July 1st, 2010

Fans react to Wonder Woman's costume change

Not even the early success of "Eclipse" could bring out the comments as much as a change in Wonder Woman's iconic costume.

Hundreds of people weighed in yesterday on the Marquee Blog, and elsewhere with their view on Diana Prince's new look.

Those who disliked the costume, at first glance, certainly made their feelings known. "WHAT THE???? You do not take an iconic symbol...and change it. I do NOT like the new digs...You made her 'normal'...and who wants that??," wrote "TheWonderiestWoman."

"Mary" wrote, "I don't like the look. Wonder woman is an amazon, and at the very least should wear something that looks like armor. I HATE the pants in particular. So 1980's."

Artist Jim Lee, a comic book icon in his own right, seems to understand the importance of the character's costume, which was changed once before to a 1960s "mod look." "Wonder Woman’s costume is so infused into our understanding of the identity of the character that it took many numerous back and forths ’til we broke down what existed, got back metaphorically to the clay from which Wonder Woman started and something new started to form," he said.

As much as some of the commenters disliked that "something new," there were plenty of others who were ready to embrace it. "lol" opined, "Loving the new outfit. It's got that edgy feel to it. She has that 'don't mess with me' look about her, very hot."

"jodi," meanwhile, was on the fence: "She doesn't look like Wonder Woman anymore. She looks cool, just not like the WW I know and love."

Quite a few people compared her outfit to the X-Men character, Rogue. And then there is this "fixed" version.

iReporter Harry Crosland thinks that this change won't last. "Radical costume changes rarely ever stick," he said. "Eventually the artists will gravitate back to the originals because that's what resonates well with readers."

One thing that could very well determine that is whether or not this new look brings in new readers, and only time will tell about that. In the meantime, feel free to share your take on Wonder Woman on video, or in the comments below.

1. justahoe

don't watch the movie...dis is mi casa.

December 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ShawnJ

Hello Mina, actually I've been reading the comics since I was 11. Now being 46 and still reading them I'm well aware of the many variations WW has been through. It is clear you didn't read my comment. Armor on shoulders does not coverage make. I too feel she needs to be covered, no woman warrior fights in a swim suit. I asked the purpose of the jacket which in a fight would get in the way. Next perhaps don't make an assumption on someone's experience based upon a few lines in a comment field. I support women's rights and fight against misogyny for the women in my life and not.

December 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jungal

She just doesn't look epic. I think that instead of trying to make her look like today's girl or specifically – a dark haired Jennifer Aniston, they should of gone back to her amazon/greek mythology roots and made her costume more Greek soldier Gladiator-ish style... leather everywhere with the short leather clad skirt etc... they should of played with that sorta look... because truth be told, any given random amazon of Mythical background would NOT be embracing today's style and time...they'ld be disgusted by what we've become.

oh and Bring back the long flowing CURLY Gypsy style Hair please!

August 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DMin

The new WW, Adrianne with the greek name, fire here.. SHe's no WW.. fukgly!!! Get JENNY GOMEZ.. she's got the chest and the amazonian look, and she's much prettier. JENNY GOMEZ, check her out on youtube.. she's the Dominican show hostess.... JENNY GOMEZ FOR WW

April 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Desiree

Since a costume change is a great idea for Wonder Woman but that particular one is not that great, why don't the comic book industries have a world wide contest and have people submit ideas and have top artists show their ideas and then have people from all over the country and perhaps other places in the world vote for which costume they like best. Wonder Woman does need a fresh look for our modern times its just that particular look does not do her justice.

February 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Desiree

I somewhat like the costume change because it is nice to see different perspectives of a beloved superhero even though I personally do not like the style because she does not look like an amazon. Wonder Woman needs to change and evolve in order to appeal to our modern and ever changing world. It would be nice if Wonder Woman appealed to all women and girls and people in general all over the world. Having an American patriotic costume definately limits her appeal, and I am saying this as an American and as a big wonder woman fan.I love what Wonder Woman represents such as gender equality and strength in women, what she wears is not nearly as important as what she represents, what it is more important is that her costume reflects her characteristics and ideals. Wonder Woman first comic books came out in the 40's during World War 2 and she was depicted fighting against nazis the same as Superman which is why they had the patriotic suits. However neither Wonder Woman or Superman are Americans, Wonder Woman is Greek and Superman is Kryptonian. World War 2 is over and I think it helps if great superheroes have universal appeal like my favorite superhero Batman, and so a costume change is a great idea. Wonder Woman should keep the double W's symbol and maybe have a modern spin on the amazon warrior clothing and add colors symbols weapons etc that are linked to goddess symbols as Wonder Woman mythos is based on Greek mythology. Wonder Woman is a goddess as she was created by and was given the powers of the gods and her image should reinforce that, her image should reflect all the strength, beauty, and power of a goddess. That would be my personal perspective of wonder woman and when a superhero has such a massive appeal it is a sign of flattery that people would want to have that appeal carry on. Like everything else in the world, evolution is necessary for her character to flourish. Catwoman also has undergone many costume changes and it has improved the evolvement of her character, if she kept her silver age costume her character would have never flourished through the decades.

February 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SMR

I admit that Wonder Woman's costume needs a change, but I feel they went in the wrong direction. They really should get rid of the jacket because it makes her look way too juvenile, like an angry confused teen with a large chip on her shoulders and her "W" marked bracelets seem incredibly tacky (like Adam West Batman) though J. Michael Straczynski stated that HE wanted a more modern "street fighter" look. Unfortunately, this is a look that belonged and stayed in the 90's. I found it very hard to take her seriously because she doesn't quite portray that classic sense of maturity, self-confidence, and pride that I found so appealing with the classic look.

If they really wanted a new look to succeed, then maybe they should have her costume look more like that of an ancient Greek Warrior. Lose the pants and give her Pteryges (armored leather pleats) with a signature belt and tall light-armored boots (still show the skin of her legs and shoulders, just not all of it, to really help define her physic). This could help give more to the respect that she IS a proud Amazon and warrior because with the new look, we only have her word that she is an Amazon, not the visual portrayal, which is very important for any super hero.

The new look could possibly work if they got RID of the jacket (it's just too juvenile, would work for Wonder Girl, though) made a few tweaks to the cuirass, brought back a tweaked version of her tall boots, and did away with the "W"s on her fists (way too tacky).

November 25, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. bac

You guys need to go back to the drawing board. A "new" version needs to carry enough of the old elements into the new to create continuity and respect the history of the character. Change is inevitable, but this isn't change...it's destruction of a legend. Wake up and get it right!

November 8, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. JF

Now Black Canary can say "huh, that look is very nice Diana, but you forgot the fishnet stockings."

November 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vittorio

Killing a character to generate sales and "resurrecting" them has been done many times over, from Superman to Magneto. Changing an Iconic character's costume has the same effect. The buzz generates talk which translates to increased sales.I got tired of being taken for a ride so I decided to stop collecting comics 15 years ago.

The last time I read a Woman Woman comic was 17 years ago, and I can recall that there have been past attempts at changing her costume. After a couple of months, the classic bustier/hotpants suit comes back.

Before the costume change, has any one here actually BOUGHT and READ a Woman Woman comic book or even talked about her?Case Closed.

October 31, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Brandon

Wonder Woman is an AMAZON (PERIOD)! STOP messing with the classics. First we had to put up with Superman in a rubber looking suit with a wimpy "S" thanks to Bryan Singer, now this! Dianna Prince can be the modern "2010" look but don't mess with the suit as we ALL know it! It is the suit and her armor that transform this goddess of an Amazon into the WONDER WOMAN we know. I personally hate all the "reboots" on classic super heroes. The comics seem to be doing this all the time and for someone at my age; its tiring. LEAVE WONDER WOMAN ALONE!

July 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bruce Wayne

You're all missing the point. It doesn't matter one iota if this new costume sticks. What matters is, it's gotten people talking about Wonder Woman again. That's what's up.

July 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Saluki Rod

Bring back Linda Carter! Homina homina homina.........!

July 7, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rianna

NOOOOOOOOOOO! >_< DC people you are JERKS. There's no WONDER WOMAN in that clothing!! I want my Diana back! DX

July 6, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Robert

What a travisty. I Love Wonder Woman and can only imagine the millions of others that do to. Why do you want to change a Icon such as her. Biker jacket whats with that! I understand the new outfit was by influance of the artists a Koriean, girlfriend, (not that there is anything wrong with korieas). how rediculas! DC comics must be owned by the korieans, gone are the stars on the amazing blue hot pants and the red bustier. What a sad sad day!

July 4, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. Linda

Its so amazing how people who don't have the slightest idea about Wonder Woman can be so opinionated about her. Stop BEING controlled by the media and GO BY THE COMIC AND READ IT. Then come back and judge stop being ignorant.

July 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Melissa

They should have learned their lesson from the "Coke Classic" fiasco. Not everybody is EVER going to like your product. The very essence of iconography is the attempt to stay as close as possible to the original superhero, be it Jesus Christ, or the "mild-mannered reporter of a great Metropolitan newspaper" (I'm not as familiar with the mythology of the Wonder Woman" character). While each successive generation may prefer to image its superheroes differently, why not just invent a new one? I guess modern times are too wimpy to generate an outstanding female character, and Hillary Clinton's "fellowship of the traveling pantsuit" is abut REAL women doing the impossible!

July 3, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Go read the comic the whole story is being taken out of context by all the news stations. All of you are overreacting and 99% of you dont even read Wonder Woman comics

July 3, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Edwina

What's next? Ripping off Superman's "S"? Cutting Batman's ears off his mask and making his cape into a tutu? (Ok, that blowup is out of the way. :) Wonder Woman has survived drastic clothing changes in the past but she always find her way back to the familiar image we love. I have collected the comic book since 1969 so I have experience a number of them along with her. Tiara, bracelets, magic lasso, patriotic costume all on an immortal beautiful amazon. What more could you ask for? Change isn't always good, but she's faced it before and I'm sure that as long as she remains at DC Comics she will face it again. What is it they say? Clothes make the man? Well Wonder Woman will continue no matter what they stick her in.

July 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Arend

I will admit that it's an uncomfortable change. But did all you haters forget about batman beyond? Artists have been trying to give the clasics new looks for the new milenium for years now, and 9 times ou of 10 they've failed miserably. So if you don't like it, just don't look at it; and if you do like it, get as much WW stuff you can with the new look, because chances are it isn't going to be around for long. It's really just that simple people.

July 2, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. zryson

I think its terrible to see "the changes" DC have ordered for Wonder Woman. What is wrong with proudly displaying the patriotism of her adopted country? Seems to me that maybe managment at DC feel that the flag is something to be ashamed of and that to revitalize Wonder Woman they have to take everything wonderful out of the character. Just my thoughts.

July 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Linda

It's SO sad that Wonder Woman can not change at all.... You so called Fans who probably don't even buy her comics... believe WW is just a costume. Why dont you all go buy the Comic before you comment....99% of you have no idea what you are talking about. Your ignorance is KILLing the characters ability to grow...WW is more then her just her costume. Ond day you will wake up and she will be GONE because of all your whining!

July 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. J

The pants wouldn't be so bad if they had kept the red and white boots. Also, the jacket needs to go.

July 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kent

Get Wonder Woman Back In her old costume

July 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Patrick

To all the haters – do any of you all even GET Wonder Woman the comic?

From what I understand, this is part of a story arc in which she is supposed to be more clandestine. Spangled hot pants aren't exactly stealthy.

July 2, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  25. Diana

I am immensely disappointed in this new character that has taken over for Wonder Woman. New look, new background, it is not the same Wonder Woman. I was named after Wonder Woman , this really hurts me.

July 2, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  26. Avirra

It looks like she raided Wonder Girl's closet and took something from the eighties. Who wears studded denim anymore? And spurs? Are they going for a Grecian Urban Cowboy look here? Ugh. Also hate the choker – looks like she stole that one from Black Canary. I guess my biggest complaint is that it looks like an updated Wonder Girl costume and not an undated Wonder Woman costume.

July 2, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Michelle

I HATE IT!! Why mess with a good thing?!?!?!

July 2, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  28. goblueadam

We all know this change is for the quick buck, and a quick sales buzz. But why is it that everybody from this generation feels they have destroy and change tv or comic icons? Most of this change is written and done by people with NO SEASONING IN LIFE, understanding of the character or story, and seems like it done over lunch at Starbucks. Wonder Woman is an American Icon, and you don't mess with icons too much or you end up like the idiots who changed Coke, into New Coke, and had to go back to Old Coke. If you look at all the comics in the store with women on the cover, THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. But now, so does our beloved Wonder Woman. Use the Lynda Carter version, and you just will not fail! What's next guys, a pink Statue of Liberty in a lycra bodysuit?

July 2, 2010 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
    • goblueadam

Oh yea, does anybody remeber the comic character of Vampirella? Well, when they made the movie, they changed her costume, and the movie can now be found at the dollar store, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. And do you remember the 70's tv Wonder Woman with Kathy Lee Crosby, with WW in jacket top and boots. Well, that version successfully died a quick and painful death, until Lynda Carter and other cartoon versions came along. So to the artist and writers of Wonder Woman, keep the new outfit as an alternate or regular street outfit for Diana. But when it comes time for her to go to her real job, it's time for the red white and blue with the bird on the chest, and not some crap. Just ask the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Braves, Raiders, Rangers, Canadians, and Red Wings how they feel about idiots wanting to change their iconic uniforms?

July 2, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. MrsThing

Lynda Carter and her costumes will always and forever be the only Wonder Woman. This new costume is irrelevant. One thing's for sure: If they do a movie with Wonder Woman in a different costume such as this, it will fail. Why doesn't Hollywood (and comics artists) realize that when you take away what we know and love about a character, there's nothing left for fans? It's quite simple, really...but is always lost in remakes.

July 2, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nina

I don't like the legging because I hate it when girls wear leggings like that now! I like Wonder Woman to show a bit of her great legs!

July 2, 2010 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  31. Shirotsu Lhadatt

Just make Wonder Woman naked from now on, that way nobody can argue as to whether or not they like her costume! ;p

July 2, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  32. stephanie

I absolutely despise us. I think there's a reason Wonder Woman hasn't been messed with since (1941) with the exception of one purple sweater mishap. She looks like a depressed high school student...except held back a few years... they need to bring the REAL Wonder Woman back!

July 2, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jeremy

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the costume. What idiot thought this up?

July 2, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Hey Jeremy why don't you read Wonder Woman 600 and stop being ignorant

July 2, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sandra

I think she needs to stay looking unique. If I was to see the comic covers of her looking like this, I probably wouldn't know its a Wonder Woman Comic.

July 2, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  35. thomasjs

On the plus side this costume would be a bit more practical for the Wonder Woman movie that is in development.

July 2, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  36. Amazon1

love it

July 1, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Eric

This Stinks so much!!!, at least you could of updated her costume with something sensible.... the jacket is for what??... she the most powerful female in the DC Universe... she can fly into space for gods sake!!! A Members only jacket or something from the Lane Bryant collection give me a break!!!!

July 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  38. old time WW fan

i too was dismayed to see the changes made to one of comics most readily identified superheroes.
    yes other heroes have their costumes changed/updated sometimes extremely so. Just look at the
    character of Logan/Weapon X/Wolverine but each change still fit the FEEL of the character. Even
    captain America's changes again sometimes looking drastic were still fitting of the FEEL of his
    character. and to comment on an earlier post, yeah she IS an Amazon they need to keep that as
    part of her character/costume not IMO make her look like they took a rejected costume change for
    Rogue from X-Men which is whom I think of when seeing this new costume. Hopefully they will
    change her back sooner rather than later but who knows sometimes things change but not always
    for the better. I'd like to say in closing that yeah they have every right to update their characters as
    they see fit but they should also take into consideration that it is US the public that buys their comics
    and changes so severe don't normally go over well. more thought should have been put into her
    changes. maybe have made it a mini-series with a couple different options and see which new
    outfit change people gravitated more to? that way we could see the options instead of this UN Wonder Woman
    look that she now has .

July 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Admin

She wears pants to hide her Varicose Veins, she is really old you know...

July 1, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. khayal101

it will be gone soon enough I'll just have to wait it out, unless they use this design for a movie, so if the movie uses this design and fails then I garentee they'll give the fans what they want. I wish they would show reactions that dont make us sound like whiney fanboys missing hotpants, they took a characters iconic look away so fast at least make subt;e changes god!

July 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. manman

this is just silly. It will be gone in a year... just like blue super man, black costume spiderman, azriel/batman. the biggest problem is that the costume is a complete miss fire. if you are going to change a cultural icon, get a top designer to make the change. don't leave it up to a nerd with a drawing table.

July 1, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Michael

I don't get what the point of doing this was. Some things just aren't meant to be messed with – and an iconic character like Wonder Woman is one of them. It's one thing to reboot a movie or TV franchise, but it's a completely different thing to redesign an icon of American pop culture. http://www.thesmogger.com

July 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mountain made

Its time that she came into the 21st century, as a superhero, not a pinup piece of fluff from the 40's. Much more reflective of the modern female.

July 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Comic Book Fans

Wonder Woman now looks like a fugitive Marvel comics fashionista barbie doll- not the powerful amazon of DC lore. By the way- you cant effectively fight in skin tight slacks and a matching jacket! My daughter and wife are very upset- bring back the classic patriotic outfit least you loose 4 dedicated fans.

July 1, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Exactly!! I think she looks like Hoodlum!

July 2, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • dajackg

"You can't effectively fight in skin tight sliacks and a matching jacket!"

Um... and what life experience has made you an authority on this? :-) It's a COMIC, you know... and have you not noticed that skin tight clothes are de rigeur for pretty much every other superhero in the Marvel and DC pantheons? I'm not crazy about the new look either, but it's nice for once to see a female hero that isn't stuck in a skimpy costume for the benefit of pubescent boys. How much fighting could you do in a bustier, hot pants and big red boots?

July 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. paulawestla

Where's the BOOTS?! And the Lasso of Truth?! Lose the jacket! Put the boots back on her and lose the jacket then add the lasso and maybe we might like it. Maybe!

July 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mina

Are you blind? The lasso is on her hip. Glowing and everything. She has boots too, they match the paints. What do you think those things on her feet are? Clogs? The jacket has shoulder armor, something which any amazon would need on breezy nights as opposed to stupid starry hotpaints made for the simple appeal of 40s and 50s cheesecake. Wonderwoman is human, has no mutant or otherworldly superpowers and needs to start dressing for the part.

October 27, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  45. good stuff

it will go back.

July 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ShawnJ

Hate the jacket (what purpose does it serve?) Where's the stars? And hello, the red/white boots are signature. I'm all for updating a uniform but it has to maintain some continuity. Similar how Superman & Batman's have changed, they remain within the signature. Go back to the drawing board people, she's bigger than this and deserves better.

July 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mina

You obviously dont read the comics. Her jacked has shoulder armor on it. Armor. And coverage. Something of which is way more practical than hot-pants and old fashions braziers. When you consider she is merely human, no super powers, her current costume beats the old one on all levels besides boohoo Im traditionalist and cant subscribe to the times. Almost every male superhero has gotten a costume update for suitability and practicality. I guess you think all the femles should continue waltzing around in something that can barely pass for acceptable in most climates let alone societies? Face it. Comic book heroes have matured. Shouldn't the people who read them?

October 27, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  47. Ana Regina Souza

I think I don't like new costume Super heroine ... Was rídicula

I really enjoyed dresses classics like blue-red-gold-silver bracelets.

July 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Michael

So Only male hero Costume can change look at how different Batman and Superman have gotten since their debut

July 1, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Matt

Out with the red white and blue. In with the red and yellow. Conspiracy theory ? Communist Victory? ?????????

July 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

haha that made me lol
      But they did do a complete redo of her costume, I don't like it.

July 2, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Arend

The yellow was always there, and incase you didn't notice hey moved the blue & white to the jacket

July 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arend

the red was also always there

July 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Karen

Hate it! Very non-Wonder Woman-esque. Shiny starry hotpants are her calling card. Quit messing with the classics.

July 1, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • carole

November 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • carole

I agree with Karen. WW was and is an Amerian icon just as she is! Leave her costume alone. It's actually cool to see the retro look on her. Superman didn't change his costumew nor did Batman. This is my first ane only entry.

November 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |