July 9th, 2010

Gwyneth Paltrow pens a cookbook

Oscar winner Gwyneth Paltrow is adding another title to her resume: cookbook author.

In May, the A-list actress will release "My Fathers Daughter," a collection of her favorite recipes as a sort of tribute to her late father, director Bruce Paltrow.

"I always feel closest to my father, who was the love of my life until his death in 2002, when I am in the kitchen," she said in the August issue of Vogue. "I can still hear him over my shoulder, heckling me, telling me to be careful with my knife, moaning with pleasure over a bite of something."

The GOOP queen, who is particularly fond of French fries and pizza, said that besides giving menu options, the book will impart lessons she learned from her dad. Among them: "Invest in what's real. Clean as you go. Drink while you cook. Make it fun. It doesn't have to be complicated," she says in a behind-the-scenes video from her Vogue shoot. "It will be what it will be."

Thirty-seven-year-old Paltrow, who has two children with Coldplay singer Chris Martin, 33, admits that she finds more fulfillment in puttering around the kitchen than working on a film set.

"I took a lot of time off to have children," she said in the behind-the-scenes clip, "and I really discovered another side to myself during those years when I was home with the kids and being very, very domestic, and it was a very important time for me and it really rounded me out as a human being."

In fact, the "Iron Man 2" star said she is much more comfortable place now than she's ever been. "My twenties were a great time in my life; I wouldn't change them for anything," Paltrow explained in the video.

"But in my thirties I feel like I really know who I am," she went on. "I feel like I've made huge mistakes, I've learned from them, I've had children, and I feel much more comfortable in my skin now at this age than I did in my twenties. They were fun, but I wouldn't go back there for anything."

1. FoxInFlats.com

I love Gwyneth.
    Except for the time she said she would “only eat chicken that has had a good life”.
    Emotionally fulfilled poultry? ha ha ha.
    Love this photo of her after a big night out with her girlfriends looking slightly hung-over, and more like one of us… http://bit.ly/eaRMRn

April 19, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. grofys

oh, a celebrity who can cook! now i can die happy!

July 12, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. teresa, ohio

while i wont pay for the book. i would like to take a peek and see if one can live off her recipes and not gain weight. Gwyneth is rail thin. Will I look like that after eating her recipes for my meals? ; )

I thought Gwyneth "took time off" because she was near breakdown not to have the children? I think she about went over the edge after baby 2? thats the word on the streets.

July 12, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. vuksanka

Another narcissistic "star" pens a book. Yawn.

July 11, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Suzi

Please, please, watch the punctuation. I hope that Gwenyth does not send her cookbook to print without making "My Father's Daughter" possessive case! But I am really keeping my fingers crossed that a writer/blogger from CNN didn't pound out this mechanical error!

July 11, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lori

How can someone that skinny who usually eats bland, macrobiotic crap write a cookbook?

July 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • NANCY MOSER

wHY DOES IT MATTER OR WHY ARE YOU CONCERNED ARE YOU FAT AND JEALOUS WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF

July 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • D39

Don't hate that she can afford to spend plenty of time working out. If you're a good enough actress to make good money from films, you too can afford a personal trainer to keep you working out hard 15-20 hours a week. You too will be able to eat whatever the heck you want and stay trim.

July 11, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • teresa, ohio

@ Lori: i wondered the same thing : )))

@D39: it's not that Gwyneth is such a great actress, silly: how do you think she got her foot in the door? without daddy's helpful hand in the biz, she would be nothing.

July 12, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

She is so pretty....

July 10, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. LenaLu

Gwyneth is not vegan; her husband Chris is. She likes vegan meals but also eats meat and dairy.

July 10, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. Marie_M

She's not vegan, or even vegetarian. Her website has lots of recipes of meat dishes, even a video of her deboning a chicken. I doubt the cookbook will be vegan.

July 10, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. veggiedude

She and her family are vegan, so I guess this cookbook is too. For that, I would be interested.

July 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. arch

I don't know how this is worth printing, but who cares! I am sure she has some recipes from her buddy Mario B. for her book. I love the part where she says, drink while you cook. Maybe that is why Daddy liked her cooking so much. They might have been all drunk while eating. I guess there are people out there that will go and buy her book because of who she is. Go for it. I think I will save my money for better things.

July 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sas

Sheesh! Do you just want to spew? Fine. But, realize that's what you are doing. I think her book will probably be a bit amusing, inspirational and hopefully, filled with some honest good easy family-oriented (as she is) recipes. She's not a chef so don't expect that kind of cookbook. She's an earnest actress with amazing talent who has other (culinary) interests. I think that's refreshing! If her cookbook sells, good for her! She's doing something meaningful and close to her heart. How is that a bad thing? How many of you all are doing that?!

October 31, 2010 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. s

Thank goodness it's not another actor/actress with a boring autobiography or work-out book.

July 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |