Steve Carell: 'The Office' isn't going anywhere
July 20th, 2010

Steve Carell: 'The Office' isn't going anywhere

Many have queried whether or not NBC’s “The Office” should soldier on without Steve Carell’s character Michael Scott, but the 47-year-old “Despicable Me” star thinks it'll do just fine in his absence.

“The show's going to be great,” Carell told Parade.com. “The show has been very consistent and I'm just one part of this ensemble. The show is so strong and has such good writers, it will continue to be great. So the show's not going anywhere."

The actor will clock out of the critically acclaimed series at the end of its seventh season next spring, and he doesn’t appear to anticipate much remorse about dropping his alter-ego.

“I certainly won't be contemplating Michael Scott in 10 to 15 years. I hope he ends up happy. I hope that he finds whatever he's looking for,” Carell said.

But what does inspire nostalgia in Carell is the memory of friendships built throughout the series’ run.

“I will miss all my friends. We've known each other now for seven, eight years,” Carell told Parade. “I mean, it's been a long time since the time we shot the pilot until now, so that's by far what I'll miss the most, the friendships that I've gained there."

Before the new season of “The Office,” you can see Carell star alongside Paul Rudd in “Dinner for Schmucks,” in theaters July 30.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. danielle a

The show will die a swift death without Steve Carell. Too bad.......I guess I'll go back to working Thursday nights

July 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Doug S.

It's hard to imagine Carrell not being on the show. I think the only person who could step behind his desk would be....Ricky Gervais? Am I crazy to think that? I'm thinking it just might work!

July 21, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Time to wrap it up

Besides, every time a show goes on without its main actor, it usually ends after one season without a proper send off. (e.g That 70s Show, The OC)

July 21, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. eatapeach10

I'm amazed at the negativity! My personal opinion is the show won't be the same without Carrell. Can someone come in and replace a central character in an ensemble? Sure! Anyone remember when Kristie Alley replaced Shelly Long in Cheers? It was before my time, but if I remember correctly there was a central character that was also replaced in MASH, too! I'm willing to see where it goes...it could get really interesting! I'll be optimistic. If it's lame, I won't watch! I think it's going to be squaring off against Big Bang Theory starting in the Fall, anyway. My DVR will be busy!

July 21, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. alex

I've been watching "The office" for a while and I still don't find one bit funny about it, will somebody explain to me where is that crapola funny?

July 21, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Starmonkey

They should bring back Holly and have a story arc of them wanting to be together but she can't leave the city she's in now for whatever reason. Michael also having trouble with Kathy Bates' character and Dwight senses it and tries to use that for his advantage. In the end Michael decides to leave to be with Holly and in a surprise twist, and to Dwight's dismay, Kathy Bates brings in the character Murray from Flight of the Concordes to replace Michael.

July 21, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. D

Tried to watch it many many times and just can't understand why people love this show so much.

July 21, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jay Kay

The Office isn't ending, but the world is.

July 21, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Paul M

Too bad that the show is not ending. It has gotta be the lamest show ever written.

July 21, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Hannah

As much as I like Michael, I really watch The Office for Jim and Pam...And now their characters have gotten kind of boring because once you're married and have kids you can't do much else with them.

July 21, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jonas

I smell a spin off...

July 21, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shirt

Dwight Schrute for President!!

July 21, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. jeff

That show is sooo stupid.I can't believe it's lasted this long.I've watched it 3 times and only laughed once,and that was by accident (I was thinking about a joke I heard earlier that day).

July 21, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • WellJeff

hmmmm...i'm not sure how this show has gone on for 7 years if jeff thinks its so bad. maybe thats because nobody cares what jeff thinks?

July 21, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest000001

Nicely put, WellJeff. I also wonder if Jeff picks up books, flips to a random page, reads the next 14 pages, doesnt like what he reads, and decides the entire book is stupid.

July 21, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. fan

The Office has already survived a change of boss once. Gervais made a great boss and Carell created an equally entertaining boss as well. Whose to say the right actor can't crreate another memorable boss for us to enjoy for another couple years. The show could use a fresh face.

July 21, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. FuryoftheFilmFan

The Office begins and Ends with Steve Carell. he MADE that show , it should end with him leaving because nobody can take his place after he leaves.

July 21, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tarah

wish they would end it rather than soldiering on with aweful storylines. I wish them the best of luck though, I have loved this show since the beginning, trying to have hope that with the star leaving it still does well....

July 21, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Barry

Without "Steve Carrell"the star of the show,I see it fastly fading.Take "Three's Company" for instance.John Rittter was the star and glue that held the show together.Even while replacing supporting cast(Suzanne Somers)the show remained at the top.If Ritter had been replaced,the show wouln't have made it.
    No I think the show is done once he leaves.

July 21, 2010 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. Michael S

Shows are never the same when the star leaves

July 20, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest1010

I agree with you, I don't think this show will last too long after Michael is gone.

July 21, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. the gaval

wooow!There are some bright people on here.it sucks that steve is leaving the show.i mean he's the freaking boss!and everyone know we have wars goin on,its been goin on 10 years now,does anyone really care?
    talk about old.

July 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Shon P. Connors

PLEASE END THIS SHOW! IT IS GETTING BORING!

July 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Jones

then stop watching it.....most people still enjoy it...no one really cares what you think, so just stop watching it and go tell your mom. Maybe she will give a damn.

July 20, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. DeeDee

Wonder if he will be taking Larry Kings's place?

July 20, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. WEE

I love Pee Wee. Paul Ruebens would be great on the show

July 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Big Fan

I am very interested to see where this show goes from here. How long can it be before Jim, Pam, Darrell and Andy leave for the greener pastures of movies? I've always enjoyed this over the top version of reality that many of us can relate to. The show is very clever, well written and the cast is great. It feels like I work along side these people. I believe the show is at the beginning of the end. I will miss it, I see it as the best sitcom by far on television today.

July 20, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlreadyHappened

Darrell was in Pineapple Express and Hot Tub Time Machine
      Andy was in the Hangover
      Jim was in that marriage movie with Robin Williams
      Pam was in Blades of Glory

July 21, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • NY Office Fan

Jim was also in "It's Complicated" with Meryl Street and Steve Martin and "Leatherheads" with George Clooney and Rene Zelwiger.

July 21, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • meh

The show has gone downhill since Pam and Jim got married. I think they should just accept it and write one hell of a last season. Besides, every time a show goes on without its main actor, it usually ends after one season.

July 21, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  24. kyle4792

So should we worry about these celebrities that screw up.That is not really head line news we have 2 wars going on.

July 20, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • THERES WARS?

I'm sure they're reporting on it somewhere if you're interested. All these people that log into a story just to tell other readers that there are more important stories...its getting kind of old, sort of overdone you know? Unoriginal I think is the word. Hey did someone say Corndogs and Kool-Aid?

July 20, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corndogs and Kool-Aid

Hey Kyle4792, you're an idiot. Don't read the ENTERTAINMENT section if you don't want entertainment news.

July 20, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Guest

We know you are portal. Too bad, this show should really end before it gets worse. SCRUBS?

July 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. portalpunk

im so dumb!

July 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mdricey

I heard a rumor that Paul Ruebens...aka Pee Wee Herman...is in the works of being a cast member on the show...anyone know if this is true??

July 20, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Droncz92

You didn't hear anything of the sort. There will be a new Pee Wee movie from Judd Apatow.

July 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

I actually heard he's in unofficial talks to do a guest appearance...so Droncz, quit being a bojo and watch the teeth next time.

July 20, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. EastCoast

This headline is misleading, at first I thought it was Carell commenting that The Office's storyline isn't going anyway, which if it were the case, he'd be right.

July 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Be Quiet

Good job Portal! Now run upstairs, ok? You mom has corn dogs and kool-aid ready.

July 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |