Leonardo DiCaprio: 'I was a real punk'
July 22nd, 2010

Leonardo DiCaprio: 'I was a real punk'

Who would've thought Leonardo DiCaprio gets anxious?

The “Inception” star opened up about his anxiety, his childhood and his post-“Titanic” love life in the new issue of Rolling Stone, currently on newsstands.

"[My stomach churns over] really stupid stuff," DiCaprio told Rolling Stone. "Things that shouldn't make you anxious whatsoever. It's crazy how your mind will become this database to make you worry about things that are so arbitrary.”

But when he was younger, DiCaprio was just “a dwarf with the biggest mouth in the world.” (His words, not ours.)

“I would talk back to anyone and be up for any fight, and when you tell a kid that's three years older than you to shove it, you're going to get your (expletive) beat … I was a real punk, there's no question about it," he said.

And while you’d never know it based on his current relationship with Israeli supermodel Bar Rafaeli, DiCaprio said he had better luck with the ladies pre-“Titanic” fame.

Back then, the actor said, “My interactions with [girls] didn't have all the stigma behind it, not to mention there wasn’t a perception of her talking to me for only one reason."

Filed under: Celebrities • Leonardo DiCaprio

1. MC

AWWW poor leo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hes such a nice guy! i mean are any of the other celebs as concerned about the enviroment as he is???????????????????? but haha im the same way i have a fat mouth.... but whatevz

September 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. marilyn kind

I like the way these guys who say they're teamsters are posting here. Didn't know they did that sort of thing. Also, Mark Ruffalo, who gets a nice buzz from one of these guys - said in an interview (and he obviously didn't have to) that DiCaprio is a classy guy, that he spent 93 out of 100 days of shooting Shutter Island with him so you get to know someone like that pretty well, that he was very generous to work with and very generous with everyone, actually. Yeah, guess the guy is a real jerk, alright. By the way, if the story about coming onto the woman is true, couldn't it be just as likely that she flirted or came onto him and her boyfriend attacked him because of that? Just sayin'.

July 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lane1701

I really liked Catch Me If You Can b/c of the storyline behind it. I've never seen any of his other films, but I don't really find him attractive. If his acting is better than his looks, I guess he breaks even.

July 23, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Papa_K

After I saw him in Tiatanic I only hopped that I never had to watch him again. That was the most miserable performance I'd ever seen. At least I thought that when I saw the reaction of 12 year old girls. It was horrible.

But then over the years I've watch him grow as an actor I must admit he's much better than the role in Tiatanic. Good job Leo.

July 23, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  5. eric

that leonard capricorn is sooo dreamy!

July 23, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Leila

Tom Cruise is hot? Yuk...I really want to stab my eyes with a pencil when I see his photo...I am highly allergic to him.
    Love DiCaprio though. What a great actor. He changed my mind about his acting talent after Blood Diamond. Plus, he is kinda cute...

July 23, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • getouttahere

LOL! Right on girl! Rat face makes my eyes burn too. He was NEVER attractive, and he's a real cookoo! He never even studied acting or theater – I read his friend made him go in for an audition, and he was discovered for his "looks" – yet he's so arrogant and full of himself, when there are a lot of other actors out there who truly have a gift for the arts, studied it for years, and are the most genuine, kind, NORMAL people on the planet. I wish he would retire and go away already!

July 23, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • SaintPetersburg

he actually did study acting and still continues to work with acting coaches. here's a surprise...many of the hollywood actors who win awards work with acting coaches on their roles. You can't deny that Leo is a great actor. He brings so much emotional honesty to his roles, and with so much intensity. Only thing is he lacks that spontaneity that truly marks a great actor, it always feels like he's aiming for a particular emotion in a scene, rather than letting something surprising happen by itself.

July 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mel

Leo was good in Inception, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt was FANTASTIC!!

July 23, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • beenz

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was awesome! Talented, real, doesn't shove his face in front of every camera possible.

July 23, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • SaintPetersburg

Tom Hardy was better than both of them. He had that nuanced, spontaneity in his performance that Heath Ledger brought to all of his performances.

July 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lyndsay Waggs

I think this is his girl!
    Who's hungry for breakfast? HAHA

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGSUqS0jJE&w=640&h=390]

July 23, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Susan

i don't care for his looks, but he was very good in Inception.

July 23, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. becca

I never got what all the fuss was about, even when he was younger. For me, his acting is more remarkable than his looks. I think he's a terrific actor.

July 23, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. EBBBB

My friend is friends with him, He is a good guy and stays out of trouble now. I thought the "teamsters" like to fight? Down with unions !!!

July 23, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. zodiac

The teamsters threatened to go on strike at the filming of last movie because Leo made one of them get him an iced cappucino. The producer, Jim Zimmerman threatened to use non union guys if the guy did not go on the coffee run-so typical union guy did as he was told and got the drink. The rest of the filming we called this loser cappy!

July 23, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dunk N. Donuts

That sounds better than "I am such a b!tch."

July 23, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Devon

I personally know him and his mother, he's actually a real cool dude but he is pretty quiet...

July 23, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Shan

frankdozier - don't believe everything you read. it's real easy to make duplicate accounts on here to 'spread the truth'. and bravo to sadbuttrue - at exactly the same rate.

July 23, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. frankdozier

I'm sad to hear that Leo is not a nice guy irl. That's too bad. I guess it takes all kinds.

July 23, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. silvershado

As to aging, facially and talent-wise he's morphing into Orson Welles.

July 23, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. Sylvia

Very effeminate male. Never saw what the fuss was about. Weak, self-absorbed, wimpy.

July 23, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. decamptownlady

He starting to look like Swamp Thing.

July 22, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sherri

God, he's ugly. Not a rugged looking wrinkle on his face!

July 22, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cheneetot08

He's getting older and older.. It's very visible on his face.

July 22, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sadbuttrue

Don't look now, but we're all getting older and older. At exactly the same rate.

July 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Teamster

just read the post on the teamster about leo and he is right the guy is a jerk in real life!!!!!!!!!!!! u want to read about someone that is a gentlemen, read about Lawrence Fishburn or Mark ruffalo also an actor by the name Tony Curran now they deserve to be congradulated. Very nice men. also i was there when leo got his ass kicked and so did his body guard we the Teamsters Had too help him out and this was over a women minding her own business with her boyfriend. Leo thought he was the cats meow, don't think he learned anything from that hight...

July 22, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ed

I worked with him on the departed and he got his ass kicked because he got fresh with some girl at a bar here in Boston. I also worked with him on the shutter Island and he was a real weirdo we all thought he was gay the way he was acting. when I say we I mean the teamsters...

July 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bob Loblaw

Blumpkin

July 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Film Critic

Best actor in the business, PERIOD..............

July 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pennylanie

I think he is a brilliant actor, every movie I've seen him in is excellent. I can't wait to see Inception... (we're currently on a tight budget and waiting for it to come to the dollar theater) I will admit I'm a little skeptical of Aquaman, but I'm sure if he's in it he can make it great.

July 22, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jersey Jeff

Save your money and wait for the DVD. Snore...........

July 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max Crabb

Don't listen to the other gentleman. Inception was awesome!

July 23, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Inception was definitely a good, tightly written & creative movie, which left me & my friends talking about it long after. It certainly kept my attention beginning to end (and it's a fantastic end, as well).

July 23, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Doug

His face is getting that middle age spread!

July 22, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • liz

I Know! I commented to my husband during Inception: "When did he get old?" A great actor, mind you (although personally I thought he was the weakest link in that particular film).

July 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • SaintPetersburg

not at all Liz. He was the best part about Inception. So intense!! Made me care about Cobb's motives

July 23, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • getouttahere

He aged very well! He looks better now with some meat on his bones, then back when he was a skinny twerp. Not ot mention he looks HOT in a suit. I am a sucker for a man who dresses classy – that is missing so much today with all the guys with there pants on the ground, and tattoos all over their bodies. Leo blows them all away – they could learn something from him!

July 23, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. John

Was?

July 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. HOTFACEBETTERTHANLEO

I'm hot...what's so great about him?

July 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  30. omg

Leo is GORGEOUS!! <3

July 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

If you're blind

July 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • melovleo

he is beautiful and talented so he wont win an oscar. the oscars love women who strip down in a movie. They never give out nominations to hot guys who also happen to act really well. Like tom cruise, brad pitt etc.

July 23, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |

big forehead, beady eyes, and receding hairline. yeah. hot.

August 19, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |