July 8th, 2010

'Burn Notice' finally gets an Emmy nod with Sharon Gless

Despite being cable’s most watched show, USA’s “Burn Notice” had yet to pick up an Emmy nomination. So after four years as Madeline Westen, Sharon Gless – who was last nominated in 2008 for her guest appearance on “Nip/Tuck” - had just about given up on the idea.

“Usually by the fourth year, when no one’s recognized you, you just think, ‘OK, we’re not their cup of tea.’ But they proved us wrong today,” she said.

Gless – who received a nod for outstanding supporting actress in a drama series – garnered two Emmys for her role as Christine Cagney on “Cagney & Lacey” in the 1980s, in addition to being nominated a total of 10 times. But, she said, it never gets old.

"It's been a long time between drinks," she said.

In fact, she was so excited after hearing the news that when she greeted a cleaning crew downstairs at her Toronto, Ontario, apartment Thursday morning, she said, “I’m Sharon and I just got nominated for an Emmy.”

“It’s such an honor to be acknowledged by the people who do what you do,” Gless said. “At my age, being a woman who’s still allowed to work in this business – I’m 67 – [is] a little dicey. I know I could be the mother or grandmother to all the other nominees.”

Gless is in the company of “Mad Men” actresses Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss, “The Good Wife’s” Christine Baranski and Archie Panjabi, as well as "Damages" actress Rose Byrne.

“What a heady group I’m in,” Gless said.

And while she’s so grateful for her nomination, Gless is especially excited that “Burn Notice” is finally receiving the recognition it deserves.

“The show itself being nominated is long overdo,” she said. “I’m hoping this nod toward me will open the show up to everyone … I support the most amazing group of actors … I’m accepting the nomination on behalf of all of us.”

Post by:
Filed under: Emmys

1. Kiyoko Mills

Would you go for a diaper bag with a shoulder strap or one in backpack design? A lot of the designs that are coming out in the market are in backpack design which is more convenient for any parent. With a backpack diaper bag, you have both hands free to take care of your baby and carry other stuff.,.

Stay in touch
    <http://foodsupplementdigest.com

May 2, 2013 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. glulp

buy a coach french cheapest coach for more detail coach new arrivals for more detail

October 16, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Abumb

you love this? coach fall 2010 coach fall 2011 with confident coach fall 2010 for promotion code

October 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jeataseason

I am sure you will love luxury diaper bag , just clicks away designer diaper bags on sale with low price

August 17, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. inambman

get cheap gucci sale to take huge discount , just clicks away

August 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nikki Nickell

I cannot believe the nominators of Emmys. How could they possibly overlook the acting abilities of Jeffery Donovan, Gabriel Anwar and Bruce Campbell in Burn Notice. Thank goodness, Sharon Gless got a nod [just for her sly tongue in cheek she should have won!].

Nikki

August 30, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cal

Sharon Gless is tremendous in Burn Notice. Not only should she have been nominated before now, but she should have won before now for her role in the show. I love her in this show! Now maybe they will nominate Gabriel Anwar.

August 22, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chris

It's about time this show was noticed. It's better than any show on the major networks. Michael Weston would kick Jack Bauer and Chuck Norris' butts simultaneously.

July 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kelly

Sharon is brilliant, Jeffrey Donovan is brilliant, and so is this show. The fact that people are willing to keep tuning into a show that only runs 40 minutes, the remaining time bloated with commercials, is amazing in itself. Imagine what the writers could do if they were given the same air time as the network shows. USA is cheap and will milk this cash cow to the end. Unfortunately, I will be here to witness the sad end. I can't help myself. It's that good.

July 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Colleen

I'm a "latecomer" to BN but began watching when I heard that Sharon was one of the stars. By the time I came to the end of the Pilot (in a marathon in Jan of 2010!) I was hooked and it has become my very favorite show! I have all 3 seasons on DVD and all of the 4th so far on the DVR (2 DVRs, actually, but don't tell my husband!). It is gracious of Sharon to accept the nomination on behalf of all 4 stars because they all do a great job!! Always entertaining and never fails to surprise with a plot twist here and there. Just the best!

July 13, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mark Fielder

I think she does a wonderful job on the burn notice show as many women can associate and understand the predicaments she gets into. She performs amazingly and I wish the greatest of success and the show burn notice also! Keep up the more than excellant work. Very Respectively, Mark Fielder

July 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

I love Burn Notice. Thankfully I have been watching it since the beginning. The writers do a great job with the storylines and the camaraderie with all of the characters. Definately overdue for Sharon. She is great!

July 9, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mary Ann

Burn Notice is a great show,all the actors do a wonderful job.

July 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. N.

@Karendipitee, no one pays attention to the Schmemmys

July 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

@N: Yes they do. You're just too ignorant to understand. Go back to playing with your Xbox and let the grownups talk.

July 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rivirivi

I WANT TO BE AN ACTOR IN BURN NOTICE TOO! :)

July 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Karendipitee

This is Burn Notice's first acting nomination, but it was nominated for Emmys for sound mixing in 2008 and stunt coordination in 2009.

July 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeoman Johnson

So in other words, they hadn't been nominated for an Emmy until now.

July 26, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  17. Nikki

Actually Archie Panjabi is in TGW not Damages.

"Gless is in the company of “Mad Men” actresses Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss, “The Good Wife’s” Christine Baranski and "Damages" actresses Archie Panjabi and Rose Byrne."

July 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jim

it's about time... i like this show and think it is well written http://bit.ly/WatchBurnNotice

July 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |