July 19th, 2010

Everyone's still talking about 'Inception'

Moviegoers have clearly been starved for thought-provoking cinema: The opening-weekend chatter for “Inception” has been nonstop as amateur critics and film fans analyze Christopher Nolan’s work to the “nth” degree.

The movie, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as a thief who extracts ideas from dreams and is challenged to implant thoughts rather than take them, is still sitting high in Twitter’s trending topics as viewers rave about it being one of the best they’ve seen in quite a while.

Twitter user Jimmychick hasn’t “heard a bad word about inception,” (although we have) and Marquee commenter Jacques called “Inception” one of the best films of the summer.

“It’s like ‘Ocean's 11’ and the ‘Matrix’ had a baby, and that baby met the baby of ‘Memento’ and ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,’ and those two babies had a baby and that baby is ‘Inception,’” Jacques explained. If you didn’t catch all that, the commenter warns that “the rabbit hole that ‘Inception’ presents may go down too deep for you.”

Indeed, the layers of subconscious Nolan presents were enough to either entrance viewers or confuse them to the point of wanting to see the movie again. As Twitter user Frigbie said of the film, "The last time I had my mind so fervently blown at a movie theater was 'The Matrix.' The last half hour was absolute precision." Some folks said they'll need to see the movie two or three more times to truly grasp it, and it's a move  Marquee blog commenter Pierre Caron supports, saying, "If you didn't understand this movie, watch it a couple times..its worth it."

Nolan has the movie reviewers still mulling the film over as well. EW.com has a (careful, spoiler-laden) query about the movie's conclusion, as does Techland.com, which plaintively asks, “Couldn't this whole thing be a dream? The entire film – from minute one to the end? Is Christopher Nolan just screwing with us?”

The buzz has escalated to the point that those at home with kids today are trying to find babysitters, just so they can see what the fuss is about it. One Twitter user may even forgo the sitter altogether, tweeting, “Ok can't find a babysitter so she's gonna have to come see inception with me!”

Filed under: movies

1. SR22 Insurance Quotes

That was one of the best movies I have ever watched in my entire life, Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing. After watching "Inception" I was like what just happened..? oh gosh..I need to see that again...

July 26, 2010 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Toastman

An interesting premise, good special effects and the worst editing and directing job in along time. Ellen Page was wasted. She is good and her character was there for... what? Way too much work at trying to do a "Bourne" type movie. It wasn't difficult to follow except for the extra hour of unnecessary explosions etc. Give it to Scorsese or Coppola and they could use the raw film to make a decent film. Make take a year or so.

July 23, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Red

The whole movie makes you think, especially after the film. It was well made and I really enjoyed the plot of the story. It was genius.

July 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. albear

i thought this was gonna be an epic about birth control. instead i just saw a bunch of people taking naps.

July 21, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jane

Great Movie....they must have spent tons to make it. Saw it in IMAX and it was awesome!

July 21, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeena

I just saw this movie on Sunday and I don't understand what all the hype is about. Don't worry – I completely understood it, to the point where I thought it was predictable. The whole "Ocean's 11" montage of getting the "crew" together? C'mon! I thought it had a weak story line; barely pieced together with good looking actors and special effects. It seemed like a mix of "Vanilla Sky" and "Ocean's Eleven" - not exactly the most intellectually stimulating movies ever created.

July 21, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Elaine

I think it's an understatement that this movie is the best of "the summer" or of "this year". I mean, this is really original and well-crafted. I'd say it's one of the best in the past decade. Not "the" best, but certainly one of them. I am going to watch it again this weekend.

July 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert

You have to see this in IMAX! It'll blow you way...literally!

July 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beersk

I thought Vanilla Sky was a headtrip, which is was the last couple paragraphs of this article reminded me of. But I may have to see this when it comes out.

July 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chad Smith

Here's an idea. What if, not only is the entire movie a dream, but the reason that Cobb's wife keeps entering his subconcious is because she is actually in reality and keeps trying to use "Inception" to wake Cobb up?

July 20, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

The same thought had occurred to me. I think this was one of the best films I have seen in a long time. My hubby and I don't really go to a whole lot of movies because they are mostly crap. I was worried he wouldn't like it but he actually did. Inception was so refreshing and deserves every accolade it gets. But how funny that I had thought maybe the inception was being played ON Cobb, not BY him. Some things just didn't seem to completely add up to me. I really want to see it again to make up my mind about that. That is truly mind-bending! Cheers to you:0)

July 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nicki

Johnny Depp

You're a hater.

July 20, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Derptra

I'm going to go see it again. Hopefully this time there are no damn children there. Hey parents? How hard is it to tell your kid to shut up? Just say "no talking during the movie' HOW HARD IS THAT?

July 20, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Nataswon

LOL – as a Dad even I am amazed at some people's rudeness of dragging a child (to young) to some movies where they annoy everyone around them. Next time, if you find the experience beyond annoying, do what we did once – After seeing a movie where an infant was screaming most of the time, on the way out we found the manager at the theater who apologized and provided us with three free tickets to our next movie adventure. He went on to say that currently they have no say to prohibit people from dragging their "way to young" little ones to a movie.

July 20, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Johnny Depp

I can't believe this movie has almost universally positive reviews. Not being a nay-sayer just for the sake of it, but I did not like this movie. On the mind-bendingness scale, it ranks somewhere around a 3 out of 10. On the CGI scale, a 9 out of 10. The most interesting part is that if you say anything bad about this movie, people will kill you.

July 20, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Mayte

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. Not everyone has to like it. :)

July 20, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Nataswon

@Johnny Depp – for the most part the reviews and fan comments are positive. My nephew was getting annoyed as he got lost in the dream layers. I'd bet most people who like/love Inception probably also like/love Memento (that was wild). If you are getting killed via your opinion don't feel bad, I enjoy the brainless action of the Transformers movies and yet a friend of mine finds them to be absolutely horrible. (Cool bit: they are filming scenes for Transformers 3 in Chicago this week. That was neat to see).

July 20, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mark C. Potts

Excellent movie. It's amazing how much better this movie is then Shutter Island, which uses the same actor in a mind game too. I knew what was happening in the first 20 minutes in that one, then totally disappointed. The cast here is excellent. I would love to see Ellen and Joseph in more movies together, they've got good screen chemistry. It's interesting to see all these former child actors really show their stuff. Like a good Nolan flick, the effects enhance the story, not the other way around. I also like the fact that Nolan uses his stars in different types of movies instead of being stuck in one genre. It's interesting to see some of the Batman stuff sneak in and even some of the music came from James Bond's "Quantum of Solace". There is so much here to think about like "The Dark Knight" or The Matrix". With that ending, it leaves it open to interpretation or sequel. Remember the top's wobble.

July 20, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

I saw the movie last night and it was really a thought-provoking film – clearly heads above what is in the theaters right now. It was a cool blend of sci-fi – action/adventure – love story into one film (difficult to achieve) that clearly makes you think throughout the entire experience. Great job by Christopher Nolan and the actors! Definitely the film of this Summer!

July 20, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  16. Denizen Kate

To the woman who plans on taking her child with her: PLEASE DON'T. There is nothing in this for kids of any age, she's likely to have disturbing dreams, and you need to be able to focus on the film, not on her. Aside from the fact that every other adult in attendance will hate you.

July 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. j

Is this an improved version of Dreamscape (1984) with Max Von Sydow? That was a great movie if I remember correctly from many years ago.

July 19, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nataswon

I agree to an extent – Dreamscape was an interesting litle 80's flick which having seen it recently on Dish, it is sadly, very dated now. Heck, a whole series of 'slasher' flick's were devoted to nightmares (Freddy anyone?). But when I saw that this was a Christopher Nolan directed picture i knew this would be amazing. Few things to love: Christopher Nolan does not waste a second of time with his movies. I don't know about anyone else but it did not feel like 2hrs 22mins passed. I was hooked; i was entranced, I was drawn in. Do not for a moment feel the need to 'pass' on this movie due to the running time, time is irrelevent with a Christopher Nolan film. Leo is once again a treat to watch (absolutely loved him in Shutter Island and i wasn't a huge Leo fan early on)....that last frame (i wont blow it) caused my fellow movie goers to collectively groan. Fantastic movie. i'd see it again in a second. Stunning, incredible movie/story that does make you think long after it's over. As someone else wrote, i havent felt this awestruck since the first mindbending Matrix movie. Give yourself a treat, as the theaters are filled with reboots and CGI laden 'golly geez wow' fare, Inception is the king of 2010's summer movies. If only there were more Christopher Nolan's running around directing...simply put, amazing.

July 19, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. alison davis

my husband and i saw the movie friday and loved it. I can't stop thinking about a few things..how did Cobb discover this power and when? What was his father-in-law actually a professor of? Could his father-in-law see these dreams as well? What was the contraption they hooked themselves up to in the briefcase? Please, someone help me out!!!!

July 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Wendy

The ending: Image getting all the way to the snow capped mountains and the fortress and having the film break.
    For a whole theater full of people in Santa Barbara – we were full of adrenaline, hearing Leo tell us all we could get stuck in limbo in this third deepest level of dreaming – and the film stopped. WE NEVER RECOVERED...or should I say, the film never recovered. We never got to the ending! The lights came on and we left. Does this mean we will be spinning forever?

July 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

THEY DID A LOT OF TALKING, BUT I LIKED SEEN LEONARDO DICAPRIO RUNNING AROUND, SO CUTE...ISN'T HIM.

July 19, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. afraidofheights

Apparently not "everyone", since there are only 6 comments including mine after 3 hours on a discussion board devoted only to this topic. So maybe a little hyperbole in the headline?

July 19, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brittany

This is a great movie to say the very least. I enjoy movies that really stretch your mind. Very entertaining.

July 19, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Daniel

It was great. The soundtrack was even better. And you know what? I have been to enough movies to say this: if you don't have a sitter, then you are unable to go to the movies. Don't bring your kid to this movie! Enough said.

July 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Totally agreed! I do have sympathy for those unable to find a sitter (awww), but I would never be selfish enough to inflict my squirmy, loud son on an innocent audience.

July 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  24. rtm

You're forgetting James Bond! Which is what Nolan said as having a huge influence on him.

July 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. twh

i haven't seen it yet (i will this weekend), but i am really looking forward to it.

it seems like it'll be sooooo much better than the crap out there now.....

July 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Stephen

I loved this movie. I just felt new and fresh. And the logic behind the dreams really made me be get into the movie more. I thought this would be average but in the end it truly was one of the best movies I have seen this year.

July 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |