July 1st, 2010

'Recovery': Second-biggest digital sales week in history

If there was ever a doubt that Eminem had lost relevancy in the world of music, the hip-hop legend’s latest album offered over 741,000 reasons to think otherwise.

According to Nielsen SoundScan, Eminem’s latest record, “Recovery,” moved 741,000 units since being released on June 22. This marks the largest sales week since 2008, when AC/DC stormed the charts with “Black Ice.”

The album is also the sixth straight to debut at No. 1 for Eminem. Only 1999’s, “Slim Shady LP” failed to hit the top spot.

Both the fan and critical response to Eminem’s new album has been more than favorable. While in L.A. being honored with the Founders Award at this year's “ASCAP Rhythm and Soul Awards,” Eminem’s mentor , long-time collaborator and musical pioneer, Dr. Dre had nothing but praise for his protégé’s latest effort.

“That’s incredible,” He told CNN. “The Eminem album is ridiculous. Y’all should check it out!”

Outside of the music stores, “Recovery” is responsible for the second-biggest digital sales week in history with 255,000 units in digital sales,
digital sales, falling only to Cold Play’s “Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.”

“I must have gone through 200-300 beats,” Eminem told Billboard Magazine recently. “I wanted to put the best of the best on this record.”

Now, if only Eminem could get Dr. Dre to go ahead and release “Detox.”

Filed under: Music

1. Lindsey McFly

Lindsey McFly \"Best The Am I\" MIXTAPE FREE DOWNLOAD http://www.mediafire.com/?ngtljvnyjom

July 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Odalice Feliz

Go Go captain gadget!!!! Eminem rocks, and will keep on rocking, No matter how many haters he will always win....he has inspire many teens and rebel to overcome addictions....I'm so proud of him, he deserves many more awards!!!

July 7, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Elizabeth

He killed it. I bought 2 full songs earlier tonight and didn't even have a choice in buying the whole thing. I HAD TO. It's so f***ing goooooooooooood. There is a human aspect to it and I'm going to bet you he's going to keep selling and selling and selling. He's a lyrical genius, the best hip hop artist of all time. The album is BANANAS. I haven't listened to music like this since I was a teenager. I'm only in my 20s but there's not another artist that can do it like he does. He murdered the album!!! It's incredible. I'm so happy I have this to listen to and get excited about music again. His words are ... ridiculous.

July 5, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Josh

Eminem never ceases to amaze me. This CD he spits out some of the most ridiculous rhymes. Every new chorus makes you on the edge of your seat to see who he is gonna tear down next. Nothing can keep this guy down.

July 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andy

He is amazing, Eminem is the only rapper where I listen to his lyrics over the beat. Unlike almost every other rapper who says the same stuff over over, only to a different beat. Eminem is the best rapper/artist ever.

July 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • troy

I agree that Eminem is the best rapper ever... but if he is the only rapper whose lyrics you listen to, then allow me to introduce you to Lupe Fiasco, after Em, i would say he is possibly the second greatest lyricist ever. Other honerable mentions are Andre 3000, who should be coming out with an album within the next year or so, but his old stuff is amazing. J. Cole is also another up and coming lyricist, check out his 2 mixtapes "the Come Up" "and "The Warm Up"

July 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scott

I agree with Melisa.

July 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Melisa

Good for him.
    His success is well deserved.
    I've always respected real artists speaking their truths.

July 2, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jimmy Jam Jam

He has the funniest, most creative, and emotionally true lyrics... He deserves to be on top because he puts effort. Love the new album.

July 1, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cory Everson

He is one amazing artist. I totally respect and admire Shady. He's also a great influence.

July 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |