July 9th, 2010

'SYTYCD' contender taken out by injury

As Thursday night's "So You Think You Can Dance" elimination show went along, I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that all of the suspense over which contestant would be taken out of the competition was for show, because we had yet to hear Alex Wong's prognosis. (Alex, coming off a lot of momentum from the week before, had been injured during rehearsals for Wednesday night's show.)

Unfortunately, it turns out I was right, and after a long explanation by Nigel Lythgoe - including a description of what a lacerated Achilles tendon is - we got the devastating news that Alex has to rest for three months after his operation.

For a lot of viewers, Alex was a big reason to watch this season. Here was a contestant whom the judges seemed to think was both the strongest dancer and had a very good shot at winning, unlike so many in the past. As Adam Shankman said, "You taught me the best could be better."

Alex's elimination definitely changes things. Jose and Kent have a lot of supporters, but I wouldn't count out a dark horse, as Adam described Ashley to be on Wednesday.

One problem for Ashley, though, was her unexpected appearance in the bottom two. Either the voters really have a lot of trouble remembering anything from the first half of the show (possible), or it's another one of those Sabrina Bryan situations where too many of them thought, "She'll get plenty of votes, so I'll vote for someone else." No matter what it was (maybe the M.C. Hammer pants?), something went horribly awry in the voting because Ashley had her best night so far as a hip-hop dancing ninja and a quickstep virtuoso.

The real dark horse in the race could very well be Lauren, who stayed safe this week, though the fact that she danced with Kent could have had a lot to do with it. Either way, the judges are almost certainly going to do their best to keep the girls in the competition as long as possible.

One dancer we can probably count out, sadly, is Billy, who hasn't been able to connect with viewers the way that Alex did. The voters didn't seem to care for either of his performances as a cat (though Adam's theory that dog lovers were out in force could have some merit).

The voters did come through for AdeChike and Robert, two of the most criticized dancers of the season. AdeChike even got an apology from (Emmy-nominated, angel-choreographing) Mia Michaels for saying, "I miss Alex right now, hard" and saying his Bollywood routine was a "doughnut hole."

As for Robert, I have no doubt that he isn't the least bit arrogant, but his performance this week should have landed him in the bottom, again.

Sad to say, we have to press ahead with this season, post-Alex. At least he will have a chance to return to the stage next season. One request: Can we have Pasha and Anya perform during every results show to soften the blow of eliminations?

What did you think? Who are you pulling for now that Alex has had to bow out? Share your view on video, or in the comments below.

1. lisa

Stop watching the show after Mia's disrespectful comments! Replace her and bring back Alex next year and I may start watching the show again.

July 26, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Angela

Mia Michaels should be replaced as a judge! She is arrogant and narcissistic . Her "constructive criticism" is dilusional and makes absolutely no sense... ex: The movement was like blue water.... "WHAT"! Every season she bashes minimum 2 contestants. I am so glad that Kat took offense to what she said about AdeChike and came to his defense.

July 19, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Music News

Someone has to go every week !

July 16, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

I think there is a God in Heaven, but I just don't understand him. Alex Wong appears to be a nice kid doing what he was born to do and bringing total enjoyment to millions of people. Surely Alex did not deserve this. My heart is bleeding for the kid. I truly hope God will fix his error and let Alex come back next year better than ever!

I also feel sorry for whomever wins this year because there will always be an asterick by his/her name followed by the statement, would he/she have won if Alex didn't get hurt. I am sure everyone wants to win, but I truly beieve they didn't want Alex to get hurt like that.

Kent and Alex probably would have been battling it out in a wonderFUL race to the finish, so I guess now Kent is the front runner. I just wish the judges would stop shoving Jose down our throats – he is just not as good as pasgt B-boys at all.

ALEX BE BRAVE – SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

July 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

With all this nedia coverage and sympathy, I think we will see Alex again somehow, somewhere http://bit.ly/WatchSYTYCDhere

July 11, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. Debbie McIntosh

I think Mia is like a lot of "show business" people - she has her favorites and should learn to be more constructive and less destructive in her criticism. Her dissing of AdiChike was unforgivable! She did the same thing to the hoofer eliminated last week, when she said that "they sent the wrong one home." I felt so badly for both of them. As for Alex, he is one of the most likable dancers to ever grace the show, with all of the talent to back it up. I wish him a full, speedy recovery.

July 11, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. cindy

So sad to hear about Alex.May he recover soon. He was the top contender for me to see win this season on So you think you can dance. Ashely is no Sabrina Bryan. Sabrina was awesome Ashely is just okay. Now. I don't know who will be my favorite as Alex is gone on the show.

July 10, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Leslie

Big Love for Alex.
    Although he could be back next season, I am so afraid that he is very likely to follow in Billy's footsteps.....
    There have been so many injuries until now...... It that possible the injuries are due to the overclaim of choreography?

July 10, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gloria Thompson

I cried so much after they let Alex go due to his injury. I pray they bring him back next season, because that young man is amazing and I think could have won!!! I admit I looked forward to the Bollywood number, but thought that Mia's comments were cruel and unwarranted. I would also have loved to see the number with Alex, but the young man who did dance was wonderful and didn't deserve to be reminded his partner was missed .... it made it sound like his dance meant nothing!! That was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I do pray Alex comes back .... I really looked forward to each of his dances!

July 10, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Teddy

It was very sad to see Alex injured himself a very well trained dancer being injured in rehersal from performing such pieces as Bollywood.. I was appaled by the comments that were given to the only black dancer on the show by Mama Mia, she should had been repremmended by the producers, very un-proffessional. Was this racism? This kid was good and very entertaining. I must say her Choreography is not all that either,quite boring to be honest, that openning piece of the Angels was very elementry and definitely not rememborable. C'mon Mia get of your high horse!!!

July 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • carolyn

Hey Teddy...learn how to spell. Seriously. Yes...sad to see Alex leave. No clear front-runner at this point...at least, not to me. So much depends on the choreography, which is out of each dancer's control. Even costumes, and music can make a subliminal difference in voters' choices. Everything may become more clear after tonight.

July 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rach

sad to see alex go. they mentioned him coming back next season – is that allowed? i truly hope so, although he will definitely start out at an unfair advantage. kent is always adorable in his doe like wonder with the big wide world. i'm sure teenagers eat that up. and in response to robert being called arrogant, i don't think that's really what his problem is. i think nigel was trying to create a sympathy vote for him (tisk tisk nigel) when the truth is just that robert is plain weird. like marc weird, but not in a good way – in an overabundant way. on the flip side, it would be AMAZING to see marc and rob do a sonya dance together – seriously!

July 9, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. marcia

That was a real non-apology from Mia Michaels to AdeChike. AdeChike isn't my favorite dancer, but she was really harsh on him, especially 'longing' to see Alex do the dance – bad form, Mia. On the plus side, glad to see her Addiction choreography was nominated for a much-deserved Emmy. Hang in there AdeChike, and of course ... Kent! We love you, Alex!

July 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Heather

My heart breaks for Alex! He is an incredible dancer! I think my votes are going to Ashley now......and on the subject of Billy, He is kind of creepy weird to me. Good Dancer but something is odd about him.

July 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. debbie

Sooooooooooo sad to see Alex go. Pray that he will recover fully. Now, PLEASE tell me how I can get more details about National Dance Day in DC. I'm close enough, in Baltimore, and would love to go........what time, where ?????

July 9, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |