July 2nd, 2010

Lady Gaga beats Obama for Facebook record

As if we already didn't know Lady Gaga is the biggest thing in the universe right now.

On Friday the shock singer broke 10 million followers on Facebook making her the first living person to have so many friends on the social networking site.

Gaga had been running neck and neck with President Barack Obama for the honor, but soon surpassed the Commander-in-Chief.

A video of the performer on her Facebook page features her thanking her "little monsters" for "all of your love and all of your support and for sticking by me through the fame and the fame monster."

"Become my friend on Facebook," Gaga says on the video after blowing a kiss. "I'll never forget you."

According the USA Today there are only five others, none of whom are living people, who have more Facebook fans than Lady Gaga, including the late Michael Jackson, Texas Hold 'em Poke, the Family Guy TV show, the game Mafia Wars and the Facebook site itself.

« Previous entry
  1. Fan

There are some more about Lady Gaga biography and newest video clips http://emaildaily.co.uk/lady-gaga

August 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. starzzguitar

THAT PICTURE IS OF AMY WINEHOUSE! What's the matter with you guys.

July 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dwighthuth

You gotta love how the E-Business tries to compare someone's popularity to the president. The last time I checked the president is not the oval office to make record labels or to go on concert tours to promote his new album "The Blues of the Black Man in Office."

July 6, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jangocat

No surprise, shes the most popular entertainer for several years now and only a small percentage of the population even pays attention to politics. Sure a lot more people should pay attention to politics but that's just the way it is these days.

July 6, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. FAKE FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOLLOWERS

Gaga's Facebook followers are fake just as Britney Spear's Twitter followers were. Their fans, via fansites, post messages telling their followers to follow them and even to create fake accounts. Check out many of Britney's followers and you will see accounts with no activity at all and accounts where Britney is the only person being followed. The same goes for Gaga's Facebook fans. These crazy fans will do anything for these celebs they follow. They want to inflate the popularity of their musical gods.

Why would 10 million ppl follow Gaga or 6 million follow Britney? These are nothing but fluff pages with little to no activity at all.

July 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sss

I wont put her name close to or compare her to madonna or michael jackson, left alone to obama.
    I would compare her to miley cyrus. Both hire good marketing teams. thats all.
    Talent? Cmon, its the package that won her fame, there a many more talents out there.

July 5, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jangocat

Won't compare her to Madonna? LOL, she is a classically trained piano player, Madonna is just a singer. Gaga is also a good singer, dancer and a fashion icon. You don't have to like any of that but it's undeniable. To compare her to an over produced lip syncing Disney kid is plain ignorant.

July 6, 2010 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. john the baptist

lady gagass is sh tt compared to Obama at his worst

July 5, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Fishsticks

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. CNN comment debates. They are plenty funny.

July 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nickc1969

She won because her economic policy is more rational than Obama's.

July 5, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. brth

Lol. Poor Barack. So unpresidential. If he focused on running the country and not on the # of people on facebook maybe we wouldn't be in such bad shape. Oh wait!! I forgot, it's Bush's fault. Yeah right!

July 5, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tara

Just out of curiosity, does somebody on the CNN wire staff also work for Lady Gaga's publicity team? They post more articles about her than Entertainment Weekly...I'm just saying.

July 5, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Now I know I read the article, which makes me as guilty as CNN, any other news network is reporting on this, and any other person that has read about this, but why is this even news. When I go to CNN.com, and this is one of the top stories, I see a serious issue. With so much other things going on in the world, this apparently is something important that everyone should know. Shame on me for reading it, shame on you for reading it, and shame on CNN and every other news network for reporting this. All we're doing is feeding the monster. Save this crap for MTV.com or Perez Hilton.

July 5, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hank Tubb

GAGA FOR PRESIDENT!!

July 5, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. fronco123

One of my people that work for me, went to Atlantic City to go see lady gaga , he was making 23 an hour, but when he gets back to work, on tuesday, he is FIRED, good worker but i know he is sick,to go see someone like GA GA, better find out now then latter.

July 5, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. stella-maris

u guys shuld kip it up

July 5, 2010 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  16. Melissa

What a bunch of hypocrites. Obama was voted in for president by a bunch of unintelligent morons who thought it would be sooper kewliez to have him in office. People were more concerned about making history than paying attention to his politics, and now we're all going to suffer.

July 5, 2010 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Icantstandrepublicans

sad, you are sad.

July 5, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • fishsticks

You're not sad. Sure Obama got what is sometimes called "the stupid vote", which to be honest is an unfair name, but he really got the inexperienced vote, which is the kids' vote. Except, kids can't vote. Obama wasn't overwhelmingly voted into office, it was much closer than some people like to think. That is all.

July 5, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tootle

Obama and Lady Gaga-two of a kind-freaks.

July 5, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Steven M.

".......the first living person to have so many friends on the social networking site." Duh. Huh?? How many "Friends"....?......on......where?.........."Facebook"?.....You think if one "friend" on Facebook chatted up Lady GaGa, or President OBama, or Sissy From Next Door or Barry-Bob the Builder, or ANYONE.....and asked to come over and spend the night because they were having family problems, or maybe borrow a pint of milk.....that they would tell you, "Sure! Come on over! I'll be waiting for you." ? Correct! NADA! ZERO! NONE! NOBODY! Why? Because you're only "friends" in YOUR make-believe, out-of-touch-with-reality, fantasy-filled, gadget-overloaded head. "Gee, Regina! I have a million friends on Facebook!!" Oh, DO you now?! Cool!.......Name fifteen or so.....

July 5, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Icantstandrepublicans

Steven, people are "FANS" of these people, not "Friends". I'm sure you are a fan of somebody. My guess would be George W Bush or Ann Coulter, who of course, wouldn't come to your rescue either. In fact, George would just send you off to get killed in a war, something he was able to get out of when it was his turn.

July 5, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. Phil

I'll add her name as a write-in Nov '12 if Obama's name is on it.

July 5, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  20. Tom Amlie

Form over substance outshines form over substance. The fickle populace is trading an empty suit for an empty skirt.

July 4, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Thornton Mulchwegger

Meh.

July 4, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Nelson

Honor? having more fake friends and another person is an honor? that is just plain ridiculous.

July 4, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. nelson

My facts are as follows:

I hate facebook because it has become a tool that enables millions of people to tell, show, say, express, exhibit, present, demonstrate every little aspect that HE or SHE chooses to picture on the website which is the #1 thing that society (mostly young adults) appears to need, ATTENTION. People crave attention, they want to be known, they want other people to know what they are doing and/or feeling in every single instant that HE or SHE (once again) chooses to show which in my eyes are hints to a person with an extreme low self esteem or a very high self esteem and as we all know any extreme is bad.

Lady Gaga represents ATTENTION, the women dresses like she is really to meet Martians and her music does not even come close to what we call talent. The song story is always (guess what?) about attention.

It is true this day and age people are tangled to this new culture because of generational change but that does not mean it is right and/or healthy for society.

In the old days (and i am not old at all, just 21 years) people wanted the attention of the people they cared for.

She had 10 millions friends on facebook, but guess what she had 0 in real life and real life is the only thing that counts.

Obama has done wonderful things for the country and if you want him to put on a diving mask and go fix the pipe in the mexican gulf then you should join him for support.

Thats all

July 4, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

She would have more talent if in the WH than Obama has while in the WH!

July 5, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Wonderful things for our country? Have u looked around u lately? Are you a working taxpayer? Because if your are, you need a reality check. Maybe u are one of the recipients of my taxes each week?

July 5, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. CLIFFORD STANLEY, San Jose

At 70 years a lot of celebs come and go. LADY GAGA is so at the moment, the essence of contemporary music. As a pianist (classical) I find her paino talent highly accomplished. While scantily clad she is totally decent. Neither is her music vulgar or obscene.Further her antics are restrained, artistic and appropriate. To my understanding never has there been a celeb with such meaning. Further she has a derriere beyone the masters. What magnifigance! Certainly a Devine gift. People get what they deserve and deserve what they get. She has my vote.

July 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  25. ftlaudbob

They said Elvis would never last too.Lady Gaga= Real talent.Enjoy her,people like this do not come around very often.Paws up!

July 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Edgar Friendly

Coincidentally, scientists around the world - at the exact same time - universally concluded that there is no correlation between popularity and talent.

July 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. infiniti

Her music is fresh but her crazy personality scares the F****** Sh** out of me. I would appreciate her more if she gave a second thought to the stupid things she does in public

July 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Freddie Mercury is probably rolling in his grave, her making fun of his song 'Radio-GaGa'!

She's the poster-child for the latest campaign for bi-polar disorder!!!!

July 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. The Juggernaut

MANNNN SHE IS FUGLY.

July 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Thank you. Agree 100%. Actually with the picture above the article, she looks like a man in drag. And that is an insult to me everywhere!

July 5, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Icantstandrepublicans

So let's you your and Beth's photographs. I'm sure you are just so frigging beautiful that you make heads turn when you walk down the street. My guess is you're both overweight, never exercised, pizza eating pigs living in some small hillbilly town and think traveling means heading to walmart in your pick up truck or mini van. Yeah, so classy, worldly and beautiful.... sit behind your computer screen and say what you want. I just love how people knock people online. Didn't your parents teach you, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"?? As Abe Lincoln said, "It's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than speak up and remove all doubt".

July 5, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  29. Ryan

Many kudos to Lady Gaga. I love her and her music, immensely.

July 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. michael

lov u Gaga!

July 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bruno

Maybe she should run for president in 2012....She's as qualified and apparently more popular!!!!?????

July 4, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  32. monsterbarak

She need a strong black mens too show the ways.

July 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Nichole

I did like her for a while, but after the flipping off people or whatever at the mets game, and wearing completely inappropriate clothing or whatever to that game and a different outfit with what looked like a beekeepers hat to her sister's convent graduation I was just disgusted with her.
    What made me really dispose her the most was that she in my view is she's almost like a female pop version of Marilyn manson. With the weird get ups and in one performance I think of paparazzi she ended with blood all on her.
    I am kinda concerned for her too because it seems she's gaga all the time as if gaga took over stephanie's body and she can't separate the two.

July 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JR

Why is this a surprise, many of us have known for many years that the majority of America are morons, idiots and buffoons with IQs below 90..

July 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Connie

I read some of the comments but not all of them...so I am just adding my 2 cents..GO LADY GAGA!!!! I absolutely love the lady and her music is amazing. As for Obama....NOBAMA!!! I did not vote for him, and I think a lot of those who did is sorry they did, rather they will admit this or not is another story...

July 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bobby

what is wrong with this?? everything....the President on facebook-–Lady gagme is on top....who cares...anyone with a brain shouldn't.......only heard her sing a bit, but she makes me think her name shoulf be gag-her...quickly.....and I know just what to use–lol

July 3, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Lostknight

More popular or not, who cares. I haven't seen much come from either of them that I'm that impressed with.

July 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. facebookisstupid

Children are more common facebook users than adults, got it.

July 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  39. New York

Lady GaGa running neck & neck with President Obama & then surpassing him. Now that is a sad commentary.

July 3, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Kealoha

Good grief!

Lady Gaga is SO overrated! Bleck =O now something like Three Days Grace...

July 3, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  41. Darrell

Who actually cares, so many stations are presenting her as a hero, I can,t stand her music, I hardly heard of her, she is trying to look like Madonna, Madonna was a very beautiful woman when she was a young age, and stil is, she had alot of number one hits at the same time, and all on the same album, now that was great. but who in thier right mind, thats wants to be a great artist of music, comes under the stage name of Ga ga, they ought to be put in a mental hospital, sounds like a newly developed toilet, if you think about it. now I would highly recomend the golden oldies or even the 1980,s rock music, like poison, meatloaf and even Lee Michael,s music would be awesome, like Do You Know What I mean, listen to it, and you decide

July 3, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  42. gagaoolalala

god would totally dig lady gaga!

July 2, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • God

Lo and behold, I do love Lady Gaga. More crucifixes, please, in videos - my son is bored without them on TV.

July 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. perrinjw

Sam, funny how the bible thumpers are the most judgemental, yet they themselves have caused so many problems.

July 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ed

Sam, thanks for the laugh. I like the way you think. Who cares who has more fans on Facebook, it is just trivial high school B.S.

July 2, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Courtney Anne

Lady Gaga Rocks! I also fully support our President, Barack Obama. He is a great man.

July 2, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Courtney Anne

Sam, you are a pathetic American. If you think it is so bad to live here in the United States because of President Obama and Lady Gaga, I would encourage you to live on an island somewhere.

July 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. me

and?

July 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ftlaudbob

Lady Gaga is also the first artist in history to have 4 #1 hits off a debut album.

July 2, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vader

Lot's of people bought Yugos too. That didn't make them good cars.

July 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Ryan

hahahah! I don't like Lady Gaga, but at least she can do her job well! BAM!

July 2, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ENicolas

Parhaps it is Lady Gaga simply imitating Amy Winehouse. Sorry to have interrupted – please go back to the mindless ranting.

July 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ENicolas

Um – isn't that a picture of Amy Winehouse at the top of this article? I don't want to interrupt all the mindless abuse of Lady Gaga, as if she were actually someone importatnt or responsible for anything, but how can you either hate or love her if you can't recognize her?

July 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

Its not amy winehouse becasue of a couple reasons
      1. She is not wearing a dead beaver/Rob Blagoiavich's hair piece
      2. If it was Amy you could smell the booze and hot tuna smell through your computer. (Scientists are still trying to figure that one out)
      3. Amy can only get TMZ to take pictures of her because no one else cares! lol

@Sam- Seriously dude lightnen up. Life it to short to get upset over who is more popular on Facebook. If I were you I'd find a hobby.... or a girlfriend.... or a priest that thinks your attractive :P

July 3, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  52. suzy diamond

....and this is a surprise because WHY????

July 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  53. kazz

whatever

July 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Rita

She would make a better president too.

July 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  55. ftlaudbob

Ryan,let the big people talk.

July 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

The grown-ups? The ones arguing about some pop singer who is nothing but hooks and a calculated image. Madonna already did it.

July 2, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ryan

Why did they photoshop out his Adam's Apple?

July 2, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Icantstandrepublicans

for the same reason they photoshop a brain on you... THERE ISN"T ONE

July 5, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  57. ftlaudbob

Not that it matters,but I'm not gay.I suggest you go on YouTube and see for yourself how great she really is.

July 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  58. cnntrolls

also want to point out, obama leads AMERICA, gaga leads the gays of the world.

July 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Antney

Wow, Sam sounds like he is alot of fun. Geez, ligthen up dude. If you don't like GaGa, then why on earth read an article about her popularity? All this negativity. I mean, how will anyone know when the "End of times" is going to happen?? And who cares? Just enjoy your life while you are here.

July 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mtka

Sam can't enjoy life. He is too busy pushing Christ down people's throats. Even though Christ himself never did anything so obnoxious.

July 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. ftlaudbob

I get my tickets to Gaga tomorrow for her April show!!!I hear it is an amazing show.So much talent at only 24.

July 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Chantal

Lindsey, I also want to apologize for spelling your name wrong in my previous post, my sister's name is Lindsay and I automatically spell it with an A!

July 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Chantal

Lindsay, I wasn't trying to say anything regarding how good an entertainer GaGa is (I happen to be a huge fan!). I was just trying to point out that maybe Facebook shouldn't be used to compare the popularity of two people who are not in remotely the same line of work, since people who are fans of GaGa and people who are fans of Obama may not use the exact same means to express their fandom :)

July 2, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. ftlaudbob

I am a 47 year old male.Lady Gaga is a tremendous talent,she is simple amazing.I think she is the biggest thing since the Beatles.Congrats Miss Gaga!!

July 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ADiff

Lady GaGa produces some enjoyable music, is a fine entertainer and an outstanding entertainment business person. But comparing her to The Beatles? I can only assume you weren't around to remember all that. Comparing Lady GaGa to The Beatles is kind of like comparing a kayak to an oil tanker...there's simply no comparison at all.

July 2, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • x

Bigger than the Beatles? jeez c'mon. Gaga is a great entertainer and a pretty decent singer, she has catchy songs, but to compare her to icons is just ridiculous. I don't care how big of a fan you or other people are, if you have to compare this person to the greats then it really does show your lack of intelligence and taste.

July 3, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • kayle

comparing her to the beatles might seem crazy now, because you're comparing a new artist with only 2 albums with a timeless world-famous classic band. however if you look at the impact on their generation, and the views from their followers as well as their haters, I think it's a fair comparison.

Critics say Gaga is all about hype and shock and not so much about actual talent. The Beatles in their day were very much about hype and angered lots of people with leftist views. And they're not exactly the best vocalists, either. Gaga=gays, Beatles= hippies. Everybody's heard about Lady Gaga, whether they love her or hate her. Same with the Beatles. Some of her songs make her seem blasphemous as she's critical of religion and its role in war and hate (Alejandro) .Same with John Lennon. (Imagine)

case in point, both of them are known to act as mouthpieces for a certain ideology during a certain generation. So, musically, i find them very comparable. In terms of success and longevity, Gaga has a long way to go before she can even light a candle to the Beatles :-)

July 4, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Degrassifan

At what point in the future do we measure musicians against the Beatles? When will baby boomers stop getting apoplectic upon hearing children mixing up Lennon with Lenin?

July 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  64. v

i don't understand what the big deal is, she obviously has a huge internet fanbase, so what? you could only take statistics of people who watch her videos on youtube and who "fans" her on facebook so seriously, it doesn't necessarily show that she's actually talented (i think she is, but still).

July 2, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  65. nicole

Michael Jackson is still unbeatable with 14 million fans and still counting!

July 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  66. beth

This is only because Americans are an ignorant and disengaged group of people who simply want to point fingers at others for their lot in life rather than stepping up and making a difference.

July 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • nrgvup

I'll bet you over a million bucks it's not just Americans who are 'Fans' of Lady GaGa on Facebook, thank you.

July 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mtka

Beth – where do you live and what are doing to make a difference? Insulting people on CNN?

July 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lindsey

Excuse me Chantal and Sam, but I am a very educated facebook user and a very strong fan of Lady Gaga's. Let me tell you that I use facebook for what it's purpose is–a social networking site. That doesn't mean I don't have the same will to express my political opinions as non-facebook users. That statement is just stupid. And Sam, your statement regarding 2000 years after Christ is stupid too. What does that matter? It's 2010. Times have changed. Get over it! Why be so stubborn and not open-minded. I agree, Obama is not a very good president at all. "It's the end of times"– so what are you going to do about it hmm? Just sit there and rant on your computer? nice. Well, while you do that, I'll be social with my friends and listen to Gaga and oh yeah, actually live my life and have fun instead of being a loser like you.

July 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Lindsey this is Sam replying back to you – grow up! hahah calling me a "loser"? What are you 12 years old? or wait, maybe 14? The whole point is that this is what we are at now. This is how far we have come. Yeah, that's right, CHRIST DIED TWO THOUSAND YEARS AGO, read it, and, literally, weep. It's not something you get "over", you silly, sad little girl. It is something that stays with us for all time, unlike modern pop stars Obama and Gaga, who we idolize shamefully as gods. And unlike today's meaningless news, we should instead focus on Christ's death, the progression of society, and the fall of western civilization as we know it. You, unfortunately for yourself, simply don't know it. You're loss. Keep on tuning in and dropping out.

July 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mtka

Sam – I am over Christ's death, the death of Moses and Mohamed.

How arrogant that you assume everyone worships your god like idolssss.

July 2, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kaiser

And we all know that Jesus would be Lady Gaga's follower, too. I can just picture him kicking off his sandals to dance to her music and singing "Alejandro". LOL.

July 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

i dont expect obama to be more facebook friendly than lady gaga. nor do i care. obama has actual intellectual work to do as opposed to.. well whatever this chicks agents tell her to

July 4, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsey

-in response...AGAIN to Sam (the genius)....I want you to know that I actually seriously laughed aloud when i read your comment. Hey, do us all a favor and get off your high horse of christianity please for one second and oh yeah remember not everyone in America is a christian. So shut it with your stupid remarks that have nothing to do with ANYTHING. jerk.

July 17, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  68. Eric

Sam, Lighten up, its entertainment, If you dont like GAGA dont listen to hear but Ten million other people would disagree with you. She is amazing and breathing fresh new life into the music business, she sings live, composes all her music and is an amazing painist. Why bash someone who brings joy to people through her music? Grow up.

July 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • God

I wish to correct Sam. Even I love Lady Gaga.
      God.

P.S. No presents for you this year, Sam. You've been naughty.

July 2, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vader

Eric. If an illiterate person said that Superman #52 was the best novel ever written, would that opinion be valid?

Of course it would: to other illiterates.

What exactly do YOU know about music? Do you know the difference between major and minor? Do you know what tension and release are? Do you understand the nuance of timing and meter?

Of course you don't.

Just because millions of people buy some crap doesn't make it significant art. Lada Gaga is trailer art. So, why don't you give her a ride on your disco stick, and STFU about what a great contribution she is making to the music world.

July 2, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Sorry, Darth, but by your own reasoning, just because a single particularly well-known and respected critic dislikes a particular artist also doesn't mean that they're NOT good—and I'm fairly certain you're no such kingmaker in the music world. Opinions are just that—especially in pertinence to art—subjective. Just because you think something's good doesn't make it intrinsically good; just because you think something's bad doesn't make it intrinsically bad. If you're going to apply principles of subjectivism or relativism, you have to apply them uniformly. No logical loophole for you. We live in a post-modernist, post-structuralist world. Get used to it.

Oh, and …

ALL GLORY TO OUR LADY OF THE SACRED DISCOSTICK!

July 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • PssttCmere

Of course she beat obama. She doesn't spend all her time lecturing America on how to act. I was not a Madonna fan, nor am I much of a Lady GaGa fan, but you have to give them kudos for keeping everything fresh and knowing what their fans want....Keep up the good work Lady!!

July 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Q. Public

If you think she brings ANYTHING new to music, you either work for her PR agent or you have NO taste in music... Aside from the fact of just being a Madonna knock off, her song are rip-off, of Ace of Base, with a DJ & autotune music..... She says shes in to Depche Mode now, I bet she'll rip them off next....

July 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mr. Jones

GO LADY GAGA!!!! LOVE HER!

July 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Lucius

I LOVE LADY GAGA!!!!!!!

July 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Chantal

Could this not also say something about the age range of people using the Facebook "fan" application? I think we could probably assume that Facebook is used less by people wishing to express political opinion and more by those who want to display to their friends what music they think is "awesome" at the moment.

July 2, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fishsticks

However, many of the supporters of Obama were in the same age group.

July 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Mtka

@Sam – Think of the energy you expended writing this comment. You could've done something worth while instead. And what does Christ (a historical figure) have to do with this story?

July 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  73. CatOnSunday

Wow, someone is jealous...and unaware of how the political system works. Also, I'm sure you thought Madona would just fade away too.

July 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mtka

@Cat – very good point!

July 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Nancy

Beautifully said. She a silly immitation du jour making millions. It just means she can sway a crowd.
    She doesn't make memorable music – she's just vulgar.
    ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz seen it all before Stephanie.

July 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  76. abcd

Nancy- why are you even talking? No one knows who you are and she is making more money than you EVER will.

July 2, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sly

Just a guess, but it seems you're one of those in a basement with a broadband connection sitting in front of a cross "doing the lord's work" by slamming anything online.

July 3, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sabrina

"the end times"?

SERIOUSLY?

it's just a pop star, son. might want to get your meds checked.

July 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Kevin

What a miserable, insulting person. You get on here and insult and you don't really know anything about what you're talking about, you just regurgitate popular anti slogans about politics and pop culture because they are easy targets to ridicule and make yourself feel "holier than thou. It's sad. If you don't like her as an entertainer, why spend so much time on her? And then you're going to insult her looks? Now is that a very Christian thing for you to do? Judge not lest ye be judged? But I guess your religion only works one way. How convenient for you. ass.

July 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Icantstandrepublicans

nancy, you are sad. Why did you read this? Why did you waste your precious energy and time to even write that? Because you are SAD.. a very sad individual who has nothing better to do with her time. Why don't you take up a cause? Donate some time and energy to helping homeless people. Spend a week in a soup kitchen. You can do so much more with your time and energy. I volunteer at our animal shelter. Being such a nasty person, I wouldn't want you near animals though, you sound like an evil person.

July 5, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  81. fishsticks

Yeah, I don't really find her music that interesting either.

July 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Fishsticks

Why do you call people sad? Why do you comment about people's character? Whether they be evil or good, sad, or not sad people, it doesn't really have any effect on the validity or invalidity of their points.

July 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |