July 1st, 2010

Judd Apatow to produce Pee-wee Herman flick

Judd Apatow’s name has been tossed all round the web this week with news of old projects, as well as – get excited – new ones.

Apatow is developing a Pee-wee Herman road-flick that will follow the bow-tie wearing super geek on “a gigantic adventure,” Variety reported.

The “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and “Get Him to the Greek” producer will work alongside Paul Reubens, who created Pee-wee Herman back in the 70s, and Paul Rust to produce the film.

"Let's face it, the world needs more Pee-wee Herman," Apatow told Variety.

Apparently the world needs more Apatow, too.

Apatow’s cult classics, “Freaks and Geeks” and “Undeclared” – neither of which lasted very long on the air – have been picked up by IFC, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“Freaks and Geeks” will premiere on IFC Friday at 11 p.m. ET., with an encore on Mondays and Sundays. “Undeclared” will make its way to the tube in the fall.

Post by:
Filed under: movies • television

1. stratégie social

Magnificent publish, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector do not realize this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you've a great readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & assist different users like its aided me. Good job.

May 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ihateSB

a lot funnier and not near as perverted as spongebob........

July 3, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ben Franklin

Would you care for a HAMBURGER, MR LIZARD?

July 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Red Pison

Will he be exposing himself in the film?

July 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. itsNadaTuma

It's about damn time. This could have happened a long time ago. He was too big of a risk until now I guess. Still love him though

July 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Billz

Wasent He Like Caught With Some Adult Videos.?
    Ewww"Nastyy ....Why Would Anybody Want To Watch Him..Hes Lookks
    Scary Looking And Is A Nastyy Person Who Masterbaits In His Videos..Grosssssss

July 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. clevercandi

I'm gonna roll a big fattie and watch this! Pee Wee ROCKS! :)

July 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. capnmike

Children learn their behaviour by watching and imitating adults. I would NEVER allow any kid of mine to watch this wierdo, aside from the fact that he's a known perv.

July 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Willie12345

This guy is going to replace Al Franken in the Senate. Talk about an upgrade !

July 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Avidgeek

Been watching Pee Wee since his HBO special debuted back in the early 80s. Didn't care much for the Pee Wee show on weekends but it was nice to see the same characters. His movies were fun and silly, and although movie humor has changed, I think there's a way of bringing him back w/o destroying what most of us enjoyed.

Can't wait....

Ms. Evan was f'n hot on that HBO special of Pee Wee. ahhh yeahh!

July 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cinders23

When we brought my daughter, who is now 20, home from the hospital we took her picture sitting on the "Chairy" stuffed toy we had under the Christmas tree. It is one of our favorite baby pictures! PeeWee's Big Adventure & his Saturday morning show were constants for our kids while they were growing up. PeeWee is funny & annoying at the same time (funny wins!). My son won a PeeWee doll at a coloring contest at Penney's when he was 4. We have all the PeeWee toys, and our kids still like looking at them even now that they're grown up. BRING ON THE PEE WEE MOVIE, MR. APATOW!! We will be front row in the audience :)

July 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Victoria Moreland

So Mr Masturbator is back in the lime light. No more hiding in sinister triple x theaters pulling his "thingy" then?

July 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jonny Rose

yeah but can they ressurect Phil Hartman for Captain Carl?

July 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Laura

I love Pee Wee. Loved his TV show. I'd still watch it if I could find it anywhere. I also think we should have a secret word each and every day (as a nation) and scream at the top of our lungs when it is said. Let's not forget the actors who got their start on Pee Wee's show...S Epatha (The Mail Lady) and Lawrence Fishburn (he was cowboy Curtis).

July 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mr yvonne

this is modestly relevant to my interests

July 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Brass Pair

Haa haa! Ha ha ha! Go Pee Wee!

July 2, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  17. Captain Carl

Reubens is brilliant. (As was Phil Hartman who co-wrote Big Adventure). His performace on the 1st season of 30 Rock was genius.

July 2, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  18. ST

There's no basement in the Alamo.

July 2, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  19. Texas Firefighter

A few months ago while channel surfing I saw that Pee Wee's Big Adventure was on. I made my 10 and 13 year old son's watch it, guaranteeing they will love it. The dancing bar scene cracked them up and I loved seeing them mimick the dancing. That laugh of his, still cracks me up and I sometimes do it to the kids. Would you rather see your kids watch
    this grown man act like a child or let them watch the Simpsons or Family Guy? These sick cartoons are worse
    for our kids to watch than Pee Wee Herman. And I'd rather have them watch this comedy than have them glued to their X-Boxes playing violent war games with the vulgarity.

July 2, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  20. powerwalker

After all these years, I still love Pee-Wee Herman. Go Man Go... I love you with the makeup and I love you without the makeup.

July 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  21. cat

YAY! Another Pee Wee movie! Can't wait! :-)

July 2, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Vic

I love PeeWee – I still have tapes of his Saturday show. Good news!

July 2, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. Marnie

I think he's too old now to resurrect this character. It's weird and I'm kind of embarrassed for him. I thought he was very funny in Mystery Men - he should do more comedy parts like that.

July 2, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  24. The StarsShine Bright

I remember going to PeeWee viewing parties in the basement of the Alamo!

What do you mean I'm remembering it wrong??

July 2, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  25. Suz

I ADORE Pee-wee Herman! His triumphant return is a blessing to thirtysomethings everywhere. G_d bless you, Paul Reubens!

July 2, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  26. Kevin

I will crack up when Pee-Wee's new movie trumphs sales for crappy special FX glossed blockbuster Hollywood remakes. As long as they stick to Pee-Wee's true format – slightly perverted and more geared towards adults and a PG13+ rating, this is going to ROCK! Hoping for an R rating with Apatow at the helm. Let's face it, this movie will be geared towards a mid-30's audience. Go Pee-Wee GO!!!

July 2, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  27. Pee Wee fan!!

I LOVE Pee Wee!!! He is the BOMB DIGGETY!! I do a great impression of him, can't wait for some new Pee Wee stuff. My son is now 30 and together we watched Pee Wee together and laughed our butts off. I was living in Jacksonville, Fl when he had his Sarasota "event". Made up a great joke.. now I can tell it to the whole world. "Who came first, Pee Wee or the cops???" You GO Pee Wee!!

July 2, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  28. Willie12345

You're looking at the next Governor of California.

July 2, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. LILME

Im sorry. They need to bring back Startrek not peewee. Startrek still has a huge fan base and people love it. So why did the networks kill it midseason. The world may never know.

July 2, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. Herbie

I still haven't gotten over the headlines on this guy" Pee-wee pulls pud in public, people perturbed!" Don't bring this guy back!

July 2, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jt

Must bring back Morpheus!!!

July 2, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. Craig Zeichner

Funnier than Obama and not as arrogant.

July 2, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. Hustle

He was in a pr0n theater touching HIMSELF. Are you really dense enough to compare him to Manson and OJ? He didn't go and kill anyone. I mean for real dude, you think that people that go into adult movie theaters go in there to just sit back and watch?

July 2, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. pattydmode

we love pee wee! my youngest stepson refers to him as the guy who was looking for his bike! (:

July 2, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jessica

Word of the day: PeeWee! AAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  36. Michael

I loved Pee Wee Herman, and if I can find his old show on DVD anywhere, I would get it for my 7 year old in an instant. He did ONE bad thing on his own time and quite frankly, I wonder why we are paying taxes to have officers hanging out in those theaters. Its not like he was selling kids drugs or stabbed anyone. You go Paul, there are a lot of people who support you!

July 2, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You can find Pee-Wee's Playhouse on DVD in stores or online. Keep looking, they make it!

July 2, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  37. Andre

Some people just see with their eyes instead of their heart and brain. Go Pee Wee Go.. your shows had imagination
    and was fun to so many. Good Luck.

July 2, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  38. CWolfe

My ringtone is the "Making Breakfast" music form Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I like hearing my phone ring!

July 2, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. Sussay

I love you Pee Wee!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  40. LRoy

Excuse me, but I'm going to be 48 next month. I watched him in the early 80s he was THE comedian (next to Gallagher and Sam Kinison), to watch in college.

And yes, I watch both Pee Wee Herman movies when I can. In fact "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" was one of the very few movies my brother and I went to see without our parents. If I have the money, I will go.

I agree, his act-Pee Wee persona is more geared to "adults" but that's the charm.

That being said, I would like to see him do some acting-perhaps a drama-as himself, as Paul Reubens.

Now if he (the actor), can stay OUT of trouble, we'd all be okay.

PS-I first liked Tiny Tim when I was five, and to this day I still like him, so there!!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  41. Jwood850

TELL EM LARGE MARGE SENT YA!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

July 2, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  42. Globie

Was that the REAL Cowboy Curtis who posted????
    Hope his lab work is not slacking.
    GO PEE WEE! We know you're making a film, but what are we?!

July 2, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  43. GuestWho

I'm 34, and my older brother and I grew up watching Pee-Wee's Playhouse. "Big Adventure" was one of our all-time favorite movies. I'm chuckling right now thinking of the one-liners from the film (who *doesn't* love the Large Marge scene??). I hope that Apatow and Herman do great things with the concept; if so, I'm on board 100%. BTW, regarding his arrest...I feel he was totally thrown under the bus by the media. He committed no crime other than indecent exposure. It's not like he molested children. Yes, he made a mistake, but come on, many other celebs have done far, far worse and been forgiven. Let it go, America, and enjoy the laughs he created.

July 2, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  44. Alfred E Newman

My grown up children enjoyed Peewee in the 80's. I'm sure they will watch his latest adventures. Everybody deserves a 2nd chance.

July 2, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  45. mel

I lost all respect for The View when they had him on the show. What is wrong with people? Is ratings more important. The man was caught in a theater touching himself. Next we will have a show hosted my Charles Manson or OJ simpson, I guess morality is dead is TV anymore. I will not see the movie and that is my right.

July 2, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Let me guess... you're "Christian". "Christians" are by and large the most judgmental lot I've ever seen, which should be in direct opposition to how they're supposed to be. I put "Christians" in quotes to distinguish from actual Christians. Get a life!

July 2, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • dewey

did you just compare beatin off in a dark theatre to Manson and Simpson? wow!!!

July 2, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Mel, are you actually comparing masturbation to mass murder?!

July 2, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Al Gore's th'rapist

At least he didn't s e xually assault his massage therapist.

July 2, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Masturbation is on par with the crimes of Charles Manson and OJ Simpson? Are you serious? Reubens has paid for what he did that night and then some. You must be one of these people who just loves to be outraged over something. You just look for things to be offended about.

July 2, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • The View

Well, at least you're making some progress by admitting that you now have no respect for The View; most of us never had any respect for that show.

Did you adopt your children? I am just asking since you seem to find anything s e xual so repulsive.

July 2, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Riiigghhhttt.. because you never committed that act ever and if you did, you deserve to be in disgrace for the rest of your life... But yeah I never had much respect for The View anyway.

July 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  46. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel

There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.
    Dottie: I don't understand.
    Pee-wee: You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel. So long, Dott.

July 2, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  47. Mr.Mr.

Sorry, but the photo above, showing Rubens currently done up as Pee Wee, makes me think of late photos of Bela Lugosi still trying to do his Dracula schtik. Sad.

July 2, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Incorrect. This is an oooold photo, during his heyday. They must've tried to find the worst photo possible for this article, to make you think he's "washed up". This was 6 years before Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

July 2, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. Large Marge

I still have the VHS box set and my step kids LOVE IT! Miss Yvonne was such a saucy little tramp.....

July 2, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  49. torqued off

Isn't this the guy who did himself with a hand job on stage in a kids theater? This guy has nothing or will say nothing that I want.

July 2, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You are an idiot. There was nothing AT ALL involved with kids. I wish Reubens could see your comment and sue you for it. Irresponsible!

July 2, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  50. Tom

Nobody hit me to that, dude.

July 2, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  51. Joe

I think Paul's funniest moment was the Hamburger Dude in the old Cheech & Chong movies....Pee Wee????? That's so old....it just isn't going to fly. Someone should see this big lead balloon project and realize it's got an equal chance of succeeding as we have of returning to the moon any time soon. I feel bad for Paul that he's sort of turned into a one-trick-pony. He should try some other stuff since at this age, it's a little bit dimented.

July 2, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

This IS the "other things" you think should be doing. He hasn't been Pee Wee for years and years. You ever see the movie Blow, or the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie? It's not like he's been pushing the Pee Wee act for the last 20 years, it's just what people remember him the most for.

And for all the people who seem to think he was somehow arrested for anything more sinister than masturbating in a *GASP* adult theatre! Get your facts straight. He didn't do anything involving or even around kids. So stop trying to make him seem like a child molester. He's an adult man, who once got caught masturbating. If you find that horribly shocking, never go outside ever again. Your head will explode.

July 2, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  52. Brian

Bring back Tim Burton to direct!

July 2, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  53. Johnny Ola

When Paul Reubens was arrested at an Adult Store, he had stopped playing Pee Wee Herman for over a year (the show was in reruns). So, I give him some slack (he wasn't exactly spilling oil in the Gulf). You have to admit, the Pee Wee Herman show was ahead of it's time. My 10 year old saw some reruns of the show recently and really got a kick out of them. If done right, it could be a great movie!

July 2, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  54. Wood

I'm 32, so when Pee Wees Big Adventure came out I was like 7 years old. I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. I watched it years later in my 20s and totally got tons of jokes that went over my head when I was a kid. It was totally hysterical.

July 2, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  55. yoda

lol, awesome!

July 2, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  56. hhm

There's a reason Pee-wee peaked in the 80's. Somethings are best left in the 80's. This is one of them.

July 2, 2010 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  57. creepy

what is wrong with his face?

July 2, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  58. Jersey Chris

I'm sure you all remember this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0bHUtpXI3o

July 2, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  59. Susie Q

No matter what ppl say Pee-wee rockz.... If you don't like it well that's your problem. I learned a lot growing up watching his show. I'm 26 right and I so love him. My nephews come over my house just to want all the seasons on dvd or the movie. I support PeeWee 1,000,000%.lol.

July 2, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  60. Susie Q

OMG!!!!! I love pee wee. Ever since I was a little girl. Till this day I get a kick outta of him. I have pee wee's playhouse and all the movies he's done on dvd. I even still got my peewee doll. I can't wait. I LOVE YOU PEEWEE.

July 2, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  61. rachel

Eeew. No WAY would I allow my kids to watch this guy.

I vividly remember his bust back in the day for doing his deed in an adult movie house and I'm sure nothing much has changed there.

Just knowing this little bit of history, he will never grace our tv/computer screens.

Nope, no way.

July 2, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
    • R.Check

I couldn't hear what you were saying Rachel. Please turn the George Michael music down.

July 2, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Rubetube

Of course! Because I am CERTAIN that you too, are EXACTLY the same as you were then!!! LOL!

July 2, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Didn't you say that already?? Geez it's like you're fascinated by it...

What is there some kind of subliminal message in it that could corrupt your kids?? Pearls before swine, I say!

July 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Buxton

I know you are, but what am I!!?!

July 2, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  63. cindy

I love Pee-Wee and loved his show. I watched it with my little boy who is now 30. Can't wait to see the movie.

July 2, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  64. Anth

yeah, hope he does good, and take up where he left off (movie wise), he was hosed, there was a lot of junk going on that was way worst and people getting away with it .. I guess they still are :-P

July 2, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  65. Michael

Woohoo, go peewee!

July 2, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  66. Dad

I watched Pee Wee's big adventure about a month ago during my kids' sleepover. I was looking for a moie on Netflix that the kids could watch and I could tolerate. I was shocked at how much the kids liked it. I was equally shocked at the fact that I still found it as funny as I did when I was a kid. Pee Wee never gets old! (Literally. Look up a picture of him from the '80s and sompare to hix pic now. I'm pretty sure he stopped aging in 1988).

July 2, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  67. sid

Long Live Jam-bee

July 2, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  68. John

It says he will be working with Reubens, but not that Reubens would be portraying the character. No one caught that?

July 2, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Rubetube

Then there would be no point in making the movie! Definitely. There is NO other PEE WEE! ( ...two of the cats in my life have been named Pee Wee!! (felines)

July 2, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  69. ChicagoDrew

What's with all the "he's not funny [anymore]" comments? He's not exactly out and about doing comedy routines, so (A) how would you know? (B) The film is tentatively to be produced/written by some comedic talents, so it'll be good. I trust Apatow.

July 2, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  70. Dr RatstaR

The theme song to PeeWee's Playhouse was sung by Cyndi Lauper. The song was recorded normally, then speeded up when it was dubbed down to the final version, giving Cyndi's voice even more squeaky overtones.

"Large Marge sent me.........".

July 2, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  71. Mary

My boss really loves pee-wee. If people like it. more power too them.

July 2, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • steve

Ummm, are we talking the same Pee-wee here? LOL!
      That's probably what it's about. Many can't get past his character name. I think it's funny. Then again, I like fart jokes.

July 2, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  72. steve

Pee-wee's Playhouse was one of the best things to happen to children programming since Howdy Doody or Bozo the Clown in my opinion.

July 2, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  73. Joe

In a word: YES! I just introduced my 9-year-old to PeeWee a few months ago, he loved him. PeeWee's stuff teaches lessons, a big one of which is how you treat people is important. Ruebens is a pure genius, it's been way too long.

July 2, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  74. Jim Bob

His funniest role: the Hammmmburger Man in "Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams" (1980)

July 2, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  75. Alex

Pee wees big adventure is still to this day a very funny movie. i dont think the humor is outdated at all. i am very excited for this. as long as its not crap like big top adventure

July 2, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  76. steve

Cartoons about Noah's Ark are so much more informative. Not!
    Something tells me those who are not religious fundamentalists and lean a bit to the left like him more. Not trying to make it political but seems to be a fact from what I see.
    Sure are a lot of religious based cartoons on Saturday morning nowadays. I don't think commercial TV should be preaching religion on Saturday morning.
    Pee-wee kid's show on Saturday morning taught life lessons without preaching religion. His movies were another story.

July 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rubetube

Yeah, and if you don't watch Oprah because she's "spiritual' instead of "religious", you probably wont like Pee Wee either.

July 2, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  77. ThrowMeaBone

If you love him so much why don't you marry him? Heh heh heh...

July 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. nasnan

oh yes, please! his movies were awesome. i think the vhs tapes broke because they were watched too much in our house. and i still giggle whenever i think of the episode where he loved fruit salad so much he married it.

July 1, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimberly

That episode was GREAT. I watched him faithfully and will definitely go see this movie.

July 2, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  79. VoiceofReason

His Christmas Special was great!

July 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  80. MAty

"Everyone I know has a big but."

July 1, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  81. LOUD NOISES!!!

I really wish this movie will have all of the adult humor of the original stand up act (before it got censored to hell and turned into a children's show).

July 1, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  82. steve

Pee-wee is a classic like him or not. Deal with it, get over it.

July 1, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. sure

Pederast? He was caught pulling his own pud in an adult theater. I have no kids, and I could still tell the country deprived itself of some of the best kids television on the air.

July 1, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Accidentally hit 'report abuse' button. Sorry! Yea, people act like they never got off by themselves. He was well known so he got burnt.

July 1, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Grizzly

Do we really need to bring this pederast back to the spotlight?

July 1, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

You don't know what the word pederast means, so you should probably stop using it.

July 2, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Moronh8ter

Grizzly, please explain how Paul Rubens going to an adult movie theater (one that shows p o r n in case you really are that stupid) and getting caught with his pants down is in any way related to molesting or taking advantage of a child. I bet you're the real pederast as a way of justifying your perversion to yourself you accuse everyone else of being one too.

July 2, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  85. graham

people make mistake and do wrong things but this man is AWSOME and talented truly his show is an art ! come on people get REAL ! let the show go on and let the B.S. go......................................................................

July 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Kerry Berger

Give me a break. Pee Wee Herman was the most clueless, infantile program that ever was shown. It is the epitome of lowest common denominator trash on the boob tube. Why is American Television such a wasteland of junk programming? Why bring back the past? Why not create something new and imaginative instead?

July 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Obviously you never watched the show. It was incredibly imaginative especially for the target audience. It also taught many basic life lessons. You're slamming something you know nothing about.

July 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I have to agree. You can't have watched the show. It worked on many levels, was exceptionally funny, exceptionally creative and exceptionally original.

July 2, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason B.

And most importantly, it was just plain fun. Was it the highest quality programming? Heck no. But it was just good fun.

July 2, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • dave

show was highly imaginative and very cutting edge perhaps Kerry you can come up with something better between flipping those burgers

July 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Over your head, I guess...

July 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  87. DACOOLE

I asked my husband to come take a look at this guy on kids tv. Something wasn't quite right. We quit letting our kids watch him. His humor was a little too perverted and in bad taste. He's not right upstairs. I'll take Kermit anyday over this-this-this-whatchamacallit.

July 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • mom2boys

I grew up watching the show, am now in my early 30's and now watch it my kids. There is absolutely not one thing perverted about Pee Wee's Playhouse. Yes, there is some subtle adult humor thrown in but they do that in Shrek but overall, it's good fun. Prude.

July 2, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I really pity you, I really really do. The fact that you see anything perverted in Pee Wee's Playhouse speaks volumes about you and really highlights how wrong in the head YOU are. I hope your children eventually grow up to realize that you are a mentally unstable prude and that not everything has a s e x ual under/over-tone. Sadly, I fear it is too late for them as I'm sure you'll continue to brainwash them until they manage to escape when they turn 18.

July 2, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • davr

but kermit is so green and smell like miss piggy

July 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • makemyday2day

dacoole – if you're finding anything perverted in one single episode of "PeeWee's Playhouse", it must be your OWN perverted mind working overtime! That's the biggest problem I have with 'do-gooder's' like you. You probably don't celebrate Halloween since it's a devil's holiday. These things are only thisway because YOU perceive to see them that way. The more a parent tries to "hide" the truth/reality from their kids, the more curious the kids get. When they become of legal age, they'll make up for lost time! Better they know what's out there and prepare them – or let them find out for themselves. Don't be such a prude!

July 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Will

Pee Wee totally rocks. If it weren't for a handful of right wing freaks, we'd all be enjoying him still. His kid shows really taught kids things such as creativity and making things and how to take care of themselves, as opposed to the drivel now being churned out. What a concept! If you ever get a chance to see his Christmas Special, Run! Don't Walk to see it. A total classic that has a million cameo appearances.

July 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Shawn

Great. A Pee Wee movie that should have ended 20 min ago.

July 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  90. jeffbo

What a freeking dork !

July 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  91. flip

I always used to say, "This Peewee Herman guy will have a long and successful career as long as he's never caught publicly masturbating." Sadly, my words proved strangely prophetic.

July 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Tim

I think they're IRANIAN!!!

timeless...

July 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Tedmund Fitzgerald

I saw a picture once from a party...PeeWee with Rodney Dangerfield and David Lee Roth. Time machine, please?

July 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. pee wee fan

while there are some negative posts on this it's nice to see that there
    are a larger number of positive comments as well. i too grew up
    watching Pee Wee's tv show and loved both his movies even as corny
    as Big Top Pee Wee was. The whole adult theatre thing was blown so
    far out of proportion that it kinda made me sick back then not that he
    was "caught" but that there were some people that realized "OMG he
    did THAT in an ADULT theatre?" but anyways if he does come back which
    I think would be a good thing because yes we need more comedy in the
    world these days I would definitely see the flick.

July 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  95. johndoe5

Americans will watch anything, even the most idiot things in the world. what a screwed up society.

July 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • To johndo5

Like anyone at all is going to pay attention to anything said by anyone who goes by the most unimaginative of usernames "johndoe5".

July 1, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • USA

And I'm sure whatever sh!thole 3rd-world country you're from is working itself to death to make it for us for pennies an hour. And you better love us or we'll find another country of starving losers to push your corpses out of the way and kill themselves for our money. The absolute best part is that 15 years later we will sell the same crap back to you idiots at a premium and you morons will pay every dime we ask for because you can't get enough of our culture.

July 2, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott2

Pee-Wee is proof of America's SANITY you foolish person.

July 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Dan

you're the guy ... from the hamburger train ... riight?

July 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  97. NoDoubt

I love Paul Reubens. He's a weirdo, yes, but is entertaining! An extroverted introvert like myself, I'd love to hang out one day with him. I bet he could talk about some crazy stuff!

July 1, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Brittany

Pee-wee creeps me out so much! Maybe it's because he was before my time, but still. Yuck.

July 1, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • LIke Duh

If your name is Britanny, Pee Wee WAS before your time. Just like your generation probably thinks the Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber have any talent at all.

July 1, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Paul

Paul's best film was actually Blow with the wonderful Johnny Depp. Perfect casting.

July 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Makemyday2day

Paul – I totally agree with you on "Blow" (Depp, too). However, "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" will always be my favorite movie and I still laugh hysterically everytime I watch it. My oldest son turns 30 next week and we used to watch "Pee Wee's Playhouse" together every Saturday when he was very young. Great memories! I embrace the return of PeeWee!

July 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Admin

i feel the urge to goto the movies...

July 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Furutan

Mack in the mid 90's I was in Austin and my future wife was in Chicago. We would have long distance dates. Once I "took her to a movie." We both rented Pee Wee's Big Adventure and watched it together while on the phone. We also shared our snacks. During the movie we would fax each other popcorn bags and the like.

Weird, fun movie. Weird, fun wife. Great date. Great life.

July 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Buck Ofama

I loved Pee Wee in that movie where he was in a movie theater whacking off to the adult film "Nurse Nancy". Oh wait, that was real life!!!

July 1, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Scott

Yes, bring back the genius!

July 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Danno

Are you kidding, in a theater? Oh, one of those sticky theaters! I would'nt even walk past one of those! I mean, you would think they would be very stinky. ewwwwww. Also- AAUAUAUAAGHHGH you just said the word for the day!

July 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  105. jimmy

I gotta say Apatow has done some funny stuff, but bringing Pee Wee back? He's just not funny anymore. It's like Rodney Dangerfield. He might have been funny at one time, but times change. Kind of like the mullet and neon laces. It's going to be a bomb.

July 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  106. DallasMarine

Pee Wee will always be a much funnier comedian than Sarah Palin will ever be. What? You mean to tell me Palin isn't a comedian? Ok, I'd rather watch Pee wee than the tired antics of Dane Cook, or most comedians that are around.

July 1, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. cifey

Dude has some kind of messed up/brilliant imagination.
    I wonder if he can still pull it off with falling testosterone levels?

July 1, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Annexian

I love Pee Wee! He's awesome!

July 1, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  109. DC

It could be worse ... they could be bringing back Tiny Tim.

July 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Mary Ellen Brooks

Our family loved Peewee Herman. I think PeeWee instilled in our children a certain dry but kind humor which they all still enjoy today. We loved the Saturday morning show. It was beyond clever. Then came "Peewee's Great Adventure" which still incites belly laughs.. Who can forget the tour of the Alamo and the wonderful character Simone and large Marge. We still say good-bye to "Au Revior, PeeWee" "Au Revoir Simone". I notice some singing group actually has that name. And this 60 something gets it!!!(I don't get much these days). Our oldest went to his sixth grade Halloween contest at middle school dressed as PeeWee Herman. Short pants, red bowtie, and white shoes. His science teacher, a wonderful woman with a great sense of humor, had him get on the science lab tables and do the 'Tequila' number. He is still remembered by all his classmates for that performance.

I still have our 'Chairy" and an untouched PeeWee's Playhouse waiting for that 6th grader's son to enjoy. This is great news. And yes, I agree with an earlier poster, we do need more of PeeWee's humor. Kind, a bit irreverent, slightly sophisticated. A thinking child's humorist. All that stuff about Paul Reubens in the moviehouse was so bogus. My God, PeeWee never said he was a saint. You couldn't look at or appreciate the show without knowing these characters (actors) were just on the edge. I would like to think children (and parents) who liked PeeWee Herman as a character had that 'kinder, gentler' character that we really need today. Sarah Palin and her ilk would be clueless (and are clueless!)

July 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Awesome post! I totally agree.

July 1, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rae

I agreed with you up until the Sarah Palin part. What does SHE have to do with this?

July 2, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • senseToMe

Rae, the point is that there are some people,,,such as Sarah Pallin....who are gray-celled deficient and show their lack of ability to conceptualize the humor and standards of Pee Wee Herman. Her 'Imbicility' could have been greatly diminished if she took the time to watch Pee Wee Herman in the first place, showing that Pee Wee does good in the world. She would still be an imbicile, however, for there is no 'Perfect Goodness' in this world. The post is a very good post, and makes much sense.

July 2, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  111. Mark in WV

Paul is creative and has my respect.

July 1, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Morningwoody

Pee Wee was derailed cause he was chokin the chicken in an adult theatre in Sarasota, Florida. I know, I lived there at the time. To be honest here, I have also. Though not at that particular theatre. Most men reading this post have also. do also. Bottom line....no pun intended.....Pee Wee was and will be again an awesome entertainment to our young. Deserved.

July 1, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • stePH

I never fapped in a theater or any other public place. I only ever did it in the privacy of my home.

(Cheech & Chong's Next Movie was also my favorite Rubens role, though PW's Big Adventure ruled as well)

July 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • rachel

You guys may be all proud bragging about the pud whacking you all are so fond of doing, however.... I will NEVER let my child watch this dude, no way. He has a history, a quite vivid one, and one I will never forget.

July 2, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Atom Spectre

@Rachel: Don't let your children see their father, I can bet he has a history of masturbating also. While your at it, better hide them from Michael Jackson, Matthew Broderick, and probably every other star in hollywood. (Matthew is known for vehicular manslaughter... drunk driving) Honestly, I hate parents who shelter their kids instead of educating them.

July 2, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • toddg

@Rachel – Suuuuure, you're a saint who's never done anything questionable. Because you're a perfect gift from God. You're the kind of person who vilifies others for getting caught doing the same things you do, but haven't gotten caught – yet. But when you do get caught, you're "deeply sorry" and "truly regret" your transgressions.

July 2, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Moronh8ter

Rachel is just another strong example of why people should required to obtain a license to procreate. Until then, morons will continue to beget morons and teach them their moron ways.

July 2, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Stevie J

I have fapped in theaters, bathrooms in my car, wherever the mood strikes me, I don't fault Paul for what he did, he got caught BIG DEAL. Rachel, there is no reason to not let your kids watch Pee Wee, they do not know anything about what he did, why punish them from this comic genius. I am sure you & your husband have fapped as well. I am sure you have done it in front of him & him you. I am also sure you have doe it alone, I would keep your kids away from everyone then, I bop, she bop, he bop, you bop, we bop, they bop.

July 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Sorry but so what?? What was he watching when he was busted? As long as it was adult on adult I don't think it's an issue as it has nothing to do with his act. I never heard he was suspected of anything to do with kids either?

July 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Benedict Obama

he looks like he crawled out of a grave...

July 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Charles Stinger

Meka Leka Hi, Meka Hiney Ho

July 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Tutti

All children love Pee Wee and his humor is timeless. I have his VHS tapes still and sometime we watch them. Fun. We need more fun in the world.

July 1, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

Yes, somehow we all knew Pee-Wee fans are the kind that still have VHS...

July 2, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
    • mom2boys

I have the series and Christmas special on DVD and Pee Wee's Big Adventure on VHS. I loved the show as a kid and now my 5 and 6 y/o boys love the show. They think it's hysterical.

July 2, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • toddg

They still have VHS because they enjoy quality entertainment that because of small minded corporate idiocy never made it to DVD and probably won't make it to Blue Ray either... Only corporate trash made by committee has a chance of ever staying in print.

July 2, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Carl

Paul is/was great. Someone mentioned his Christmas show and it was a classic. Did anyone see the episodes of Reno911 that he was in? He was great as a PI turned thief. He's a funny guy who shouldn't have been forced off the air. Prudish Americans.

July 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Thumbelina

I liked Reubens in the Cheech & Chong movies too. I liked him as Howie the "Hamburger Dude" from Nice Dreams.

July 1, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Al Gore's therapist

Paging Mr. Herman, Mr. Herman. You have a telephone call at the front desk.

July 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  118. pEEwEEhERMAN

I'M TRYING TO USE THE PHOOOOONE!

July 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  119. pleasenopeewee

I'm in my mid 30's and this show always tripped me out. SO not funny. He actually scared me! I mean, a strange man, running around squealing and waving his arms everywhere? PLEASE don't make this into a movie. It will tank.

July 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moronh8ter

Please, you're in your mid 30's and Pee Wee scared you? I'm not even 30 yet and I used to watch that show as a kid and it never once "tripped me out". Take some advice, if you don't like the show/movie, don't watch it. See how simple that is?

July 2, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Tripped you out?? :-/ Must have been some really bad weed...

July 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  120. greencrack

Pee Wee Herman is the bomb. He smokes mad weed too, awesome, i fully support bringing Paul Rueben's character back.

July 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  121. kevin

He is just really funny and always will be. Just stay out of the theaters

July 1, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Squeeker

Yep, that's my thought.... keep the little pee-wee in your pants this time! Good luck!

July 2, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  122. Jakedog

Mecka lecka hi, mecka hi dee ho.....

July 1, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Jakedog

I know you are but what am I!!!

July 1, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  124. jonas

But, will lawrence fishburne reprise the role of Cowboy Curtis?

July 1, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ezilla

I read somewhere that if they was another movie being made, and Cowboy Curtis was in it, he would. Now that I would love to see. And for those of you who ask if Pee-Wee is still relevant. Yes, he is. Very much so.

July 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allen

Oh, that would be SO cool if Mr. Fishburne would do Curtis again!!

July 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Scott

I prefer Reubens in "Cheech & Chong's Next Movie", as a hotel clerk and later as Pee-Wee Herman in a comedy club.

July 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freeman0331

"I'm not sorry I took the money! MAAAHH!"

July 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Bob

The movie was actually "Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams"- The Hammmmmburger Man! And in "Meatballs 2", Peewee Kreeshna!

July 2, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  126. Kevin

The world DOES need more Pee Wee.

July 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  127. mejazzbo

Good luck, Paul. Go for it!

July 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Michael

His humor is old. I doubt he will live up to today's comedy

July 1, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave mac

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is funnier than most comedies that come out these days. So your theory is wrong.

July 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • E

My 5 year old loves the show!

July 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

I think those who grew up watching his shows and movies will think he's still funny.

July 1, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

fortunately his humor was ahead of the curve, kinda like Andy Kaufman although different type of humor.

July 2, 2010 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeter

His humor still cracks me up. My nieces and nephews think he's hysterical.

July 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  129. davec

He makes me wanna puke!

July 1, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Steph

My favorite episode of the tv show was the one with the giant underpants. I wonder if he will still be funny.

July 1, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sassyfos

I went into labor 23 years ago watching that episode because I was laughing so hard!

July 2, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  131. james

Hes not funny anymore.

July 1, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  132. TIRTMI

this is relevant to my interests

July 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • dtown

The movie would have to be geared towards people in the early to mid-thirties. I would love to see Pee-wee again. I still watch Pee-wee's Big Adventure when I see its on cable.

July 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheek

I love Pee-Wee. I have great memories of him from the 80s movies and think Reuben is great and his act is pure genius.

July 1, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rudy J

My sons are 4 and 5! I grew up watching Pee Wees BIg Adventure. I knew all the lines word for word. My kids love his display of humor. All they ask if they can watch Pee Wee. Paul Reuben has had his mistakes and differences, but he is a true entertainer!

July 1, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • And Yet...

And yet, you were the very first person to jump aboard and post a comment.

July 1, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • leikela

then don't read it

July 1, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • S to the V

@"Leikela", @"And Yet...": what the heck are you two talking about? They said it IS relevant to their interests. Do you know what relevant means?

July 2, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Doc

I think Pee Wee Herman needs to give it up. It is not even funny. Why would anyone want to waste their hard earned money on this stupid project.. Get real.

July 2, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
    • hehe

this is semi -irrelevent to my interests.

July 2, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
    • william

He's looking more and more like Michael Jackson... and not the live one.

July 2, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Cowboy Curtis

You stole the show in the movie "Blow" as the gay pot dealer. I still watch your 1988 Christmas special every season. You made me laugh & the world needs more of that. Best of luck.

July 2, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike R

Man... Paul looks creepy as PeeWee, but that could be a terrific movie. I'm all for it!

July 2, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • john

The big shoe dance was classic, in the world we live in these days, pee wee is a breathe of fresh air....get off he's back..

July 2, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

pee wee! pee wee! pee wee! pee wee!

I pity the fool that don't want to see this movie.

July 2, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jt

.....for I am a robot.

July 2, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Paula

I have never stopped loving Pee-Wee! I think it would be so awesome for the project to come alive. I have always thought Paul Reuben was judged unfairly by the overall "public opinion". After all, Micheal did "Oh, so much more!". Bring it on Pee-Wee!!!

July 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  133. MrThou

I think you mean pea because pee can be rather large if you drink a liter of anything.

July 1, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |