June 30th, 2010

Actor vs. the iPhone line: Bateman apologizes

Update: Hopefully those who felt slighted in that iPhone line can now (finally) move on with their lives: Jason Bateman has apologized.

The actor has been caught in a back-and-forth with witnesses who claim Bateman was booed when he was escorted ahead of others in line outside of an Apple store last week, and when Bateman retorted via Twitter that there wasn’t a single “hiss” or “boo,” additional witnesses told Us Weekly that Bateman wasn’t telling the truth.

The 41-year-old actor has decided to put an end to it, tweeting late Tuesday, “Correction- If there were boos, I didn't hear them. If some were mad, I didn't see them. I wish I had. If you're out there, I'm sorry.”

Tuesday, Us Weekly unearthed morewitnesses, who not only adhere to the original story, but also add intriguing details.

According to Angela Mayhew, who was one of the first people to join the line at 3:30 a.m., Bateman arrived around 4:45 a.m. and at first stood with the rest of the regular folk.

At most, said another witness, there was one cameraman, who kept a good distance.

Mayhew told Us that around 10 a.m., Bateman was escorted into the store before everyone else.

“I heard commotion in the back. I thought someone was fighting,” Mayhew said. “Then he strolls right on by with the Genius Bar guys and suddenly people in my area started to yell, 'What the hell is going on?'"

Mayhew said the murmurs escalated with “passive-aggressive anger.”

“There was a chorus of boos and then people shouting, 'What?' and 'We've been here for hours!' We were patiently waiting before then [and] that just made everyone's blood boil," Mayhew told Us. And then, “people starting yelling at the Apple guys too.”

Well that we understand - those throwing jeers at the Apple guys had probably heard about the iPhone's poor reception.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Eric

He's a celebrity get over it. People are going to kiss his ass until the day he dies. If you were rich you'd be at the front of the line too.

June 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. C. Miller

@Shirley..he has made some really good stuff over the last few years including being in one of the best and smartest TV shows "Arrested Development" where he won an Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy..2005. He was in Couples Retreat last year with Vince Vaughn. Busy guy in other projects too

With that said, these people are losers. Here is an idea. Wait a few weeks and then go get the phone when no one is in line. Better yet, get a Droid Eris, like myself, and get better recption and quality service. Also, if I was sitting there and they told me I could skip a few more hours, I'd do it. Its a perk that comes with being a celeb. Just like top athletes not getting fouls called on them. So to review....a) get a life and get out of lines where dorks congregate and b) he can do whatever the hell he wants.

June 30, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shirley

And what was the name of his last move!!!! who can remember.

June 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherman

I love my Droid.

June 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lacrosseson

If I were in that line, I guarantee you NOBODY would have been escorted in ahead of me, even if I had to grab him by his scrawny pencil neck and shove him to the back.
    But then, I'm not stupid enough to wait in a line for hours for something I can get the next day with no line.

June 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Carol

I don't understand all the hoopla over a phone. It's a phone people! I believe technology is destroying humanity. People care more about getting some stupid gadget than helping their fellow man. Why isn't there a line like this to volunteer for the BP oil spill cleanup, or to help the homeless, or victims of Katrina? All these 40 year old virgin techno geeks who stand in line for a phone for hours need a life. And to get laid.

June 30, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Aaron

I'm kinda surprised that he arrived at 4:45 AM and waited over five hours for the phone. That still doesn't excuse the VIP treatment, though, and he could've used that time to connect with people.

June 30, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. Name Witheld

Jason could butt in front of me any day of the week. I think he's a great guy, and I'm sorry peoples, but it's a FRIGGIN' PHONE ! The best thing to do with any new electronics equipment is to wait a while until after it's out to buy it. Usually they're still working out the kinks when it first comes out. I could understand if it's a huge line for necessities, but to me an iphone is not an necessity, it's a perk if that.

June 30, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. mejazzbo

You are the ones who are fools enough to stand in lines for hours to pay a good deal of money for a tiny bit of technology that may not really be so amazing and is certain to be obsolete in a very short time. By standing in line you are playing into the hands of advertisers and media promotion. Yeah, Bateman is a wus, but you are no better.

June 30, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. WGAS

Who cares? These people should boo themselves for being idiotic enough stand in line for hours for a stupid phone.

June 30, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Get a Clue

For the masses on this comment page, Bateman is an excellent actor and I suggest all of you watch at least one episode of Arrested Development- quite possibly among the funniest series of all time. Bonus if you have netflix streaming disc for ps3 or xbox.. there are 3 seasons available currently. You'll thank me later.

He stood in line for HOURS. He didn't just waltz up to the front of the line. Any of you would hop on the chance to cut a line too, so just shut up and watch Arrested Development, it will definitely curb your intense anger on this topic.

June 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. EricLr

Come on, you guys know that a mediocre actor from several canceled TV series is going to get special treatment. Sure, he's not Mario Lopez famous, but he *was* on "It's Your Turn." And that kind of fame comes with its perks.

June 30, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Egg Veal

Him?

June 30, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Derek

ANYONE who waits in line for a phone is an idiot. I have a very simple samsung, no features and I couldn't care less about all these new phones. Even if I did I wouldn't wait in a line to get one..

Get a life people.

June 30, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ralph

I was saying "boourns".

June 30, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Suz

People are idiots if they cannot understand and accept that celebrities can and will always get different, better treatment than they do. Is it fair? Absolutely not. But it's the truth and they just need to deal. Sheesh.

June 30, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  17. Brian P

No one deserves an iPhone, unless you wait in line for 40+ hours like an idiot.

June 30, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. vman

First of all you all are stupid to stand in line for freakin' phone, just to show off front of your misguided society. Second of all get some status if you don't like to stand in line for hours like a sorry loser. Boo hoo! I pitty you fools! hahaha

June 30, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jack Levy

Justin Bieber was also waiting in line but didn't received special treatment? How Apple guys could miss him? or her? whatever...

June 30, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Emk

Let me get this straight...he stood in line from 4:45am till 10am. Give him a break...anyone else would have jumped at the chance to go in the store at that point..

June 30, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. MaryAnn

Big deal. It was only one guy. It's not like it was Jason Bateman and an entourage of family, friends, and hangers-on. I doubt it made all that much difference to anybody getting their iphone. Get over it. This is a really dumb thing to be reporting. Must be slow in the news business right now if this is what you're making a big deal out of.

June 30, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. doesn't care

This is the third story about this. Can you please report something else?

June 30, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  23. Poor Reception

To those who get up at 3 AM to get an iPhone I say: NERDS. I wouldn't get up at 3 AM for pu**y, let alone a phone.

June 30, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. hhm

iPhone people upset that there are people more eclectic than themselves.

June 30, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  25. Elise

Maybe if it had been a real celebrity, and not a B-list has-been, people wouldn't have been so upset.

June 30, 2010 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. Pam

Us Weekly is such a credible source. If he thinks he's too good to stand in line why was HE in line and not one of his people? The Apple store employee's themselves said they pulled him in away from the dam& paps, I'm much more inclined to believe that than the paps themselves.

June 30, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  27. Crystal

Who cares – seriously. It is a stupid iPhone. Try worrying about important stuff like the oil spill, soldiers dying in the Middle East, or parents killing their children.

June 30, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  28. geoffvster

How is this even news. If he was really out to take advantage of his celebrity why would he even show up at the store. I'm sure he could afford to send an assistant to wait if he thought he was to important to wait in line. Move on people, nothing to see here.

June 30, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. Firey Buddha

Man, these folks need to get a life – ALL of them.

June 30, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lawrence

If the manager wants to give special treatment to his own mother, he can. He is the manager. Just get over it . The people who waited in line and got those bugs with the new phone should have been happy it they ran out of phones but they did not.

June 30, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  31. Peg

Geez, what happened? No one's IPhone 3 was still working well enough to take a picture? Get over it people. There are many other of things (oil gushing for example) to get upset about. Superficial and not worth worrying about.

June 29, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lisa

You're waiting in line for a freakin PHONE, you losers. Who cares?

June 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  33. J

Can't journalists just drop the whole "-gate" thing? It's been done to death and beyond...

June 29, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Bunny

I have some celebrity friends who get preferential treatment, and they're used to it but it makes them uncomfortable. One of them is a stage actor and when we're out together he always gets free drinks, special dishes, attention from the restaurant owner, etc., and we never have to wait for a table. He always wants to go to places where he has to have a reservation, or if they don't take them, he won't go in unless there's no one waiting.

Back in the early days, before this guy got used to the attention, he'd try to wave people off. We'd wait in lines, and we'd attract a crowd when the middle-aged tourists walking by figured out that the cute guy queuing up at the Italian restaurant was really THAT GUY from the soap that they watched. He was right there, live and in person, just dying for them to come over to take a picture, sign an autograph, whatever, and I (and the other New Yorkers on line who were so over it) were just obstacles. He learned fast that all that did was irritate everybody except the tourists, so now he pastes on his plastic smile, sucks it up and lets people take him to the best tables and out of harm's way.

I'm just the schlubby chick who gets to take advantage of my friend's good fortune, knowing all the while that he's trying not to grit his teeth because it will result in a trip to the dentist. My other friends who get these kinds of perks take it a bit more in stride, but they're in L.A. where it's a bit more ubiquitous, and they're not as high on the food chain. People should leave Bateman alone because he sounds a lot like my guy, just following where he's led so as not to make waves.

June 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Elena

People, I've stated this in another article. This is a publicity mechanism for both Jason Bateman and Apple. Win, win.
    Jason was probably paid by Apple to stand in line and then generate buzz. If Jason wants a new iphone – he would have an assistant stand in line or a direct line to Apple. He doesn't need to "cut". He is being paid for all this buzz. He has an excellent publicist. Wake up people he is NOT A CUTTER but a rich guy getting richer off of the controversy.
    Be mad about that not about cutting in line!

June 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeah right

Wow Elena, that is quite the detective work you've got going. Of course Apple needs the buzz caused by a second rate celebrity. God only knows where a company like that would be without him. Down in the gutter, no doubt. Oh, and I love the part about his direct line to Apple. It's his own personal Bat Phone, wouldn't you say? Yeah, it all makes sense in that fairy tale of yours.

June 30, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  36. JIm

For those people who are smug about their iPhones: Rush Limbaugh is a proud new owner of one. He was smarter than those who waited in line since he chose to have it shipped to him.

June 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Hmmm

I'm glad to see that others agree this is a ridiculous story. You're talking about a bunch of people who have the time and money to stand in line to shell out money just to say they got it the first day. That's a very high class problem people! Now if they were in line for medicine or food, ok – I understand, but it was for a phone so chill.
    I also like the point someone made about the lack of video. If they were so upset why isn't this all over YouTube?

June 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. bought one

Interesting...I showed up about 4 pm the first day and had to wait in line about an hour to p/u my reserved i4. Everyone in the line was happy, smiling, talking with each other. The people walking by shaking their heads and making comments seemed to be very unhappy. Why would anyone care if someone wanted to stand in line, for anything? iPhone owners seem a lot less concerned about what phones are owned by others than those owners seem about iphone users.

June 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michelle

So he stood in line from 3:30am-10am according to the witness. I think that is a long time to wait in line so I think he paid his dues waiting over 6 hours in line.

June 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

well I find it funny that people would get mad at him for cutting in line when any of them would have cut to the front if they could have and if you were really mad, then don't buy the product... But oh we know that would never happen because we have to have the newest thing out to stay ahead of the Jones's... LOL

June 29, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rob

Any cast member of Arrested Development deserves to have stuff before regular folk. Especially Apple geeks.

June 29, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. DERRICK

i heard that the paparazzi was gathering and starting to cause a commotion. that's why the Apple people took him right inside the store – to stop anything that would cause a lot of mess(the paparazzi does that so well). that is very understandable if that was the case. SO THEY JUST NEED TO GET OVER IT!!

June 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ryan R

The real problem for Bateman is probably that its doubtful Verizon will be inclined to continue paying him to endorse their services after his trip to get an iPhone got so highly publicized.

June 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kristin

@Jimmy-hahaha

June 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. MR LUCK

its a freekin PHONE!!!!!!!!

get a life

June 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • measwell

Posting negative things about people who have different thoughts than you is lame.

GET A LIFE!!

June 30, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  45. Eric Bishop

iPhone fanboys are gigantic imbeciles. AT&T's network is garbage. The new phone requires that you hold it the "right way" in order to get a signal. There are five Android phones that perform better. You're basically paying a $200 premium in order to justify pleasuring yourself to picture of Steve Jobs. Having an iPhone is an instant sign that you're desperate, insecure, hipster clown.

June 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. noah

It's kind of strange that no one in line caught a video. If it was as big as people claim it to be, then why is there no video?

June 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jimmy

apple people need to stop freaking out about getting the newest version iphone and concentrate on leaving their friends alone with "apple" this and "apple" that. seriously, most of the people i know that own iphones post their entire life on facebook and seem to have kids just so they have a reason to post crappy pictures of facebook – of their kid eating a popsicle – or something to blog about everyday. annoying. who cares about looking at your kid standing in a puddle while it's raining or the fact that you made crappy tunafish rolls for dinner. get a life. some argue that it's "for family members." nope. it's all self indulgent. it's arrested development if you ask me.

but seriously, i like iphones. and i like jason bateman.

June 29, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dave in Arizona

This has been one of the best demonstrations of the temperament of Apple fans.
    Questioning looks I can understanding. Booing and complaining? Immature and an embarrassment to mankind.

June 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sarcasmo

Nothing makes American blood boil more than other people getting more STUFF than them, or more quickly. CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME

June 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Don

It's good to be an actor.

June 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. E-MAN

You have to give him credit, he got there at 4:45 in the morning, it's not like it was just 5 minutes before opening. I wonder if there was any legal liability concern if he was to get injured had there been a stampede?

June 29, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. LK

This topic is back? Okay, I'll say it again. Shame on the Ipod employee who pulled him out of the line to let him go in, and shame on Justin for allowing it. I HATE when famous people get special treatment! Okay, if it was the PREZ (even though I doubt he would stand in ANY line! LOL!). I bet if a person who was standing in line had a physical problem, and was in pain, that they wouldn't have been escorted into the store,right? Pathetic. Shame on them both!

June 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. rupert

You can't tell me any one of these "fanboys" standing in line wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to go right in the store. They would have wet themselves with excitement. He didn't get a kidney first, he got a phone. Get over it.

June 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • who'd decline a jump in line?

completely agree. i dunno apple would offer a pseudo-celeb a jump a line, or anyone else for that matter, but who in their right mind wouldn't say, 'sure i'll be happy to get my iphone now instead of wait for hours'. hypocrites.

June 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • to Rupert

Your right...it was Steve Jobs that got the liver first

July 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. BFD

Those people stood in line from the middle of the night for a freakin' phone they could have bought a couple of days later without the line.

Pathetic

June 29, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Frank

As i said yesterday: We should care about this, why?

June 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Suzanne

Granted he should have declined the offer to go inside before everyone else and continued to stand in line with the other folks, he seems to be a really nice guy and I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. Move on!

June 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • makak

really? why should he have declined? i'm sure if anyone else in that line was offered to be escorted in, they would have taken it. i would have!!

June 30, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
    • C

I'd put money on it that anyone in that line would've taken up the offer and waltzed right in, not saying it's right but it happens. And it's not like he showed up when the store opened and got in, he was there early to wait like everyone else. Celebrity has it's priviledge's, don't be a hater.

June 30, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  57. terry

To Boo or not to Boo??? still a big debate ???

June 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Not really, but you know CNN. It actually makes these people who waited for the phone seem like crybabies on top of being losers for waiting.

June 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mingerz

Ya, He definitely got the "celebrity favor" treatment. Its annoying when companies places one persons needs over another's. Noone is more important than another person. Iphone is worth the wait......so Im just going to keep waiting anyway since the first generation of most phones have bugs anyway.

June 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Who cares about this? Why is this news? I don't get it...

June 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian

First generation? Bro, this is the fourth iPhone.

June 30, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

@ Chris...yet you still take the time to go out of your way to make your feelings known about such a meaningless, insignificant story. A story you a) didn't have to click the link to if you knew what it was about, going in, and b) once you clicked the link and got halfway into the story, did it not fail your "serious journalism" acid test at some point? Because it should've.

So you click a link you don't have to, you read a story you have no interest in. And, to top it all off, you take the time to register and write your clichéd, done-to-death bit of commentary? I don't think the problem lies in the story...it lies in some of you who seem to thrive on going out of your way to comment on stuff "not being news".

Why?

Bear in mind, you are in the "entertainment"-oriented section of CNN.com. That means there's a pretty good chance the events and people being talked about are going to be in the entertainment industry (last I checked, Jason Bateman still met that qualification). So you should know, way early on, the kind of stories you're in for when you click these kinds of links.

And, yet...you still do it anyway. Just so you can do that whole "is this real news?" schtick some of you are really into doing here lately. Is there a club or group of you folks? A Facebook or Twitter-based outfit, where you just run around to news sites all day, posting variations of "is this real news?" in honor of Murrow and Cronkite?

Tip o' the day: when you see a story in the "Marquee" blog section of CNN.com, chances are it's not going to be serious, heavy news that stands up to your definition of the word. So why not just skip it completely so you don't have to worry about it? Call me crazy...just a suggestion.

June 30, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • lol

Don't waste your time Paul. Kids with short attention spans will not read your comment nor understand the truth behind it.

June 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |