July 7th, 2010

Women of 'The Daily Show': Jon Stewart isn't sexist

Things have suddenly turned serious at "The Daily Show."

Following a recent report that the popular Comedy Central series and its host, Jon Stewart, are sexist, female staff members are fighting back.

More than 30 women at the satirical news program - including new correspondent Olivia Munn - signed off on an open letter on the show's website.

"While rampant sexism at a well-respected show makes for a great story, we want to make something very clear: the place you may have read about is not our office," the letter reads. "In fact," it continues, "just like the men here, we're indispensable."

Women account for 40 percent of the staff, according to the letter, and they aren't "all shoved into the party-planning department (although we do run that, and we throw some kick-ass parties)." In reality, they're employed in a variety of roles, working as accountants, producers, researchers, talent coordinators, writers and correspondents.

While the women admit their jobs are challenging, they wouldn't have it any other way. "Why have we stayed for two, five, ten, fourteen years? Because it's challenging."

It probably also doesn't hurt to have 47-year-old Stewart - described in the letter as the opposite of sexist - for a boss.

"He can be quite charming," the letter explains. "He's also generous, humble, genuine, compassionate, fair, supportive, exacting, stubborn, goofy, hands-on, driven, occasionally infuriating, ethical, down-to-earth and - a lot of people don't know this - surprisingly funny."

Ultimately, the women say, "when it comes down to it, 'The Daily Show' isn't a boy's club or a girl's club, it's a family - a highly functioning if sometimes dysfunctional family.

Next entry »
  1. 2am

November 3, 2013 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bimbo

2am

November 3, 2013 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. cv maken

Are you looking for the best site also see our site.

November 3, 2013 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. speed detector

You know therefore considerably in the case of this matter, made me in my view believe it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women are not fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. At all times care for it up!

August 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. حجز دومين

Tremendous things here. I am very glad to look your article. Thank you a lot and I'm taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

August 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DallasMarine

Jon Stewart, the last man left in the media to have a backbone and brain.

July 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel Troppy

It does kinda sound like maybe Palin planted that seed, she's certainly capable of such deception – just look at how many she's already fooled.....

July 8, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Judy

I am a secretary in the Political Science program at a medium size state university. I can keep up with the professors in just about any conversation. It might be the funniest show but it also has great insight. Jon Stewart and his staff are great.

July 8, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Max

This is a typical Rovian smear campaign. Jon is hitting too close to the kibbies and they will do anything to discredit him.

July 8, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jon Stewart's attorney

My client would like to object to the use of the phrase 'hands-on'.

July 8, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tim

John Stewart for President!

July 8, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. PCN2485

Wonderful all you idiots getting your news from a comedian. No wonder we're stuck with an empty suit for a President.

July 8, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Almes

Well, what did we expect, liberals are not tolerant.

July 8, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Justin Cuffley

As a man, a gay man nonetheless, when are we going to see a female host to "The Daily Show"? I mean, yes, "The Daily Show" & Jon Stewart do an excellent job of reporting news with a satirical slant, but this isn't "The Tonight Show," and Jon Stewart isn't Jonny Carson. So, how about Jon passing the torch to a woman? My bid is for Tina Fey. You ALL know, whether you agree w/ me or not, that Ms. Fey would turn that show OUT. TINA FEY FOR "TDS" HOST!!! Still love you, though, Jon.

July 8, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • TWB

That's all well and good, but I don't think we should oust Stewart just because he's a man. Tina Fey is hilarious but I'm not sure if her style would be as good a fit as Stewart's. If eventually Stewart leaves TDS, it'd be nice to see a woman in there.

July 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HG

I can't beleive stewart actually had to defend himself against such a stupid allegation. This such a reflection of the obnoxious nature of modern day gender-politcal feud women insist on fighting. It's getting to the point where it's poltically incorrect for men to take the lead anywhere anytime anymore.

Yeah so what if more men watch this show and there haven't been that many female correspondents???!! Do shows that cater to women or have predomeintaly female staffs get this kind of criticism? The Daily Show is a poltical humor show, not a celebrity gossip show, of course it leans male. And it does so naturally, not out of discrimintation.

July 8, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bill Kilpatrick

All through the big late-night fiasco involving Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and David Letterman, I couldn't help but realize that the funniest guy on TV was on Comedy Central. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart simply blows these others away.

July 8, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  17. Eddie Mu

As far as TV shows go, Jon puts the "A" in Awesome! Keep up the great job Mr Stewart!

July 8, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. Luis Melendez

My hat off to you Mr. Stewart.

July 7, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joe

I absolutely love TDS, Jon has an incredible staff and he has perfect delivery. I loved the segment on Energy Independence being touted by the last 8 Presidents! How they can find these gems and put them together for our entertainment (and education) is amazing. I hope he's around for a long, long time. Thank you Jon !

July 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Laura

A few weeks ago, along with my husband and two friends of ours, we saw a taping of the Daily Show. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to score tickets...DO IT. It was the most fun, and I was truly impressed by the staff. They had women handing us water while waiting in line (it was hot, but not as ungodly hot as it is the last few days). They informed us of the procedure of getting inside, going through security, getting into the studio, turning off cell phones and other important details. I have a cane due to a pinched nerve, and one of them asked if I wanted a chair while waiting in line outside. I declined but was still impressed at the offer. Jon seemed very charming, funny, witty and actually quite sweet. He asked if anybody had questions, answered what was asked with his incredible wit and humor. I would love to go back again. It was fascinating to see what goes on to put on such an incredible show, and the teamwork of the men and women is amazing. I don't care what some bitter ex-employee claims, I have no reason to think Jon and the rest of the crew are anything but professional, funny, hardworking professionals. Keep up the good work!!

July 7, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Boolsht

Munn was hired for the geek fanboy demo after the iPhone prototype thing were Stewart sort of sided with geeks. It's business, its entertainment industry bool.

July 7, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jakedog

Stewart is no different than any of the other loudmouths caterwauling about stuff they don't know anything about.

Long may they yell.

July 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jimbo

Jezebel must be PMS-ing...

July 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. JoePub

Jon Stewart is funny, wise and talented, but I am starting to fear this next generation coming in stating that this is their only source of news! That's unsettling to say the least.

July 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tony in Phoenix

There are some who will discount Jon Stewart as JUST a comedian. They will point out that it is not the REAL news show.

Stewart is part of a long and grand American tradition of political satire. Someone who can make us laugh and think at the same time. Someone with the talent to skewer the bombastic buffoons so full of hot air.

I put Stewart in the same category as Thomas Nast, Will Rodgers and Johnny Carson.

July 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mark

Marry me Olivia Munn!
    Oh, did I say that out loud?

July 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ricepice

I am willing to fight ANYONE who disparages the lovely Olivia Munn.

July 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ronnie Harper

It's almost inconceivable to me that Jon Stewart is practicing misogyny in the workplace. What's more likely is a right-wing smear campaign, because Jon Stewart is one of the most intelligent and insightful political pundits ever. His show is absolute genius. Right or left, every American can get a solid dose of reality (and levity in our polarized political climate) catching a few episodes each week.

July 7, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sri

isn't his name Jon Liebovitz or some thing like that? just let him have the courage to do the show with his real name before he picks on others

July 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Unimpressed

Come on CNN, I know this is a "CNN Blog Post", but do a little leg work and talk to some current women employees off the record! You posted this to cnn.com so I expected a news story, not a rehash of what's posted all over the Internet. I'm a fan of Stewart and I tend to doubt the allegations but I'd like to see a researched article that backed him up.

July 7, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jj

I've always suspected that they keep Samantha Bee around because she's always 'available'... (haha)

July 7, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. overhaul38

When are the media donkeys going to stop chasing "RECENT REPORTS"? What became of verifying the facts before publishing a story? Today they publish a rumor from any crackpot, the more scandalous the better, and then make the subject prove their innocence.

July 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. gurlygirl

I would so love to ditch my current job and work in any effect on the Daily show or the Colbert report. These are two shows that would not miss for anything.
    I wish the collective creative energies that they need to put out shows like that day in and day out could be bottled and sold. I love their ability to laugh at themselves and never take themselves too seriously.
    Now, only if Glenn beck ,RL and the tea Party movement can do that..............

July 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. V Saxena

I enjoy the Daily Show. It doesn't always illicit an LOL from me - sometimes I just scratch my head in utter confusion - but it's overall pretty witty (that rhymed) and quite insightful.

Unfortunately it airs at the same time as the Mo'Nique Show (sighs), so I've had to sacrifice my sweet and intimate relationship with Mo'Nique in favor of a scratch-me-balls and watch-football-together friendship with Jon. It's not a REAL friendship, per se, but it's enough to fulfill my schizophrenic desire for companionship. God Bless you, Jon! I'll be planted in front of my TV tonight with my friendship bracelet on; I hope you'll have yours on too! (j/k – I'm drowsy from drinking Mountain Due and therefore incapable of writing something that makes sense, let alone is funny or even slightly meaningful)

PS – I believe everything Olivia Munn says (she is my Amazonian Goddess; I sacrifice goats in her name), so to hell with the infidel Jezebel!

July 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Mike in NJ

Great support for TDS and Jon – one of the few actual reporters of news out there. Makes a great foil to CNN, unless CNN steps in it, which happens occasionally. ;)

July 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. PaulC

I'm sure a lot of the right wing cons. were salivating at the thought of a scandal and I am happy the were disappointed.

July 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sparky T

I am a feminist and love Jon Stewart. He is an incredibly intelligent, enthusiastic, insightful, funny and self deprecating thinker. What a combination! I have told my husband of 37 years that if I ever leave him for another man it will be Jon Stewart. I just wish Jon would stop using p****y as a way of putting people down. It seems like a covert way of putting women down.

July 7, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Hemanth

Jon is one of the best hosts that we have in the business today. His wit is intelligent and despite a comic overlay to his comments, he reveals a very deep understanding of the political processes and machinations.
    More power to the likes of Jon Stewart!!!!!!!!!

July 7, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Andrew

Jon Stewart is the man. I love his brain.

July 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. daryl

sounds like the right wing spin machine swung and missed on this one... What's a matter righties getting desperate

July 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. JPT

Probably threatened to grope all of the women if they didn't sign the letter.

July 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

because that would work, no way that would get leaked, join us on the planet when you get a chance

July 7, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. heynow

John Stewart is the Bob Saget of cable – he loves laughing at his own jokes. This guy sux

July 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO

wow you must not know what funny is... The Daily Show is one of th ebest things to ever happen to tv and politics

July 7, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

now THAT is a minority opinion, your almost alone on that one bud, and bob saget, really?

July 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

the guy from Fox News speaks...

July 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Claude in San Jose

I have no problem with female comedians but listening to Samantha B is like listening to nails on a chalkboard.

July 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

sam B is hot!!!! don't understand what she sees in that hubby tho, sam next time you guys are on break......

July 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Simple Question

Who would you want your treating a loved one in a time of need?

Beck
    Hannity
    Limbaugh
    Stewart

Tells alot about a man to not only be fearless at times but have compassion, feelings, and heart. There are a few on that list that care only about money, power, and mind fking Americans...and you have one guy who is a down to earth real guy that calls it how it is vs. how the audience expects it to be called.

July 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. PiercedPsycho

I've been watching Jon Stewart since I was 14, and he (and Stephen Colbert, of course) have got to be the only people I trust to provide me the news. I plan on reading America the Book with my daughter when she's older, along with Stephen Colbert's book. I am constantly impressed by the great level of respect he shows for every guest, regardless of said guest's own ideology. He is truly a man apart.

July 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Brandon

I love you Olivia Munn!!!! and Jon Stewart alright him self.

July 7, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. J.

Ahh Melissa, but Fox has poked holes in Stewart's stories too. Don't be such a sheep.

July 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Peter

TDS's take on Fox News is the best part of my week. I wish they could do it every night. The stupidity of the anchors on Fox News is beyond belief. The best was last week when the woman anchor tried to compare the President's daily decision making with her daily decision making on Fox News....and she said it all with a straight face. Keep up the good work Jon and team.

July 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. eegur beevur

during the dark days of the bush/cheney/ashcroft/rumsfeld/rove theocracy, jon stewart was one of the few shining lights of rationalism. jon, i respect you, and more power to you!

July 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  50. The Truth

I think the real reason is that as comedians women just aren't funny. Sure there are a few exceptions but I think the viewers prove it.

July 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

women are funny, I laugh at them all the time....... kidding, no, no, ouch, uuuhhhnnnnn

July 7, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Don't Get it

Conversatives simply do not understand how it is possible to think for yourself and not follow party lines and rhetoric for fear of losing an election. Give them credit...conservatives will sink with the ship before ever saying Beck, Hannity, Rush, or any of the politicians are ever out of line...and you wonder why they do not have control of any major branch of government.

At what point do you start thinking for yourselves and not following every single thing that the Fox new entertainers push down your throats. If you think Stewart is a Liberal..and a liberal only you are obviously insane. He would vote for the best candidate which is what we are all SUPPOSED TO DO vs. play I am on this "team" ..I am on that "team"

None of us our on any team morons. Politicians, all of them, care about their own power, wealth, and careers before the people. For anyone to identify with a politician that would not even sit with you or your family at dinner because you are not good enough is the very definition of "insanity" Hopefully, the next generation actually have brains and can think on their own because the 30-60 age group is absolutely miserable at being anything but followers!

And you wonder why leadership is lacking...we have no leaders in our population. People that follow Rush are leaders...lol..in their own mind they are...strange but true.

July 7, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

I agree. If we didn't have Political parties people would vote for the best canidate and not vote based soley on there political party of choice. People now just seem to party's out on there bs. While I do believe he picks onvote for whatever color there are used to voting for. I think Jon calls all conservatives more. I think that's just because they are easier to joke about. This country really need honest leaders who are less concerned about there own paychecks and more worried about the well being of American citizans.

July 7, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

Sorry Major typo. Sentence three, four, and five are supposed to say. People now just seem to vote for whatever color there are used to voting for. . While I do believe he picks on conservatives more.

July 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JohnM

I meet Jon years ago when I was working my way through school at a B&B in Macon. I carried his luggage. He was very nice, tipped well, and - funny.

July 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Art Ghecko

The Daily Show is more credible than most news outlets. In particular, I love it when Jon Stewart shows actual clips from Fox "news" that show how "Fair and Balanced" they are NOT!!! The Daily Show ma not be a real news program, but the are head and shoulders above Fox news!

July 7, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Hrmm

I guess if you do not say absolutely ridiculous, crazy, and hateful things at every turn you are a die hard Liberal.

I have seen him blast Liberals as much as Conservatives. The hate, Beck, Hannity...of course Stewart hates those people...so does everyone that is not some conservative blow hard. Because he points out their hypocrisy which is so rampant does not make him a bleeding liberal. IT makes him a man living in the real world...shaking his head hearing non-sense from both sides of the aisle. If you think he is a liberal maybe you should check his show out and not get mad when he points out the hypocrisy you call truth...he has no major agenda other than entertain his audience and keep some sanity in the crazy world of politics.

July 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  55. AV

This shouldn't even be an issue. That 'report' on Jezebel is the journalistic equivalent to a bunch of ugly chicks complaining about men and eating ice cream while blogging.

July 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Tommy Uberson

Ok, my name is Tommy Uberson and I do not doody in my pance, no matter what the opposition says I am not a pance doodier. Thank you for your support.

July 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jon Stewart

And when I say I love you Blair...

July 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  58. SCott

Smartest man on tv.

July 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Ed - Rochester, NY

Jon rocks! No one shines a light on hypocrisy like Jon Stewart. I never miss a show.

July 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mike

What most of his critics don't seem to get is that both Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert exploit the notion (very well) that "truth is stranger than fiction". Yes it's comedy but they do speak the truth ultimately. All one has to do is look at the quality and variety of guests they have on all the time to understand that even the news industry respects these shows. Compare their credibility to say Glenn Beck and O'Reilly and you can see there is a very real difference between thoughtful sometimes biting humor versus slobbering baboonism appealing to the gullible fears of the extreme right!

July 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Andria101

I admire John Stewart for reading the news and interpreting it for a humorous audience. He is very down to earth, very intellectual and frankly these women without him would not have a job, or time to complain about how important they are. They are lucky to be with a man of such power. Anybody can plan a party.

July 7, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mitra

As I always said , Jon is right when he says .... CNN , FOX NEWS and all idiots ... Go F**** yourself! This show is damn funny , Jon is brilliant and as a proud member of this nation ,,,, I think his writers are doing an amazing job!

July 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

definitely a consistently funny comedy show with a brilliant host...but damn Mitra, stalk much? How many TPOs have been slapped on your weird a$$?

July 7, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  63. gb0423

You get a more honest view of what is happening in the world in the first segment of the Daily Show than you do by watching hours of any of news program or channel (FOX, MSNBC, CNN etc.)....John Stewart is one of the few honest voices in the news/media/entertainment....and yes FOX, MSNBC, CNN are all in the entertainment business...not much journalism happens on any of those networks....they pander/appeal to a target audience just like anything else on TV

July 7, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. lance corporal

to the republican haters posting, the most glaring thing to me is stewart accepts the radical right and republicans on his show, allows them to push their books and such and even when disagreeing with them treats them with respect and kindness while you supposed "family values" "real traditional american" types are horrible to those you disagree with, my grandmother would never have treated anyone like that so i don't know where you learned your "traditional" american values and manners but obviously jon stewart learned them from a much better america than you did

July 7, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mayannchang

Love your comment. It could not be more spot on. You clearly were raised by someone other than wolves as well. How very refreshing!!!

July 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claude in San Jose

Here, here! Well said.

July 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bellycat

Eloquent to the end, sir well said.

July 7, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. stewartfan

i love the daily show, but my friends and i have been saying for years that they do, indeed, need more women on the show.

July 7, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Basir

Not that I care either way, because you should like entertainer for their work not necessarily their private life or their morals.. but the comments here are teeming with immaturity:

we like a show and make the botched assumption that the host also has to be a great, upright person.. that's funny (and somewhat scary)

July 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedomics

During Jon's guest interview segment, he frequently airs his personal beliefs and opinions. It's clear that during these interviews, what he says is what he believes. That part of his show is not an act.

July 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basir

@Freedomics – yeah but so did michael jackson and bill clinton. it is also very doubtful (based off the comments here) that most people who like him have been able to mentally detangle a celebrity from a person.

July 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Frank

Uh thanks Lynn, I'm actually a libertarian. What are you, frigid or jsut naive?

July 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erick (the hardworking educated moderate)

Frank, it seems you should worry less about Jon Stewart getting a real job and worry more about proofreading. I sincerely hope you do not have a "real" job in publishing.

July 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erick (the hardworking educated moderate)

Boom. Roasted.

July 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

wow a right winger who's obnoxious and has poor english skills now that's a surprise

July 7, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. San Jose, CA

I've been a long time viewer of The Daily Show, and now The Colbert Report. I absolutely love both of them and watch them before I go to bed each night. I think it's quite funny that JS is being accused of this because some of his FOX counterparts have been accused of the same. Maybe his writers came up with it?? Can't wait to see the show tonight...

July 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Lynn

Let's face it - this is a Republican smear, no doubt about it. They absolutely hate the fact that the Daily Show shows how idiotic they are on a daily basis (and they show how idiotic a lot of Dems are too). I can't live without my Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert fix which allows me to laugh at the insanity of politics today instead of crying, as I feel the need to do on a regular basis. Thank you Jon - keep up the great work - we women love you!

July 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basir

July 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Frank

Sorry to ruin the lovefest but I find Jon to be a bit amrmy at times and borderline funny at best. Seems like a far left guy at times and will do anything for laughs, at anyone's expense. Needa a real job, as do most here no doubt.

July 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

don't be sorry, you have ruined nothing, no one here really cares what you faux news types think, so enjoy your snarkiness and snide assumptions about people you know nothing about it's all you have

July 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Man, your post is a bit amrmy too. Wow. Have a niec dya?

July 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Tenoh

No American TV here so p2p is the only way for many of others to watch in EU.Love DS. Jon Stewart has an ability to nail the truth head on and with humor too! So why wont he run for president? lol Well if we cant have Hogan in the office... Keep it up DS crew!

July 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

one step at a time, a half black president is one thing but a jew??? baby steps my friend baby steps, besides if we where going to elect a funny jew we would elect lewis black, his temperament more suits the american voter

July 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  72. lance corporal

and of the men on TV how many are ugly?? it seems that being at least minimally attractive is a requirement for any on screen job, what about all the beefcake on soap operas walking around with no shirts? I agree comedy is a bit male dominated but I think that is changing and there are some natural barriers, comedy is frequently gender and se xually based and it is frequently cutting, so it may be hard for women to break in and it may be hard for men to be free with women in the room, I think it is and will continue to open up tho and I doubt very seriously that stewart himself is se xist

July 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  73. TXJonFan

The Daily Show doesn't claim to be a "News" program. They are calling out hypocrisy in the Mainstream media as well as political figures. The fact that there is as much news content in The Daily Show as other outlets shows how badly real journalists are failing to do their actual stated jobs.

July 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basir

Not even close to the truth. Daily show IS mainstream media. Daily show is a political show wrapped around comedy. If it were a real comedy show it would not so obviously ignore one side most of the time. Comedians don't care who they are throwing jabs at it shows in their work. i.e. real honest comedians..

July 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  74. garc

Odd that the following would be censored, since I edited the naughty bits. Once again: I like the Stewart show but can't work out why he's got to constantly say everyone who's gutless/stupid is a "p***y" or a "d*****bag." If female anatomy is so incredibly terrible, why are straight guys always trying to crawl back into it?

July 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Igor

Jon, you DA MAN!!!!!!! Easily, the funniest and BEST show on television!!!!

July 7, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. laurel

And his mother should be proud!! Look at all these accolades, not only the support from his own staff but the public who watches and adores him. I love Jon.

July 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  77. hippiechick

I have been a huge Daily Show fan from the beginning. I would have been absolutely crushed, had these reports been true. LOVE YOU JON!!! I go to bed with you every night.....with a big smile on my face! :) Thanks for such a great show and being a good guy!

July 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Rachael

You can't get your news only from Jon And Colbert. They have publicly stated that you have to have some idea of the current events to understand there jokes. Most people browse though the media stations then watch Jon Stewart to make more sense of it all. And to laugh at it. But it is educational because he has had some very respectable guests. Bill Clinton and Al Gore have bith been on.

July 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jeff S

Old Guy, its not on that late, and if you're that old, you're probably retired! Change that sleep schedule brother!

July 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  80. monique

I watch Jon every night and then catch it in reruns the next day. What on earth is wrong with getting the news AND enjoying it?? He may lean a tiny bit to the left :-) but he doesn't let anyone off the hook when they screw up, whether republican or democrat and even in jest, he is much more informed than most of our (FOX) news....

July 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Old Guy

I wish I wasn't so old that I can't stay up and watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report anymore. :*(

July 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mookie

TiVo my friend!! I like to savor my Daily Show and Colbert Report and zip through the commercials. Then there are the LMAO parts that I have to "rewind" and watch again and wake my husband up to come in and watch...call friends and annoyingly make them watch via Skype etc.

July 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mayo

Re-aires at 7:00pm next day :) Enjoy! Love you Jon. Best thing to happen to the news since the printing press.

July 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

I'm frequently "busy" around 11pm so i catch it the next day, it is on at 1 and 7 in my market, c'mon pops get with the program ;-)

July 7, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachael

Watch on the websites after the show:)

July 7, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Mike

Olivia...I want to volunteer for the Party Planning Committee. I realize I have to work my way up. I'm willing to prepare all the vege and fruit dips and head up the cleaning detail :) Love the integrity that your cast presents to us! Please forward this to HR and I'll throw in a year of housecleaning free of charge!

July 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Danners

I don't think they could have stated how they feel any better.

July 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Stephen C

A lot of people here "love" Jon Stewart, apparently, but I'm in love with him. So please, everyone, back off of my man! ::kisses ceiling poster of Jon Stewart::

July 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  85. JON HARRIS

Long live Jon Stewart. Long live the King.p.s. I'm named Jon,jewish and not overly tall as well. Plus I'm hysterical.

July 7, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Karen

Why would anyone badmouth my boy? Love you Jon!

July 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ted

if Olivia Munn says that Jon Stewart is OK, then that's enough for me.

July 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. annette

According to a study published in The Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media in 2007 ("No joke: a comparison of substance in The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and broadcast network television coverage of the 2004 presidential election campaign." Julia Fox, Glory Kohleon and Volkan Sahin) the "official" news programs did not have significantly more news than did The Daily Show. Since Jon Stewart recognizes his show as "comedy", it shows how little news we get from "The News".

July 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malcolm Kass

Well, you should be a bit more analytical about that report. It doesn't take into account depth, balance, etc. Listen, he is funny, I get that, but just mentioning a topic isn't the same as news.

Listen, news sucks, I know, but to think that the Daily Show is a trusted, insightful source, as I believe alot really do, is crackpot.

July 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  89. mike

While I find them funny, if you rely on only comedians to deliver your news, you are part of the problem in America. What is happening here is no laughing matter.

July 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • HiTension

No, Mike, part of the problem in America is that this comedian delivers the news more accurately and fairly than actual "trusted" news sources.

July 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Igor

Sure mike, liberals are taking over your country and riding their bikes on your lawn. Dogs and cats living together out of wedlock. It's the end times for sure.

July 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

@HiTension You're assertion that you believe that scares the hell out me.

July 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

@HiTension No Hi Tension, the problem is people who get their news from Jon Stewart. You're assertion scares the hell out of me.

July 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freedomics

Mike,

The only way you will truly enjoy the satire and wit of Stewart/Colbert is if you are already media savvy and up-to-date with current events. Much of their material would be meaningless if you didn't already know the back story.

July 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

wait a minute..... are you saying that FOX news is NOT a comedy show??? that is the only way it makes sense, I mean they CAN'T be serious, some of the sh-t they say is just sooooooo out there it has to be like a colbert thing, I thought they where just really good actors to be saying the stuff they do with a straight face and most of it is just so obviously made up and when not it is so ridicuosly exagerated, please tell me they aren't serious!!! glenn beck is one continuos sight gag right?? c'om it HAS to be comedy, I refuse to believe ANYONE in america is really THAT STOOOOOPID

July 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • HiTension

Joe: I watch/read a lot of news, all kinds of stations/papers, and Jon Stewart gets it right just about all of the time. And he gets it right without the political party spin that other news stations adhere to. Yes, he's a comedian but he's also extremely smart. You don't get to interview the political powerhouses that he does without having your crap together. If you're not up on current policies then you won't get the Daily Show anyway, so to watch it as your ONLY news source doesn't make any sense. But Stewart calls it as it is, and a lot of people don't like that – doesn't fit into the view of things as they like to see it.

Glad I could scare a little hell out of you today. I'm off now to hopefully strike fear into the hearts of others.... wish me luck. :o)

July 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Buster Bloodvessel

I heard about this at the "Fire Dave" rally.

July 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  91. cmc

Mike-Holland,MI – do you cry along with Glenn Beck? The Daily Show doesn't play favorites – all idiots, Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, are fair game. That's why I watch. And, it doesn't dumb anything down. You actually have to have more than an 8th grade education to be able to understand it.

July 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jack

Mike from MI is one of those deluded people I was referring to in my previous comment...one of the Fox News watching dolts.

July 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Jack

I'm a little concerned about all these posts from people who refer to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show as "their trusted news source", or "the place they go to get news". To me, that makes you no better than the dolts who watch Fox News programming and insist that it presents "fair and balanced" news coverage. Stewart himself, when he took on Tucker Carlson on CNN's "Crossfire" several years ago, referred to TDS as a comedy show. Anyone who considers The Daily Show to be a viable source of news is as deluded as the Fox News watcher who claims that's channel's news coverage is unbiased. IT'S ALL ENTERTAINMENT PEOPLE!!

July 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

I have multiple sources of news because I like to verify the "facts" presented. However I am consistently impressed with how Jon Stewart holds political and media figures accountable, especially when he uses their own video taped quotes against them. And he does this with both Democrats and Republicans. Anyone who thinks he is a Party purist doesn't watch the show. He is a progressive who cares and is not afraid to call anyone out on their BS. I do think he is a valid source of news, but he should not be one's exclusive source of news.

July 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

As someone who pays attention to various new sources I can tell you its a mixture. He puts an entertainment spin on actual facts. The news he gives is real but witih comedy mixed in. Your short sighted answer shows you do not pay attention to the facts of a topic before giving your opinion.

July 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malcolm Kass

Um, Brenda, either your view of "centrist" is actually "left-of-center" or you are naive, but Stewart is a liberal and the show has a left-slant. And that is fine, nothing wrong with that, but don't be so naive to believe that he simply breaks thru all the bs to get to the issue. No he doesn't, he gets to a view that he supports. And good for him, his show, he can do what he wants.

July 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • danielle

It IS a comedy show, but just because he's making fun of politicians doesn't mean what he's showing isn't true.

July 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • RBNLegend

Malcom, I agree that the daily show is left of center, but it has some important differences from the other news-entertainment programs and networks. The first being that they are open about it. How many times does Jon have to admit to being liberal, or admit to prefering a candidate? But despite that bias, TDS has no mercy on liberals just because of shared ideology. CNN hides their bias well, and FOX appears to be completely unaware of their own bias. TDS seems to be even more angry when politicians they want to like disappoint them. And most importantly, when The Daily Show is making a joke, inventing a story, there's no confusion. This is news, this is commentary, this is an interview, and this is pure humor. On fox those things are all jumbled up and presented with a straight face.

July 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • T!

Jon is America's court jester. TDS, Colbert Report, and NPR are my trusted sources for news. But sometimes NPR is just downright too depressing, too sad, and then I stick to dark comedy. I can't fix the BP oil leak or what the idiots in office are doing now, but I can have a collective laugh with the rest of the fans and our situation.

July 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

July 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Jack you are a moron sir. Your dysphoric rantings show a damaged cerbrum fit for a septic tank. People like you wear teabags on their head and stand shouting racist slurs at rallys while praying to Sarah Palin for redemption. Why dont you go peddle your crap elsewhere 'cause we are all stocked up here!

July 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmyN

I'm a journalist, and, IMHO, Stewart asks more intelligent questions and draws out more insightful answers than most network reporters and anchors. He brings an everyman perspective to the news while making today's issues understandable to anyone. If the networks and cable news stations took their jobs that seriously, this country might be in better shape.

July 8, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Agreed! You go to The Daily Show and Colbert for laughs but not for real news...Their shows are simply satire that makes fun of real news events and real news channels.

July 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. RIDude

Ditto what everybody (except Mike from MI) said..... :)

July 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  95. GermDave

I currently live and work in Germany (USAF) and The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the only American television I watch, and I do so religiously (by the way, I am also 41 years old, so I fall outside of O'Reilly's "stoned slacker" demographic. I do not, however, watch O'Reilly or Fox "News"). I use to watch CNN, until it became more entertainment, and less real news, than the two shows mentioned at top. My television doesn't have American channels, so I watch these shows via their websites. I always see them a day late, which gives me a chance to collect and digest the news before I see their take on what can sometimes be complicated subject-matter. As Stewart once described his show, it is a part of a digestive process. Turds of wisdom! Glad to see it seems he also walks the walk we see on his show. Jon Stewart is a self-proclaimed bad actor, so it must be sincere.

July 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  96. hhosley

With all of the anger, shouting, and misinformation on many cable news shows, I turn to Jon for sanity and behind the scenes information not usually included in many mainstream news shows. It helps, too, that the show is usually "laugh 'til it hurts" funny. The montages and Jon's reactions to the insanity are the best part of my day.

July 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Susan

I have my 13 year old son watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report to counteract his dad watching Fox and Glen Beck. I'm happy to read that Jon Stewart the person is similar to Jon Stewart the persona.

July 7, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Susan I'm glad you understand the Damage Fox news can do to a persons brain, especially if it's the only source you get your News from....now let's try to wean your husband off of the Faux news channel.

July 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • april

good job, smart mama. feel sorry for your husband, as his son will eventually learn that his father is an idiot.

July 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Susan, I do the exact same thing! The only difference is I'm the one watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert so I can argue with my Fox Snooze-lovin' father. He's had to admit defeat a few times because of it. Good job for educating your son the right way! :)

July 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Donovan

Jon Stewart has done a great job making news accessible to the masses without dumbing it down. Sure, he has guests like Will Ferrell and Cameron Diaz, but he also has heads of state and academic powerhouses. There isn't another show on TV that has done as good of a job offering insightful commentary without pandering to stupidity or bias.

July 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Maryann - Orlando FL

Jon Stewart saved me from the despair of cable news. I will always be grateful for that. Sorry, CNN, I know he rags on you guys, too, but always with humor and fun.

And, yes, sorry to say, but I get my news from Stewart and the always brilliant Stephen Colbert.

July 7, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

That's actually part of the problem...A great deal of people turn to The Daily Show and Colbert for "the news" and they are comedians who make fun of what happens in the news...They aren't real reporters and news casters so their not exposing anything. They simple are comedians that make a living off people who need a laugh or in some cases teens and young adults who are naive or gullible enough to think they actually are watching a real news shows.

As shocking as it is....There are people who think these guys are are real reporters and news shows... They just don't get that it's simply comedy...It's not real news...They make fun of real news, news stations, and reporters!

Perhaps The Daily Show and Colbert should just open with a disclaimer that states that they are Comedians and not News affiliates....lmao

July 12, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  100. cmc

Sorry, Jon Stewart, not Steward.

July 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  101. cmc

Jon Steward and The Daily Show rocks! It's the only place my husband and I turn for the facts. We also think kids in the United States should be required to read America the Book before they can graduate high school. At least then they might know something!

July 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

Here, here! I listened to the audiobook of America the Book with my 13 year old and it was a great experience. We had a LOT of discussion about past and current political issues.

July 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  102. plasticheadblog

I'm wondering where all of this is coming from? There's always someone trying to rain on someone else's success just because they can do it. Glad the staff stood up and defended Jon Stewart.

July 7, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Probably from the goons over at Fox News, since they're tired of Stewart poking holes in their "news" reporting.

July 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The Report came from Jezebel.com, not from Fox News. The link is right in the story, but in case you missed it, here it is: http://jezebel.com/5570545/comedy-of-errors-behind-the-scenes-of-the–daily-shows-lady-problem

July 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  103. youmakemehappy

He is the BEST!!

July 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Cory

Jon, you are the man. The Daily Show is the only show I ever really follow. Down with Beck!

July 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  105. youmakemehappy

I love Jon Stewart! Would love to go see his show live one day!! Keep up with your good work!

July 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Dave

Jon Stewart and the Colbert report are my "jonny Carson" before bed. The wit and balance is legendary in my opinion. You can tell the type of man Jon is from his show. And you can see how much he truley cares from his classic Jim cramer interview. Rock on Daily show.... Im a believer!!

July 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  107. T!

me too....I love Jon Stewart and the Daily Show. It's my trusted source for news!!!

July 7, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Jon Stewart

I love you too, Blair

July 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

If you are the real Jon Stewart, I love you too! I would propose but I'm married and I think you are too so I will have to admire your wit and charm from afar.

Don't ever stop doing what you do. This country needs you. XXOOXXOO

July 7, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

It's ok Jon. CNN just can't think of anything to get you with. They are just mad because you make them look stupid during every show:-P Keep up the good work!

July 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • shelnutt

On the other hand I find CNN to be most hilarious, sometimes they even come across a real story and make it sound very stupid. As an example I heard a "news" anchor ripping Lindsay Lohan for crying in court, while I could honestly care less about the day to day life of Lindsay Lohan I would not consider her to be a NEWS worthy topic. Apparently CNN and it's founder to be peddlers of things that just don't matter. Anderson Cooper 360 makes me dizzy, Rick Sanchez is confusing, and Wolf Blitzer needs a new situation. By the I sold Stephen Colbert "Gatorade" many years ago (before he was famous) and he was very nice, I haven't met Jon but I am sure he smells like a rose or something wonderfully fragrant?

July 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Tim, why do think CNN is out to get Jon Stewart? If they were, they wouldn't have published this article.

July 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bierman

Meh, Jon's just shining you on until we mobilize our army of militant liberal jew comedians and actors. It's our dream to live in a world where everyone is forced to eat gafilte fish during a Yentil marathon.

Shalom!

July 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Jon, I love you more that Blair does.

July 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

omg call in the who ever we need , jon stewart said he loved a women , we can not have this kinda of stuff. men loving women, whats next religous leaders loving kids . opps too late !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stop trying to discredit the best news source we have it just makes you look ignorant

July 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  109. RS

I just adore Jon Stewart. He seems like an all around great guy, and what his female employees are saying about him, just proves it to be true. Keep up the good work Jon. Your wife's a lucky lady !

July 7, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • justme

Jon just seems like a fantastic guy...intelligent, witty, respectful, and oh-so-cute! I'm sure he's not a perfect person and makes the occasional inappropriate remark, as we all do. But it's obvious from his interactions on the show that he is very respectful of women and admires their intellect. I can only imagine how challenging a job it is to work there...they put out quality stuff each and every night, not easy. Keep up the good work, Jon (and the ladies and gentleman who make him look good!)

July 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Blair

I love you, Jon Stewart.

July 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • overhaul38

I would like to appoint an independent investigator to track down the source of the 'RECENT REPORT".
      Could it have been Sarah? I wonder.

July 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Uber Mench! Jon Stewart has done more to inform, enlighten and entertain our republic than any one else I can think of. His humanity and decency are evident in every show he does. In addition to being the funniest person on T.V., Jon has often shamed the mainstream media into reporting on important stories that they first ignored. Bless you Jon!

July 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

How come nobody seems to notice that news channels only employ women who look like models? Fox News seems to be the worst as they seem to only hire cute blondes. HLN has Robin Meade but she is more than canceled out by the awful Nancy Grace and that frightening lady on Issues.

July 8, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
    • JayCeezy

Oh, yes, it is just awful that Fox employs cute blondes! Atrocious! Why don't we have more Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg looking pigs that were funny 20 years ago?

July 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Ryan

Being smart and thoughtful is often mistaken as "liberal" by most of the ignoramuses in America.

July 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  112. NM in NM

Jon Stewart dishes it out to both parties equally in my opinion. And his vulgarity only helps to emphasize how truly idiotic the people who run this country can be.

July 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Buster Bloodvessel

Did you hear the one about the troll named Mike?

July 7, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  114. lance corporal

he's not way too liberal he's waaaaay too smart for you, people who are freaked out by VERBAL profanity are usually masking OTHER types of profanity and besides it's comedy it goes with the territory but the big thing is you are a racist, plain simple and obvious, fortunately we are moving past your type, it's happening a couple more generations and we will
    have breed and educated out you hateful types, how does it feel to be a dinosaur ???

July 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |