June 30th, 2010

Lauryn Hill breaks her silence

Over the past decade or so since “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” was released, every so often you would see an article or blog post questioning, “What ever happened to Lauryn Hill?”

Thanks to NPR chasing down the rapper/singer outside of a concert in Santa Rosa, California, now we can know from Hill herself.

“There were a number of different reasons,” Hill said of why she seemed to simply disappear from everything: from performing, from making music - virtually from sight. "But partly, the support system that I needed was not necessarily in place. There were things about myself, personal-growth things, that I had to go through in order to feel like it was worth it.”

During her time away from the spotlight, it sounds like Hill came to the realization that she had, as she put it, to protect the gift that has influenced so many.

“I think if I was created with such power or an ability, then what's also been put in me is the blueprint for the responsibility part, as well,” Hill said. “I have to take care of myself in order to take care of this gift, which has affected so many. I don't treat it lightly. It's important to me to be healthy and to be whole."

That protection, however, wasn’t easily found within her industry.

“In fact, as musicians and artists, it's important we have an environment — and I guess when I say environment, I really mean the [music] industry, that really nurtures these gifts," she said. "Oftentimes, the machine can overlook the need to take care of the people who produce the sounds that have a lot to do with the health and well-being of society, or at least some aspect of society. And it's important that people be given the time that they need to go through, to grow, so that the consciousness level of the general public is properly affected.”

A lot has changed for Hill over the years – she’s had five kids, she points out, with her youngest, now 2 years of age, just reaching the point where she can be left alone for a bit and be okay. That’s one of the reasons Hill has started to sporadically pop up on stages again, but also, she just thinks it’s time.

“I'm starting to get excited again," Hill told NPR. "Believe it or not, I think what people are attracted to about me, if anything, is my passion. People got exposed to my passion through music and song first. I think people might realize, you know, 'We love the way she sounds, we love the music, but I think we just love how fearless she is. How boundless she is, when it comes to what she wants to do.' And I think that can be infectious."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Niki

I also want to add that people who feel like they "know" these entertainers need to step away slow from all media and get a reality check. Stop trying to explain everyone else's behavior and/or motives for doing things and examine your own.

August 18, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Niki

I think it's awesome that despite the things that are being said (still, to this day) about Lauryn, she is still capable of making her own choices. Although we miss her presence on stage and in he studio, she continues to do what's best for her and her family.

August 18, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Will

I think we forget artists are people too. How can you say you hope her children starve? The hatred in some of your hearts is saddening. I personally love her music. She makes mistakes too, so let her live. And think about yourselves before passing judgement.

July 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Corey

I don't understand. If you have children, and your a singer/artist, then whats the problem with wanting to sing, so you can get paid, so you can take care of your kids. I'm sure those of you with jobs and kids work to take care of your kids. I'm not saying she needs money, but if she does, who cares. So does everyone else on the planet, especially those with responsibilities such as children. Am i missing something? As far as the "white people buying her music" comment, she may have said it, like you've never said anything stupid that you regret in your life. Why is it that we as people are so judgemental when we are all going through the same thing, its called life. Celebrities unfortunatley put themselves under a microscope so we can attempt to pick apart thier lives and not take a good look at our own. Furthermore, if more artists took more responsibility for the way they affect society, especially the younger generation, then the content of hip-hop/r&b music would be drastically, and i mean drastically different from what it is today. Finally, if you think her unplugged album was garbage, you don't have "ears to here". WAKE UP PEOPLE

June 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Julie

I have always loved Lauren Hill's voice. I have always hated her arrogance and self-righteousness. I take the good with the bad. I'll still listen to her music, and will look for her CD. I don't necessarily have to like her as a person to like her as an artist.

June 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Realist

When will black people and white trash learn.. stop having so many kids and you wont be broke. And its not an urban legend. She thinks everyone will just forget. I hope her kids do starve. If "your people" are so beautiful then go back to africa.

June 30, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

It's always better to remain silent, and have people think you a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt. You, my friend, just removed all doubt.

June 30, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist

Ok, troll.. Get a life hippie.

June 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Hahah. once again, you've proven my point. Way to go.

June 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fat Albert

Hey mamaba, whyba dontcha beba coola bahuma?

June 30, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KC

Lauryn has been battling with both mental and emotional issues for several years now. Everyone basing their opinions from an article are totally off base. To all her true fans please pray for Lauryn Hill.

June 30, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lorin

I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy someone's CD if they said that they didn't want a white person buying their album. I don't care how great their voice is.

June 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Please, please do some research. She never said that. You make yourself look stupid when you repeat a rumor, and ignorance is very ugly.

June 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Neo-

Kudos to Miss Hill; in the world that they live in, it is not an easy thing to get back up when you have hit rock bottom. It takes courage and endurance because she has to deal with comments and negative perceptions from the JIMRE's of this world. Let her have her fifteen minutes of fame if that is all it will sir come to, excuse the spelling if misspelled. I just want to get this over and done with. I am sick and tired of "wannabe" and "fountains of all knowledges" that are never out of opinions and never put themselves in other people's shoes. Here people that run into her on a regular basis are saying that she is cool, for lack of a better word. So what gives others the right to judge her; bleeding imbeciles.

June 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. albert

i love lauren hill. i live a town away from her and have seen her in the grocery store. she's cool and it's good that she has gotten herself back to where she needs to be so she can share that remarkable talent again. as she said, "how you gonna win when you ain't right within?" – not that i speak ebonics because i don't but i get the message.

June 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stefonte swang

What you all fail to realize is that she was 23 (A BABY) when Miseducation came out. Wyclef was doing her and her mind a few years before that and she began dating Marley and got pregnant (1998). Couple that with pressure of superstardom and anyone would leave the business after that experience. At least she had the wherewithall to step back. Considering that she has been a 'house wife' all these years and out of 'the business' you wouldn't expect her to know how to do anything but raise a family and sing (not give great interviews). I do feel that the business of music has passed for her because time has changed. Can she spark a revolution in her music? if not then its the neo-soul route.

June 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Christy

Does she still hate white people?

June 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sir Loin of Beef

She be smokin' the ganja man, and the simple truth is that the chick can't hold da smoke, dats wot it is!

June 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. zach chease

She's got every right to take time off and take care of herself. Screw everybody else. Gaaaaaaah!

June 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rob C.

She's got the crazy eyes.

June 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jimre

The egotistical ramblings of an overrated has-been. She's back? Great, now she can rip off some more true artists by stealing their melodies and lyrics and pretending she's doing something unique. The Fugees were Wyclef, the others were just window dressing. A gift from God? Pfft, she sounds like every other wannabe diva. Nothing new, nothing sincere, nothing of substance. One can only hope her second grasp at her 15 minutes is over quickly and she can go back to living the life of obscurity she so richly deserves.

June 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neo-

I personally am not a fan, but if some one can have this much influence on the world's minds she deserves some respect. The only down side to all this is that she did not value her power of influence. I mean look at Miss Jolie. She is using her power to the fullest right now. I am not saying that everyone should be Mother Teressa encarnate but when minds are influenced by you or rather your stature then you should "poise" that stature in a certain manner. That being said you still have no right to disrespect the icon that is Miss Hill.

June 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Alex

Lauryn Hill couldn't carry Erykah Badu's jock!

June 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jango Davis

Never heard of her...

June 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Groove

She is married to freakin Bob Marley's son...she doesn't need the money. Nor will her kids or gandkids.

June 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jango Davis

Being teh son of a famous person doesn't make you rich. Rohan has a number of business ventures, which usually means one things, he's either over-extended his business credit lines or is using his own family funds to fund his ventures, not the profits from his business. Unless anyone's looked at their financials, no one knows if they need money or not. I suspect she's just a middle-aged woman looking to recapture her lost youth after cranking out five kids in 8 years.

June 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Groove

Jango...it might not necessarily make you rich, but dammit, it usally does.

June 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Miseducated

So what if she is racist? Isn't everyone?

June 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ciemma

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp and WHY would it matter if she only came back for the money? I dont understand why people say that. True or not... so??? Is it entertainment for you? Yes. Hollywood only makes movies for the money so are you not going to see them?

June 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Totally agree. She could come back for whatever reasons she wants to. If I was broke and had a voice like hers, I'd make a comeback too. If I wasn't broke and had that voice, I'd make a comeback. Thanks for that link, too, there are a lot of people who still stupidly hang on to that rumor.

June 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Meltorme

I'm sorry Lauren Hill...I can't hear you because your eyebrows are so bushy.

June 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. K-Kae27

MS. Hill is and always will be one of the greatest voices of our time! I am SO excited for her to come out with a new album, its been way to long and her fans have been waiting with anticipation for years. If its anything like miseducation it will surely be a hit! Welcome back Lauryn your fans have missed you!

June 30, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Mr. D

She can't stand white people.....

June 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. L Jay in Houston

I would agree that sometimes accolades stated coming from the sources mouth make them difficult to hear, even when we agree with them. She is right in what she says, would "feel" better coming from someone else. But, it doesn't make it less true. And when you are a performer, a certain amount of arrogance is necessary for survival. We can be heard acknowledging our talent and being lambasted as arrogant. But, when you come from a board meeting and say "damn, I give amazing proposals", you are simply bolstering yourself and others likely agree.

To the white people rumors. I did investigate this, because while I love Lauren Hill, I simply couldn't buy anymore of her music, if it were true – no debate, no quarter given. But..... http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp ..... it is not true.

June 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cassandra

Ms. Lauryn Hill had a huge impact on my life, at time I felt downright hopeless. Her music inspired me and gave me hope and direction. Her voice is unique and beautiful. Her message was for me and what I was going through at the time. So for her to recognize she has a great gift and a responsibilty, she is absolutely right. People seemed to be angered when others are aware of who they for the good or bad. When you know yourself, you are able to speak realistically and confidently about who you are and what you represent. She isn't arrogant; she's aware of who she is. I love Lauryn Hill and I am definetly awaiting her next endeavor. I hope she continues to reflect on her struggles and her victories. That was the thing that help me become more aware of who I was at that time in my life. Do what you do, girl. Be You!

June 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Robert

All singers sound the same (I should not even call them singers). I credit black musicians for some of the best music worldwide, but they've sure have sunk low with this Rap-Hip-Hop-Crap!

June 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grooove

Word? Most rap albums are so to teen-age white boys. Go to your local "mall record store' and see who is in the rap section.

June 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lboogie12

Being that I've gotten my nick name from her...I don't think it's necessarily the money that is bringing her back. As someone said before she's married to one of the Marleys & more than likely still making money off of Sister Act 2, Fugees, Miseducation & songs she has done for movie soundtracks...she is what's missing in the R&B realm of music. I know a lot of people I associate with loves her music & is hoping she really does make it a comeback. She might have made racist remarks in the past but hell look at John Mayer...he has a racist thing...never apologized for it either. But I know people appreciate his music abilities, so they still support him regardless. But as a fan of hers I hope she comes out with a cd that can compare to Miseducation...

June 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Newsgirl

I think everyone blasting her for being full of herself are hilarious! Who isn't that way in the entertainment industry? They are few. Get over yourselves. You write as if you are then better than her......and so what if she did need the money? If you weren't working and needed money......would you go back to work? You people are seriously demented.

June 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. shirley

She look like (GLADY KNIGHT.

June 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

No I don't. You must be one of those white people that think all black people look alike.

June 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jared

"I think people might realize, you know, 'We love the way she sounds, we love the music, but I think we just love how fearless she is. How boundless she is, when it comes to what she wants to do.' And I think that can be infectious."

Seriously? Wow talk about ego. How about "I think people might realize I'm completely unstable, they likely still remember the racist remarks I used to make, I miss being in the spotlight, I have violated the terms of numerous concert contracts over the past few years, my eyebrows are awful and I think that can be revolting." No thanks Lauryn, no one missed you.

June 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ral

Looking at the amount of comments here (negative and positive), I think Miss Hill has been missed. I look forward to hearing from her again.

June 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  33. sonylegend

is it about the music or the appearance of the artist? I thought the message of the music was #1 priority.

June 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. anonymous

One of the reasons she also stepped away from music was due to many a mental breakdown. She was unfit and had breakdowns on stage at concerts. She was reportedly broke, having only the one good album (outside of the Fugees). She was living with her mother at one point. And while she's married to Marley's son, he doesn't get any royalties, as all the money earned from Bob Marley's music goes to his foundation, (the Marley Foundation). She has tried going to the recording studio to come up with another album–but due again to breakdowns, the songs haven't been recorded yet. She's plum crazy, and it's unfortunate. I dunno if she'll be able to battle her demons.

June 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DLC

I love Lauryn Hill she has great vocals....

June 30, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Lauryn

No fool, I have a great voice. I have great vocal range. Get it right. You must be white!

June 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. KO

I like that she takes responsibility for her influence on society. She may sound full of herself, but she is actually being very selfless and has genuine concern for making a positive impact on people. Entertainers like Miley Cyrus are the selfish ones because they refuse to care about the messages they are sending; it's all about "me, me, me, I do what I want and f*** everyone else."

June 30, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  37. Special K

Bob Marley had a ton of children, so I highly doubt Rohan Marley is "rolling in dough", as people think. To leave The Fugies permanently was not a wise choice. Five kids in 10 years? Whoa! She needs to really think about those starving, talented artists, who wish the industry would notice them; possibly then, she won't take her career for granted – especially since it puts food on the table for she, her "husband", and her children...if she wants some quick money, plan a Fugies reunion...

June 30, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  38. 125

Looks like she needs money – not only for those kids, but for an eyebrow wax!

June 30, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jennifer

Oh leave Lauryn alone. Last time I checked musical artists were not egoless individuals like all the haters posting on here obviously must be. Her unplugged album was actually really good- she allowed us in to her personal world and also had some really good songs and hooks (All Fall Down, I Get Out). It was cool to be able to experience that intimacy with an artist. I can't wait to hear her new stuff. Hate-on Haters!

June 30, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  40. One

Yeah....ummmm me think she be smelling her own stank. Love L-Boogie but this God-complex she's working with is borderline insane. She bailed out because she's a brat. She felt like her lable wasn't supporting her Unplugged album and with good reason. She insisted on minimal oversight and complete control over the writing. What she produced was a garbage record that no one wanted. She got mad at her management, mad at her "support structure", and even mad at her FANS for not buying that emotional trainwreck. I hope she steps back in grounded and with some sense of humility but by the sound of it...that might be as far-fetched a notion as a repeat of Miseducation.

June 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  41. Robert

She's still waaayyy too full of herself. That she somehow needed to take care of her "gift" that has influenced so many is laughable. Err, shouldn't the public let you know if you've influenced them to that level and not yourself spouting that off in an interview? Check your ego at the door please & get over yourself.

June 30, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  42. EP

LH coming back is cool but sometimes success has averything to do with timing. LH benefited from a lot of talented artisits around her who may not be avaliable this time around? Anita Baker took time off for a husband and family and is still trying to claw her way back. Maxwell was able to do it but everyone cant always come back to the same status they left.

June 30, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  43. Sabrina

I thought her absence was closely related to her obvious mental instability, but hey.

June 30, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  44. indythinker

Lauryn Hill is a racist, she said she would rather that her children starve that have white people buy her CD's. i say let her and her children starve.

June 30, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter

That is just an urban myth and completely false. Check it out yourself: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp

June 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • King

She said it. To all those linking the snopes article, if it's on the internet, "It must be true." right?

July 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. beckster

Wow. How arrogant. I really enjoyed her music, but I don't think I'll be to hear it again without thinking about her ugly ego.

June 30, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. Trollolo

She is remarkably unpleasant in person, with en extraordinarily inflated ego, to the point of delusions of grandeur. She needs to be in therapy. It's why people were unwilling to work with her. And she has an uncanny ability to belittle and demean people, as though she has the final say in her imaginary "fiefdom". And God help you if you're white....

June 30, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  47. CATom

"the support system that I needed was not necessarily in place" – ie she cant afford to hire songwriters, musicians, dancers, costume designers, personal assistants, dog walkers, personal cooks, drivers, etc.

June 30, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Wilson

No, everyone who was a part of her personal life left when she was going through many different issues. Some of the people who left her alone actually did radio interviews saying that she needs professional help and there's nothing they can do for her. Those were supposed to be her friends. She was left alone at her darkest hour, that's why she says she didn't have her support system. If your friends left you and told anyone who would listen that you were having a mental breakdown and they can't help you, wouldn't you also feel abandoned?

June 30, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  48. TeeCee

I wish people would stop with the ignorant Lauryn Hill hates white people bull – she never said it! Snopes.Com is your friend.
    That being said, what's so wrong with understanding your gift as an artist? I don't take her manner as conceit, but rather as knowing her talent, asking to be respected, and responding to how people were pulling her in a zillion different directions. Do I think she's a few bricks short of a full wall? Probably – but aren't many other artists?

June 30, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  49. Coolpeeps

Wow! all these posts and no one really understood what she was really trying to say in the article! If you read/hear closely to Lauren's comments, you would understand that she was alluding to how sick the music industry really is. They pimp out artists and try to make you something that you're really not. She was trying to protect her sanity by staying away for awhile. But most people wouldn't know the sacrifices and the selling of one's soul a lot of these artist, actors, musician have to endure to become famous and rich. I applaud her for telling the truth and staying true to herself and her family. Even though as a fan I miss her work! If it was about the money, she could have easily put out a commercialized album.

June 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I'm so sick of these pretentious artists who walk around acting like they are the only real artists trapped in a world of commercial hell. Some artists are meant to be more successful than others. Some artists music speak to people more than others. Why is that a bad thing? I personally don't like social commentary to my music and Lauryn while gifted took herself too seriously in my opinion and couldn't handle the success and lost it. I personally could care less if she records or not but Miseducation album was fake because she had 5 kids with a married man. So Lauryn didn't follow her own advice on the record. Maybe she should do a record of what happened to her and why she went crazy when she became successful. Ask Wyclef, even he says Lauryn is nuts. I used to like her but she seems to think that the industry needs to take care of her. Look, life is hard for everyone and no matter what you do for a living you have to take responsibilty for yourself and how you handle what comes. Just saying.

June 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. white choc

Get over yourself Lauryn! She's a great artist who made one of the greatest albums of all time but I think she let all that acclaim and success get to her head. She said she's grown but she's obviously not grown humble. She sounds so full of herself. It's not like she wrote all those songs on her own anyway. I see what Pras was talking about. She's so talented but she's so gone.

June 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  51. scottie

I still keep Miseducation in rotation. There's a message in every song and has substance...which can't be said for ALOT of the so -called Hip-hop music that's out today. She's still relevant today as she was in 98-99. "Forgive them Father" needs to be blasted in some of these studios and record companies so these artists can have great inspiration, other than "bricks, bling, girls, and money". Though most is entertaining, they're jingles at best. What happened to the music that inspired, made sense, and reflected on more substantial ideas and perception? Maybe it's just me being a true 80's baby, but LH's Miseducation still does something to my soul...it makes it feel good! Everyone have an extraordinary day!! Peace.

June 30, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  52. Cat

I remember hearing some years ago that she had a mental breakdown or some such. And after reading this article, I believe it.

June 30, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  53. NottyD

I'm glad she's finally coming back into the spotlight. It maybe proves that everything happened too fast to begin with. Coming from the Fugees and having tremendous success in her solo career may have been a burden instead of a blessing. Other artists such as Alicia Keys and Beyonce did have a support system which Lauryn claims wasn't in place so it does play a huge role in being a huge music artist. I would definitely support a come back from Lauryn!

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  54. D

Sounds like she's still full of herself and nothing has changed.

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  55. TJ

I think Maxwell and Sade may have sat out 10yrs for the same reason. Welcome back Lauren!!

June 30, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  56. Stormchylde

Her being a musician doesn't take away the fact that she's a human being. If she needs the money who cares? If Wyclef can ask 100k to do a "charity" concert for Haiti how is that any better? They're human with human frailty. I waited for Sade to put out an album after a long lay off and it was worth the wait. Laurn deserves the same chance. If I was her I wouldn't have left on tour until I knew my children could handle it either. Let's be real as this blog has proven, no one cares if her household falls apart or if her children are traumatized, they just care about if she satisfies their expectations... As many of you have stated its a business, but part of business is quality of life and work/life balance.

June 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  57. yikes

I'm a huge fan, but good gawd girlfriend, do something with those eyebrows!

June 30, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  58. Shannon

Ms. Hill clearly dealt with some severe mental symptoms over the years but sounds clear, coherent and confident in this article. It sounds like she has stabilized and is taking care of herself. I hope whatever she does is low-key and satisfying to her before anyone. Not everyone can be a global icon, in fact, in terms of mental health, it's not good for anyone.

June 30, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  59. ken

i've been awaiting her return, it's good to see she that she knows what she needs to do to keep herself maintained in order to do what she wants to do. i can't express how gr8 it feels to know that she's coming back. #thereturnofrealmusic, we need this!!!

June 30, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  60. Terrordome

Who cares if she needs money, or is doing it for the money. Just about everything we do as a people it's for the money, we live in a token base economy you wouldnt be able to brush your teeth or clip your toe nails without it.

June 30, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  61. A Ross

I read the NPR interview and enjoyed parts of it, but she's not God. Comparing meeting Lauryn Hill to Moses meetings with God in the Torah, is down right ignorant. She's an artist. She made one of the greatest albums of all times. She stopped making music because one company wasn't satisfying her needs? Go someplace else. Call her Ms. Hill? Sorry sista. I guess that's why I bought her stuff bootleg before I actually spent coin on the album. She's right, music hasn't changed.

June 30, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  62. Emily

To those saying she is doing it for the money: I highly doubt, after the enduring success of "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," that she has too much trouble paying the bills.

June 30, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  63. DivineMissW

I love Lauryn Hill's music!! She is a one of a kind talent. I am so glad she took whatever steps she needed to take to protect herself. SO many artist do not do this, (think Whitney Houston). The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is one of the greatest albums of all time. It shows her unique style and range.

Take your time Lauren, we are willing to wait!

June 30, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  64. Tammy

I like her music but she sounds just a off to the left and full of her self as she did the last time I read an interview with her. Her "growth" and "being whole" didn't come with modesty. No hesitations in tooting her own horn in this woman. I don't know how I feel about that. I still love her music and strangely I agree with her feelings of herself and the reasons for the effect of her music on people but when the accolades come from her mouth....the effect is just not right some how....

June 30, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  65. esquirrel

Five kids? That's the real reason for the 10 yr absence. Now she needs money for them, too..

June 30, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Yaadie

She does not need money. She is married to Rohan Marley. Her children are the grandchildren of Bob Marley. She has more money than she needs. It is the love of music why she is returning. Ignorance is a hell of a thing!

June 30, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Esh

Well said, Yaadie. Ms. Hill has lived modestly in Northern New Jersey for years and given the blockbuster success of both The Fugees and her solo career I'm sure she's not hurting for funds. How about giving this woman credit for having the sense to step back from a situation she saw as self-destructive? If or when she decides to reemerge on the music scene, I plan to welcome her with open arms. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't always about the money.

June 30, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth

Ignorance IS a Hell of a Thing. She was ignorant to the fact that it was white people who were buying her album. So she took a hiatus in hopes they would forget what she said. Now she hopes they will buy the new one. Ignorance is a funny thing. Ignorance....

June 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tman

@micle she never said that you idiot, it was just a rumor clearly shows how much you know bout her. you are just speaking of what you hear. IGNORANT!!!

June 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Daisy

y'all IGNANT!

June 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

@TheTruth: Ignorance is indeed a hell of a thing. Especally yours. How can someone be as stupid and as racist as you? Do us a favor and change your name-you wouldn't know the truth if it hit you upside your empty head.

June 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Facts

@Yaadie – she never married Marley. In fact, he is legally still married to his first wife (with whom he was still with when Ms. Hill got pregnant with kid #1).

June 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boof

Don't forget that big paycheck she gets evertime they show Sister Act II.

June 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • FELICIA

AS PEOPLE WE OFTEN GO THROUGH OBSTACLES IN OUR OWN LIFE NO MATTER WHAT OUR CARRERS ARE, WE SHOULD WANT TO SUPPROT EACH OTHER WITOUT GIVEN IT A THOUGHT . LIFE IS IS A BOUT LOVIN OUR BORTHERS & SISTERS EVEN IF U FELL THEY DON'T LOVE U, LET (GOD) DEAL WITH THERE HEART. SO MY QUESTION TO U ARE U GONNA DO THE RIGHT THING AND SUPPORT THE SISTER NO MATTER WHY SHE'S BEEN GONE FOR 10 YRS OR MORE WHAT DIFFERENT DOES IT MATTERS AND YES OF COURSE SHE NEEDS TO FEED AND TAKE CARE OF HER'S LIKE, WHAT IF U WERE IN HER SHOES LOOK @ IT THAT WAY BE BLESSED @ BECAREFUL HOW U TREAT PEOPLE (GOD ) IS WATCHIN U BE BLESSED AND OF COURSE I DO LOVE U AND UR RIGHT I DON'T KNOW U BUT I'M A CHILD OF (GOD) AND HE FIRST LOVED ME FIRST TAKE CARE.

August 31, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  66. J

Sounds like "Ms. Hill" is running low on funding and is attempting to "fill up" the tank.
    She needs to realize that the music industry is a business and as such is neither "structured" nor run for her liking.
    Hope she does well...but it's not looking promising.

June 30, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • James

While I was a big fan of "Miseducation...", and I will absolutely give her next album a chance, I've got to say: What an arrogant piece of work. Can you say "humble" – I never thought that you could! Oh yeah, the Unplugged album was horrible.

June 30, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Micle

Totally agree, she needs the funds. How ironic, if you recall many years ago, she said she would rather have her children starve than have her music purchased by white people. She has great music, however, the only way I would support her music is if there is a Fuggies reunion!!

June 30, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Gus

What nasty cynicism. It sounds to me–based on the words she said–that she was more interested in getting herself together as a human being than continuing to focus on being a pop star. I think that's both honorable and smart. Look at how crazy so many of her peers have ended up. You sideline critics never seem to give any consideration to the difficulties of being under the spotlight.

June 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

If she really needed the money she would have come back a long time ago and her come back would be a full fledge comeback and not sporadic appearances like this. Your just making up an excuse and a completely lame one at that. The woman has five kids that are growing up and she is probably tired of being around them all the time and missing the music.

June 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I agree with Gus...what nasty cynicism from the armchair critics, especally Micle, who comes off sounding like a racist and apparently doesn't know how to spell the name of Ms. Hill's former group, the FUGEES, correctly. Maybe, just maybe, getting one's self together as a human being takes precedence over putting out substandard material just for the sake of making a record. I admire Ms. Hill's artistic integrity and think her critics are dolts.

June 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeugino

Sam, is it racist to print someone else's racist comment?

June 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

To Micle, who claims that Lauryn Hill said she would rather have her children starve than have her music purchased by white people, well, that is just an urban myth and completely false. Check it out yourself: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp

June 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • halligan

can you say, "who cares?" She is so full of herself, clearly has lost perspective. Back to the shadows with you Miss Hill!

June 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |