Will 'Green Lantern' and 'Thor' deliver at Comic-Con?
July 22nd, 2010

Will 'Green Lantern' and 'Thor' deliver at Comic-Con?

The anticipation for movies like “The Green Lantern” and “Thor” is building at Comic-Con, with many fans wearing their devotion on their sleeves.

First-time San Diego Comic-Con attendee Carlos Rangel of Nogales, Arizona is so ready to see the "Green Lantern" panel on Saturday, he went ahead and dressed up as Scarecrow from the "Sinestro Corps," the villains in the comic book series.

The curiosity surrounding “Lantern” has only accelerated since a few photos ran in EW, a conversation-starting tactic that Marvel Studios has done with the upcoming “Thor.”

Garth Bauman is just one of the Con attendees who are amped to hear more about Marvel. (He may be dressed as Batman, but his mind is on the hammer-wielding Norse god.) "I'm excited to hear about 'Thor' and 'Captain America' – everyone's looking forward to the new Marvel movies,” he told CNN.

As for TV, repeat Con-goer D.J. is excited for the "Dexter" panel. The serial killer drama certainly has a big presence at Comic-Con, with the show's name all over lanyards attached to guest badges, and the "Dexter" bobble head a hot item on the convention floor.

Last year, the keytar rock duo "Jeffster" put on a performance at the "Chuck" panel, so fans know they'll be entertained. "I definitely have got to see the 'Chuck' cast," said San Diego resident Joseph.

Another movie to watch at Comic-Con is “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,” starring the likes of Michael Cera and Anna Kendrick. “At first I was skeptical,” Joseph said, “but after seeing the previews over and over, it seems like something I'd want to watch.”

Rhiana Wilson, who has been going to the convention for five years now, is curious to see "Tron: Legacy's" panel but definitely won't miss the one for "Futurama." The show is making a triumphant return to Comic-Con now that it's on Comedy Central.

Certainly these panels have a lot to live up to considering the hype from prior panels, such as that early footage of "Iron Man" and the pandemonium over "Twilight." One reason they're so well remembered is that they practically came out of nowhere, so only time will tell if “Thor,” “Scott Pilgrim” and “Green Lantern” will still hold a special place in fans hearts when the Con is over.

« Previous entry
  1. Cisco Aironet

Hi there, I discovered your web site by way of Google while searching for a comparable subject, your website got here up, it seems to be good. I've added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

August 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bob Batchelor

My only beef can anyone make a Sci-Fi or horror movie without using zombies,mutants,werewolves or vampires?

July 25, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Space Avenger

Speaking of Avengers, when is a studio going to make a movie of the Space Giants? Goldar, Silvar, & Gam . . . gotta love 'em. Wouldn't be complete without cheesy costumes and bad acting, though.

July 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Black Hand

Does anyone know if Geoff Johns has his hands in the GL movie project? IMHO, he's DC's saving grace at teh current moment, and the sole reason GL has had such a revival. I love GL, but the corps and character have always been second-tier at best. Geoff's brought GL to the frontlines, which will hopefully give way to other lesser character movies that DON'T fall in the Superman-Wonderwoman-Batman trinity. I'd love to see a Dr. Fate or Captain Marvel movie....provided you could get past the Captain Marvel legal issues...

July 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. eric

Ryan Reynolds doesn't have what it takes for me to route for him, sorry. It was hardly 'acting' what he had to do in Wolverine. They seem to be trying to cash-in a little to hard on Iron Man's success. Iron Man has this sense of reality since the suit is made of metal, and every guy on the planet can imagine being in the suit. Green Lantern? no thanks. I had a Yamaha VMax motorcycle for a while, and a reviewer wrote of it being "like riding on Thor's hammer." If you want excitement, buy one.

July 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Random Person

Ryan Reynolds has proven he can pull off the superhero role. He was in Blade 3 and he was in Wolverine. He seems to be a very creative actor and I would like to see how he does as the Green Lantern. Those of you who hated Iron Man 2 have no taste in movies.

July 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jmaxx30

My biggest issue with Thor is the casting. Anthony Hopkins seems like a ploy to use a big name to sell a crappy movie, and Chemsworth is too young to be Thor. Vladimir Kulich was born to be Thor. Just watch Thirteenth Warrior and decide for yourself.

July 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.L.

I think Josh Holloway of Lost fame would make an excellent Thor as well.

July 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

There was rumor that Alexander Skarsgard was up for the role of Thor but I totally agree with you, hands down Vladimir Kulich. In the 13th Warrior he looks how I think Thor should look.

July 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROGUE_SCOUNDREL

Vlad would've been a good choice 11 years ago when the 13th Warrior came out. He's 54yrs old now, he's better suited to be Odin. They should've casted him as the albino killer in the Davinci Code....Paul Bettany..gag, cough! I know someone will say, I'm name droppin', I don't care. I know Vlad, he's a friend of mine, it's too bad he didn't get a sniff for either of these parts, because he does have the chops to do it. He would make a good Bond bad guy too! Very imposing!

July 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Aaron

I loved "Batman Begins" and "Dark Knight" but DC hasn't exactly been on a roll. "Superman Returns" sucked and so did "Jonah Hex" (from what I've heard).

I am excited for Thor. Everything I've seen looks only slightly less cheesy than the ridiculous over-the-top comics the movie is based on. "Green Lantern" on the other hand I could not care less about.

July 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Al

Hopefully "Green Lantern' won't bomb like these top 5 WORST comic superhero movies did – http://bit.ly/dbTLZH

July 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Henshinagogo

Kenneth Branagh is the perfect director for Thor and it's a bit naive and immature to think that he'll be putting out a "train wreck" for our viewing pleasure. Have some faith and just wait to see the movie yourself and wait for the general consensus before deciding you already hate the movie for x,y,z reason. Remember, there are different directors working on these projects so the success or failure of one is not indicative of how the next project will perform.

July 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • brandywiner

"Kenneth Branagh is the perfect director for Thor and it's a bit naive and immature to think that he'll be putting out a "train wreck" for our viewing pleasure."

Two words: Sleuth. Remake.

I like Branagh, and I hope he pulls it off, but his record is hardly spotless.

July 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Holly

As my husband pointed out, the ring for Green Lantern is the wrong one. And while that may seem insignificant it's rather disappointing to a TRUE fan to see something so simple be wrong. I think Ryan Reynolds will be a great GL and hopefully the movie will be as good as it seems.

As for Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, that would make my 3 year old estatic!! And by the time it came out he would be old enough to go see it!! He loves Blue Beetle!

July 22, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • good stuff

A 3 year old who loves blue beetle? you have just restored my faith in the future.

July 22, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • RT

Wow, the style of the Green Lantern ring used IS insignificant. If Tim Burton's original Batman film could become a success while using a totally incorrect logo on the chest plate, then I think GL will survive with the modernized ring style. I think the writing, acting, and directing will do more to make or break the film.

As a GL fan I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, but I'm not holding my breath. The only reason DC has had any recent success with its films, specifically refererencing Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, is Christopher Nolan. Without him, DC couldn't put together a gameplan to find its way out of a paper sack, let alone a succesful film strategy.

July 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Actually, they're using the original ring from the comics in the 60's. it was redesigned by Geoff Johns when he restarted the series.

July 22, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. D.Reid

Get over it! Hal Jordan is sooo boring! Every kid growing up that watched Justice League knows that Jon Stewart is Green Lantern. We can have a Black President, but God forbid a Black Man in tights!!

July 22, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Holly

Not every kid grew up to John Stewart and plus he wouldn't be an origins story. Hal Jordan was the right pick in my opinion. Not to mention this is the first in a TRILOGY so maybe John Stewart Will be in a future one but I hope Guy Gardner is.

July 22, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Every kid! Ha!

July 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Please don't ignorant.

July 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Jon Stewart from the Daily Show as the Green Lantern...
      I don't know

July 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Big Crappa

The biggest mistake being made in comic book films is the theory that they all have to be dark in cintent and story line. This is due to the success of the recent Batman films. Dark works for Batman, but not so much with Superman and Fantastic Four. They should focus on a good story and not whether darkness will create dollars. But this is unlikely to occur, as dollars dictates everything.

July 22, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. James

How has DC been on a roll. There was only a handful of movies made based on there comics after Batman Begins.
    Not that I did not like them. I do look forward to Green Lantern.

July 22, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • DC On a roll? Riggggghhhht.

Yeah, DC has been on a roll all right- a roll of Suck. Let's see: they've put out The Losers, which, ironically enough, lost money, and was slaughtered by the critics. And they put out Jonah Hex, which is widely regarded to be the worst movie of the year. DC fanboys really need to drop the whole "DC is on a roll" meme that they're trying to start. It's embarrassing.

July 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kermit Roosevelt

*COUGH* DC is a sister company of CNN *COUGH*

July 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. T

Green Lantern looks good and I'm looking forward to it.
    I always thought that Ryan Reynolds would be the type to play The Flash instead of GL.

Anyway....JLA movie, anyone ? No ?
    How about a Booster Gold & Blue Beetle flick ? (Bwah-ha-haaa !)

July 22, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • good stuff

a JLA movie (i believe) has to many legal loop holes. and i also imaginde him to be more of a barry allen myself!

July 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Bad Voodoo Lou

Ironically, Ryan Reynolds and Chris Evans would be perfect as Blue Beetle and Booster Gold!

July 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. John Zee

Nice article, and certainly evidence of the most awesome thing Marvel has ever had to offer to the world, their exaggerated hype. Thousands of stories and articles on the internet about fans being disappointed about the recent photos taken from the Thor movie, and yet absolutely no mention of it here. Even though Marvel issued a memo that one of the "tasks" of their employees at Comic-Con was focused damage control on that issue. And the guy that CNN interviewed says that EVERYONE is looking forward to all the Marvel movies.

I'd wager that he is wrong. In fact I would wager that even some of the people that are looking forward to the next couple of Marvel movies, are doing it because they like to watch a good train wreck.

July 22, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • ER

Sad, but that's kinda how I feel too. It honestly seems like Marvel's quality has dropped even when it came to Iron Man. I had a ton of hope for the sequel, but it just didn't quite live up to it for me sadly. Thor and the Avengers look kinda.... ehhhhhhhhhh. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I just don't see it really. For now, I'll stick to the Green Lantern (from DC) to see how it turns out. Like someone else said, DC has been on a roll since Batman Begins.

July 22, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason B.

It's important to remember, photos don't show the finished product. An on-set picture won't have all the special effects added in, people may not look their best if the pic was taken after a long day. All depends on how "planned" the picture is.

July 22, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Mavent

Yeah, DC has been on a HUGE roll since "Batman Begins", what with having ONE other movie since then. Just come out and say what you mean: You're a "Dark Knight" fanboy, and it upsets you that other comic-based movies are making money.

July 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soso

Everyone saying DC has been on a roll since Batman Begins... yeah, their big roll was Batman Begins and The Dark Night. Thats it. Everything else has been crap or so so (Watchmen was a failure, and Superman was mediocre, not to mention other flops). So stop saying that. I don't see any other DC success stories.

July 22, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SaintPetersburg

Marvel has been dropping the ball...the last Iron Man movie sucked. They're forcing this Avengers storyline to come together. Thor has a promising cast, but all the photos look like they have cheap set designs and cheesy costumes.

I'll put my money on Green Lantern...DC has been on a roll since Batman Begins.

July 22, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Jonah Hex?

July 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mavent

Yeah, "Iron Man 2" sucked. That's why it did 400 Million and got positive reviews on both MetaCritic and Rotten Tomatoes. I swear, people like you seem to have no point in living other than to complain.

July 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • FactCheck

Yeah, "Iron Man 2" sucked. That's why it did 400 Million
      ---

And by that logic, Transformer 2 should have been Oscar material. Iron Man 2 sucked, as did Jonah Hex.

July 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Superman Returns? More like a thud than a roll...

July 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SaintPetersburg

so everytime somebody doesnt like a movie, theyr'e complaining? I loved Iron Man...they had to step it up for the sequel and they didnt. They went downwards...the story was very superficial. Too generic. They overcrowded the plot with unnecessary references to the avengers, and poorly developed villains, rather than creating a character arc for Tony Stark. Need I mention the cheesiness? Tony Stark DJing in the Iron Man suit? Really? Maybe 10 years old like that kind of thing. But its tough for somebody with a little bit of intellect to enjoy it.

Bring on Batman 3, Mr Nolan.

July 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. tim

one of my friends was the stand-in for ryan reynolds for filming in new orleans. no big deal

July 22, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. lol

I agree. Green Lantern looks promising.

July 22, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. good stuff

my money is on green lantern

July 22, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Godstar

I don't think Ryan Reynolds is leading man material – yet – so I don't think this franchise will be successful. He's like Ben Affleck 2.0, and we all know how awful Daredevil was.

July 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |