July 12th, 2010

Behind the Scenes on 'Showbiz Tonight': Is Mel Gibson the only one to blame?

It's been a rough few days for Mel Gibson, but as we debated today in the "Showbiz Tonight" meeting, is he really the only one to blame in his messy, explosive split from ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva? How much should we be blaming Grigorieva in this mess?

Gibson has been slapped with a criminal investigation for alleged domestic violence, suddenly dropped by his talent agency and is now under serious scrutiny. To make matters worse, RadarOnline.com is releasing more tapes today allegedly featuring the actor and director in another violent and racist rant against his ex-girlfriend.

It could very well be curtains for Gibson's career, but it seems this whole case isn't so cut and dry. "Showbiz Tonight" producer Sid Lipsey said this morning that he doesn't believe Grigorieva is blameless in this drama. Could she be held partially accountable for the fall of Mel Gibson? Did she break the law? Tonight, we're getting the best experts in the biz to duke it out!

Also on our radar today: Roman Polanski is free! The infamous director has been running from the law for almost three decades in a rape case, and today the Swiss government rejected a U.S. request to extradite him on a charge of having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977. Are you outraged, or do you agree with Polanki's release? "Showbiz Tonight" will have up to the minute coverage of this explosive story!

What do you think about any of these stories? Post here and send us your "Showbiz" iReport videos. We'll try to work some of your comments into the show.

Watch "Showbiz Tonight" live at 5pm today. And remember, we're still TV's most provocative entertainment news show seven days a week at 11pm ET/PT!

1. Summer

Ooops, sorry.....my dog just stepped on my keyboard...big dog.

Anyway, as far as these new recordings – He should just stay away from her unless he brings a friend (witness) -
    or a bodyguard. I hope he has some good friends who stick by him and advise him to stay away from her.....because you know she's "baiting" him every chance she gets – to get him all fired up and I KNOW she is wearing a mic.

I so hope this lands in front of some really intelligent judge who questions her carefully about the tapes and the arguments and so on.

AGAIN, WHAT A SET UP.

July 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sam

This is horrible I am living with a man exactley like Mel , At first they are nice and kind and then once your under their thumb the abuse starts, Its horrible to live like this , I have no self esteem, no confidence, I constanlty have anxiety and fear because you never know when they will go off again for no reason, I lost my job, I have nothing left of myself, I just wanst to thank her for bringing this out in the open.

July 14, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. luckyGshires

Ithis woman is EVIL-who would hate so much that they would destroy the father of their baby by WORLD humiliation knowing this would destroy his career-and maybe the man himself.I think she fights much better than he does and she has pushed him to the brink-he's not innocent-but she has given us a glimpse of what he has been up against-manipulative and controling-she should go back to Russia..

July 14, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. N

Maybe she recorded it because this isn't the first outburst he's had and for someone who isn't a well-known public figure to go forward on anything without any evidence would unfairly stack the odds against her. Maybe she follows the "pictures or it didn't happen" philosophy of life. Maybe everything about Mel Gibson is true.
    Maybe people find the use of caps lock to be tied to irrationality. No wait, that last part wasn't about the tapes. Carry on.

July 13, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barbara

YES – THIS IS IN CAPS FOR SURE.
    WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE DETERMINED TO DESTROY MEL GIBSON??
    THIS IS THE MOST ONE-SIDED VIEW IN HISTORY...
    AND, MANY OF US ARE WONDERING – WHY WOULD THE 'X' 'JUST HAPPEN' TO TAPE ALL OF THAT'??
    HELLO PEOPLE –
    MEL SHOULD SUE YOUR BUTTES!!

July 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. glinda

I will not convict a man for words that come out in anger no matter how bad they sound.This to me is words only
    i do not feel it makes them a biget.As far as hitting a woman this i do not excuse for any reson but there is no proof
    of this at this point and time the meda should keep there opinions out until then.

July 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chris

I bet his ex-wife is laughing all the way. IF not she should be.............they deserve each other...karma will get you one way or another.....LOL

July 13, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. lol

Mel Gibson is not only dangerous to those around him but also to himself... this is one Lethal Weapon gone wrong.

July 13, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. dude...

that's so sad. Braveheart was BA but now its like that movie is the only good thing worth remembering about Mel Gibson.

July 13, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. KC

I remember many years ago, when Mel Gibson first came to the U.S. from Australia, and some one was interviewing
    him. They asked, why is your wife never seen in public, and he replied, " women are supposed to be at home,
    barefoot and pregnent". I swear, I'll never forget that, and that was probably in the 1980's. I've never liked him since.
    This guy is a nut case.

July 13, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. chris

He's an ass.. and it should be the end of him right now! I'll never go see another one of his movies..

July 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Never say never. Especially with Mel's newest movie already in the works:

Mel Gibson, in what PR folks are calling a terrible decision, is going to produce, direct, star and self-finance Braveheart 2: The Jews and Blacks Storm Malibu.

Read this hilarious article about the movie.

VERY FUNNY.