'Pretty Little Liars': The homecoming hangover
July 21st, 2010

'Pretty Little Liars': The homecoming hangover

After last week’s action-packed homecoming drama, I was sure we were in for a slow episode Tuesday, but “Pretty Little Liars” proved me wrong. Two fast-paced episodes in a row? Hallelujah.

In fact, the episode picked up right where it left off – with the girls searching for Emily at the homecoming dance. Though she was nowhere to be found, her cell phone sat on the ground beside a small pool of blood.

Meanwhile, a bloody Toby drove a bleeding Emily, who was passed out in the backseat of his car, to the hospital. We later found out from the assembly of police officers congregating at Emily’s house that he left her there alone, hurried home, exchanged the car for his motorcycle and skipped town.

While the police questioned her mother, Spencer and Aria were upstairs visiting with Emily – who, for some reason, was bed-ridden after tripping and falling in a hallway. When Emily’s mother told one officer that her daughter doesn’t lie, he retorted: “Ma’am, everybody lies.”

Hanna joined the girls after trying to return Toby’s file to his shrink’s office, but the police were already there. After Spencer and Aria left, Emily asked Hanna how she knew about her flirtation with Maya. Hanna told her about the photo booth pictures A sent her and then encouraged her to go after what she wants. (Such a good friend!)

Things at Aria’s house, however, haven’t improved since A spilled the beans about her dad’s affair; Aria’s parents just continue to avoid each other and alienate their children. CNN commenter Dawn brought up a good point a few weeks back: "...[H]ow long [will] it [take] before the adults stop focusing on themselves and start asking who A is.”

And as if dealing with her family wasn’t hard enough, Fitz and his “nice legs” were M.I.A. this episode, though his apartment did make an appearance. (For an educator, Fitz is not smart. Not only does he date his student, but he also tells her where he keeps the spare key.) When Aria let herself into his place, she overheard a machine message from a New York-based school. Uh-oh. Think he’ll take the job?

The creepiest scene of the episode was when Emily woke up to a dog and a shadowy figure – Jenna - standing in her doorway. Though Emily assured Jenna that Toby’s file wouldn't fall into the wrong hands, she wasn't convinced. “Secrets have a way of getting out,” Jenna said. “Like what Alison shared when she visited me at the hospital. I’ve kept quiet about a lot, Emily. The least you can do is give me that file.”

Emily tried to warn her friends not to destroy the file, but she was too late; Aria had already tossed it into the river. (Way to destroy the evidence girls. If only Toby’s shrink took all his notes in washable marker.)

Back at school, things were heating up between Hanna and the yearbook photographer. And by heating up, I mean he accidentally brushed her hand with his as they watched viral videos on the computer together. But what could that mean for her and Sean?

Spencer, in the middle of a "do-over" date with Alex - which ended up being a sort-of non-date because he had to work that night, but whatever - found a bunch of defaced pictures of club members while rifling through a closet. She seemed upset by the devil horns drawn on her photo at first, but shortly after returned to the kitchen for a quick dance number and make-out session with Alex. (Which, as another CNN.com writer put it, looked like something straight out of an Enrique Iglesias music video.)

Later, Emily found the courage to confront Maya and tell her she wants to try and make things work between them. I used to think Maya was creepy, but she’s growing on me. I hope things work out between them and that Emily’s mom is supportive.

Speaking of Emily, as she was driving home later that day, she passed by Toby and Jenna’s house and saw Jenna crying on the porch, with Toby’s motorcycle mangled on the back of a truck. So does that mean he's gone forever?

A seemed to think so. “Thanks for getting Toby out of my way,” A sent to Emily’s phone.

The episode ended with someone pulling Toby’s file out of the river. It appeared to be the same black glove that painted over the Rosewood population sign. Could it be A?

What did you think of last night's episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. Lorin

Jenna- I'd love to talk about last nights episode if you'd like?

July 28, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jenna (not the blind one(or not))

why isn't anyone posting?

July 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jenna(not the blind one(or not)

Alright I found this song that would be soooooooo perfect for pretty little liars. They used it for Sorcerers Aprentice. It's called Secrets by OneRepublic. listen to it on youtube it's to perfect!

July 24, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Yourr mom

THis episode was realy good I do think toby is dead,they already teased us about emily being dead why would they do that twice? I think A killed toby becuase it( im not sure if its a he or she ahah) changed the population number before he died so it probably planned it and made us think emily was dead but all along A wanted toby dead becuase it probably thought he was important to emily so that messes with her. But who nows yet ahha

July 24, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. courtney

I havent read the books... YET... But i Am Freakin out not knowing whats gonna happen next~

July 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brittany

So I started reading the books. To my surprise the writers of the show haven't stayed completely along the plot lines of the books, which also makes me happy. I'm excited to see where the rest of the season goes and how the writers will put their own twists on the series.

July 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

It's a great show and they sure know how to end an episode in suspense http://www.watch-pretty-ltiile-liars.com

July 23, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. qwerty

It was an interesting episode but i dont believe Toby's dead- I think A just thinks he is. A must have been the one that repainted the population sign to have one less person in the last episode, thinking that Toby was dead.

July 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wiusfbwrsigj

at first i thought it was jenna who took the picture from the photo booth and i also thought jenna took tobys papers. but idk now and i dont think jenna is a

July 21, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jenna (not the blind one(or not))

I don't get how this was another fast paced episode, maybe better then some but not like last weeks. I miss Toby already :( Jenna looked so sad, I felt terrible! Jenna's growing on me, I'm starting to think she's not a bad person. Maybe a creepy, but not evil. Is it just me???

July 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dana

Nope. Jenna from the beginning was growing on me to become that good person that hopefully helps out the girls solve the mystery (she already hints out Ali had talked to her while Jenna was in the hospital, when Jenna made that visit with Emily).
      I'm really upset about what's going on inside Aria's house though. Mom walks out, while dad gets to stay. Aria's brother Mike: I would hate it so much, if Mike grows apart from the family. I wonder what's going to happen to the Aria/Ezra relationship though, and how it would resolve (suspense, suspense!)?
      Emily and Maya deserves one another, and with the yearbook-picture-taking guy who's getting real close to Hanna? It's totally obvious that these two will end up together in the series (maybe in the short run, but they will!). With Sean's reluctance and vow to keep away from the 'bedroom athletics' (if you know what I mean) and Hanna getting impatient and paranoid throughout this episode and the previous ones, bada-bing bada-boom.

July 21, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jenny

Gotta love it! Never read the books but i was so hooked by the first 6 episodes i looked up on the internet about the rest of the story then watching episode 7 knowing what was going to happen made me feel a bit down but now i know all the secrets of the series/books i feel a bit upset for spoiling it but i still love it! so much mystery!!!
    Gah! can't wait for the next episode!!

July 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. - F

Such a guilty pleasure!

PLL music! Check out the video for Orelia's song Suggestions as heard on Pretty Little Liars.
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtMzm80mw_I&w=640&h=390]

July 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jasmine

At first i was thinking "Ugghhhhh another corny ABC show" but I looked at the first couple of minutes and its pretty good.Maya does kind of creep me out though and I do hate that the show does those oh so cliched stupid mistakes that no one would ever do in real life(like throwing papers in a creek when there are a million different ways to get ride of evidence!) but I guess that keeps the show going. I also hate that I looked up the book series and was pretty disapointed at first but maybe they'll sort of change it up a little bit and wikipedia didnt give up everything so there's hope yet!

July 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Odalice yolanda Feliz

It's a lil II corny but i like the series!

July 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Liars are NOT pretty

They're fake.

July 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SuperPortalPunk

YES!!!!!! First to post!! Hahahahaha

July 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

I am not a fan of the direction that TV is taking. Fortunately, I do not watch much except for ESPN.

July 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |