July 19th, 2010

Trouble's brewing on 'True Blood'

Editor’s Note: This post contains spoilers for the Sunday, July 18, episode of HBO’s “True Blood.”

Love was in the air and trouble was on the horizon on “True Blood” last night, leaving us with plenty to discuss.

We started off with Tara bound to a chair in Russell’s dining room with Russell’s fastidious consort Talbot complaining about how she doesn’t match the décor. (As if she didn't already have enough to worry about.) Poor Tara! Things really aren’t going too well for her, are they? I feel like “Poor Tara” is going to be my mantra this season; I might even get a tattoo.

There was a glimmer of hope when Bill, Lorena and Russell returned from their bloody night out, but despite Tara’s pleas, Bill refused to help her.

Franklin presented Russell with the dossier on Sookie he found hidden at Bill’s place with the added bonus that there’s no need for him to return to Bon Temps to find Sookie because she’s currently somewhere in Jackson. (Between you and me, Franklin has quickly become one of my favorite characters. James Frain’s delivery of some of this season’s best lines have very nearly put me in the ground on more than one occasion.)

Cut to Sookie and Alcide speeding away from the scene at Lou Pine’s in a box van (Not exactly what comes to mind when you think of a getaway car, but I’ll take it). Sookie pressed Alcide about Russell, figuring that his presence at Debbie’s Operation Werewolf ceremony might lead her to Bill. Alcide warned against it, saying he was tasked with watching after her and that pursuing Russell will only lead to trouble.

Back at the King’s place, Eric was sticking to his story that Bill is wanted for dealing vampire blood. He was requesting Russell’s permission to look for Bill in Mississippi when – gasp! – Bill appeared and confronted Eric about his arrangement with Queen Sophie-Anne. Eric goes on to confess, adding that he must return with Bill or the Magister will kill Pam as punishment, but things started to look up for him after Russell alluded that he might have a solution to their problem.

Across town, Sookie is awoken by an argument between a shirtless Alcide and an angry Debbie, who warned him to keep quiet about what went down at Lou Pine’s. Upon seeing Sookie, Debbie launched into a tirade featuring an accusation so inspired I wish I could have it cross-stitched on a sampler. I desperately want to repeat it here, but since we like to keep it PG-13, you’ll just have to take my word for it. Much to Sookie’s dismay, a quick scan of Debbie’s thoughts revealed that she knew nothing of Bill’s whereabouts.

Back in Bon Temps, Jason showed up for his first day of work at the sheriff’s department. Bored with desk duty, he ended up washing one of the department’s patrol cars – much to the delight of those of us watching at home.

A pretty girl in a beat-up pickup truck drove past and it’s the mysterious beauty Jason had a brief run-in with earlier this season, Crystal Norris. After pulling her over, Jason was sweet and earnest in his desire to get to know her better, but Crystal, who appeared flattered by his attention, was reluctant to give up much information. A cryptic conversation when they met later that night suggested that Crystal is hiding something. So many secrets!

Lafayette, who we haven’t seen nearly enough of this season, received a surprise visit from Jesus, the hunky nurse who cares for Lafayette’s ailing mother. I was filled with squee upon finding out that Jesus hadn’t made the trip to Bon Temps as the bearer of bad news, but to spend some quality time with Lafayette. The two engaged in a bit of flirting, and you could practically smell the love in the air through the TV.

Tara, meanwhile, took advantage of the daylight and attempted to flee Russell’s compound. She didn’t get far, however, as she was chased down by Coot in four-legged form. Her night didn’t improve as Franklin proposed to make her his vampire bride, and pitched a celebratory last meal at a roadside greasy spoon. Poor Tara!

She wasn’t the only one on the receiving end of bad news that night. Eric made a startling discovery on a tour of Russell’s opulent home when he happened upon a Viking crown that once belonged to his father. We also learned the origin of Eric’s hatred for Operation Werewolf: Led by a shadowy figure we can only assume to be Russell, the pack massacred Eric’s family when he was still human. In his dying words to his son, Eric’s father urged him to seek vengeance, so you know it’s going to get ugly.

Finally, Bill, who managed to escape from Chez Russell, surprised Sookie at Alcide’s. Her happiness was short-lived as Bill told her they can't be together and that she must leave Jackson immediately. Russell and his henchmen then barged in, a melee ensued and Sookie blasted Coot square in the face with her as-yet-to-be-explained laser beam powers. All in a day in Dixie, you know?

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. MsLady74

What I am wondering is how so many people are so quick to gobble up this show with shape shifting being but find it hard to believe that the people making today's music mean us NO good!????

July 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RS

I just loved this season. This just keeps getting cooler and cooler. I've started reading the books, and I'm impressed that the show follows pretty closely with the book. Not many do that, so it's impressive. Jason stripped down was hot as always. Eric was hotter than ever doing whatever he had to to protect his "child" Pam. And the battle between Sookie and Coot was cool ! I can't wait to see how she's eventually explained. I think my favorite scene though was when Bill called Lorena a tiresome cow, and slammed the door in her face, causing her to stand there with a rejected look on her face. And I do love the pairing of Lafayette and Jesus. Things are definitely never boring in the town of Bon Temps !

July 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joane

True Blood is great!i've read the books and it's fine that they have a different story with the tv show because it would make us wonder what will happen next...I'm so rooting for eric...

July 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Julie

I love the books and the show. There is a HUGE difference, but it doesn't really bother me. The books don't have enough subplots to fill an hour every week. The show takes basic plot lines, (Bills kidnapping) and expands it. I love the strange relationship between Franklin and Tara, I also love Laffayette and Jessica, all of which were not fleshed out or even existed in the books. I watch true blood because I like the show, not because I like the books. If you expect true blood to be exactly like the books, you will be dissapointed. Enjoy the show AND the books, just seperatly.
    Also, the show on Sunday was amazing! It was great to see Eric's origins, and the adorable romance between Lafayette and Jesus. Not too keen on Jason's story this week, throught it was a little fake, with Krystal at the lake. I really want to see what happens to Sam and his freaky family.

July 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. daz

Alcide acts more like her brother than a potential love interest. What the FRENCH TOAST is up with her "psychic laser beam powers"?!?!?

July 20, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tanya Bond

I truly enjoyed the show..it keeps getting better and better...The looks on Tara's face are hilarious and Alcide is just gorgeous

July 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DMacK

Can't wait to see how these powers will be developed in the show (seems like Ms. Paquin getting back to her XMen roots). Also, we all know that most of the boys in the show are hot, but let's not forget about Tommy, he's just the rough young blooded shifter I need in my life! MmmmMmmm MMMMMM!

July 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jez

I agree with the comment about Franklin becoming one of the best characters on the show. He's so completely off his rocker – it's great. James Frain was an excellent choice for the role – he's one of my favorite actors. He was superb in The Tudors, and I was excited to see that I'll get to see him on a recurring basis once again.

Also, as for all of the questions about what Sookie is – read the books! I seriously don't understand how any True Blood fans could have not read the books by now. I love True Blood – probably my favorite show right now – but the books are even better (as books always are, when compared to a TV/film version).

July 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. secoul

All I want to know is when do we get to see Alcide ( Joe Manganiello ) in a love scene?

July 20, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. brian

The spoiler has already released about the dog fighting so people need to stop pretending they came up with it.

July 20, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Angelina

Gee Brian – I didn't realize that dog fighting was a 'spoiler alert'. Thanks for pointing that out – and ruining it for me!

July 20, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Believe it or not, not everyone reads the spoilers. Some people like to enjoy the show as it comes.

July 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tim

@Griff... and... Tommy did shift into a Pitt Bull.... so yea.. again... good theory!

July 20, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. griff

My theory on Sam's father and brother is that his father uses the brother for either dog-fighting or dog-racing, which would explain a few things. Dog-fighting especially for when he first shifted and said "I get in a lot of fights" when Sam noticed all of the scars.

July 20, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. nicole

The episode was good. I laughed through most of it, even though I had to scour the internet to find good links. I originally thought,man why does Tara get the ugly vamp? But I take that back. He is too funny and he has too many issues. The cell phone scene: EPIC. It was sa-woon when I saw Jason get out of the cop car sans shirt and with shades. Yum. As for Sam, he does not need to trust his crazy family.

July 20, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. sandyp

I just love this show. Last night's episode was off the chain. I got DVR just for the show. I watch it twice before the next episode since so much goes on each week.

July 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lika

New fan of TrueBlood. Love the show it is crazy. It is kinda like BlueVelvet for Vamps.
    Can't wait for next week episode.

July 19, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. HBHo

What is the story with Sam and his extra disfunctional family? I understand their shifters but why does the father act like he can't be 20 feet away from his son and isn't he Sam's Dad too?

July 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

In a totally creepy way, Joe Lee acts like a molester. He's always sitting around in his filthy underwear with Tommy not far away. And the way he acted and shouted "I OWN HIM!!" when Tommy was at Sam's was typical behavior of an abuser or perv.
      Just my .02

July 20, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

I have a feeling there is some illegal dog fighting going on. Just a hunch.

July 20, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • IEK

Jess – Probably the best idea I've seen. It would certainly explain all of his scars and his dad's attachment.

July 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MrsNorthmanifuwill.

Yeah, super SUPER hot naked Jason driving a cop car. I almost fell outta my chair when he stopped her. The glasses when he exited the cop car....CLASSIC! But I am worried that no one else thought the " I cant eat day lilies" scene was as funny as I did. My sis and I watched it at least two more times because we laughed so hard at the whole thing. Franklin is the best new vamp yet! I might be the new Mrs Mott. Who am I kidding! Team Eric for life!

July 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • snickers

I am with you... that part was awesome... SO LOVE ERIC and he looked so hot last night!!!!!

July 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cavepearl

I know exactly what Sookie is. But I am not telling. Marianne was right when she said it was like nature attacking her.

This is the first episode this season where this show finally came into it's own.

I am usually Team Eric & Sam...but did you see how HOT jason was washing that cop car??? Yousa!

July 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mtlit

@Jen.......I love this show so much I upgraded to a DVR to record it while I'm on vacation.

Does anyone have an idea as to what Sookie is???????

July 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claudia

She is part Fairy which will come out later....Vamps are attracted to fairies and that why all of these hot vamps fall for her.

July 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jen

We had to order HBO just to see it!

July 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sez

Awesome episode, I read the books and loved them, and yeah the series is not like the books but I LOVE that, as its like I can enjoy it twice and now know whats really coming!! The writing is SO good I'm looking forward to what they have in store... very interesting, and this episode just made it more so. More please... more more more!

July 19, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Flo

What did I think? It was freakin' awesome! And a shirtless Alcide should be mandatory. :D

July 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claudia

I agree....I think all of the guys should all walk around shirtless!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Andre

Last nights episode was CRAZY!! True Blood is easily the best show on TV, I can't wait 'til next Sunday!!!

July 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. notsure

Can someone please elaborate this "Laser beam" Pew pew powers?

July 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claudia

She is a Fairy which will come out later....Vamps are attracted to fairies and that why all of these hot vamps fall for her.

July 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cherri

She is not a full blooded fairy, just 1/8th. And in the book she doesn't have those powers so being part fairy might not have naything to do with it.

July 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jez

I'll be curious to see how they spin the fairy story, since in the books she's got fairy blood because her grandma shagged a half-fairy, with whom she had both of her children. In the show, though, her human grandfather was also a telepath, which makes the "Grandma cheated" story impossible.

July 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • IEK

Probably some sort of mental, telepathic attack. But she couldn't do it in the books, so its something new to the TV series.

July 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. troll killah

dont feed the trolls. remember the kids are home from school for the summer!

July 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

troll killah is a non-thriller, got no funk in his junk and want to create an exclusion where there is not confusion that portalpunk is the one to have fun and shake of the pessimiller troll killah.

July 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. courtney

OMG! Im so mad that I Missed last nights episode!!

July 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Alek

@ Portalpuck – Yeah. Stay in school.

July 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

and be a fool?, no sir, I'm way to cool. Alek's a milksop, hahahahah

July 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  28. starbuck

love it as usual....just REALLY wish they would stick to the plot lines in the books :( but then again, we wouldn't have Lafayette, Jessica, or as much Tara. but still.

July 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • flo

Just forget about the books. It's not the books – WHY? Because its a television show. It's fine as is.

July 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lauren c

don't trash talk the books just because you don't have the ambition to pick one up and read it! the books are amazing in that they invoke more emotion than i've ever gotten from the show!

don't get me wrong, the show is AWESOME! but the books are just as good, if not better :)

July 20, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

No one was trashing the books genius.

July 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. FANGLOVER

LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT!!!!!!! Last night show was amazing and complex and confusing as to where we are going next.... can't wait for next week!!!!

July 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  30. djslinkk

LOVED it. @portalpunk, you should get a dictionary. It's spelled DUMMIES.

July 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. portalpunk

first to comment, haha. dumies

July 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • karmachik

I never understood the whole "first" thing. Why does that matter, when you're not even commenting on the article? Does it really make you feel special?

July 19, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fortune Cookie

To post sarcastically, is to "spell" correctly. :P

July 19, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • @portalpunk

you spelled dummies wrong, dummie

July 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

This show is terrible! I will never understand why writers stray so far from the books when the plot is layed out in perfect chronological order for the viewers to follow and enjoy. Try reading the series and maybe you will realize that this show doesn't live up to even half of its potential

July 20, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |