July 12th, 2010

What's Fiddy saying about Diddy?

Rapper 50 Cent has grown a bit weary of Diddy name-dropping the Notorious B.I.G.

Ever since his death 13 years ago, Biggie's memory has come hand-in-hand with Diddy’s frequent dedications to his former colleague. From past odes like “I’ll Be Missing You” to more recent tracks like Jay Electronica’s “The Ghost of Christopher Wallace,” Diddy's bond with the slain rapper is never far from the public's awareness.

It's a habit that 50 Cent has found distasteful, and he's called Diddy out via an online petition. “Enough is enough,” 50 Cent said. “Biggie’s name should never have become Diddy’s Black Card.”

The message also comes with a link where Twitter followers can sign and plead their allegiance to 50’s cause, which seems intent on exposing Diddy for exploiting Biggie’s memory for his own gain.

“Let Diddy know to let B.I.G. rest in peace,” the rapper added. “When was the last time Diddy really was 'biggin up his brother,' not biggin up his bank?”

Wow. What do you think - does 50 Cent have a point?

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Song Yamaoka

Great article! niouwhgfd

February 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rumsiemerchild

please dont say anything by yung joc, soulja boy, hurricane chris, paul wall, mike jones, mims, fiddy cent, or any other commercialized "rapper"

October 29, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lindsey McFly

Lindsey McFly \"Best The Am I\" MIXTAPE FREE DOWNLOAD http://www.mediafire.com/?ngtljvnyjom

July 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Reality

There's no way to truly define who the best rapper ever to live was or is. You can break it down into categories like record sales, media exposure, but at the end of the day, my favorite rapper may be just that because of an entirely different reason than why your favorite rapper is who it is.

As far as Diddy name dropping Biggie on a regular basis nowadays, yeah it's definitely pathetic and disgusting, but take a look at what 50 did... This is just another form of beef, and at the end of the day, it's a statement for publicity. 50 and Diddy are relatively similar music moguls as far as the level they have "achieved", so expect a few diss tracks and a response from Diddy soon and maybe we'll see it resolved peacefully, or maybe their will be another war.

The who killed Biggie and Tupac debates will go on forever; they made a huge difference to modern hip hop. All I know is that none of what has been said since 96 is 100% true. It's all heresay and will remain that way since they closed the investigations of the murders. I just hope they can RIP, because I love both of them for different reasons and they really were talented artists in their own right.

July 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • royal crown

I think Suge knight killed them both because they were taking all the limelight away from deathrow.

September 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jesus

fifty cent just needs to realize that he is garbage trying to be like tupac dissing everyone and gets no results he made a bet that he will retire if kayne sold more albums he is still hear making whatever music now he is mad because people make more money and get more attention that him didnt you get the picture to shut your mouth when the game murder you and the rest of the g not crew you have now you claim to be good stick to your word fifty give it up u aint nothing but a poster child

July 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RQJazz4

50 needs attention again. Perhaps he's upset that Diddy signed Rick Ross to Bad Boy. Rick Ross seems to be relevant again while 50 can't buy a hit on the radio now..lol. "Larry Hoovah"!...lol.

July 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

Last I checked, 2Pac was still alive. He made a public statement that he went into hiding because of the contraversy that occured between him and Biggie.

July 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. samuel okure

50 should concentrate on is work B.I.G has gone forever.

July 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Toni

50 Cent should chill out – this is old news.This is just an attempt to help boost record sells for him (50) and Diddy. B.I.G is ONE of the best rappers of all times. Diddy is over doing it by constantly placing Biggie on one of his wack songs and should create foudations in honor of Biggie if he wants t o keep his name alive.

July 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sam

my bad its sonylegend, but still everybody's got opinions of whos best but its very very arguable that he's the best there ever was

July 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sam

Yo SunnyLegend, im a Wu Tang fan, through and through, i like good rap, what do you like? who the he** you gonna say is better, Wayne,? I stand by my word Biggie is the best lyricist to ever put out an album.

July 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonylegend

The name is SONY LEGEND... and son.... I been around, I aint no young dude, ok, so hey BIGGIE is the KING.... NAS is way better than BIGGIE hands down but people want to be all political since Biggie died and 2pac died, they did not want 2pac to outshine Biggie.... so they had to give him something... well lets give BIGGIE the "KING OF NEW YORK"..... thats like John Stockton of the Utah Jazz being the assist king of the NBA with no championship rings

July 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Hey, now... John Stockton was a good point guard. Let's leave the man out of this!!!

Besides, since when does an assist king have to win a championship ring to be known as such? Perhaps if you said (and I know this is cliche) that's like saying Lebron James is the greatest basketball player ever with no championship rings you would be making more sense...

July 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. A

Shut the F&%* up 50. Nobody in your squad is worth remembering. Diddy is in the game because of B.I.G. He was the one who inspired Diddy to come with his own lyrics. He's paying homage, as he should, everyday he's on the mic. BIG was his biggest and best artist ever. You always give respect to the KING.

F 50's none rapping ass. Your whole crew is soft. They have no loyalty to you, so you have to jump on someone else's loyalty. Please, he must have a weak album coming out. No wonder Kayne sells more than he does.

July 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm

There's nothing wrong with dedicating your songs to B.I.G., but to constantly mention his name in each and every song... it gets very tiresome. You really don't think Diddy has changed in a bad way since B.I.G.'s passing? 50 may not be the most credible source out there for this kind of talk, but it's something that needed to be said a long time ago. Ever heard of the term "Rest In Peace?" The way Diddy is parading on about things... I think it's more of a show he's putting on rather than a sign of respect for his fallen friend.

Look at the way he's treating all his artists... Dream... Danity Kane... need I go on any further? He's a total d-bag and everyone knows it. Big time sellout who has truly forgotten how to be humble.

July 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYC4Life

Amen! Rap beefs are so last millenium. Smart artists know it's all about the collaboration. 50 has isolated himself with all his "I don't like you" BS and it finally started to affect his bottom line. When's the last time you heard a 50 cent song on the radio? He started beef with Rick Ross and it completely backfired. NOBODY LIKES A BULLY!

July 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonylegend

BIGGIE the KING of what? how many albums? how many movies? How many Grammys? How many #1 hits? HOW MANY..... yeah what ever son, Half of biggie's fame came from 2pac's beef and his death.

July 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dee

@Hollar said it right... I think 50 is using this to get publicity, hypocritical if you ask me.

July 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jason Voorhees

Puff Daddy is a hard worker, nontheless. This black man found Biggie and Biggie was HIS artist. Their is not evidence of foul play against him. 50 doesnt sell records in the U.S. like he used to. To earn his money, he has to go overseas. Diddy is still much more worth the 50. 50 is a former drug dealer. But he is now a current hater of his own people. Sad. First Kanye, and now P. Daddy. Black on Black hate at its worst. And did you see the buffoons last night, chasing after whites and other non-black participants?! Minstrel show, period. Love yourselves black people!

July 12, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kraig Rasool

The simple-minded will be nothing but that....there are more pressing issues within the music industry and even when
    the african-american commnunity that needs addressing...The many rappers that now saturate the music scene one
    would think that they would come together and produce something worthwhile and put it to a good use.
    Fiddy...Diddy.... sh--ty.......

July 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Hollar

in a way..50 is doing the same as Diddy...using the memory of BIG to stay relevant in the media....hmmmmm

July 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Marcia

If Biggie were still alive, he would be so disappointed with the person that diddy has turned into. He's not the genuine lyric hungry rapper he used to be when he actually was going hard, but now, he's lost his focus and he's not the same person he used to be. He has changed for the worst and the fact that he has the audasity to compare rick ross to biggy, Really, are you serious??? what an Insult. Biggie is one and only and there will never be another like him.

July 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mychaeltodd

What difference does it make, what we think?

July 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

It really doesn't make much of a difference... but that's the point of the message boards... to state our opinions... and perhaps debate if there is a disagreement.

July 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sam

I agree with 50, for the first time, ever. It almost seems a bit late to call him out though, a lot of people have been calling him out for this for years now. Yeah 50 might be tryin to get some face time, but at least he's right. Now i know diddy doesn't only come out with sh** with big in it, but c'moooooon man, how many times have you heard big in the background of one of diddy's wack a** songs, too many, the man thinks he's the sh** when all he did was find Big, I'm the first one to say that Big's the best rapper ever, but Diddy hasn't done sh** worth mentioning since, and if you think so, that's because you've fallen victim to this new era of so-called "hip hop" and you actually dig all his tv shows, his crappy roster of bands, including the Dream Team, with Busta Rhymes being the only exception. Diddy compared Rick Ross to Biggie, to BIGGIE!!!!!!!! If anybody compares, it's sure as he** not Freeway Rick Ross.

July 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonylegend

BIGGIE the BEST rapper ever?...... Ummmmm you might want to slow your roll with that one there buddy.... seriously.

July 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. San Jose

I've always thought that somehow Diddy was involved in both 2Pac and BIG's deaths. Diddy was the biggest star after that for quite some time. Seemed kind of convenient...

July 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • CeeCee

Yeah – funny how Puffy/Diddy/Doppy (whatever) is the common denominator in all of the shootings and deaths. I've always supspected Puffy – – – ALWAYS. He was just a shadow in everybody's star – so somebody need to go for him to shine. Maybe it's not just him missing BIG talking – maybe it's some other reason he's complled to talk about him. I'm just say'n.

July 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. lifesoldier

50 needs to grow up. Doesn't he have a life yet or is he bored. Like rappers tell us if you don't like it turn the channel or turn off the TV. 50 already made a name for himself to get out there, why does he still have to attack another black man for making it. Go find another water deal or something! I am sick of the only way he knows how to get attention is to attack someone else. Go find something else to do.

July 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sonylegend

Diddy is a joke... if 2pac was alive Diddy would not even have a career. 2pac's Hit em up.... set the record straight. Not to mention it was BIG and Puff Daddy (his name at the time) who set 2pac up to get shot the 1st time.

July 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • brooklyn

you got all wrong sonylegend, biggie nor diddy had anything to do with 2pac's death go read the books or see the movie notorious, even when the two were alive it was clearly a false accusation that biggie or diddy had to do anything with the death of 2pac so who killed biggie?

July 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. TJ

I guess 50Cent is just calling it as he sees it - Good for him. In one way you can look at it 2ways - positive & negitive–

July 12, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. FINALLY!

I'll never forget the first time I heard the Police's "Every Step You Take" – or, as I would soon learn, a butchered karaoke version of it, blasting from a convertible on NYC's St. Mark's place. It was horrible and I could not have imagined that it would be the catalyst that would start the meteoric rise of "Puff Daddy", then "Puffy", then "P. Diddy", then "Sean Jean" and now... "Diddy" (Forgive me if I have the order wrong). Since then, I have often tried to figure out the appeal of Mr. Combs and have noticed Biggy reference aplenty. I understand missing your friend, but it doesn't feel like that. It feels, as 50 alleges, that he is using B.I.G. for street cred. Too bad it is coming from 50 who doesn't have the power or the audience he used to. I'm sure we'll have "Diddy" for years to come.

July 12, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  25. lol

He's spot on. Diddy has changed so much since B.I.G.'s passing... more like he's been a sellout artist ever since. The fame and riches have gotten to his head... I doubt he's still singing about "Mo Money, Mo Problems." He definitely doesn't mention B.I.G. in the same way these days...

July 12, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |