July 8th, 2010

'Modern Family' actors thrilled with Emmy nods

That’s because three out of the six actors nominated appear on the show: Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who portrays straight-laced attorney Mitchell Pritchett; Eric Stonestreet who appears as Pritchett’s always over the top partner Cameron Tucker; and Ty Burrell who stars as the lovably clueless dad, Phil Dunphy.

Stonestreet and Burrell spoke with CNN about how thrilled they each were for their first time nominations.

“Last night I was a nervous wreck so I tried to stay up as late as possible so I could sleep through the morning and not be up pacing,” Stonestreet said. “It’s an honor. I’ve been an actor for 14 years and have never been a part of anyone’s conversation about being nominated for an Emmy and I am just proud of all of our actors.”

“It feels like an incredible statement about the show,” Burrell said. “I feel so lucky to be experiencing this moment when so many facets of the show are being recognized and it’s going to be extraordinary to go back to work.”

“Modern Family” is also up best comedy as well as several other Emmy awards including directing, art direction and casting.

Neither Stonestreet or Burrell could bring themselves to watch the nomination ceremony live. So both were amused when they learned their co-star and fellow nominee with a nod for best supporting actress in a comedy, Sofia Vergara, struggled pronouncing a few of the names of the nominees as co-presenter of the ceremony.

Vergara’s real life Latin accent is often played for laughs as character Gloria Delgado Pritchett on the show.

“I can only imagine,” Stonestreet chuckled. “I’m going to have to go back and watch the video.”

Both actors also expressed disappointment that co-star Ed O’Neill was the only adult cast member of the ensemble not nominated. Julie Bowen, who portrays Claire Pritchett Dunphy received a nomination in the same category as Vergara.

Stonestreet said he believed had O’Neill been willing to pitch his hat in the ring as a potential nominee for best actor, things may have been different. “[O’Neill] wasn’t willing to go that route because he thinks of himself as part of an ensemble,” Stonestreet said.

Burrell said he hopes the lack of nomination actually leads to more recognition for O’Neill who portrays patriarch Jay Pritchett on the series.

“Him not being nominated is an opportunity to talk about him as the heart and soul of our show,” Burrell said. “From the beginning of the show he has been our core, both in setting a tone in terms of performance and the easy going working environment.”

1. Lisa

Modern Family is a favorite in our home. Excellent show!!!

July 10, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SaintPetersburg

I think Phil Dunphy is hilarious. The others not so much. If I was a producer I would ultimately focus on Phil's family, and his father in law's family...but not the gay couple, and I'm referring to them as that not because of any prejudice but because its the easiest way for me to communicate who I'm referring to(i dont even know their names...in fact I only know Burrell's character's name lol). But basically, keep anybody necessary for Phil Dunphy to play off, get rid of everybody else

July 10, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. michael

while this is a very good show, "modern family" owes EVERYTHING to fred goss' "sons and daughters" that was on in 2006. Modern Family is very very good, but "sons and daughters" was AMAZING.

Same directing style.. Similar "extended family" formula. Check out "sons and daughters" clips on youtube.

July 8, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary Ohio

They yanked my favorite, Arrested Development, but now I have Modern Family. Love this show–love it! Each character has such a strong personality. I try to tune in every week, and it's appropriate for my children! Such a great show. They deserve any award they can get!

July 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Profmox

Ed O'Neill is right. While each performance on Modern Family is Emmy-worthy, the show ultimately works because of the solid ensemble. It's time for Emmy to introduce a Best Ensemble category.

July 8, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Big Momma

All the shows on Wednesday night are hilarious...but MODERN FAMILY IS SOOOOOO DAMN FUNNY....I agree with Sheri...not since Will and Grace has a show made me laugh so hard...I love comedy and this show needs to stay on for a looonnnggg time. Congrats to all the nominees

July 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. herewego

Ed O'Neil is still shadowed by Al. However, I love Al Bundy; the greatest family man of all time. Love his wife and children to death!!!!!

July 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sheri

Not since Sean Hayes has someone made me laugh out loud every time he's in a scene. Eric Stonestreet is the best
    and he deserves an Emmy.

July 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tyrone Biggums

"The hit ABC comedy “Modern Family” has a 50-50 chance of scoring an Emmy for best supporting actor in a comedy series.
    That’s because three out of the six actors nominated appear on the show."

This is poor logic. This assumes every actor has an equal chance of winning. Anyone who follows awards shows this is not the case.

July 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marcia

Shifting away from the Emmy talk: What about those adorable twins who play "Lillie"? Oh my God. I could watch a sitcom with only "Lillie and "Cameron" (for me, that could stand all by itself). I love Eric Stonestreet's character. He plays it to a "t".

July 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Candice

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! This show is on from start to finish. The actors are great and the they mesh so well together. Ed O'Neill is a damn fine actor and he deserves to be recognized. Can't wait for next season. ABC got Wednesdays right this year. Keep up the good work.

July 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joanie

I LOVE this show – friends and family call from the east (seeing it before I do) each week saying "don't miss this one – it's the best ever!" – the fact that it's written so that they all obviously care about each other makes the barbs and sarcasm even funnier!

July 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kristen

I am so pleased that Modern Family is being recognized. I am not a big tv watcher but Wednesday nights are the night to watch. I haven't laughed this hard at TV since – I don't know when! Congratulations cast, writers, etc.!!

July 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

Ed, go for Lead Actor next year! I love this show and I hope it wins Best Comedy. I'm pulling for Stonestreet and Vergara. When he screamed SCORPIONS while running down the driveway dressed as a clown, I almost had to change my pants.

July 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Christopher

agree with MBB.

July 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. penny

Love Modern Family...best comedy on tv in so long...can't miss an episode...sure hope they take home a few Emmys....and congratulations to the nominees.

July 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Christopher

Couldn't agree more. Modern Family & Big bang theroy is really what sitcoms are all about.

July 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sutelc

This show is good but it's also the most overrated sitcom on TV. Everyone talks about it like it's the greatest thing ever when really it's just a little above average. A poor man's Arrested Development, IMO.

July 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MBB

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show! I haven't laughed so much since "Two and a Half Men!" I think this show is going to rank up there with TAAHM. Great premise, great writers, and amazing and gifted actors! When you start thinking that this is a real family, you know you have a hit! Ed O'Neill is amazing in this show, but being a well-known figure, maybe his lack of nomination has to do with that. He is an amazing talent, as they all are. Keep up the good work!

July 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brett

Modern family is the best comedy on TV...putting it in the same sentence as Two and a Half men is insulting.

July 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • shermon

I agree about Ed Oneill but really wish he was nominated...He is great and I still see Al Bundy when I watch this show.

July 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sarah

Love this show!! They deserve to win, its been a long time since there has been a good TV show on. I look forward to Wednesday nights, can't wait for the new season to start!

July 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jlcope

So glad to see this show get so many nominations. Modern Family and In The Middle put Wednesdays on the map as my favorite TV shows. I haven't laughed so much at television in a very long time. First Class comedy!

July 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • toomy

Agree!

loved the Middle episode with Betty White... the kids characters are getting more interesting... also like Sons of Tucson, like Ty Burrell, Tyler Labine has been on other shows (and films), and Til Death (had an off period but is hot again)...

July 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. darlene d

I also love that show! Its refreshing to watch one of the best comedy shows on tv today!! I sure hope they win in every category!!

July 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ash

I'm just glad that Ty Burrell is finally being noticed! I've seen him in a lot of different shows/films, and I always felt he deserved more recognition. Glad to see he finally has it :)

July 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. justic

very good, hope they win. this is a good show, this one and in the middle make my wednesdays

July 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JoJo

I was so excited to see nominations for this show. It keeps me laughing nonstop. The writing is hysterical and the comedic timing is on-point. I was especially thrilled to see a nomination for Sofia Vergara.

July 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cassy

Love this show! I hope they win!! *crosses fingers*

July 8, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jessica

David – thanks for the sick image. While im sure you're probably right, I dont grasp the need to share that info.

That said, I am super excited for Modern Family and Glee! The writing and acting on these shows is refreshing, amazing and hilarious! I hope Jane Lynch has gotten a nod, havent seen anything about it yet!

July 8, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. jjdecor

I hope they win, Modern Family is the only half hour comedy show I've watched in over 10 yrs because it is a riot! Great acting, great writing, it's a winner.

July 8, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • JoJo

I agree. I haven't watched a comedy since Friends went off the air. Most of the shows today just can't seem to get it right.

July 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

I wish they all could win it. This show is the best comedy in years and one I would never miss. The actors are great and the writers genius. I hope they don't mess up the second year like a lot of shows do (Heros).

July 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Stephen

I hope they win. I love 30 rock, but this show just beat it, for me.

July 8, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • TX1962

Modern Family is the best comedy on TV today! All the actors are fantastic & the only comedy I tape on my DVR, so I don't miss... Congrat's to everyone on the show!!!

July 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

I agree! Modern Family is a very well written show with a very talented cast!

July 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |