July 14th, 2010

'The Hills' = not real. Oh, you didn't know?

Much like the episodes in the past six seasons of MTV’s “The Hills,” nothing really happened in the uber-hyped finale. But honestly, did you expect anything different?

The ending - where the camera pans out on Brody Jenner, who had just said “goodbye” to Kristin Cavallari, to reveal a Hollywood lot and a fake backdrop - was the acknowledgment that we have all been waiting for: The drama and shenanigans of the past six episodes weren't entirely true.

But again, did you expect anything different?

Here’s a summation of what happened as “The Hills” came to an end: There was a going away party for Cavallari (who hadn’t even left for Europe when we see her at the live after show), an awkward date for Stephanie and a promise of commitment that wasn’t quite a proposal for Lo and her boyfriend.

While Jenner gave a kind-of, sort-of answer to the reality question during the after show, saying, “Well the thing is, as you saw on the end – what’s real and what’s fake, you don’t know,” we’re going to play devil’s advocate and make a case for at least a teensy bit of reality.

However, we’d still like to give some awards to the cast, regardless of how fake their plotlines were.

Most improved

Audrina Patridge wins this one for finally –- finally! - getting a backbone and giving Justin Bobby a taste of his own medicine.

Most stable

Lo Bosworth has been the voice of reason for six seasons plus her time on “Laguna Beach.”  I really hope her relationship with her boyfriend is real, because it was the one good ending with a promise of a future on last night’s episode.

Biggest downfall

Kristin Cavallari, who may have started out as such an independent woman who never let a boy get her down, ended the season as yet another girl who has gotten played by Brody Jenner - but that probably wasn’t real.

For those who have the unexplainable urge to watch Heidi and Spencer continue to fall into the abyss of nuttiness -– sort of like the way it’s hard to look away from a horrific accident - I am sorry to say they did not make a surprise appearance at the after party. Nor could anyone at the after show confirm their divorce.

So what say you, Marquee readers: Did "The Hills" finale live up to the hype?

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. ageeg

input this U.R.L:
    (==tinyurl.com/2a39ok8== )
    you can find many cheap and fashion goods
    (NI KE s-h-o-e-s)
    (NBA NFL NHL MLB j-e-r-s-e-y)
    ( lv h-a-n-d-b-a-g)
    (CHA NEL w-a-l-l-e-t)
    (D&G s-u-n-g-l-a-s-s-e-s)
    (ED har dy j-a-c-k-e-t)
    (UG G b-o-o-t)
    WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!
    (==tinyurl.com/2a39ok8== )

July 15, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. bertha

kristin is coming out with a book about all the fake stuff that happend....such as her dating justin bobby.

July 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WhatTheHills

There is very few 'pro' hills bloggers here, but notice we are on CNN.com. A website with knowledge about the REAL world. Go figure. We all need to post these comments on MTV.com to the fans who worship The Hills and maybe they'll get the point.

July 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JKSkins30

I wish "The Sopranos" were actual people so they can "take care" of all these goons who are involved with these awful shows the networks produce such as "The Hills" , "Jersey Shore", "Glee", "The Office" , "My Spoiled Brat's 16th Birthday" , and "American Idol" to name several.

July 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. WOW

************BREAKING NEWS***************

Wrestling is FAKE!
    Stay tuned for more Obvious...I mean Breaking News.

July 14, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Man in the Rubber Suit

It's not real, just really ghey....

July 14, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SKR

I'm pleased to say I've never watched the show... didn't even know there was such a show... but I don't have to look any farther than the photo at the top of the article to determine that nothing associated with the effort was "real"...

July 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WhoAreYouKidding

The Hills is as real as Heidi's new face.

July 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ian

Para que se lo envies a tu hermana!

July 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sly

I would say that we're better off now that this digital vomit is done, but something is surely ready to take its place.

That said, who believed it was real? Some people have major drama, but seriously- how well timed can drama be? Why the perfect lighting all the time? Those who believe it was real might also believe the earth is flat and women are from a star in the next galaxy made of burning blue cheddar.

July 14, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JB

The only real show on TV today is Jersey Shore!

July 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

@JB: Jersey Shore is even more trashy than Hills. I SO WISH Mtv would go back to playing music videos instead of all the garbage that they run now.

July 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Krissy

This show has been fake from the beginning. I live on Magnolia Avenue in the Hollywood Hills and the from season 1 the show has been fake. Remember in the beginning when all the girls plus Lauren Conrad moved into this nice huge house to work for the magazine? A family of 5 lived in that house and while MTV was filming the show – the family STILL lived there! When they would host parties MTV would put the family up in a hotel on the Sunset Strip for the weekend. Those Gucci and Christian Dior bags they would carry around on Rodeo Drive – yep .. EMPTY!!! How do I know this? I was doing an internship as a coordinator with the filming crew!

July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SamuraiCowboy

Does anyone really believe that "Reality Shows" are real? American Idol is the phoniest show on television. It is just as phony and scripted as WWE. The winner is decided long before the shows start airing. The other contestants are "Jobbers" Just as in wrestling, a jobber is there to make the winner look good.

July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bon

I would MOST DEFINITELY watch "The Fields"!!!

July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Teri

"The Fields" and "The Sticks" – LOL!

July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Frank

And another thing- this show needs to rot in hell like.......the City and the Bachelor

July 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Frank

I am ashamed to say this, but my wife watches this crap as well. And she is 30. I tell her every time I see her watching it that it is the stupidest show ever and that she is losing brain cells, but it makes her mad, so I have been refraining from doing that. Exactly what those spoiled brats need......attention, publicity and even more money (as if daddy's money isn't enough). I am with the other poster who said that he wished he could get the eff off of this planet! I feel so ashamed that at least a large minority of Americans are so ignorant and simply live to die without making any kind of contribution to society.

July 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steffany

I never watched it and I'm soooo glad I never wasted a good hour of my life on it. I had seen a bit here and there while turning the channel and it seems so pointless to me...what a waste of time.

July 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Michael

Is that stupid Housewives of New Jersey real at all? My wife was watching it last night. I saw about 2 minutes and decided that I would hate to ever actually meet ANY of those people. The drama seemed so ridiculous that I have a hard time believing anyone actually lives that way.

July 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeithFL

My partner and a few of his friends watch the Real Housewives of (xyz) and they all insist it is real. I cant tell him but you would have to be a moron to believe its real, not just because of the outrageous storyline, but the filming would require a number of takes. Ever notice for example that the scenes are usually pretty well lit, but you never see auxiliary lighting, the audio is good, but never see a boom mike, you see two people arguing and the camera gives a face on view of one, then a face on view of the other – but somehow you never see a camera behind anyone. I suspect the actors are given a story line, but little script, they are for the most part adlibing it but in any case Its FAKE FAKE FAKE.

July 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. August

Hey people, I have an idea: How about turning the TV off and doing something wonderful with your life that matters and you can be proud of; quit making these worthless people richer-beyond-belief FOR NO REASON!

July 14, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

And you should get off the computer and do the same. See how easy that is? How's that glass house doing?

July 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Brittney

They could do a better show on my life here in Tennessee. That is not what I call drama, drinking and fighting at clubs. Let's call it "The Sticks"...since I live in the middle of nowhere out in the woods.

July 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brooke Jackson

Still trying to figure out where in California - Hawaii, Costa Rica, etc did this cast hang out for six years without making friends with or even encountering a single person of color. Perhaps Justin Bobby – with his un-censored Confederate Flag hat – did the location scouting for all of the episodes. Clearly this show wasn't real, because in the real world no such place exists. Perhaps too, the cast (girls especially) weren't as vapid as they appeared.

July 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joseph

THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!!! I am so tired of hearing of these no talent, self important reality "stars". Lets get rid of Brody Jenner's sisters as well....talk about NO TALENT!!!

July 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  24. GOAD

95% realty shows ARE FAKE.

July 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nik

A BS show isn't real? O RLY?
    YA RLY

July 14, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Max Boost

I am shocked by what happened last night! I can't believe this show is over. What am I to do with my life without it. Where's the next spin-off to this before I have to find a real life!?

July 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Excrement

I can't believe for two seconds how the U.S. thought these spoiled 20-year-old cu*ts were worthwhile of anything...This is another example of garbage that our country has the honor of exporting to the world.

July 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mike

Ironically like the ending of Lost

July 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ruth

People outside of America see this and think we are actually like this.......I want to say, for the record, that not all of us are this insane and shallow!

July 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DynamiteMcGhee

Of the entire run of this show I saw maybe 30 seconds and could determine it was fake. If people are shocked by what happened last night, then I just feel sorry for those people. MTV's reality tv is the worst garbage I have ever seen.

July 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Hurley Girl

All they did was go to lunch together to talk about "drama" the night before at the club, then they go to the club, within 5 minutes and ex walks in and it's like awkward, so they leave..... entire season done....

July 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Kevlar

Anyone who thinks reality shows are real are stupid. Even American Idol is scripted. It's obvious. 'Reality TV' is just a genre of television, like Comedy. They just spend less money on script writing because the actors on the shows improvise. That's pretty much it.

July 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Clinical

This show, among so many others that come out of MTv, makes me bleed from every orifice in my head. When do we stop adding to the moral degradation of society? Everyone on this show should not be allowed breed and co mingle with the rest of the population. Fake, yea....I bet Heidi's an accountant and Spencer is a motivational speaker with 15 kids and a love for model planes. You can't fake stupid.

July 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Brandon

What? It's not real. I must cry myself to sleep from now on. What else is there to live for now?

July 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. RoughRider17

I will watch if the they all announce they have terminal cancer and will be dead shortly.

July 14, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Clavius

This show is as artificial as it's female cast members boobs.

July 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Joeman

Happened to land an apartment across the hall from two of the 'Hills girls' in '06. What was real for me was having to navigate my bicycle between half a dozen crew members camped out on the hallway with their laptops charging, just to get out of my apartment, and having to ask housekeeping a week later to remove the trash & Subway wrappers left behind by them. never actually saw the girls "living" there.

July 14, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tara

stayed tuned this fall for the new season of "The Fields" staring yours truely.

July 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kristin

Does this Heidi didn't really morph into a robot?!?!? :)

July 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Yeah Yeah Yeah

"gave me a happy end to a series that I grew up with" says MK. I weep for America's youth if this is the kind of crap they are watching on TV. Maybe turn off MTV and read a book for a change. We shouldnt blame TV for the problems in society, we should blame the people who watch crap like this show and support it and bring it into our culture and model the shows crappy values.

July 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

Because the values portrayed in Dallas and Dynasty and any given daytime soap in the 80s were so much more laudable.

July 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • wiggi

Thank you, Whatever. It's just the generation gap opening wide!! Don't you remember our parents saying stuff like that? What we watched or listened to was idiotic to them like The Hills is to us.

July 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  41. DRando

Because of poor writing and acting.

July 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tara

Hey MTV, I have a new pitch for ya. I live in Iowa, and my life is full of REAL drama, so how bout it. "The Fields" this fall?! I guarentee you it would be a whole lot more interesting than The Hills!

July 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bob

Here is summation of the entire series. Commercials. Bimbo goes to a bar. Bimboy goes to a bar. Bimbots argue about something. Next day mini meetings at a cafe to discuss bar problems. Commercials. Bimbots go to a bar, argue about something. repeat for several years. Oh and some dingbat pretends she is working, aka showup at some event with a cellphone and watch everyone else do the work. Go to a bar.

July 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  44. rainier08

Bruce Jenner was my hero as a kid. He's done nothing worthwhile since 1976. One would like to think his sonand those on this useless show would someday wake up and recognize they are doing nothing what so ever to co ntribute to this world.

July 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. cw

NOT REAL? DUH!!

July 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. sbp

Reality TV is all about the networks saving MONEY. "Because if it was as fake as Cavallari said, then why were there so many awkward silences and plot-less episodes?" Because the producers don't have to pay squat for writers and actors. They've discovered they can simply cut out a big chunk of expenses and the average person won't care. As they said in the movie Network, people will still watch because "it's on television." You don't need more than that.

July 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. pfft

lol it was fake the whole time just like every other "reality" tv show.

July 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Sick of "Reality" TV

The show is as real as the females breasts. |Good riddance losers!

July 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JT

Reality TV=Pro Wrestling

July 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jdnzero

MTV is still on the air?!

July 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Awkward Silence himself

It's weird, like how reality seems so like... real. The most real reality that I've ever seen is Antonella Barba's new Jersey Girl video. MTV should do an east coast Hills type show based at the Jersey Shore called "Irish Riviera." No awkward pauses there...

July 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bamaangel

Awkward – You hit the nail "like" right on the head. The first time I ever watched this show, all I heard coming out of their mouths was the word "like", and it seemed "like" it was every other word!!! It drove me "like" absolutely crazy!!!

July 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. John

Who watches this crap?

July 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vader

Imbeciles. This is the one product we still make in abundance in this country.

July 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Me

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans between the ages of 15 and 25. The only upside of this show is the same upside of the Jerry Springer show – Not being related to any of those people.

July 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • K Goody

To be honest, I've watched this show several times, along with it's cousins "Jersey Shore" and "16 and Pregnant" strictly to remind myself why I'm in college to be an engineer. I use these shows as a fear tactic for myself. If I don't grow up and learn something, I'm going to end up like that, and that scares the crap out of me.

July 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Bill

Ya know, I really only watched this show to check out the babes in their tight clothes and nice cars they drove most likely given to them by their Daddies. So much Drama in Cali. If the show was even remotely real, they all need to get lives and do something other thank go to the beach and drink.

Whats this world coming to?

July 14, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. REM

Professional wrestling is real! Right?

July 14, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sarcasmo

We will never colonize other planets. Which sucks, because I'd like to get the heck out of here.

July 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soothsayer

Richard Branson has a plane leaving for space in the not-too-distant future......... You can be on that..... the bad news is . . . you'll be coming back .... if you're lucky.

July 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Truth Hurts

Nothing on MTV has been real since they stopped playing music, possibly not even the Real World.

July 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  57. TonyKMN

I loved how the interviews during the post-show thing were lightning fast and hardly more than a minute long.

I got a "We can't edit this stuff, so make sure to let them speak as little as possible" vibe.

July 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Miss Me

MTV used to be relevant AND fun. This whole series has been about nothing other than a bunch of spoiled rich brats sleeping together and drinking and giving truth to the fact that the American public will gladly wave bye-bye to even attempting to instill a moral compass in the youth of today. Shame on the parents of these young people.

July 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bamaangel

Miss Me – You said it better than anybody could have! The cast were nothing but a bunch of spoiled, rude and crude brats! Good job!

July 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jessica

um because these arent real actors and im nearly 100% certain non of this is scripted, but rather – ad-libbed (which is still acting). Reality tv is not REAL. It's scripted – to a certain point. Even shows like biggest loser are shaped and positioned so that a certain outcome is achieved...when they edit they play up certain aspects that were probably in the grand scheme of things, quite minor...repeat after me REALITY TV IS NOT REAL.

July 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • coltfourfive

Cops is real!

July 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • stickman

Deadliest catch is as real as it gets..... if they mess around and try to produce that "cast"....they could die. Only reality show worth watching.

July 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • IzzyS

All reality shows might not be scripted but about 99% of what you see is edited to make a "story"
      Watch this if you want to see how easy it is to edit in anything you want.
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dl2SP8Hk28&w=640&h=390]

July 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mr. Jones

Okay, I want you Brody and Kristin, to go to the club...Then, I want you Audrina to go to the same club and sit right where you can see Brody and Kristin...Then, I want JB to come in and see Kristin talking to Brody...then i want you all to start giving eachother looks...Then we can go from there....ACTION!

July 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. MK

This ending redeemed the show for me. It pulled at your heartstrings, joked about the show’s questionable “reality,” and gave me a happy end to a series that I grew up with (I think I’d feel very different if I wasn’t their same age). After mocking the show in recent years, it gave it back a small amount of credibility for me, and I’ll miss it. http://www.thesmogger.com/2010/07/14/a-hill-arious-end/

July 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • IdiotBox

MK.....you do understand you've admittedly contributed to the degredation of human society? BTW...if "The Hills" actually pulled your heartstrings....you have GOT to get out more. Really.....you do. This show along with "My super sweet 16" could actually be linked to why people your age are becoming more and more like......well the idiots on those shows. Monkey see monkey do.

July 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • stickman

idiotbox- WELL SAID. This show drags IQ points out of people faster than a sledgehammer to the ear.

July 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • SunGrl

You two are both ridiculous. I watched Laguna Beach and a few seasons of The Hills. It's just a TV show that's fun to watch. Not your whole life. Not everything you do in life has to be 100% serious and intelligent. After working at a demanding job all day, I enjoyed taking a break for something kinda dumb and fun. I knew it wasn't entirely real.

July 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • ClarkKent

This show doesn't degrade human society. Only you do. It's MTV. It's nice to watch beautiful people once in a while and get away from the colony of lepers you encounter in regular society.

July 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miranda

Idiotbox and stickman– I watched the Hills. Like MK, the girls are all my age and the last episode pulled at my heartstrings, too. I should also mention that despite being from a low income family, I started my own business at age 19, became a published author at 22, and now at age 24 I have an engineering degree and absolutely no student loan debt. Just because somebody chooses to watch shallow TV shows doesn't automatically mean that they're shallow people incapable of going anywhere in life. It's just a silly way to escape the monotony.

July 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  62. trainwreck

i thought everyone knew it wasnt real...regardless it is a sad statement about america that there are people like this out there

July 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |