July 14th, 2010

'Pretty Little Liars': The big dance

True to form, “Pretty Little Liars” came back strong Tuesday night after last week’s somewhat flat episode - not that it really matters. Once you’re hooked, you’re hooked.

We started the episode with Aria laying in bed sulking, thinking back on all the amazing times she spent with Fitz while her friends desperately try to console her about her parents’ marital troubles. Aria: You might as well tell them about Fitz before A does.

In an attempt to cheer her up, the girls discuss their homecoming plans over Chinese takeout.

Spencer is bringing Alex, the cute boy from her country club who looks curiously different than he did in the previous episode. (Did anyone else catch that or are my eyes playing a trick on me?) Emily and Aria decide to go stag – though Emily doesn’t exactly follow through in the end.

When it comes time to crack open their fortune cookies, the girls are startled that A has not only taken over their electronic devices and mirrors, but their takeout, as well: the little white slips of paper read, “Lions and tigers and (expletive) oh my, there's no place like homecoming. See you there.”

One short commercial break later, and Hanna’s boyfriend Sean is attempting to seduce the blond who drove him around while his car was in the shop. I knew he was no good! Oh, wait, he’s actually in the middle of a “just say no” abstinence workshop. Oh thank goodness. Moving on to Spencer and Hanna's plot to dig up dirt on Jenna…

The two were contemplating stealing Jenna’s file from the therapist’s office, and they end up spotting Toby with two tickets to homecoming in hand. They also spot Toby’s tattoo – "901 free at last," it reads. If only the girls were able to read this cryptic tat before Emily agreed to be Toby’s date for the homecoming!

When the girls arrive at the dance,  Spencer sends Aria over to one of the carnival games, and wouldn’t you know it, Fitz has the same shift. Though she’s unable to explain who A really is, she tries to tell him it’s someone who has been messing with her. Fitz is not impressed.

Meanwhile, Toby and Emily walk into the dance holding hands (way to make an entrance). Emily’s friends promptly call her over for questioning, and Hanna, who told Maya Emily wanted her to come in an attempt to be a good friend, realizes that was the wrong move. She put it most eloquently when she says of Toby's weirdness, “If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it’s a friggin’ duck.”

Then there’s Melissa, who must feel really cool hanging out at her sister’s homecoming dance and saying things like, “Do you need me to tweet it to you?” I used to feel bad for her about the whole “younger sis Spencer has made out with every boyfriend she's ever had” thing, but I’m over it.

Speaking of Spencer, she finally realizes what Toby’s tattoo means – it refers to September 1, the day Alison went missing. Hanna immediately leaves to get Jenna’s file from the therapist’s office while Spencer stealthily spies on Toby and Emily, completely alienating her date in the fortune teller’s tent. But apparently it’s not just electronic devices, mirrors and fortune cookies that A has control over. “Kiss bye bye to your BFF” is written on one of the fortune teller’s cards.

When Hanna - who ends up winning the title of homecoming queen, though she’s not at the dance to claim her crown - finds Toby’s file at the office, she realizes it’s not Jenna who sees a therapist. She returns to the dance to tell the girls what she found, but little do they know, Jenna overheard their entire conversation.

It turns out Toby and Jenna - they're step-siblings - used to be intimate with one another. Now we know what Alison bribed Toby with when she made him take the blame for Jenna’s accident. Did you see that coming?

Upstairs (in the lab where the pair does most of their flirting), Toby prepares to tell Emily his secret. After a frantic text message from her friends and a glimpse of his tattoo, she makes a run for it, but not before pushing him over and causing him to bleed. The episode ends as he chases after her while she runs away, before tripping and falling - so typical.

Did you think Toby was going to hurt her? Sure he’s a little intense and he demonstrates about three out of the five early warning signs used to identify serial killers, but he seemed genuine to me.

What did you think about last night’s episode of “Pretty Little Liars?” Are you any closer to solving the mystery?

Update 4:30 p.m.: A special thank you to the commenters for reminding me about the creepiest part of last night's episode: the Rosewood population sign - how could I forget!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Emily isn't the person who died, despite her fall. There are just too many episodes left. So who else could it be?

Post by:
Filed under: television • TV recaps

1. Takiya

this show is awesome i know who a is its Ali she is A she is the one who is haunting them.

September 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. emily2878

is there going to be another episode becuase it didnt show on a comerciel wait of course it is they have to the show got interesting

July 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lulu

call me crazy cos i really think toby is cute!i dont wanna see he is the killer or sth. A is definitly dead. And i think one of the 4 girls may plan this, Hanna maybe the person to text the horrible msg around.

July 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tameka

i love your show i cant wait to see the next one when they have to look for emiley love your show bye

July 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jayda

maybe toby is gonna kill jenna. just looking at the seens before the prom thing he wasnt very happy about what she was saying and toby really liked emily ?

July 17, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brittany

This episode was amazing!! I can't wait to see what happens next episode! And i totally noticed that Alex looked completely different. I thought it was just me.

July 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Prettylittleliars fan

Toby is NOT Allison's killer. He is hiding something but its the fact that he touched his sister in inappropriate places(in the boobs). While he ws doing that the girls were planning to set off a firework in the garage since they thought he peeking in their window(ep 1) and later, allison caught him doing that to his Jenna and forced him to take he fall or else she would tell, of course he did and Jennna didnt object because it meant that he wouldnt be able to touch her anymore. Also it was actually mona peekinin thier window and for a while mona is A.

July 16, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. emily2878

i luv the theme song it's so cool i listen to it a million times

July 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. emily2878

i agree they did look cute together :D

July 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ale21

OHHHHHHHHH the person who dies is toby right? He kill himself??? because of Emily!!!!! That's sooooo sad, i really wanted to see those two together!! They look so cuteeee! More than Emily and Maya.... Sucks... thats why they count one person less...

July 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. emily2878

how could jenna even kill the alison if shes blind and i doubt that toby would try to kill emily becuase she was so nice to him and she didn't even feel emberassed when she took him to the dance

July 15, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jenna (not the blind one(or not))

Well just to let everyone know there are some sneak peek pics on abcfamily.com, and one of them has Emily in it! Who's stupid idea is that??? That nerdy kid would be so cute with Hanna!!! I can feel a relationship coming! Well I know that Emily isn't dead now(stupid ABC Family!), but there is the question too. In case you don't look at the photos there are a few that lead you to believe who it is...1. A cop is at Emily's house...2. Cops are at Jenna's house and Jenna is crying(weird huh?)...3. Emily is with Hanna and Spencer looking pretty sad and depressed. I didn't read the books-I promise, this is only from the pics ABC Family posted so don't hate me. It's pretty easy to know who dies now, it sucks doesn't it! Don't post who it is if you know, that will ruin it!!! I'm pretty sure Jenna is blind, it just seems right. I also feel bad for her from that pic she looks SO sad. Now remember not to hate me for this post I didn't say anything you couldn't have found!

July 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Emily

Alrght i think i got it all figured out!!!! I remember how Ali e Aria ditched Mona when they were younger, and Mona got of being ditched so she got revenge!!!! But someone else is helping her, i think she kidnapped Ali, and then made her say all of the girls secrets. The person who was helping Mona killed Ali ( it is not Jenna or Toby) and now Mona is getting revenge on all the girls!!!! Somy Hunch is that Mona is sending the texts, and is getting close to Hanna to find out so much more. But clearly i have no friggin clue who the second A is. But i do think Jenna is not blind, and that Toby is not the killer or anything, but i do think he is cute, and i think emily thinks that 2. Btw Toby was just trying t be honest with Emily. He tryed to tell her but she freaked out about Aria's text so she ran for it thinking that Toby was the killer, and that she wasn his next victim ( which is not true )!!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. emily2878

i can't wait till the next show i bet its going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

July 15, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. emily2878

im am hoooked on this show it's so creepy

July 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. kenyaraee;

FOLLOW me on twitter ; "ALMOSTraee" aand find ouut many more clues to different showss like ; Hard times of rj berger Warren the ape The office & maany more (:

July 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kenyaraee;

Even if ali aand emily never had a thing shes gonna choose maya over the boys ' & whoever is playing maya should aat least try harder w. her character . aria & fitz is beyond adorablee but its definetly not oveer only becausee theres always drama on a dramatic show ' . hanna needs to hurry up aand get oveer pure BORINGboy toy sean its getting old aand tiring ' but w. the chandler bing type boy virgin nerd , (LOL) they would be so cute . so yeah i never read the books this is just a hunch ' hurry tuesday!

July 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kenyaraee;

Ok , ok , i personally LOOOOVE the show aand never read the books but from reading thus blog i neveer even had a tiny little thought tht mona could be A but it maakes thee most sense i mean c'mon in this flashback w. aria& ali , ali saw mona aand ran i think they were friends & ali told her everything but secretly ' . Now i looooove emily aand i knowfor a fact they wouldnt kill her off .. . yet . Her aand maya aree too cute and the reason why she thinks shes gay is because her and ali obviously had a thing.

July 15, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. kendra

can i just say how ashamed i am that i'm in my mid-20s and i'm completely HOOKED on this show...didn't know they were based on books, tho...

July 15, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. ageeg

input this U.R.L:
    (==tinyurl.com/2a39ok8== )
    you can find many cheap and fashion goods
    (NI KE s-h-o-e-s)
    (NBA NFL NHL MLB j-e-r-s-e-y)
    ( lv h-a-n-d-b-a-g)
    (CHA NEL w-a-l-l-e-t)
    (D&G s-u-n-g-l-a-s-s-e-s)
    (ED har dy j-a-c-k-e-t)
    (UG G b-o-o-t)
    WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!
    (==tinyurl.com/2a39ok8== )

July 15, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. youur mom

Okay so I think I know who A is from reading all of these comments and other ones haha I need to stop reading this and just wait, but this series is soooooooooo good:) And this blog thingy is funny and helps clear things up that i get confused about.So I think Mona is A and alisson is dead.But why would she be doing all that stuff, she must be realy messed up.And i think toby is innocent and jennas just a creeper(and possibly not blind,im still trying to figure that part out) And emily isnt dead its too soon for a main charecter to die.I cant wait for next tuesday:]]]]]]]

July 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Denisha Marshall

ok ya'll chill. Allison has a twin who was switching places with her while allison was still alive...

July 14, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sparkz 365

If you look close enough at the photo you can spot A. And if you follow A's eyes you'll see that she is plotting something. Something to do with the girls. I can't tell what but maybe you can figure it out yourselves.

July 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Keyte

I am totally hooked on this show!!! It's by far the best produced by ABC Family, and one of the best summer shows (which has gotten to be kind of an oxymoron) ...But when you watch each episode like six times, there are some inconsistencies that you start to notice. If Rosewood is so small (7988, to be precise–and now 7987), why didn't Hanna automatically recognize the cute blond who picked Sean up at the dentist's office, instead of having to google her? That part confused me.
    Also, I think people are forgetting the absurdity of Jenna or even Toby being "A". If this theory going around that Ali had a twin is true, and even if Ali told the next person whom she "wanted" to be A all the girls' secrets, how could A know everything the second after it happened? A would have to be so omnipresent that she/he'd almost be God! Which makes me think, like I did when I saw the very first episode without any previous knowledge of the books and all, that it really is Alison's ghost!
    I would love to find out more about how Alison might have messed with Emily, since clues throughout the past episodes seem to suggest they had a secret slightly romantic, slightly messed-up relationship. Maybe that is why Emily was wondering if she was gay in the first place.
    By the way, this blog is really cool! It's neat to have a place to comment about my new favorite show!!! :)

July 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jess

A isn't dead. That's what I say. I knew it from the 1st episode. It wasn't her body that was found, but since the DNA matched, you only have to think just a little bit to figure out who it would be.

July 14, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jim

What an ending to the episode...these writers know how to leave you wanting more.. http://bit.ly/WatchHomecoming

July 14, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jenna (not the blind one(or not))

Alright this was the best (and creepiest) episode yet. Honestly I accidentally looked at something about the last book and what happened (I thought it was for the show and what people think will happen), but honestly again only one thing made sense. I'm still ALMOST entirely confused. Toby is so creepy (is it weird I think he's cute???). I don't think the population sign was Emily...It had to be someone else! Oh wait, I think i might know, maybe one of the girls that were being listened in on by Jenna, no that just wouldn't work. This actors have contracts!!! They can't die in the first 6 shows! Maybe it was someone really unpredictable, maybe-what's her name- well the lesbian that likes Emily, I don't like her. I think Toby is a nice guy-a really creepy nice guy. Is it just me??? I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!!!!!!!THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!(That sounds like something A would say! Am I right?)IS EMILY DEAD!?!????????

July 14, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jenna (not the blind one(or not))

Alright this was the best (and creepiest) episode yet. Honestly I accidentally looked at something about the last book and what happened (I thought it was for the show and what people think will happen), but honestly again only one thing made sense. I'm still ALMOST entirely confused. Toby is so creepy (is it weird I think he's cute???). I don't think the population sign wasn't Emily...It had to be someone else! Oh wait, I think i might know, maybe one of the girls that were being listened in on by Jenna, no that just wouldn't work. This actors have contracts!!! They can't die in the first 6 shows! Maybe it was someone really unpredictable, maybe-what's her name- well the lesbian that likes Emily, I don't like her. I think Toby is a nice guy-a really creepy nice guy. Is it just me??? I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!!!!!!!THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!(That sounds like something A would say! Am I right?)IS EMILY DEAD!?!????????

July 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kg

thanks meme that helped a lot i hardly watch the show due to my mom so that helped me figure out some more

July 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. KS

Meme, they might not stick to the books. All it takes is a visit to Wikipedia to find out who the killer is in the book series, and who A is. I'm hoping they change it to keep up the suspense.

July 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Allison

Im pretty sure Alison is the killer of herself. And she didnt really die, it was someone else. And i think toby and jenna know about it. But i think Mona was 'A' at first.

July 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. E-DAWG

i think that Alison is still alive. I think that she might have a twin or something that maybe went to boarding school or something so the girls never have met her. or i think that Alison commited suicide and left somebody unexpected like maya or mona or sean or someone 2 be A and told them the secrets. i have a feeling that Alison wasnt who she said she was and that theres gonna be alot of twists and confussion in the story line as the plot is revealed. I think that jenna has to be blind (some ppl deb8 if shes blind or just pretendin) cuz if she wasnt i dont thnk tht toby would have needed 2 leave school and he probably wudnt hav 2 go 2 a therapist. and even wen its just her and toby she needs to hold his arm and she has 2 move her hands 2 find his arm. and i bet she wears da glasses cause her eyes r all gross and broken from da accident. and wen she was txtin i thnk she nos how 2 txt but ppl cant txt her. and wen she saw spencer runnin and lookd @ her and wen she saw hanna lookin @ her in da elevator i thnk she can hear dem. and toby is sooo... hiding something that is rlly important!!! And if emily is hurt or killed (which i doubt she is) i think if any1 Mona would do it! she has a motive and tellin by her personallity she would do it. I think shes tryin to get ride of da pretty little liars so she can be w/ hanna. also dey wer not very nice 2 her wen dey wer younger. i can tell shes out to get them. she mite even b A!!! and who ever made the 7088 into 7087 on the rosewood sign was A (i bet u it was mona) It was definitly not jenna or toby! they are going to play a big part in the story because i feel lik deyr hidin sumthin but they r not A or da killers!!! im deb8in ovr readin the books or not...i dont wanna spoil the show 4 myself! should I? btw who ever rite on dis page CAN NOT ruin it 4 da rest of us!!! hahaha i luv pll<3333

July 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey590

you must have read the books or a review on all of them cause i doubt you could come up with all of that in the first episodes

July 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • PLLobsessed!!!

now that u mention it.. i think jenna wears the black dark glasses because her eyes r messed up from either the car accident or the barn that was on fire. maybe her eyes r ugly and gross so she hides them,.i dont think shes blind. cuz in one of the first episodes the girls were in a restaurant or whatever and jenna walked in && they quietly walked out cuz she was there. then she crossed her arms as if she knew they were there (which she did). and i also think that in the elevator when hanna was watching jenna put lipstick, jenna knew she was there and she asked hanna if she liked the color(which looked like alisons)...i think jenna put it on purpose cuz she knew alison had that color. and also in the first episode when aria had the flashback of her and ali running away from mona and seeing arias dad in the car making out with someone, i think mona overheard the convo. and mona is a becuz there was also a part where mona put on the same shade of lipstick and asked hanna if she liked it. and one more reason i think mona is a is because hanna was bffs with her so she probably told her all of her secrets. and mona wants to get revenge on them for being mean to her

July 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Nomers

How could you leave out that someone changed the town's population sign to read 1 less person!!!!

And Toby won't be the killer...it's too obvious.

July 14, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  34. meme

okk , im gonna spoil it for you . TOBY did nooott kill ali retards ! ive read all the books and the character that killed ali hasnt even been introduced yet . Toby and jenna have nuthing to do with the murder of ali . None of this has anything to do with ali . The person simply killed ali for sweet revenge and the person who killed ali is crazy . and A is actually perfectly seen in that photo up there. But the first a dies and another A comes back after someone in that pic who is A dies . This A is only taunting the girls so they wnt figure out who killed Ali . Cuz the second A killed Ali . Sorry if i spoiled it for you . But hopefully this will give you a clue to figure out the big conundrum .

July 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol65

I thought Mona was A and that she is the next one to die. Am I wrong???

July 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexi

Mona would do that to them for revenge because of how the acted toward her. Hanna could tell her the secrets. And who dies?!? And who changes the population???

July 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denisha Marshall

the producers of the show specifically said that the show was going to veer off from the book.

July 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pretty Little Liar!

Give us more hints! I want to know EVERYTHING. I dont care if it spoils it!!!!

July 14, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Makenzie

I think that Toby is the killer I mean who else would it be. Jenna maybe the killer but i think that toby is. I think that Jenna is A. She is so weird and I dont think that she is really blinded. I mean at the end they changed the population number on the Rosewood sign and I think that Jenna changed it and if you are blinded how do u do that? I thin kthat Maya is hiding something big too. I don't no what it is but i think that she is hiding something.

July 14, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Onesha

I don't think Toby was the killer....i know he's kinda creepy, but he seems like a nice guy. he's definitely hiding something important.

July 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |