July 16th, 2010

Ryan Reynolds suits up for 'Green Lantern'

If the casting mill rumors are true, Bradley Cooper and Jared Leto might become green with envy when they see the cover of the new Entertainment Weekly. The magazine has the first shot of buff actor Ryan Reynolds in costume as the Green Lantern, a role for which both Cooper and Leto were reportedly considered.

Based on the popular DC comic book, the movie stars 33-year-old Reynolds as Hal Jordan, a pilot who receives a mysterious ring from a dying alien. The bauble's glowing green energy gives him superpowers that include the ability to conjure up objects and also to fly - something that didn't come easy for Reynolds.

"The first time you do it," the actor told EW, "you're seriously considering an adult diaper."

As for how he got in fighting form to fill out Green Lantern's iconic costume, Reynolds, who reportedly injured his shoulder on set earlier this week, accepted the task in stride.

"It's all part of the job, so I guess I can't complain," he said. "You spend one day a week eating what you want and the other six days eating drywall and wood chips."

The sci-fl flick, which co-stars Blake Lively as Hal Jordan's love interest, is set to hit theaters June 17, 2011.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. RS

Ryan is so effin' hot ! My mom finally jumped on that band wagon, after watching him in The Proposal. She said she liked him in there because of his sense of humour. I told her the hot body didn't hurt either, and she had to agree. I'm definitely going to go see this.

September 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kilowog

Hello, I am Kilowog. I have been a Green Lantern longer that any of those Earthers. I am a 7 foot 400 pound lilac skinned Lantern Corpsman from a planet called Bolovax Vik in Space Sector 647. My planet was destroyed because of silly squabbles between races of different sentient lifeforms. You idiots are from the same gene-pool and you rant about the diversity of you own species. You should be proud to have such diversity but instead you use it as a reason to fight amongst yourselves. Don't let the fate of my planet befall yours. However if you are successful in destroying yourselves, the survivors of my race need a home.

July 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. enough

enough with the race issue already. isn't your president a black?

July 19, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. matt

I am surprised Al Sharpton is not on this movie already considering how all the black people are up in arms about a Green Lantern. First learn the hell what you are talking about before you post. It is not that hard to go to Wikipedia if you know nothing about the comic. Both are great Green Lanterns. And JDawg1, no that does not make him a "Black Lantern", they are reanimated undead – see Blackest Night.

July 19, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. JDawg1

So, John Stewart is like the "Black Lantern"?

July 19, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. CarolinaWiccan

For the record the John Stewart character has been around as one of several Green Lanterns for almost 35 years. Read below (from wikipedia):

John Stewart is a fictional character, a comic book superhero published by DC Comics. He first appeared in Green Lantern vol. 2 #87 (December 1971/January 1972), and was created by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart_%28comics%29

July 18, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Name

I am the Green Fartknocker! Fear me power, and shake in your pink panties!!

July 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Biggy Smalls

Kind of a good movie for the end of this year and New Years Day!

July 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AdrianM83

I have read my comics, clearly some of you guys have not....

July 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brad

Aw, this is bull...the Green Lantern was Puerto Rican. Hollywood is racist!!

July 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. shawn

Are you mother******'s for real

July 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. S

I the JL cartoon and in the GL comics there is a planet of Green Lanterns.

July 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom J

You probably just remember a meeting of Green Lanterns. Every planet with a sentinent race has a Green Lantern, so there are potentially millions (or more) of GL's in the comic universe.

July 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Solo

The first Green Lantern is whiite the second one is black so if you are going to talk sh** about somthing learn about it first, and who cares anyway IT IS A MOVIE its 2010 not 1950 the real issue is that costume it is terrible and Ryan Renolds should have played flash I hope they didnt mess this up.

July 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Danny

Kingpin wasnt either (daredevil)

July 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jjijjj

would this casting choice pose a problem if GL was ever on screen with Deathstroke?

July 17, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
    • emma

Why would Green Lantern and Deathstroke ever appearing on screen together pose a casting problem? Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool in the Wolverine movie, which is part of the Marvel universe and as Green Lantern is a DC hero, their paths will never cross on screen. You must be confusing Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke with Wade Wilson aka Deapool. They are not the same person – not even from the same universe.
      Unless there is some forthcoming Deathstroke movie that I'm unaware of?

July 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Aquaman

WHERE'S MY DAM MOVIE???? THERE'S A FREAKIN' OIL SPILL AND I CAN TELEPATHETICALLY COMMUNIMACATE WITH THE SEA CRITTERS. I CAN RALLY THEM TO FIGHT BACK AT THE BIG BAD GREEDY OIL DRILLIN MONSTER MEN.
    C'MON HOLLYWOOD...ITS TIME!!!! OK...I GOTTA GET BACK UNDERWATERS BEFORE I CHOKE....

July 17, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom J

Last thing we need is a superhero movie about a guy that can talk to a can of sardines.

July 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jack Meoff

Would be nice to make some serious movies for adults. Does every comic book character who has ever existed really need his own movie?

July 17, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. frank

UGH, this is going to be bad. Ryan Reynolds is terrible. They keep making these comic book movies and screwing them up. Epic fail.

July 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. SilentBoy741

That guy looks more like Ben Stiller anyway...

July 16, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jason

Since you guys above brought up this race thing:

Yeah sure Hal Jordan is white and we know how hollywood likes to stick with the original race of comic books right, the main star will always be the race that the hero played in the comics. You know like in Dragonball Z and Last Airbender, because a name like Aang is a common white name and hollywood know that. I was just speaking to my white friend named Aang Johnson yesterday, ha ha.
    You can make a side-kick character like Nick Fury black, it doesn't mean hollywood is colorblind, When we see an Asian Hulk, Black Captain America and Indian Spiderman, maybe we can use the same excuse they used when Dragonball -Z and the Last Airbender were cast as white guys.
    Anyways, I'm going to speak to my white friend Aang, he is calling me :)

BTW, I actually don't want to see the race of comic book characters changed, I wish hollywood would stay true to the original concepts. I would have still watched Last Airbender even if he was Asian, (Hollywood should give me and the general public more credit) But if they decide to change it up, we should go all the way and just start messing with all the characters. Asian Hulk, Indian Spiderman, and Black Captain America (Will Smith)
    I'm kind of sick of seeing White Dragonball Z, white Last Airbender, White Last Samurai, and White Ninja- common, stick with the original hollywood. We are not all racist like you guys, give us more credit. Look Ninja Assassin (starring an Asian guy) made more money than Ninja (starring a white guy). Stop assuming I'm racist. (I did watch both because I like Ninjas). But hollywood we are not all racist like you. Stop it.

July 16, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Something else I learned recently, this is off the topic of super heros, but did you guys know that the Movie "21" about gambling was based on a bunch of Asian guys. The movie was made in 2008 with Kevin Spacey in it. An Asian guy named Jeff Ma was the MIT hero who the white guy played in the movie. In fact the whole group was mostly Asian, and had one white guy; not the other way around. (bunch of white guys with a tokken Asian guy) Gotta love Hollywood.

July 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

I agree with you about the Last Airbender casting, but Nick Fury isn't a sidekick...he's the boss of SHIELD. And speaking of a black Captain America, you should read Ultimate Origins.

July 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |

Jonathan Wolf
    Dir American Film Market
    Frank Haffar
    COO Maya Entertainment

July 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Khaleef/D.

For all the people that ARE NOT comic book readers/fans. Alan Scott, the first Green Lantern was white, and Hal Jordan, the next Green Lantern was white also. If the movie follows the "classic" story of Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is considered and is the most popular of the Green Lanterns and defined the character and history as Green Lantern fans know it. The racist argument is stupid, same as Samuel Jackson playing Nick Fury.

P.S.

I'm African-American and read all the Green Lantern comics, books, etc. and waited for the day the movie would come. I don't know abot Ryan Reynolds playing the role. Most comic book movies get screwed up anyway. I'm from the old school and although I thought Christian Bale did a good job as Batman, the Batmobile came straight out of Transformers.

July 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ken

Actually the black version was called the green hornet

July 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Anita

CORRECTION:
    OMG-ENOUGH WITH THE RACIST TALK ALREADY. There always has to be SOMEBODY who starts this crap-get a damn life and shut the hell up about race!

July 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Anita

OMG-ENOUGH WITH THE RACIST TALK ALREADY. There always has to be SOMEBODY who starts this crap-get a damn life and shut the hell up and race!

I'm glad to see this comic come to life in movie form-regardless of who plays it. Should be good!

July 16, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  26. dave

Also Nick Fury was white going back to WWII and Cold War era stuff, but in the Ultimate comics the character was black and his image was based, with permission, on Samuel L Jackson, so in turn they cast Sam as Nick in the movies, which I think is awesome, I greatly prefer the Ultimate Nick Fury to the classic version

July 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  27. dave

I'm sure someone else has pointed this out. I've never actually read Green lantern but I am aware of it...there have actually been several Green Lanterns, it's a whole group, several have been white, at least one has been black, and the comics I guess focus on different ones at different times; I believe in current continuity the "original" Green Lantern of the Silver Age, the white Hal Jordan being portrayed by Reynolds, is the Green Lantern they are now using.

July 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOUD NOISES!!!

@dave- You are right about it being a whole group. :D
      Green Lantern CORPS are intergalactic police, that work for the Guardians of the Universe. There are actually a total of 3600 corps that wear the ring. The first guy Alan Scott (from the dc golden age) isn't really connected to this. So, Hal Jordan is considered the original.

July 16, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. LOUD NOISES!!!

Ok, to all of the people who are arguing over the race of The Green Lantern. There are a total of SIX green lanterns in DC's history.
    The very first Green Lantern was Alan Scott(1940). He was white.(Although Hal Jordan is always known as the Original, even though he appeared in the late 50s)
    The NEXT green lantern was Hal Jordan. He was also white,
    then there was Guy Gardner, who was white,
    THEN there was John Stewart who was black,
    THEN there was Kyle Rayner who is white.
    Don't forget about Alan Scott's daughter Jade, who also took on the duties of Green Lantern.

July 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Einstein08

I thought John Stewart was Jewish?

July 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. The Comic Sage

Read Green Lantern/Green Arrow #87 (it came out in 1971) for correct reference on who is first, second and third, as well as the colleced GL/GA series done by Neal Adams and Dick Giordano. John Stewart is the second alternate to to Hal Jordan; Guy Gardner was the first alternate until he got injured. As for the race issue, the comic clarifies that as well

July 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Black Hand

And if they haven't announced it already, my vote's in for Michael Madsen to voice Kilowog. He did a wicked job with GL: First Flight. Ya poozers.

July 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Black Hand

Has everyone forgotten Guy Gardner?

July 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Rex

For the record:
    The first "Green Lantern" was Alan Scott from JSA fame. He was white. The next "official" Green Lantern of Earth (human FROM Earth), sector 2814, was Hal Jordan (his predecessor was an alien- Abin Sur). After that, was John Stewart. Then Guy Gardner. Then there was (unofficially) Gnort. After that was Kyle Rayner. Justice League (the animated series) made it seem like John was the main GL of Earth. This is NOT the case. Not that i'm against it, but in terms of TRUE continuity, it is not supposed to be that way.

July 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew73

just like Geek said their were 5 green lanterns from eath but you know hollywood they never follow the story line from comics. this guy ryan is ok but i think thye shuould have used someone like micheal jy white and also in the end of this movie they do need top age ryan aka hal so that they could get through the story line a lil quicker and show all the gl caracter but hey i'm not the director and they are just goin to make this movie lame like always. really though he should have been the flash and a new wonder woman would be nice but once again its about the money holywood realy should stop teasin us i dont want to be old when another movie comes out

July 19, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  34. james

Ryan is a great choice...he is a much under rated actor.

July 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Madison

Ok I don't try to claim that I am some comic book nut or anything like that...but wasn't Kato with Green Lantern?

July 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Daniel Troppy

He looks awfully STYLISH to me.

July 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Greg

Not one comment about the HOT Blake Lively as GL's love interest? I was going to see this anyway, but she is icing on the cake.

July 16, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  38. hunterwaters

This could either be a huge hit, or a complete flop – remember these top 5 worst comicbook movies ever? http://bit.ly/dbTLZH

July 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Also Me But Different

Green Lantern in DC versus Mortal Kombat is white. And that's what Marvel ALSO knows. So relax.

July 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Frank

What? The Nick Fury movie character was black? I didn't notice. I did notice that he was a ALL AMERICAN though.

July 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Anthony

well personally I'm not worried about black or white, I just hope Ryan Reynolds can deliver a great performance with this amazing DC character.

July 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rebecca

A lot of stupid people here. There have been several Green Lanterns. Hal Jordan was one of the early Green Lanterns, and yes, he was white. Those of you nattering on about GL being black are probably thinking of John Stewart, and if I had to hazard a guess, the reason most of you are even mentioning him is because of the Justice League cartoon, not even the comics.

And don't tell me to stop reading comics and go find a girl - I AM a girl.

July 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  43. John

Why do I think Joseph a few up the list of comments has never or will never get laid.

July 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Drew

Nerds do really suck. Who the hell cares about what color he is. It is a fricking comic. GET A LIFE PEOPLE

July 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Larry

Nerd bashing time

July 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • N

Some might say it's...CLOBBERIN' TIME. ^self high-five^

(PS, don't hit the nerds. We may be frail in body, but our spirits are strong and nimble.)

July 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Chris

Funny nobody really mentions Nick Fury being played by Samuel L. Jackson as being racist.

July 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sir Loin of Beef

Funny, but I didn't read any comments that WERE racist until you brought it up.

July 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • missmatched

When almost EVERY iconic character in hollywood is white, they have no choice but to put minorites in "white roles". It's not racist for Sam Jackson to play Nick Fury. If he didn't get the role they would have just cast...what a suprise, ANOTHER white guy...

July 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

lol what about when David Hasselhoff played Fury a long time ago?
      Or for that matter in Burton's Batman, Billy Dee Williams I think made an excellent black Harvey Dent, otherwise always a white character; and I think he was much better in the role than Tommy Lee Jones in the sequel. Billy Dee is exactly how I imagine Dent, pre-TwoFace—slick, charismatic, but strong-willed and with integrity

July 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geek

For my money I WANT to see some black superheroes; such as Luke Cage, Black Panther or Black Lightning. Superhero films need a little more diversity in them. I've been a fan from far, far back and I have no problem with Samuel L. Jackson playing Nick Fury.

July 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • frank

It's not racist. But he does suck. he's over-rated.

July 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • OS2toMAC

GEEK, looking for an African American "SuperHero". Try "Spawn". Not a classic, big name super hero, written by Todd MacFarlane (one time Spiderman writer) for Image Comics, but they were some pretty good comics none-the-less. Even had a movie, and an adult cartoon series on HBO a number of years back. Have not been in a comic store for about 10 years, so I don't know if it is still around.

July 19, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  47. Me

You guys are all nerds!!!!! Put the comic down and find a girl

July 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • N

I'd rather find a Ryan Reynolds.

July 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Green Lantern fan

In light of day or dark of night no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might beware the power of Green Lantern's light!

July 17, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  48. Sir Loin of Beef

I find it interesting that people are actually arguing about a comic book and adamant about it too.

July 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Joseph

Hal Jordan, the second, Silver Age Green Lantern, was not black. Several characters have used the name Green Lantern, most of them associated with the Green Lantern Corps, an intragalactic force of peace-keeping aliens. One of the Green Lanterns from Earth is John Stewart, an architect and ex-Marine, who is black. Others include Guy Gardner, a former attorney; Kyle Rayner, a graphic designer; Alan Scott, a railroad engineer; and Jenny-Lynn Scott, Alan Scott's daughter, who also went by the superhero moniker Jade.

July 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. science princess

There are multiple Green Lanterns in the comics:

July 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Andrea

Hey geniuses...there have been several different green lanterns. The character of Hal Jordan is a white man.

July 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Dustin

I think everyone needs to get a grip and get their facts straight. He plays Hal Jordan who is and was always white. Hal Jordan was the green lantern before John Stewart (The african american green lantern). This movie is about Hal Jordan and not John Stewart.

July 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Yeah sure Hal Jordan is white and we know how hollywood likes to stick with the original race of comic books right, the main star will always be the race that the hero played in the comics. :) You know like in Dragonball Z and Last Airbender, because a name like Aang is a common white name and hollywood know that. I was just speaking to my white friend named Aang Johnson yesterday, ha ha.
      Anyways, I'm going to speak to my white friend Aang, he is calling me :)

July 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. SaintPetersburg

Green Lantern wasnt black, they only recently made him black in the comics.

I think the CGI suit is a great idea seeing as how its supposed to be an energy field that comes out of the ring. No way they could have achieved that illusion by having him wear cloth material.

By the way, how is this a casting mill rumor? this has been confirmed for over 6 months now hasnt it?

July 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe in CT, not Lieberman

Sorry folks. John was the second GL in the Modern Age (early '70s). Hal was the first (late '60s). John was used in the JLA cartoon (entering everyone's image of GL) because Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl were white. They wanted more diversity on the original team and a green-skinned Martain didn't count.

July 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DagnerMouse

Completely wrong. John Stewart was introduced in the early '70s in the comics. He acted as a fill-in for Hal Jordan until Hal quit in the 1980s. He starred in Green Lantern: Mosaic, after Katma Tui died again went off and did that whole Darkstars thing until Kyle Rayner got tired of being the only Green Lantern and started making new rings and handing them out. Remember that? In the comics? Over the past 40 years (oh my sweet tooth, has it really been that long?)? Weren't there for that, I guess.

Anywho, no, John Stewart did not only recently be introduced into the comics. Hey, there's a heckuva history out there if you're interested, and if you've a local comic book shop they'd love for you to drop by and hit 'em with a back issues question, neh?

July 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • AdrianM83

Recently...? Ummmm try the1970's there chief

July 18, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Cory Harris

When in doubt get a white man and not I'm not racist but GREEN LANTERN was and is black now and Hollywood and Comics knows that also..

July 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComicLover

Green Lantern is White then Black. The White guy is replaced with the Black guy after he is injured. Don't try to find something racist where it doesn't exist!

July 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tevii

No Green lantern is NOT black. GL started as a white man. There are other green lanterns one of which IS black. When the JLA cartoon came out they chose the John Stewart character for TWO reasons even though he was not the current Green Lantern in comics either
      1) They wanted to be as diverse as possible for the show
      2) There was at the time a big debate who should be Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner or Hal jordan (both of which are white). So to avoid that controversy they chose John Stewart.
      Now you want to complain about racism, complain that they are changing numerous white characters to black characters. That is the racism.... not having the real Green Lantern in the movie.

July 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tevii

And... if the rumors are true. John Stewart is in the movie as a cameo... in a bar fight. hinting that he will in fact be in the sequel.

July 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray.

When I was a kid, back in the 40's. I always bought comics. And he was white. I did not ever see one as a black man.

July 17, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • George

Tevii – they've actually already got the go-ahead for the sequel already, almost a year before the first one comes out.

July 17, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  55. anthony

There has to be a way to stop actors from marvel movies to do dc movies. At least just for the sake of tv magic. I dont wanna see ryan reynolds play deadpool and the green lantern.

July 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Cory Harris

Funny Ithought the new GREEN LATERN was black. Hollywood is so racist...

July 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don't worry about it!

You're retarded! That's like saying the original Nick Fury is white, but they cast Samuel L. Jackson, and they're racist for it.

July 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ulysses milton

Cant we talk about comics without the race crap. Come on now!!! Oh and I am black

July 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

There have been multiple green lanterns. The original was not black, and this movie is about the original one.

July 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Quentin

Wasn't Green Lantern African American?

July 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

No The Green Lantern character was not and is not black.

July 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiana

u guys r wrong there r 2 Green Laterns....if they do the story right they hav to do the white one first...then the black guy gets chosen when the white one gets old...didnt yall read the comics...obiviously not.....im only 19 & I kno most of comics bcuz of my dad lemme read them all....but yea Hal Jordan is the 1st green latern the its Jon Stewart the black one cuz he gets chosen bcuz hal jordan gets injured so they chose him...so yall need to come down k....black one will b nxt but i wonder who they get to play him & Ryan Reynolds shud b The Flash not GL....The Flash is sacarstic & witty which is Ryan but I guess they changed their minds

July 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geek

There are actually five Green Lanterns from earth: Alan Scott (Golden Age Green Lantern), Hal Jordan (Silver Age Green Lantern), Jon Stewart (The replacement for Hal Jordan in the 80's comics), Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner.

July 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • AdrianM83

Yes one of the Lanterns was African American and that one was Jonathan Stewart. The "Classic" and original Green Lantern was Hal Jordan, Followed by Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and then Jonathan Stewart in the Justice league and Justice League Unlimited Cartoon Series. He also had a limited feature run in the comics, and he is now more of a supporting character in DC Comics continuity.

July 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny

No he wasnt BLACK , just on a tv cartoon was he ever portrayed as anything but WHITE . Read your comics

July 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

there have been alot of green lanterns. the one they're using in the movie is Hal Jordan the main one. John Stewart (black one) is like his replacement

July 18, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  58. N

He looks like tainted meat. Skinless bioluminescence at its worst.

July 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelli

All I can say is "HOT" "HOT" "HOT" green bioluminescence or whatever...the guy is badass in nothing at all

July 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |