July 13th, 2010

Whoopi: Gibson's a bonehead, not a racist

Although some say that Mel Gibson is losing his support system since those rant-filled tapes leaked which are alleged to be him talking to his now ex-girlfriend, it looks like the actor and director still has a friend in Whoopi Goldberg.

“I don’t like what he did here but I know Mel, and I know that he’s not a racist,” Goldberg said on “The View” Monday.

“I have had a long friendship with Mel. You can say he’s being a bonehead, but I can’t sit and say that he’s a racist having spent time with him in my house with my kids,” Goldberg went on.

But what about the anti-Semitic comments Gibson hurled during a drunken driving arrest back in 2006? Blame that on the alcohol, Goldberg said.

“Let me tell you something about drunks,” she told her fellow hosts. “Drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time, all the time, because they are drunk. They are out of control, they are not thinking, they are idiotic. That’s why I don’t like alcohol.”

The Oscar winner was clear that she doesn’t think Gibson is drunk on the alleged tapes that have been released via RadarOnline.com, but she still wasn’t going to call the 54-year-old actor a racist.

“I’m not defending Mel, I’m simply saying…I don’t see him as that because that’s not been my experience with him,” Goldberg said.

CNN has not independently confirmed the authenticity of the recording.

Filed under: Celebrities • Mel Gibson

« Previous entry
  1. Linda F

Whoopi I just noticed on my computer that your mom has past away. If it is true I am sorry for your loss. I lost my mom over two years ago and it is still hard on me yet. I was really close with my mom. I don't know if you were close to your mom or not. But there is not a day that goes by that I don't still miss my mom alot. And you will miss your mom to but it does get a little easier with each passing day. I wish there was something that I could do but I know there isn't. This is a really hard time that you will be going through for a while. But you have my deepiest sympathy. And I wish you peace through all that you will be going through.

September 9, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. bli

Whoppi Goldberg, who does she think she IS. She is way to bossy, she needs to exited tv already.
    No person can debate goldberg of the view unless she like you. Hey walters what's up with U.
    Whoppi needs to have been gone before she got there.

August 6, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Man Of Constant Sorrow

Woopy is a sweet, kind person. I believe she is telling the truth about Gibson.

God bless her.

July 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Not_A_Racist

Is Michael Richards still a racist, or was he forgiven? This double standard for racism really blows – when George Allen got frustrated and though he made up a bad word "Macaca", it turned out to be a 17th century slur (please don't try and say this guy knew it was a word – no one did until they fact checked it, and it didn't even apply to the reporter)- and he was a racist for life.

July 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ramubay

I don't know the man personally so I have to bow to those that do.

July 15, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Linda

I am and will always be a fan of Mel Gibson's . I am a woman in my 40's and I will always go to all of Mel Gibson's movies whether he's acting in them or producing them or directing them. I will always support Mel Gibson. Every person in this world at some time has said or done something wrong to another person when in a heated argument. There is no person on this earth that is perfect we all have our faults, we all get angry and say things that we don't mean to say to other people. Like Whoopi Goldberg said ;let anyone who has never done any wrong cast the first stone. I dont think Mel Gibson should go to jail for anything.

July 14, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

You HONESTLY don't believe he deserves some sort consequences for hurting his wife physically, and then clearly threatening her life after? What exactly IS crossing the line? Breaking her bones? Choking her? Hurting the child?

It's pretty amazing what fandom does to our sense of justice. Just keep cranking out movies, Mel. At least Linda will be there to watch.

July 15, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. GiGi

@vettou: I am neither; I just happen to think differently than you. Are you narrow-minded or just delusional? See; I can play that game as well. To which *actions* are you referring, regarding him hating Jews? I know about the drunken rant but what did he ever actually *do* to demonstrate his hatred of them? Also, I agee with you about the infidelity issue but should his career be trashed?
    @Christian: Amen.

July 14, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Christian

I can't speak for all the saints out there, i'm sure we all wish we could hold our tongues. But a lot of us can't. I heard the rant. It's not a racist rant about blacks or about mexicans or about a racial group. it's not ABOUT race. he simply uses racial slurs used in a rant against a woman he's trying to destroy on the phone. They're slurs. this was not a paper written to justify white supremacy, it was a (drunken) rant that was (not in public but) rather private. It's not worth seeing the man destroyed in public. Unless he has harmed someone physically. Otherwise, sticks and stones. This was a TELEPHONE conversation between a fumed couple, it's not a milestone in social digression. Come on people, grow up.

July 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. vettou

Always blame the alcohol...wrong. He is a stone cold racist, he seems to preach one thing and live quite another.

July 14, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Skye

Hey Whoopi – Did you ever hear the saying "a drunk man speaks a sober man's mind". Say what you will, but you're just being blind.

July 14, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. wraith1

whopi, your're just like jesse jackson, a has been. you are no longer relevant.

July 14, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Timme62

Mel's a drunk with issues, the girlfriends a opportunist and Whoopi should have stuck to stand up comedy. Nothing these people say or do is going to affect me or pay my bills.

July 14, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. cathy044

no matter what i still like mel the drunk idiot

July 14, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Richard Deubler

You know now what kind of problems the child will have if the child is taken away from the mother.A man like this is not concerned about the child.The child will probably see this with age.

July 14, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brittany

For once, I think I agree with Whoopi. I listened to the recording, and to me, his comments don't come across racist. Saying the N* word doesn't make you a racist.

July 14, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. FREEDOM

Frankly I can say anything i want racist or not... I think whites should have kids with whites, blacks with blacks, and asians with asians..... BUT i am married to an asian (i am white) so i am racist? (hey i like to break rules) Can we be paradoxical can we not be wierd? I say dont try and put mel in a box... I like to say...."it has demons in it" and some people freak out and walk away... I am very religious and so are they but they cant handle demons in satire. Maybe Mel has demons in him?

July 14, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. wendy

I'm worried about Whoopie.....Last year she writes the NY courts about what a stand-up guy Brooke Astor's Son Anthony Marshall is after he is reported by his son for elder abuse of Brooke Astor, found guilty after pretty much all of her staff and friends confirm the abuse.. This year she is defending Mel....I'm just waiting for her to write a book on how misunderstood
    Hitler was...

July 14, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Robin

oh. okay Whoop.
    So hes not a racist(ignorance is bliss),
    hes just an as*h#le.
    as are you.

July 14, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. GiGi

I do not understand why anyone thinks that Gibson hates Jews based on his movie "The Passion of the Christ." I saw the movie and am familiar with the bible's description of the crucifixion. The movie seemed pretty accurate, IMO. Did some folks miss the parts in the movie which showed the awful role that the Romans had in the whole thing?

Here's my two cents on Gibson: He seemed to do no wrong until he made the Passion movie. The Jewish community was immediately offended, and his troubles began. Think back to everything that has happened. Gibson has done some stupid things which he must be accountable for but I think that he has been gangstalked for quite some time and I think that this Russian woman was a plant.

July 14, 2010 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
    • vettou

Are you blind or just an idiot. He lacked a spiritual connection with his wife as shown by cheating on her. As for why he is believed to have a problem with Jewish people... his actions and his WORDS. She is not a plant, he wasn't lead astray... he just couldn't keep his zipper up or his mouth shut.

July 14, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. rcc

Was he wrong yes, does everyone know what he said yes, do we know what was said to him prior to his rant no. Does it effect my job, life, everyday world no. WHO CARES. I do like how we in america can call all whites racist.... not like I have ever met people of other races call me hateful names..... wow. Why is it if rappers use the N word.. no one calls them a racist, its culture, but if anytone else says it it is racist? Is it because it is the norm or accepted? I believe that if it unacceptable for one American it should be unacceptable for all Americans...... and yes I said Americans...... if your passport does not say Africa or Ireland, or Russian and only says USA.. then you are an American.

July 14, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. luvly1013

Thank you! for your comment Whoopi, I agree also that Mel Gibson is not a racist. Oksana did used Mel Gibson for money, and I believe that's what sparking the rage inside him. Mel to me is more of a victim then Oksana is. I have a big problem with these tapes shes releasing constantly on air. This woman is also not a lady of abuse because shes not poor and had no reason to stay in this so called fear for her life relationship as long as she did. Oksana could have easily left the relationship if she was really truly scared for her life. Thats why they have battered shelters.

July 14, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  22. James

Well, first, the only reason someone makes a tape like this is to expose someone or something. Interesting how calm she is, and how she retracted her threat when she realized she was recording herself. Hmmm...sounds like a plan. Perhaps we should record all of your private conversations and expose them, so we can see how holy and pure you all are. Seems to me the old "He who has not sinned..." applies here. As for Mel, obviously there are some issues he has to deal with. I said "he" not us. He's not a minister, he's an actor. Take him off the pedestal he has no desire to be on. Let him deal with his life. If you like his movies, go see them. If you don't like him, so be it. Now, can we get on to some real news...Haiti, Oil, war, people dying for our freedom, homeless, uninsured, and any other real issue out there...please!!!

July 14, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. Yaffa

Of course he's racist and anti-semitic. He said what he thinks. He spoke in anger. Who hasn't? However, how many people use African Americans and Jews to ameliorate their behavior? Only one group: racists. That's it. The public giveth, and the public taketh away. He worked hard, he did a good job, and we acknowledged his talents by buying tickets to his movies. He has now proven he isn't worth the price of admission, so he can continue to work hard, and those of us who are thinking, kind, and reasonable people will simply not support his efforts anymore. David Duke could make a great movie, but I wouldn't go. Mel Gibson is of the same ilk. He just hasn't been as honest about it.

July 14, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  24. Ohsnap!

I haven't seen Danny Glover come out and defend him. How can he? Or anyone? This is more than just someone being angry. His rantings are scary and violent. If this was anyone else other than a movie star people would be outraged. It amazes me how people are able to defend someone just because they are famous.

July 14, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ohsnap!

Whoopi is a talented woman but she's an idiot to defend this guy. She's not a great judge of character but then, her talent says nothing about her ethics.

July 14, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • rcc

Let me guess she is an idiot because she doesn't believe the way you do.... boooo hoooo. She has a right to her opinion, and unlike most peole on these threads she actual knows him.

July 14, 2010 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  26. JT

Ya know, Mel is just like you and me. You and I have all been somewhere, done something, said something that we shouldn't have. Some of us keep on doing the stupid stuff, some of us just dont' get caught again. Poor Mel, having his $$ & star power has the magnifying glass on him so much he can't fart without everybody else wanting to smell it. He is/was in love with somebody that isn't in love with him anymore. Happens. To you, me and everybody. Only reason it's in the news is because who he is. My neighbor and his wife had a fight the other day, lots of profanity, racial slurs and even some fisticuffs, know what? Never made the news. Not even the local news.
    I've always enjoyed his movies, and if he makes anymore good ones, I'll go see em. That's what we do. That's what he does. I really don't and I don't think you should either give a dam about what he does off camera. He should have his private life, just like me, you and most of us. I'd sure hate to read about my family problems on cnn or worse yet, the self proclaimed doo gooder of all time, Nancy Grace...now there's abuse for ya....
    Come on Mel, make some more movies, punch her in the mouth again and tell her to shut her pie hole!

July 14, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. JudyB

Maybe the choice of words he is really telling himself what he thinks of himself but not man enougt to admit it to himself. What an foul mouthed idiot.

July 14, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. Leeo

Being drunk does not mean you are excused from your actions or words..if you can act like an adult being drunk...don;'t drink if you can...be responsible for your own actions....As far as Gibson...he drinks so much that you surely can't use alcohol as an excuse..

July 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Claude

I think his anger stems from having to deal with the public's negativity regarding his divorce from his longterm wife and his decision in coming out and introducing his new pregnant girlfriend shortly thereafter. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to know that he was blind in love with this new mystery woman. Unfortunately, Mel has a pretty bad history with drinking and rants. I think he is furious because of everything he has had to sacrifice in terms of his recovery from the previous incident. She clearly does not sound upset at all when he calls her names. What she does sound like is calculating person. She has definitely taken him as a fool and his words clearly demonstrate why he is so angry. I know of some women who have slapped their husband's in order to get a reaction and then calling the cops on them in order to take them to the cleaners. I am a woman too and am ashamed to see women lower themselves in this manner for a buck.

July 13, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. DIXIE

I think Mel was mad because he was promised some azz by this woman and had shun him since the birth of the baby! He keeps ranting he needs a woman, and ranting about meeting him at the jacuzzi. She knew she was recording him and got him to show out not that he needed much help, but I think she promised him some azz and constantly put it off with excuses..

July 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. KALEN OKAMEME

What a curse fame has become. Who hasn't said inappropriate things? Obviously the guy is enraged and obviously the reason behind it is not clear. All of us have said horrible things to people we care about, or don't care about. I don't know what's in the head of Mel Gibson. Personally, I don't think he's racist. I can see why many people are quick to jump on such an obvious conclusion. The media is so two dimensional, and Im astonished that people buy into such base assertions.
    I will still watch Mel Gibson films.
    If you want to see racists, watch Fox News!

July 13, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Chris

Unfortunately, it is easy to attack Mel because he has an anger problem and says stupid things. How many of us have said or laughed at ethnic jokes? How many of us who are married have said hurtful things to our spouse? We are a society that says reckless things all the time. Do we really mean every one of the things we say? Of course not. The tongue is sometimes quicker than the brain. Everyone give Mel a break. He needs to recognize he's being an idiot and he needs to smarten up. Let's get on with our lives.

July 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mr. mike

ok so i don't really get this have none of you ever been angry before a day in your life i know i have and as someone who can really relate with mel i have little self controll when angered i have been working on this problem and dealing with it my entire life and the one thing you notice about these situations is simply this you will always say the things you think would hurt the most out of anger cause the truth of the matter is you arent' really angry so much as hurt and you want the other to feel the same so weither you truely mean it or not you say it simply because you know it will cut the deepiest and don't ge me wrong it is never the right path to take when in a situation like this but t
    o call the man a racist is takeing the situation entirely too far in the oposite direction

July 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mel Simpson

Yah, and Whoopi isn't African American too.

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. anonymous_was_a_woman

It's unfortunate that God made man with two heads but gave him only enough blood to feed one of them at a time.

July 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jrt

whoopie you got balls....good for you

July 13, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  37. DLJ

In a way Mel Gibson's career is already over in this context. Nobody including myself will ever look at him the same way again. I just hope this doesn't end up like another infamous verbal and physical abuse case. The OJ Simpson case.

July 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jrt

First of all If you listen to these phony tapes ...its not his voice. #2 his little wife waited how long to file this complaint?
    I smell a money scam.. #3 Mel will not loose his popularity no matter what big fat mouth joy behar, she just pist because she still shacking with a jew? so she's a little pist about that, but can you blame her boy friend...take a look at her...she is fat very unattractive? oh yes. her show really sucks.......

July 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. doris

i think mel gibson is a victim of another gold digger woman. not too many people would come out smelling like roses after beening bated into a auguement and unknowly taped.

July 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mr. Davidson

She could be right ,racism is strange ,it can be hate filled or it can just be descriptive.Mel obviously does not live a racist existence as some will though exhibits some of the peripheral descriptions obviously ,at times of personal distress.Then often racists do not hate ,only have established fundamental differences pertaining to the genetic inheritance differential in the human race and prejudice based on such. Mel doesn't implicate a deep prejudice but a more superfiicial society based outrage.

July 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  41. TweedleDee

I have long thought Whoopie was the dumbest person on TV. Proof I was right!

July 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Marky

I have seen alcoholics say all kinds of things they didn't mean or believe when they had been drinking. I've absolutely seen people say things when raging that they do NOT believe or mean, because they are angry and feel powerless and helpless. This woman is a queen of cruelty and twisted control, and I don't think Mel Gibson is a racist or an abuser. I think he's been manipulated and used by a power hungry woman who can't wait to use a child for money.

Mel is famous for loving his children and caring for them deeply. He would never put his child in danger; not so sure his freaky ex could claim the same. I will darn sure go see his movies and might just watch one tonight and I am sure not a racist. My mixed race family will be glad to join me and cheer for Mel. I'm sick of everyone jumping on such a stupid bvandwagon when they're probably getting loaded and saying worse every day!

July 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. kc

So I get why Whoopi said what she did. Judge not folks, every person who called Mel a racist and writes him off has at some time in their lives said something they-at heart- didn't mean and do regret. They just didn't have someone recording their low points and selling them to magazines for money!

July 13, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. kc

Mel doesn't appear to possess alot of self control. I remember reading about his father and how Mel has said he was racist, etc... you have to wonder if it's more a case of like father, like son- that he has a legacy he isn't particularly proud of that comes out when he loses control whether drunk, angry, etc... I have a family member that grew up in an extremely abusive, racist household. When he gets angry he on rare occasions says things his father would have said because right or wrong that is what he learned, but he immediately apologizes and has had counseling for this because 1. he isn't proud of it – and 2. he would like to be able to control it and struggles to do so every day because he is genuinely a good man. Believe me, we don't condone it but the value of a person is not measured only in their flaws.

July 13, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kareen

Love Whoopi but she is wrong. She seems to stick up for celebrities no matter what they have done.
    Roman Polanski, now Mel and just because Mel was a guest in her house doesn't erase his vulgarity.
    Never will I ever watch a movie with Mel Gibson in it!!!!
    Stick a fork in Mel, he is done

July 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Cali Girl

Really who cares! Gibson is another twisted moron with lack of everything that money can't buy him. If you don't like him or like his "great" personality does it really matter you don't know him on an personal level. The real deal is if you "like" him its the movie roles and other behind the camera work he has done that has made you form some sort of opinion of him. He isn't your friend and if he is that is your deal not the publics. Don't support his movies or other projects if you can't stand the man based on the media. Decades have passed and we continue to idolize "celebraties" why?! They are just plain human beings like you and me, some a little more twisted than others but they are human. Why can't we focus on real issues like oil spills, the war (remember that one), our education system and the things that directly effect us as a society. So screw Gibson boycott him who cares but stop giving him the attention he doesn't deserve!

July 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Raphias

Hmmm....Not a racist???

He's made very insensitive remarks about Jewish people, now African Americans.

But because he sits around Whoopee house-not to worry!!

This man is a "closet racist" and Whoopee is an idiot for defending him.

Or may be she's hoping he'll have her star in a movie about ugly women!

July 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Chuck

Sometimes Whoopi is such a fool. And a phony to boot. Check her out on The View. Always swearing to GET ATTENTION and pretending it was a slip. Give us a break. Probably spent an hour or two with Gibson and calls him a friend. She AIN"T foolin' anyone. Get a grip WG and fess up to the fact that your friend is a racist drunk who thinks he is above the rest because he has a buck. yea right.

July 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jeannie gallaway

Sorry Whoopi!!! He was just being nice at YOUR house! His true self has come out...And by the way..what's up with him saying.."the past three years" I thought he has only been seeing her for half that time.

July 13, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Delores

I love my fellow Scorpio and sistah Whoopi but on this we disagree. It is true that a drunk may say things he or she might not say if sober but the fact is the thoughts are there and it is drink that allows th person to say what they believe or feel. Mel Gibson is bigoted. He is an abuser. I do not think we shouild give him a pass.

July 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Indie

Mel's girlfriend is a professional at this game.
    The alleged tapes sounds like she set him up (if indeed it is him.) If true he might be able to sue her.
    Mel Gibson is not a racist person, I like Mel Gibson as an actor and Mel has contributed many excellent and memorable movies.
    Mel Gibson needs to get help with his drinking. If he gets that under control, he'll at least be able to keep his anger under control as well.

July 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Mel says:

Whoopi is not a woman

July 13, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Anita

I have to say that I have always believed that alcohol makes one more brave to say the things that are already on their minds. It removes inhibitions. Sorry Whoopi! I love you and have always enjoyed Mel up until recent years. I am very disappointed in him but believe that God will forgive him if it is appropriate and send Mel my prayers for forgiveness. God Bless!

July 13, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Carolyn

Correction: As fond as I am of Whoopi, she lacks a sensitivity chip. Does anyone remember back when she was dating Ted Danson? They appeared at a public event with Ted dressed up in black face. Whoopi did not see anything wrong with that farce either.

July 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmm

How sensitive do you need to be? It seems like these days anyone in this country would find reasons to get upset over a celebrity doing something stupid. We all know Mel has been on the downfall since his DUI arrest a couple years back (and perhaps before that as well), but seriously? Are we going to continue bashing the dude while he's down? Though I am not saying we should show sympathy, we should do what we should've done a long time ago... shut him out of our minds and out of our concerns. He's no good to us now and he won't be good to us in 10 years... as one has said before, he has become a Lethal Weapon to us all...

July 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Carolyn

As fond as I am of Whoopi, she lacks a sensitivity chap. Does anyone remember back when she was dating Ted Danson? They appeared at a public event with Ted dressed up in black face. Whoopi did not see anything wrong with this farce either.

July 13, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lala

And Whoopie was dressed as a "white-face". They were making a point, but I guess you can't see that because you probably think only white people can be racists. Sad.

July 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. GiGi

it's very obvious that Mel wasn't thinking about how much money he has during his "outburst". I personally do not

believe it's just about money. It seems it's much deeper than we will ever know. Besides anger, he reveled a very

powerful point: "locking spiritual connection with his mate". We all know how important is for all of us to have

"that special connection" with someone close to us. If he doesn't, he must feel like a "lose sole", and every

negative feeling he has been suppressing for God knows how long, most likely long before his divorce came to his

mind, came to the surface. It seems like he is going through a very difficult time, and suffering from the

"highest pick of frustration imaginable". We all know that there are always "three" sides of the story: the

parties involved side, and the story we decide to believe after listening to both parties.
    I condemn 100% his behavior, because I will never allow anyone to even touch my hair, but we do not know exactly

what happened before she has the chance to record the "phone fight". She did not sound emotional at all. she

sounded more under tremendous control of every word she was saying, and Mel, without knowing she was recording

him, was saying what ever his frustrated mind was thinking. Even though it was very heated moment, Mel never

reveled exactly what is it that she did to provoke such a rage. He just said he couldn't "trust" her, and

whatever was, he couldn't forgive her, and did not want anything to do with her. It seemed to me it was a "big"

thing. He needs a lots of mental help, to be able to fix everything else is wrong with his life for sometime

already. I would like to hold on the judgment for know, and wait until the authorities take care of their

problem, before throng the towel.

July 13, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. frenchbuggler

OK...what else is new around here...we need to be takin care of bizness!

July 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

We can take care of the real business, you just keep trolling these boards.

July 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. frenchbuggler

Mel Goldberg is a frickin idiot!!! Completely insane! Needs two frontal lobotimies!!!

July 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • you are a test tube baby

I think you should demonstrate for us how two frontal lobotimies are done... on yourself.

Who names themselves frenchbuggler? Go jump off a cliff and end life. Even Ebert would give that two thumbs up.

July 13, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Linda

He is not racist...angry, but not racist. People say a lot of things when they are angry. The woman is angry because she wants a lot of money and he wont give it to her. Get over it and move on. These recordings should have never been made public. Truly I tell you, I have said worst things to my ex.

July 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • frenchbuggler

Then u are an idiot too!

July 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • car1944

What you say followed up by what you do determines who you are. This man has said things that are absolutely offensive to black people and you sit there and make excuses for him. Not only has he displayed his racism, but also his anti-jewish sentiments as well and again you sit there and make excuses for him.
      Sorry, but your comments tells me an awful lot about you and I do not know you, nor would I want to.

July 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim cornejo

I don't believe racial slurrs are actually racism. I don't generally use them. I've been alive long enough to witness
      real racism. I know for sure that no words can compare to racial actions. I believe that if Mel was actually racist
      he'd be very public about it.And in no way apologetic.

July 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • kuuipo

best response yet...

July 14, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  60. cindy

Whoopi defended Roman Polanski as well..........

July 13, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Madin Brookside

If Mel did all these things to her why did she allow him to share joint custody of the baby? If someone punched me in the face while I was holding my child, I certainly would not let that person share custody. She's a gold digger. She's looking for her 15 minutes of fame. I support you and love you Mel. Stay away from the gold digging tramps buddy.

July 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mackrel

Garbage in, garbage out. Mel is simply revealing the inner him. Whoopi, I don't care if the guy ate mash potatoes and cornbread off of your feet, he obviously doesn't think of you enough as a mutual, respectable friend to not say something as vile and RACIST as what he did. Slavemasters fathered children of slave women all the time. Some actually cared about the women....that didn't mean they didn't feel superior to those slaves because of "who" they were in their minds – n****rs. I'm black and there isn't a doubt in my mind Mel is a racist...not just against blks...jews alike. I agree, I wonder what Danny Glover thinks as well. A well-known advocate for civil rights and black history. Even in Lethal Weapon 4, Murtagh wanted to help the Chinese family because they were sold as "slaves" and no one had helped his ancestors. He explained that same concept to Riggs in his house. Riggs understood....I guess Mel didn't. I've always been a diehard Gibson fan....not anymore.

July 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mary

LBW, I think she said she doesn't know who RELEASED the tapes, not that she doesn't know where they come from (duh). Presumably the cops have the recordings, so could have been leaking them ... and she could have leaked them herself, of course.

July 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  64. jon harris

Remember the tirade of Mr. Baldwin directed at his daughter? Sounded pretty bad. I believe he's won a couple of emmy's since. My point? People forgive. Don't be to quick to judge. I'm sure Mel Gibson is not as bad as he appears, just as Alec Baldwin is not the creep he sounded like on his famous tape. I'm glad my worst moments were not taped for the world to hear. Whoopie knows Mel, lets give her the benefit of doubt. Sometime good people do bad things. peace.

July 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  65. wb

whoppi neds tgo leave the view. Mel is cool

July 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. LBW

Jesse Jackson is a racist, Al Sharpton is a racist. Mel is just stupid. She set him up. Three recordings have now surfaced and yet she claims she doesn't know where they came from. As for Hulk, his ex wife caught him with their daughter's best friend. Hulk's stupidity opened the door for the ex to do what ever she wants to do with another man or boy. Do these people not think before they do?

July 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • _poster

So saying racially offensive words to describe jews, black, latinos, and whoever else he's ever talked about doesn't make him a racist??????

July 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. LJ

The truth shall set everyone free !!!!

July 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  68. sw

I'm arican-american and I don't know if he is racist. What he said definately is racist but it also the ranti of a person with real mental issues. Does any normal person sound the way this man sounds? NO. Even though he has more money than any of us will ever see, that does not stop him from having a mental breakdown. I'm no psychologist but he is obviously going through some things and has for a long time. I believe this woman was initially after money but it soon turned into something much more than that for her. I believe she did record him because she feared for her life and that of her daughter. Who would've believed her if she'd gone public with these recordings? Noone, because who in the world would believe Mad Mel would do such a thing. In my opinion he needs jail time for the physical abuse and mental treatment to dig into the root of his issues.

July 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • sw

I meant to say "who would've believed her if she had not gone public with these tapes".

July 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  69. nora

Whoopi is all wrong! There are some very nice people in jail. Mel Gibson is what he is... a very talented
    crazy person who knows no boundries.. ..To bulldog....this woman says almost nothing
    and he goes ballistic to point of hyper ventilating..good thing she didn't really speak up. Besides she
    did go to the dentist and told him her teeth were knocked out by this wacko while she was
    holding her two month old child! I am done with him, and his movies!

July 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  70. jimm

It is Mel fault for having a baby with her...he is a big boy and knows how babies are made... How come he did not know she was a gold digger??? This is a classic case of an OLD man thinking with the "other" head, leaving his wife of over 20 years and all his other what 7 kids to be with a hot young women...she played ya...oh well. If he had done the right thing and stay ture to his wife and marriage this would of not happened. He is a rich star.. he does not know there are gold diggers...anyway it is ok to hit and swear at her?? She is the mother of your child....

July 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • car1944

jimm,jimm,jimm, you must have come from a dysfunctional family to say the things you said. Sorry but this guy is a real sick puppy and he needs help. And oh by the way, maybe you should look into some counseling also.

July 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ car1944

Before you tell others to get help, look in the mirror first.

July 13, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. dan

What alcohol does is loosen people up. What was maybe "bottled up" inside Mel came out thanks to the result of his drinking too much. The alcohol wasn't talking, Mel was.

July 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Lynda

I absolutely love Whoopi!!

July 13, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  73. cole

I'm done with him after hearing those tapes. He's dead to me.

July 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Bulldog

Whoopi I agree with you!

Has anyone looked into Oksana Grigorieva past. This is not the first star she shacked up with and had a kid. She is a classic wacko. In all these voice recordings she is not saying much because she is recording. This is a just a typical extortion case against a star. People look at whats going on, she is not saying a thing and Mel has no clue she's recording this. If her teeth were knocked out why didn't she go to the press, why wasn't it recorded by police or why didn't one of these wormy photographers catch it on film. No Mel should not have been saying or doing what he was but this woman going after Mel for money and probably driving him nuts to get it. Same with Hulk Hogan, his wife is banging some 19 year old and he is enraged because he is seeing this 19 year old driving his car. What man wouldn't be ticked. Look and both sides of the story before judging!

July 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • car1944

To: Bulldog...So because the lady has shacked up with other stars makes what Mel Gibson did OK? I have been a Mel Gibson fan for a very long time, but when you listen to his ravings and the content of them, you cannot excuse the fact that this man is simply anti-smetic and if not racist, he definitely has a problem with black men.
      Whoopi is a friend so if she decides to stick by her friend, that's her right, but Mr. Gibson has some real heavy problems.
      As far as his movie career is concerned, I think he's done.

July 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grace

He as much as admitted that he hit her and broke two of her teeth. And this while she was holding their daughter in her arms. What if he had knocked her to the ground and the baby had been injured?

Whatever Oksana's background and intentions might have been, domestic violence is never acceptable or excusable.

July 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. beenz

He's done. Stick a fork in him.

July 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Pedro

Sorry but Whoopi is full of it, Of course he's a rascist and a drunk and an abuser an ABUSER. Abusers are also people that go out of control because they want to be in CONTROL ALWAYS.

July 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I agree, this is coming from the woman who believes we should all forget about what Roman Polanski did and forgive him.

July 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

I think Whoopi's dreadlocks are wound too tight. Something isn't getting through to her brain.

July 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • rufus

racism is hatred. words are just words.

July 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mearder

I am black
      I would say no Mel Gibson is not a racist i would definitely go see a movie with him in it
      I love Mel Gibson
      i do believe the voice was his and he did say those things
      put it this way i ve said bad things about whites too and i love them
      I love Whoopi Goldberg for her mind
      she doesn t think like others
      since her comments are not the usual norms people get upset
      she s my favourite black artist and LEE SCRATCH PERRY

July 27, 2010 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  77. Mary

I've always been a Mel Gibson fan and I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt. But, I have to disagree with Whoopi. Sooner or later, "what's in you will come out".

July 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Okay, so let me get this straight. If a famous black person says that another famous person is not a racist, that trumps all other evidence to the contrary? Wow, cool.

As for Mel, in what PR folks are calling a terrible decision, Mel Gibson is going to produce, direct, star and self-finance Braveheart 2: The Jews and Blacks Storm Malibu.

Read this hilarious article about the movie.

VERY FUNNY.

July 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

I've been around long enough to spot a racist when I see one. It's not rocket science. I am black as well as Whoopi Goldberg, and Whoopi does not speak for me. The man is a drunk, he's anti-semetic and a racist. Case closed. I will never go to another move with him in it. I wonder what Danny Glover has to say about all this, since he starred with Gibson in those Lethal Weapon films?

July 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vincent441

oh please he said those things in anger

July 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yaffa

Of course he's a racist, bigot, and anti-semite. I appreciate that he's been good to Ms. Goldberg and her family. That does not mean he's not a racist. It means he's made an exception. Many racists do that. He's an anti-semite. One need only watch his movie about Christ to see that he hates Jews. Yep, hates 'em. People who are drunk say and do things that they can keep hidden while sober. No one who is not an anti-semite comes out with how they hate Jews only when they are drunk. He hates 'em, and in his alcoholic fugue, his anti-semitism was able to find its from his heart to his mouth. He is a bonehead–definitely. All racists are boneheads; not all boneheads are racists. Mel Gibson is a violent, angry, deceitful, racist, anti-semite. Ms. Goldberg can stick up for him–I admire her for doing so. Nevertheless, she cannot change what he is–a not-so-genteel bigot. I encourage everyone to do as I do–do not watch his movies or support his efforts in any kind of financial way. We need to turn our backs on him. That's it.

July 14, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • get real

we all have made racial comments, I'm not justifying them. I just don't think of it as racism
      racism is a choice you make. Choosing to hate a race. Not making rude comments. I've said things
      I wish I didn't. I don't think that makes me a "Racist".

July 14, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Van

I am African American, I do not think Mel Gibson is a racist. People make comments all the time about everyone, it does not mean they are a racist. There are negative images of every race out there and many races are stigmatized by some event in their past. Although, I personally do not like the word Mel Gibson used. I have to hear that stupid word in music, videos, movies, on the street, almost everywhere. In all cases that word does not define me, so I learned not to let it bother me. I say things about all races that do not classify me as a racist. People need to stop judging others and focus on their own life. Then maybe this would be a better world. Mel Gibson was angry and went off-that was it!.....

July 14, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • shusi

AMEN WHOOPI!!!! It doesn't make it right ,but damn it havent most of us had a bad crazy drunken night that we will live to regret...or maybe even a sober one?? WHO CARES!! Why not just hang up the phone,get a new man,and move on with a restraining order and a new life....easy fix!

July 14, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Not_A_Racist

Absolutely!!! I never thought Robert Byrd was a racist, just because he worked for the clan.....

July 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Whoopie is a bonehead if she thinks Mel is not a racist! He is also an abuser! Whoopie should stay out of the discussion on Mel because he would not ever defend her if she acted so stupidly!

July 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  78. @ frenchbuggler

You mad, nerd?

July 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Hmm

While the "test tube" reply was rather harsh and unnecessary, if I had to choose between your comment and that guy's comment, I would have to go with the other guy as the better comment. You guys seem to both have a little Mel Gibson in you.

July 13, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |