July 14th, 2010

'Mad Men': Don't let AT&T drop us!

Do not mess with Don Draper!

The “Mad Men” Twitter account has become ground zero in the battle to keep the show on the air for AT&T customers.

The following from @MadMen appeared on July 13: "Attention AT&T customers: @ATT is threatening to drop AMC, so you won't see season 4 of Mad Men. Fight back here,” with a link to IWantMyTVChannels.com.

On Wednesday, there was a tweet which read: “Don't believe AT&T. Rainbow has made fair and reasonable offers. Tell @ATT not to drop AMC and keep Mad Men on the air.”

According to the New York Times, AT&T and Rainbow Media, the parent company of AMC, IFC and WEtv, are battling over a possible fee increase.

AT&T’s contract to carry Rainbow’s channels is set to expire, and Rainbow said that a deal can't be reached, AT&T television customers will suffer a black out of their channels.

Here’s hoping the companies can come to terms, perhaps over a smoke and some cocktails.

Update 5:27 p.m.: AT&T reached out to CNN with a statement on the negotiations. The company insists they are "fighting for a fair deal because our customers deserve the programming they want, at a fair price."

The statement went on, "We are making every effort to reach a fair agreement and continue providing these channels to our customers."

1. tryecrot

August 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas Gabrielli

I think Mad Men is the dumbest, most over-rated program on the air. There isn't one character on the show that one cares about; they're all creeps. I say, let ATT drop AMC and let Mad Men go off the air!

July 16, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scott

Unacceptable AT&T. We have been getting a lot of post cards saying channels are dropping off. While this is the first time I will have a problem with the dropped channel, it is certainly going to keep me from encouraging people I know to pick up U-Verse. I have been very happy with the service, this change will require me to rethink my cable provider. Breaking Bad is also fantastic, and we will be losing that too.

July 16, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. annie

suck it up ATT!!! we pay you enough every month!!! i will switch back to comcast or direct tv. maybe paying the difference won't hurt as much as losing the customers you will lose. which channels will be next?????

July 16, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. William

Do what I do: buy Madmen on DVD instead of paying for cable TV. It's cheaper to just buy the shows that I like instead of paying outrageous prices for cable TV that doesn't broadcast what I want to see most of the time. If that doesn't work for you, get Netflix, or watch things online. Cable is not worth it.

July 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Walter White

Breaking Bad is by far the best show on TV. So addictive. I've tried watching Mad Men, just couldn't get into it.

All the cable companies go through these cycles with the content providers, and they always seem to come to an agreement in the end. I don't feel sorry for AT&T or AMC. But AT&T's customer service is ATTrocious, so I see a switch back to Comcast (unfortunately) in my future.

July 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Booooooooooring

This show is one of the most boring on television and there's a reason why it's not even on a major cable TV network: it's dull and only a small contingency care about this show. Even in a country where more people vote for American Idol than the President I am still nonetheless baffled as to what the hell people see in this show such as this that couldn't compete with watching paint dry.

July 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Who Cares

Who care about this show, it is a truly truly boring show. Great, people in the 50's sit around, talk and move slowly, drink, smoke and cheat on their wives, wow what a story line. The dialogue moves slower than BP's attempts to plug the leak in the Gulf. Just cancel it, the show is boring and there's a reason why it's on AMC. Do people have such sad sack live that they have to life vicariously through '50s boredom. Sad.

July 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TMR

ATT Uverse hasn't had AMC since I switched a year ago. I have no issue with U-verse other than not having AMC nor CSS. Imagine living in the South and not being able to see most of the ATL Braves games~.

July 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yozhik

AT&T is the evil empire. This company has mastered the art of driving down wages and recycling jobs for lower pay. AT&T always looks for new and exciting ways to squeeze money out of someone. Bet if they are jacking up the fees to AMC the consumer is not far behind. AT&T will blame the increase on AMC or call it an industry standard then pass on the cost to consumers and the savings to execs and shareholders.

July 15, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. K

Oh come on! Plug your flat screen to your computer and go to Surf the channel . com The truth is that all of them take the money out of our pockets no matter what!

July 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AT&T Is On Your Side, Dummies

I love people getting angry at AT&T over this. You do realize that the conflict here is that AT&T doesn't want to pay more for AMC, whereas AMC wants to charge more. If AMC wins, you all get to pay a slightly more expensive cable bill! Woohoo!

So... yeah, okay, fight on brave soldiers!

July 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cyle

who cares what AT&T or Comcast or any of them do
    drop your cable company and stream/download it on the internet for free
    your local Geek Squad can even set it up to play on your entertainment system

July 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Be Quiet

Who cares about overrated Mad Men? Breaking Bad is the best show on television!

July 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mad Lady

Don't care if they drop AMC. Please keep IFC and WE. Too many commercials and just plain bad programming with AMC anyway. No loss.

July 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Neil

I think MAD MEN is one of the most satisying, original shows created for television in quite a while. However, I've had it wiith Comcast and DirectTV. Most of what I'm paying for are commercials: or the the ALL GODFATHER; CASINO; or GOODFELLAS Channel; or any other number of movies that have been re-run to death. AND,.. on top of that – even commercials in the middle of a Program !! C'mon !!

July 15, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Doug

I am willing to forgo these channels instead of a rate increase. But like anything in corporate America there will be some back room dealings and payoffs and ATT will pick these channels back up and pass the increase along to the consumer. I wish the day of ordering channels al a carte would come because most of these channels these media cos. hold viewers hostage over wouldn't survive. Besides you can watch most of these programs online if you really wanted to watch them in that format.

July 15, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rAdam82

Could care less about BB or MadMen...However, The Walking Dead is premiering in October, and I must see this series. If at&t gets rid of AMC they're loosing a customer.

July 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jennifer

This is why I have Direct TV. I get more channels and better service and it is a lot cheaper than cable.

July 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Annette

AMC is a horrible network. I'm in Alabama and we already don't get Mad Men because of AMC's unfair practices of deciding who can carry their crappy channel. If it weren't for Mad Men they would have nothing to offer. I would rather AT&T hold out for a reasonable offer than give all the other networks a reason to raise rates that would be passed along to me. I love my new U-verse too much to care about whether I watch Mad Men on my TV or at a friends or get the dvd's from the library when they come out next year.

July 15, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Stephanie

AT&T in Little Rock hasn't carried AMC in at least two years, if ever.

July 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. don t spammeu

As long as the channel is back for the new season of Breaking Bad, I don't care. If not, it is toodles, AT&T

July 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Hiker

Did Joanie loose 40lbs?

July 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jim

This is an interesting story...Rainbow is owned by Cablevision, which in the past has pulled such channels as HGTV and Food Network, and even ABC, from its lineup because it refused to pay higher fees. Now that same company is charging higher fees to other companies for the channels it owns, and seems to think it is wrong for AT&T to pull the channels from its lineups rather than pay the higher fees. This would be funny, if it weren't the consumers, who really have no say in this, who were getting hurt the most.

July 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. miked

Both the networks and cable companies are both taking advantage of the consumers. The cable companies offer channels no one wants, and is held hostage for the "good" channels. The networks know that comsumers wants certain channels. Comsumers need to know what it actually costs for each channel and then sdetermine if its worth it for them. We must have a la carte pricing.

July 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. IFB

Boo Hoo. Find a new cable provider. All the other providers have AMC!

July 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. George Mitchell

Although AMC took on the status of network TV a few years ago with all their commercials and self-aggrandizing, AT&T is by far the bigger loser. I left Bright House in January, next Wednesday I'm returning. AT&T's internet service is pathetic. Absolutely, totally pathetic. TV is quite good most of the time, the phone is just that – a landline. Would have kept them, but as I say once again, the internet service is worse than the dial-up days with AOL and Bright House TV is as good as AT&T. And finally, the whole package with BH is over $30 less a month for the same services. Live and learn.

July 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Eric Bishop

No other network has two shows of that caliber in drama. Only Curb Your Enthusiasm is at a similar level of excellence. Of course, most of the viewing public is really stupid and would rather watch Flavor of Love and shows of that ilk...ones that can be easily understood by a 3rd grader. Mad Men and Breaking Bad are works of art. U-Verse seems to be premium offering. I'm surprised that its customers aren't putting more pressure on.

July 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Emily

If AT&T really wants to drop these channels, then we can always subscribe to the show on iTunes if you really can't wait for the DVD. :)

July 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Richard

I don't even watch TV anymore. Why should I have to watch an hour of crap for 20 minutes of something I actually want to watch. I can watch TV all I want on the internet and cut out the cable bill altogether. Which...I do. Suck that Cable Company.

July 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ryan

why does everything have to be about money?

July 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I don't know about you, ryan (July 15, 2010 @ 2:04pm EDT), but I don't like to work for free.

July 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mr. White

Screw Mad Men. Save Breaking Bad!

July 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kev

Christina Hendricks = AWESOME!

July 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Dean

One of the best shows ever, but maybe it's for the best for two reasons. 1) Madmen may have peaked. I really don't want to see it jump the shark, however 2) if AMC went away, I have no doubt there's a cable company that would pick it up. And I'd rather see this show broadcast on something like Showtime (if HBO didn't want it) and allow it to flourish without censorship. And that would be very interesting indeed, if the story lines stayed strong.

July 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  35. shelleygilbert

I personally don't care if AT&T or my carrier, Verizon FIOS, drops Mad Men. I'm disgusted with that show. I think it's outrageous that we viewers are expected to wait an insane 8 months before we see the next new episode after the show closes down in November. I used to love it when it first came out but now I feel like an abused consumer. Matthew Weiner should know that absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder. Sometimes we forget and we move on. Shelley Gilbert, Ossining, NY, http://www.shelleyjoygilbert.com

July 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

That's how summer shows work. They start airing in the summer. Mad Men is not unusual in this manner.

July 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lrn2Torrent

No better time to learn how to find what you want ot watch and then stream the media to your TV's. Channels are going the way of dinosaurs and VHS tapes...

July 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Will 18E

It's always, good T.V. programing that is the endangered species. Whether it is Mad Men, or last year the dropping of Terminator on Fox, these show are always replaced with Dancing with The Stars or reruns of Judge Judy. The issue at hand it that the cable providers are now being attacked by individual shows who want more revenue, based on there ratings. To think that show like Rachel Ray on the Food network, has some of the highest cable ratings, and the lowest premiums payed by cable providers, as contrasted by the Golf Net Work, violates our American sense of what a free market is suppose to be. While it has been customary programing revenues are keep low, so cable companies can offer more broadcasting, channels, programing, and access for programing that has little, scant, or no demand. When the issue of al a cart ordering was being debated in congress and by the FCC in 2005, it was made clear that if this would happen, the half dozen or so ESPN channels would cease to exist, and a single subscription to one ESPN channel would cost $15 if not more. SO if you think that the cable companies, programing, and what you pay is operating in a free market, your highly mistaken. And if al a cart programing were the norm, over half of the channels, and programs would disappear. To include 80% of ESPN's programing. Also cost and premiums demanded by the cable providers to house hold would also have to drop. And then only quality pay to play television would succeed. Your cable subscription pays for nothing more than a platform, for you provider to sell advertising. That is micro and targeted to small audiences, that have are more than willing to be separated from the money in their wallets. Sort of like the National Enquire at the check out line in the supper market. cancel your cable. Get an HD antenna. And what you shows over the internet.

July 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ssimon

Best show on TV. I have been waiting for season 4 for what seems forever. We must have the next few seasons of Mad Men to take us through the 60s, I'm sure that is the intent of the producers.

July 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Julie

The namecalling and fingerpointing by both parties has been shameful IMO. As a customer of AT&T uverse and a HUGE mad men fan, hoping a deal can be worked out.. if not, there are other methods to watching Mad Men. I won't cancel because of this....hopefully a fair settlement for both can be reached.

July 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ken

I like AMC, mainly because of Breaking Bad, but are they in HD on any carrier? They aren't on mine. I'm really not happy about it not being in HD (I know some of the programs are available in HD online though).

July 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ken

At best, it's an average show with weak scripting. It wouldn't be missed for long.

July 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Richard

I normally watch on the net or dvd after the season ends. I could also get it on Appletv. But in all honesty does anyone really believe ATT will not renew. Anyway if you love MM that switch providers.

July 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Clete

I attempted to watch Mad Men when it first was broadcast. I really did, but I couldn't. Cliche characters, boring stories and wooden acting. It was one of the few shows I can remember where I looked forward to the commercials.

July 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Tom

Mad Men sucks.

July 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Christine C

I'm not loyal to insurance companies or cable companies. If AT&T starts screwing around with the channels, Comcast or WOW! is lookin' better all the time.

July 15, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  46. Ron

Let the channel go into the black hole , it used to be great until they became money hungry. There were no comercials on that channel , only a few between the movies. You cannot watch a movie for all there stupid commercials at 5 minutes a shot and so pointless there advertising there own movies and shows most of the time. Let them take there commercials and mad men and just go away.

July 15, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  47. stu

AT&T is run by MAD MEN who r greedy!
    Though this show is HIGHLY over rated

July 15, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  48. bigroyd

AMC was a good channel when it was comercial free, but now you can't even watch a movie way to many comercial's, now it is just another piece of crap cable channel. Ditch it!

July 15, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  49. Justin

Im more concerned about losing Breaking Bad. Best show ever

July 15, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  50. Lucy M

I love MadMen! I hope it stays on for years.

July 15, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  51. Bob

AT&T dropped AMC here in Oklahoma City over a year ago.

July 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  52. Henry

Here is one: Let AT&T do what they want, and switch cable providers (i.e. Verizon Fios, Time Warner) if you care enough. Odds are you would even get a welcome "bonus" as a new customer. I have AT&T for cable, internet and mobile and their customer service is pathetic anyways. Thank God for the Droid X and soon enough there will be some decent cable options in my area.

July 15, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  53. MKJ

If AT&T doesn't keep my AMC IFC and WEtv channels, I don't care what they offer me to stay – I'm switching back to TWC. Besides its cheaper to rent a move on TWC.

July 15, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Doris

Please keep AMC

July 15, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  55. john

Let's see
    ATT, Apple, Wal-Mart, I know there are more, but stay away from these companies – DO NOT give them your money.

July 15, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • greg

Solve all of your problems and get yourself Apple TV and watch every episode, anytime, cheaper than cable. Don't be afraid to step into the future, people. PS – For the person who classified Apple in the same group of "evil empire" companies like Wal Mart, etc... wake up. Apple is the most future-forward company in the world and is cutting edge.

PS – Mad Men... most well-written tv show, alongside Dexter. Hands down.

July 15, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Josef F

Not to get off on a tangent, but...
      Hey greg. Future forward? Really? "Hey, here's a defective phone that you have to hold a certain way or it drops its signal. We'll be happy to send you a cheap piece of plastic that will fix this problem...for thirty dollars."

Yeah, that sounds "future forward" alright. As in "buy our crappy, over-priced junk and we'll FORWARD your money along to our bank account so we can sell you shiny new over-priced crap in the FUTURE. The very near future, that is, because the iPhone 4.1 will be out next month! Now with all-new design flaws!"

July 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  56. John

ATT is a monster.

July 15, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  57. Rebecca

Please reach an agreement soon, I would hate to lose those channels, especially AMC

July 15, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  58. LadyDi

If AT&T drops AMC, I will drop AT&T and go to Comcast again or any other company where I can get this channel !! Pay-up AT&T, I do every month. Drop some other lame channel like one of the many MTVs or the one that constantly has the Kardashian's on...Too many awful channels with too many horrible reality shows.

July 15, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  59. James

Can there be a compromise struck where we keep AMC and ditch WE tv? That would be perfect.

July 15, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  60. Ryan

Wait, AT&T had to 'reach out' to CNN to get their side of the story represented here? CNN didn't call AT&T and ask for a statement? What does that say about CNN's basic competency? I realize this is an entertainment blog and standards are low, but come on.

July 15, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  61. rightatt

Sure, AT&T, you're making good faith efforts to negotiate a better rate for yourself as a company, followed shortly thereafter by another rate hike.

I know you're not the same company as AT&T Wireless, but boy you guys are both reading from the same playbook...

July 15, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  62. jr

AMC has too many re-runs on movies and too make commericals

July 15, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  63. Jess

I have at&t cable and LOVE Mad Men, but maybe Rainbow really is using the season 4 premiere as leverage to try to charge a higher fee. At&t is really nice cable and a lot cheaper than Comcast, so they quite possibly want a fair deal so they don't have to raise subscribers' rates. I love my MM, but I would be upset if my rates went up just to keep AMC (it's more fun to watch on DVD, anyway).

July 15, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  64. Beth

Oh well!

July 15, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  65. margarita zieger

keep amc channel , is the best movies an 100

July 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • George T

I disagree. Before AMC became commercialized it played only classic movies without commercials. You could watch only the better movies without so many repeats and pop ups. Take another look at their movie line up. Let them take it off.

July 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Oh please. AMC shows so-so movies but RIPS THEM TO SHREDS. I watched Friday the 13th, the original, on AMC about 2 years ago right around Halloween. AMC ripped out EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY "gory" part of the movie... and even parts that weren't very gory, going way overboard and editing out stuff even the FCC couldn't give a rats ass about. The completely ruined the movie and cut out everything that made it famous and made it a classic horror movie. They do that to every single R rated movie they get their hands on too. I refuse to watch any movies on AMC any more and just rent them from Netflix.

July 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jim

They need to reach an agreement! Att offers few enough movie channels without losing AMC

July 14, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drando

AMC doesn't show good movies, their definition of a "classic" is shocking. Mad Men and Breaking Bad would be the only good things on the network.

July 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JEB

Switch to Comcast. This will send AT&T a message loud and clear $$$

July 15, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Isn't AT&T a less expensive option that Comcast? I thought they were supposed to be an alternative to the insane amounts that Comcast charges. If AT&T starts ponying up every amount the production companies want, they'll end up at the same price level as Comcast.

Also, I don't know why AT&T is being villainized while Rainbow is being treated as the victim...Rainbow is looking for more profit, simple as that.

July 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Good to know, since I am in the process of switching from Comcast to AT&T in protest. I downgraded my Comcast to economy (which is only every commercial channel in the universe) and now need AMC added to watch Madman, which I cannot do unless I order another "bundle." Channels cannot be customized to viewer tastes because as Comcast says "We haven't figured out how to do that yet." (so just add "and make money" to it for the real truth).

July 15, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire Morton

Do you bone heads really watch TV on your phones? Am I reading this correctly?

July 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • SV

LOL! Claire Morton, perhaps it is time to quit the internets.

July 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ReClaire

claire, AT&T operates U-verse, which is a video over IP service that's similar to cable tv

July 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • praveen

Att Uverse is the best.

July 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cornellian

"Mad Men and Breaking Bad would be the only good things on the network."

Maybe so, but Mad Men and Breaking Bad are also probably the two best shows on television.

July 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |