For some love is forever, for others, love is fleeting. Why judge another based on their own personal definition of it – the beauty is in love itself.

July 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Blow

You make a good point, but her words are as if she speaks for everyone – not just herself.

July 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • LittleCommonSense

I wonder if Cameron Diaz was working as a waitress and not a popular Hollywood actress, if anyone would pay ANY attention to anything that she said, much less that she is grounded or ingenious about her "world" views?

June 20, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. PiercedPsycho

I wish someone had told me that two and a half years ago. I was given the idea that I would find my true love young in life, and that we would be together forever.

I'm now getting ready for a divorce from a marriage I never wanted to a man I wasn't sure I truly loved.

July 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tony

Sylvia...you are disgusting.....

July 24, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sylvia

Cameron you are disgusting. You are a good example of why our world is in the shape it is morally.

July 24, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  21. Michele

Has anyone heard of The Original Grandparents? Harry and Barbara Cooper are telling everyone how their long marriage has lasted seven decades with each other.

July 24, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. BK

She's a Brad Pitt wannabe. He said the same thing. Disgusting. She must think she's the shiz that she needs to spread herself around. No thanks. Don't want any, and I hope no one else does either.

July 24, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joe Blow

Who would want to be married to someone for 80 years? Someone who is deeply in love with someone much hotter than Cameron Diaz... so that's not asking a lot.

July 24, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  24. maria

Bla...bla....bla...bla... I bet most of you that say big words about marriage are either not married for 30 years or you talk about other people. You never know what happen behind closed doors. Many people pretend to be happy ...
    I was for 23 years. Everybody thought we were the perfect family. And then....everything became a thousand pieces.
    It is hard and stop criticizing and saying....such Hollywood...so pathetic.....

July 24, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. lisag

That's pretty sad that people actually think that way....such is Hollywood....so pathetic...

July 24, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  26. adam

It's unfortunate for her, shes given up on the most sacred thing this Earth offers... My grandparents, whom were married for 50+ years each, can attest to me how minuscule time is when you find true love.

I think for her, and many other movie stars, narcissism unfortunately trumps the ability to fully give your being to another person. I pity that.

July 24, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  27. michele

70% of marriages end in divorce. Get a grip. She is pretty. I was sitting next to her at a restaurant and she is very pretty. She is not one of the sheep who lets society define her. Marriage isn't for every body for that matter most. Just most get pressured into it and think it's the end of end all to have a guy marry you. But then a year or two later you realize who you married and you thought you were marrying are two different things-but then there are kids and finances to deal with and you are stuck. I have never wanted to marry and never will. You don't need a piece of paper to have an evolved passionate relationship. I would venture to say that the majority of couples who are married for 10 years or more are NOT happy. And marriage does not equate love, guys.

July 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abner

No they don't. It's 52% of all marriages but that includes people who get divorced, remarried and divorced again (instances of divorce increase with each marriage). Studies show that 57% of men and 58% of women are still in their first marriage.

July 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abner

Oh, and my wife and I are happily married for 15 years.

July 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Married for 12. I know it will another 70+.

July 24, 2010 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • TrappedInaBox

I couldn't agree more...well written!!

July 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Lady

I fully agree – marriage is so overrated....I was married and divorced once...I'm not bitter I just have a different perspective. In the US we are still clinging to the old reasons for marriage which primarily was for security not for love...then the cinderalla era came and people began to marry to buy into the fairy tale of it all – then when reality hit now we as a country have the highest divorce rate in the world. I am not opposed to marriage, but at this stage and with all the wisdom that I've acquired along the way concerning relationships I would love a beautiful passionate relationship and if it evolves to marriage great but I wouldn't dare push it there just to follow the status quo.

July 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • L Haines

My parents were happily married for 51 years until my dad passed away. My brother and his wife are going on 20 years, and since I waited until I was 30 to marry – so that it would be for life – my husband and I are in our 17th year of marriage. And all of us are happy and content. That doesn't mean there are never any challenges, it just means that it is worth it working through them.

July 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Fleur

This woman is a kook. Her brilliant idea sounds great for kids. Even without children it's nonsensical. If you are with the wrong person, fine, go your separate ways, but to be constantly playing the field as a matter of course, nah. Perhaps this is her last gasp attempt at youth.

July 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. DTT

I agreed. No one really know what love is. Love is not expressed by word but by action...what you do to the others...significant someone. Most people says to each other of loving each other everytime they see each other but to it is all a fake. What you do for the other or to each other is an expression of love and not by word....

July 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mackthetruck

She can have her 3 months of fun with me anytime.

July 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. bonnie

get a life. and not hollywood either

July 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. bonnie

no wonder she doesnt have a man. she another jennifer ansiton

July 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Maria Pagratis

Those of you that say...poor girl...she doesn't know what love is...come on....
    You are all hypocrites. how many of you are married for 40 years to the same person and how many of you can say that you are really happy if you are married to the same person for 40 years.
    Can you ever be honest with yourselves?????

July 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paula

Well I don't know about 40, but hubby & I are going on 15 & still happy & in love. Honestly. I'll let you know in about 20years how it's going.

July 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abner

I know a number of couples who have been married for 40 years and are happy. My parents were about to celebrate their 39th when my father passed away and they were happy. My wife and I have been married for 15 and we're happy. Yes, it can be done. 57-58% of all first marriages last (don't be fooled by the over-inflated divorce rate that counts remarraiges). So, yes, it happens more often than you think.

July 23, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nel

My grandparents have been together for 41 years and they are VERY happy. Not that they haven't had ups and downs, but they are one of the happiest couples I know.

July 24, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Myparade

Theres nothing hypocritical about it. When you get married that is the goal. Stay together Forever Hello The Vows Speak for themselves. The Problem is maybe we should when were engaged sit down read the vows get them in your mental. Then make your decision Til Death do You Part. How many bad marriages will be cancelled then. Remember fools rush in.

September 22, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  34. Nat

Poor girl (woman?) doesn't know what is love about.

July 23, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • mizmay

Wow how sad......Cameron Diaz sounds bitter and angry. For whatever reason, she doesn't know how to love.....thats sad.

July 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Empress Samantha

If SHE can't imagine staying married to one person for the rest of her life then that's how she feels. But not everyone feels that way.

July 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jdf

cameron is bitter because she is OLD, and she isn't aging well (don't be fooled by her on-screen appearance folks...that's a LOT of make-up going on). Oh yeah...and A-ROD...LOL! Yeah...that's a real STEAL cam! You know of course that he ...erm...did the nasty with Madonna, right? Hope you had him get a blood test. My only prayer (I use that word metaphorically) is that the cow doesn't have kids...we have enuff stupid in the world.

July 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Paul Esposito

That is so awful. Who did you in!!!! if you are lucky enough to find true love you do whatever it takes to grow that forever

July 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Portalpunk

Bravo!!!

July 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

Said like a true "getaround girl"

July 24, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Gary Bebout

Using people for five years. That sounds real good. Who's going to want you when you're over 50 Cameron? I hope no one.

July 25, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |