July 9th, 2010

Madonna to Lourdes: Watch those hemlines!

Madonna has never been shy about showing a little skin, but she’s got a different set of rules for her daughter Lourdes.

“Sometimes she puts something on, and I'll be like, ‘My God, that looks amazing!’ And then I'll go, ‘Oh my god, that's my 13-year-old daughter,’” she told Teen Vogue.

While Lourdes is allowed to wear makeup to special events, “there's always a little bit of a discussion about how short the skirt is... or is there some cleavage showing,” explained Madonna, 51. “And I always say to her, do you want everybody to be staring at your breasts, or do you want people to talk to you?”

Just like her mother, Lourdes likes her attire to be a bit edgy. "Lola will leave in the morning with a pair of tights on,” the singer noted.“Then when she comes home, they're all ripped. I'm like, 'What happened?' And she goes, 'I did it on purpose, Mom.' OK, then."

While the entertainer controls what her daughter wears at home, she let her have free reign when they designed their Material Girl juniors collection for Macy’s, which debuts in August. “I didn't really do anything," the star claimed. "I couldn't even say it was a collaboration. It was 90 percent Lola.”

In creating the Material Girl line, Lourdes drew heavily on items from her mom's closet –- just as she does for her own everyday street wear. "She steals from my closet all the time,” says Madonna, “whether she's allowed to or not.”

And does Madonna ever borrow from her baby? “Um, yeah,” she confesses. “She's got some really cool flat boots and I steal her Converse sneakers."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna

1. Svyatoslavh Begemani

Someone essentially lend a hand to make severely posts I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular post incredible. Great job!

July 13, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Meg

Would people stop saying Lourdes is hot or going to be...she presently is all of 13 yr. old!

July 12, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brent

I was a stand-in for four months on the film "The Next Best Thing" and got to spend a lot of time with Lola. She was just a child at the time, as was I, but we got a long great. I will say this for Madonna, she is one of the best mothers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She was involved with everything from her food to where she was going and who she was going with. Madonna is a person, with feelings. Remember that. Lola also has a bright future ahead of her. She's surrounded with people who care and love her.

July 11, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chona chanco

ah well,talking like a parrot !!!!!!!! Madonna is Madonna , all the parrots here ? tell me who can equal her ?She is an icon , sorry for those who doesn't like her ,because she is really an Icon no matter what you say....

July 11, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Daisy

Note to CNN: it's "free rein" not "free reign".

July 10, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Layla

Love Madonna !! She is being a good mom,who cares about her past ? At the height of her career I was drugging,drinking. I am now 47,sober & clean-still like her music.Blessings to her daughter. We all ,hopefully evolve & change.

July 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joe

Sadly madonna, just like her wanna be gaga sell this crap to your kids but when it comes to theirs..."oh no, I would never..." True hypocrites and trash.

July 9, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MsPuppylicious

best youtube channel i have ever seen

July 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mary

This is rich~! Madonna single handedly destroys morals for a a couple generations of girls, and then wants 'her' daughter to take the moral high road~! ?
    What a crock~!

July 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hotmamabird

yes, madonna was a genius and brilliant marketer of herself and her brand...if not for her, we wouldn't have gwen stefani or lady gaga, both of whom have copied "mama madonna" a lot. what she does with her kid in her private life is her business.

July 9, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MsPuppylicious

I agree ms. hotmamabird! we wouldn't have Lady GaGa or Gwen Stefani if Madonna never acted like you know... Shocking... Oh well. Still

July 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kate

Madonna – does it right every time. You rock.

July 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mo

I wonder how hard it is to parent when you're an occultist and you've spent a good portion of your adult life as a profane ho?

July 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. suzanne

Madonna and daughter are beautiful. Wow!

July 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. eddy

everyone is calling her a hypocrite, yet we have no idea why? Don't remember see any pictures of her in cone bra's when she was 13. Why stray from what the article is about by arguments of her parental skills based on observaions about her when she was much older that 13???

July 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Karen

Pretty sure the phrase is "free REIN," like you might give to a horse - not "free reign," as a king may enjoy. The "free" part doesn't really work with the latter.

July 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kris

Lourdes is gorgeous-wow! And it is so eerie how she has some of Madonna's features.. brows included! Maybe Madonna wants Lourdes to learn from some of her mistakes when she was younger... there is nothing wrong with that. Hypocrite, well maybe but we all do stuff we preach against. I just wish Madonna would return to making the good Top 40 music I grew up listening to instead of the junk she did on Hard Candy.

July 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mark McKee

So, is Lourdes, like, a virgin?

July 9, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jo

Lots of jealousy, catty remarks and stupidity here. I seriously wonder what you would do in her shoes? I'm sure a LOT worse. Think about it.

July 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Narb

Omg liek blah blah blah hemlines! Madonna! blah blah clothes!

July 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. SilentBoy741

"Lola will leave in the morning with a pair of tights on ... Then when she comes home, they're all ripped. I'm like, 'What happened?' And she goes, 'I did it on purpose, Mom.'

Well I guess that sounds better than "Dennis Rodman gave me a ride home from school."

July 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. mar

Isn't this the woman who had an affair with Alex Rodriguez? Her marriage and his marriage ended as a result... but oh yeah, honey, don't wear your hemlines too short. Mother of the year!

July 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jimthedo, Phoenix, AZ

Again, why is this news? Cripes...

July 9, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mary

Madonna is being ridiculous and a hypocrite, as usual.

July 9, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. happy

@rayca2 so you were there to witness her whole life to know that your accusations are FACTS and not assumptions? It's not surprising that a woman's success is all due to promiscuity rather than her talent. May I remind you she has been on top for over 20 years, LUCK has had nothing to do with that.

July 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. CHINDOHA

SEE....WHO IS TALKING ?

July 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. happy

For those saying Madonna is double standard with her daughter.... At age 13 Madonna went to an all girls Catholic School, she graduated high school a straight A student and received a dance scholarship. All her scandal and controversy has been calculated and very well executed. She is a genius. Which is why she is where she is and we are all commenting on her life and parenting decisions! :)

July 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rayca2

Right. Luck had nothing to do with it. Hard work, calculation alright. Screwing anything that moved with a contract. Screwing over anyone that got in her way. She put one foot in front of the other. When she got attention, she kept moving. Lots of people do that, just not at the expense of losing friends, relatives, respect for oneself, integrity, etc., etc.

July 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Rachel

What's the big deal here? Madonna today is grown up. She has 2 children of her own [from 2 different fathers] and a few adopted childen, and she seems to be a really good mother. She's even penned a few wonderful childrens' books. She's an involved parent. This has nothing to do with what she did at the same age as Lourdes. Madonna isn't a hypocrite about this. She's smart because she's teaching her daughter to do better. And anyone who blames a young Madanna because their kids didn't turn out right is barking up the wrong tree. A child's parents are responsible for the upbringing of their children, not pop icons.

July 9, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Pope Charlene

Where is Lourde's dad? Or was he bought out $$$$ and retired to the stables? What a shame, but then again, would never want Madona for a mother. Trashy and plastic. I pitty the kid.

July 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Lourdes' father was Madonna's personal trainer at the time. And if you don't know that, then you must have been in kindergarden when it hit the news. And just how do YOU know whether or not the girl is in touch with her father or not?

July 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rayca2

There's plenty of recent pics of her with her father and of Madonna jogging with him. They are great friends, raising her together. He's also an actor. He was in the series OZ on HBO.

July 9, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monrocsol

You know, I don't it for a fact, but looks like Madonna did a terrific job as a mother. I don't know what makes a brat like you say what you said.

July 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Rayca2

Grow up, Madonna. Thank God it's not about you anymore. Looks like you're having a hot flash right before our eyes in that pic. They use that one a lot too. Ha, ha, you old bag.

July 9, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

You obviously have no experience with menopause. If Madonna was having a hot flash here, her face would be red, not looking like fine porcelein.

July 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

that was totally uncalled for.I'm 54 and see me at 40 till i pull my arizona drivers license out.I can out run,swim and 12 meter high dive most teenagers and 20-30 year olds.So don't be so fast to judge as you'll see 50 soon enough.You your people as you put it havn't lived long enough to know what life is about,while you might think so,you'll soon find out.oh and i don't even take any kinds of drugs or treatments to keep me young,why?,because i choose not to be over weight like this young generation is,no reason for being over weight unless of course it's a medical condition causing it.I certainly hope you don't beleive your invincible,if so your really in trouble now.by the way in 30 years you'll find your ex life is better in your 50's that what you are now.

July 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

Rayca2:that was totally uncalled for.I'm 54 and people see me at 40 till i pull my arizona drivers license out.I can out run,swim and 12 meter high dive most teenagers and 20-30 year olds.So don't be so fast to judge as you'll see 50 soon enough.You young people as you put it havn't lived long enough to know what life is about,while you might think so,you'll soon find out.oh and i don't even take any kinds of drugs or treatments to keep me young,why?,because i choose not to be over weight like this young generation is,no reason for being over weight unless of course it's a medical condition causing it.I certainly hope you don't beleive your invincible,if so your really in trouble now.by the way in 30 years you'll find your ex life is better in your 50's that what you are now.

July 9, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Thomasina Aquinas

What the...???

This is a transcript from a video'd interview that is at least three, if not four months old. The only new content begins whenever the "author" (if you can call them that) talks about Lola's new clothing line in the fifth section.

I know it's just People, but...come on.....

July 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. portalpunk

Your commenters are the hypocrites, just because one person does it doesnt make it okay for their daughter to.

July 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tcaros

It's tough being a parent after acting like a tart for so long.

July 9, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mark R.

Madonna is a hypocrite and a fraud. When she was slinging her body around half-naked (and naked) and influencing millions of young women, that was OK. That was entertainment. But when it comes to her daughter, the proprieties and decencies need to be kept. I wish she’d have expressed that sort of moral commitment in regard to other people’s children rather than taking the tramp route for money and fame.

July 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Totally stupid remark – everyone is responsible for their own children. Not some rock star.

July 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheryl in TX

Amen, bad parenting corrupted those kids, not Madonna.

July 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Russ

I think Madonna is a hypocrite. she won't allow her daughter to do all the things that she did to all those teenage girls she corrupted back in the 80's and 90's.

she can't stop her forever. once she's 18 she's gonna see all of Madonna's nasty crap she did back in the day and she'll be questioning her mother as to her lewd and disgusting behaviour..

then she'll have to explain herself.

July 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. afb74

If I had a 13-year-old daughter, I, too, would be telling her to cover up more. It's not about "do as I say, not as I do", it's about having your child dress her age and act her age. None of us know Madonna, none of us grew up with her and none of us know what it's like to have her as a mother. I know a lot of you hate Madonna and will use every opportunity to spew your judgement on her, but did you ever stop to ask yourself why? And did you come up with a good reason? Probably not. Your energy is better spent hating on someone like Osama bin Laden than on Madonna.

July 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Craig

cant wait till she go wild.

July 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Michael

My god! She looks AMAZING for 51!

July 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mollie

People, Madonna's daughter is much younger than when we saw Madonna on the pop scene. Also, I think her daughter is pretty and will most likely grow up gorgeuous. Oh, and I'm not a fan of Madonna. But geez, I'm not a jerk about her like some people!

July 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John

And who is Lourdes Daddy and what was his relationship with her Mommy? Pleeeeeeezzzzee!

July 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JGG1

LOL-a stop hating. Geez. What Madonna did back in her day was incredible. It paved the way for all the female pop artists of today. Wheather you like her or agree with her or not she is an icon that set the bar. I think its great that a woman like that, who made a career of pushing the envelope as far as "schock and controversy" are concerned, to tell her daughter hey, what are you wearing. It shows that she is a mother, first and foremost. If she was truly a "retard" she wouldnt say nothing to her daughter. Its hollywood people. Shock and controversy sell, come on!

July 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  41. thegayblade

Let's not forget that Madonna did not have a mother figure as she matured into her teenage years. I applaud her for parenting her child appropriately and in no way do I think she's being a hypocrite. Don't mistake her business (song, dance, and style) as her morals.

July 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. pierce

Boy that Lourdes sure is ugly.

July 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

Ass.

July 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Take out the screen cleaner and clean your moniter. This young girl is a beautiful young lady. She has a gorgeous complexion, lovely hair, gorgeous eyes. She even had the same jaw lines and eye shape of her mother. Lovely young girl and Madonna, I'm sure, is very proud of her and rightfully so.

July 9, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

if that girl is ugly, then who exactly qualifies as pretty for you? she's gorgeous.

July 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monrocsol

Bend over and look at your hole, that is ugly.

July 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ron

nice roots, Madge.

July 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Chuck

Have you noticed that Madonna is aging quickly now. Or maybe she's less interested in botox, etc. A new era, I guess.

July 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

She looks fantastic for her age. I heard she's a workout freak. Good for her. If you think she looks 'old' or needs botox, then you must have just graduated from grammar school.

July 9, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Angel in CS, Tx

Madonna is a mom .... the only difference is that Madonna's past is blown all over the press and the internet. Us 'every day JoLenes" don't have our business plastered all over the kitty litter box; we get to keep our haunting past hidden. Kudos, Madonna, for stepping up to the plate and taking your parenting seriously. Just like everything else in your life (past or present) you don't seem to do anything half-way. Rearing children isn't any different for you. :-)

July 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. LOL-a

Sounds good for the media but Madonna's double standards WILL come back to haunt her or her daughter will completely turn on her and condemn who she's been. Either way, it's not going to be pretty for someone who has built their career on shock and controversy. The woman is a retard and feel sorry for her daughter.

July 9, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diver Down

Madonna – a retard? You must be on dope – or are a dope. This is a woman who stated when she was 19 years old that her dream was to rule the world. And in many ways, she did. The world followed her very calculated controversial moves and she took it all the the bank, one headline after another. She is a marketing genius...you retard.

July 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

While I have never been a fan of the style Madonna's music, I have to admit that she brilliant, not only musically, but also business wise. She's always been a smart businesswoman. And to look back at what she did when she was younger, it may have been outrageous at the time, but not today. Looks like Lady Gaga is now creating her own Madonna style of shock and awe.

July 9, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. joe SHmid

haha Madonna. reap what you've sewn.

July 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Joel

Man, lourdes is gonna be hot when she grows up.

July 9, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  49. butterfly

her daughter is gorgeous!

July 9, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. lbw

"Do as I say, not as I do" only works for so long.

July 9, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

It works as long as the child is living under your roof as far as I'm concerned!

July 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Alot of parents did things in their youth that wasn't cool. If they try to steer their kids to not make the same mistakes, that means they learned something. Madonna seems to be doing a wonderful job by balancing her decisions about her daughter, for example, by giving Lourdes some freedom to make her own decisions, and at the same time, setting some limits. It's a delicate balance for a parent to let their child make decisions and make them feel like they are growing into adulthood while at the same time keeping a protective eye over them. The importance of involved parenting in this country is grossly underrated.

July 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

This is an asinine comment. Any parent worth a damn is going to be a "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrite. I don't know about you, but when I look back on my younger days...even up until my mid-to-late 20's, there are a LOT of things I did that I hope my children don't do, and that I will tell them "Hey...don't do that". ESPECIALLY at age 13.

Judging by your comment, I'm guessing you're one of these new modern parents who lets their kid run buck-wild because you're more interested in them liking you than you are in reigning them in and trying to set them on the straight-and-narrow.

July 10, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  51. Karen

Oh please, she is being a mom. I'm 30 and my mother still tries to pull my top up. If she was letting her daughter run around in nothing, she'd be condemned too. At least she is paying attention.

July 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Guest

I think we should all be glad her mother is saying something, unlike Miley Cyrus' parents.

July 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Even though I'm not a big fan of Miley – she isn't 13; she lives on her own – big difference.

July 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. TadPole

Oh No, It's the return of the BROW..

July 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

I like the retro Madonna/Brooke Shields eyebrow look. Brows are good!

July 9, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • samantha

Disgraced bbc still desperately clinging on to
      their racial attack on Happy
      bbc a racist media
      Samantha

July 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  54. boocat

Madonna always dressed like a slag and then she has the nerve to tell her daughter not to.. She's a control freak. Sure as hell glad she's not my mother...I'd be embarassed.

July 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • jdoe

You'd be rich too

July 9, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Duh, it's her mother dumba$$. That's what mothers do.

July 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Madonna 'used' to dress provocatively. I guess you must be living in a time wrap because if you looked at images of Madonna taken during her real life time, you would notice that she dresses quite conservatively. How she dresses on stage is part of her act. Actually, it must be nice to have a mom who has the time to spend with you and who is financially secure. A lot of kids today don't even have that.

July 9, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monrocsol

You'd give anything to have a mother like her.

July 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

I totally agree with you!!! Madonna is a mother and she dresses provocatively even now, and she wants her daughter, who is much prettier than herself, to dress boringly!! Lourdes is a growing girl going through puberty so she will want to show off her lady bits (probably only a 32A/B or something like that) to impress the boys. Its only a bit of fun!! Madonna is a slag dressing like she did in her celebration video at her elderly age!!! Shame on her

July 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. huh

Perhaps Madonna's past and her image have caught up to her in the form of her daughter?

July 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Uh...who's Lola?

July 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janie

HAHA Monkey see monkey do

July 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monrocsol

Very pretty daughter. Looks like the mother.

July 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • samantha

Disgraced bbc still desperately clinging on to
      their racial attack on Happy
      BBC has shown the media world that it is a big racist media in the world.They are still desperately clinging on to their racial and human rights abuse of Happy.They say they are afraid that if they stop it could destroy the reputation of their racist media organisation.Why can't they confess to the public that they are great liars.
      Samantha