June 29th, 2010

Will 'Deathly Hallows' part 1 have enough action?

If the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" teaser is any indication, the much-anticipated finale to the magical sensation that has gripped the world is looking to be spectacular all-around. Granted, Daniel Radcliffe wasn’t given many lines in the 2:27 trailer, but we're going for optimism here.

But it does flash through at least a dozen pivotal scenes from the 784-page book, giving fans a taste of what is to come - and it really is a trailer tailored for true Harry Potter fans (such as myself, of course).

Only those in the know will recognize scenes that are sure to be riveting, including the trio’s misadventures in Gringotts, Nagini’s attack on Harry and the fiery escape from the Room of Requirement.

But it’s surprising that Warner Bros. (which, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner) would release so much footage when only Part I of “Deathly Hallows” will be released this November. This first two-minute glimpse seems to encompass the entirety of the final novel, a move that raises a few questions.

For those who haven’t read the books, will Part I include enough action to entice and satisfy viewers? After all, in the first half of the book the trio does spend an endless amount of time camping and being angsty. Even the trailer seems to represent more of the second half than the first. (Spoilers ahead!)

In the first 30 seconds of the teaser we see Harry preparing his death, a climactic scene in the novel, which could be better served in a trailer for the movie’s second part.

Warner Bros. had been trying to keep the specifics of the split quiet, and still reserves the right to make changes, but according to Potter fansite Mugglenet.com, Joshua Herman (who plays Draco’s goon, Goyle) revealed that the first half of the film would end with Harry, Ron and Hermione’s capture by Snatchers, right before being taken to Malfoy Manor.

Part II is scheduled to be released in July 2011.

Every Potter movie has grown darker, and the latest looks like it will only continue the pattern. An ominous, threatening cloud hangs over each scene, a sign that Voldemort is all over this movie - something fans will probably appreciate after being disappointed by not seeing him at all in the sixth film, "The Half-blood Prince.”

No glaring inaccuracies were apparent in the trailer, and hopefully there won’t be any more incidences of completely fabricated burning Burrows in this next installment. Though I am wondering why they removed the blood from Hermione’s hands at 1:14 when it was there in the previous trailer.

The teaser definitely serves its purpose well and will surely reinvigorate fans that have lost enthusiasm for the series since its end. For many, it really is - as the trailer says - “the motion picture event of a generation.”

1. liesbeth

im not holding my breath for this bad boy being accurate. they burned down the burrow... you cant stray any more from cannon than that.

September 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jenna

I didn't know until now where they make the cut in the movie but it seems like a good idea to have the huge cliffhanger before they get brought to the Malfoy's place. But I also like the suggestion to have the cut when they get to shell cottage but that would probably not make people want to see the 2nd part as bad.

I loved the trailer. I think it was extremely well done. And 'the motion picture of a generation' is a total understatement. This film is going to be epic. No matter what. I hope it breaks all the box office records. CANT WAIT for November.
    I just am a little bummed about having to see it in 3D. :/

oh an I just wanted to say that
    HARRY POTTER >>>>>>>>> twilight

July 30, 2010 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Charles

I always thought the most logical place to make the split was when Ron comes back. End it as the lights go out, and Hermione says she hasn't necessarily decided against sicking birds on him again. It would be a kind of fun, happy ending in the midst of all the darkness, and it sets them up as being ready to go for Part 2.

July 12, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dumbledore's Army

Dan- Honestly, you're right. This is pathetic, if you are a true fan then you are glowering in excitement by just thinking of these movies, not criticizing them like you're some kind of movie expert. None of you know what it's like to make a movie, and thank the good Lord that none of you are making this movie. It will be excellent, and will make a serious run at Avatar.

July 12, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Stop being so cynical for god's sake people! The final battle looks EPIC! You need to know that it's a BOOK ADAPTATION. What may work for book may not work for a film!!! So stop moaning and complaining that they "need to stick to the book" because that's not what an ADAPTATION is about! The film is BASED on the novel! Get a grip and enjoy the movies for what they are – brilliant pieces of the Harry Potter legacy!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Darren

I am disgusted at the studios for their blatant greed in splitting the final book into 2 movies. Saying that the book is too long and they want to do the story justice is a bunch of c**p!!! The studios care about gross revenue, not the viewers or the story.

I know it won't happen but I would love to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" fail miserably at the box office so that studios will think twice about splitting books into two movies. Already the greed has spread and the last Twilight movie will be in 2 parts.

Hollywood has lost all integrity.

July 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

It looks to me like it has plenty of action in it. I'm surprised at how much of the Hogwarts castle seems to get destroyed. I'm looking forward to the movie. :)

July 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt c

I feel like the cut off point between the 2 movies should be when the group gets to shell cottage after escaping malfoy manner. It shows the confirmation of the existence of the elder wand through olivander, and how Voldemort dug up dumbledore's grave to take the elder wand. It leaves the story on a cliff hanger. Hopefully everyone will agree.

July 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MPH

Warner Brothers, are you listening? You will alienate millions of people if you get the final scene between Harry and Voldemort wrong. The reaction of the wands is the key to the entire concept behind "Deathly Hallows." I am still jazzed about the movies, but they had better get at least that right. They blew it with the end of Order of the Phoenix. Harry needed to holler and scream after Sirius died – that was a great scene in the book. And Daniel Radcliff does especially well when he is acting angry. So I hope they get the end of this fantastic series right, and I hope JKR looks out for that. It is, after all, her baby.

July 1, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nancy

It looked to me in the trailer that Ron was trying to kill the snake, and I distinctly remember it being Neville who does it. I really hope they don't change that detail, as it was a great way to have Neville's character be really heroic. Remember, he was the other possible "chosen one" and I always felt that this achievement of Neville's was a way for readers to think about how one's character can be shaped by the challenges one faces by opening up the possibility that Neville also could have fulfilled the prophecy, had Voldemort gone after him as an infant and not Harry. Anyone else ever interpreted that element of the story that way?

July 1, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • pip

Ron's stabbing the locket that contains the horcrux

July 1, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt c

I'm pretty sure dumbledore explained that exact possibility to Harry in order of the phoenix...

July 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sadonna

Well I will be really mad if they screw up these last two films. The last one was a complete joke and waste of time. I get so mad every time I watch it and its one I have not bought yet. From the trailer it looks like they did follow to some degree. I do remember Daniel Radcliff said that the scene where he jumps into the cold pond to get the sword they did not do. Or they did it some where else. That I can not remember fully so please correct me if I am wrong. But that ending battle I have been looking forward to ever since I read it for the very first time!

Guess we will never know how the end turns out till July which from what we have seen they are going to show us little as possible to keep our hopes up and to be excited. I am more excited about this movie then the new Eclipse movie.

July 1, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. Paula

I agree that they need to stay closer to the book (I don't understand what burning the Burrow brought to the story), but if they need to adjust (having the final showdown in the courtyard or the remnants of the Great Hall) for a better visual, I plan to wait to make a judgment. Hopefully, those fighters/spectators who remained are just a safe distance away and just not in the scene we saw in the trailer.

June 30, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kyle

In the books the final battle between Harry and Voldemort isn't really a battle at all. It's just a single spell and a technicality that ends it. I really hope they get it right, it would be so very depressing if they messed up the last two movies, especially since they have so much longer to fit everything in.

June 29, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt c

In a movie snapshot it looked like they got that final scene between the 2 correctly, where they each cast a spell

July 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jen

Watch the trailer again for the V/H fight. I had to go back several times to figure it out. Looks like they actually blow up the school during the war and V/H are fighting in what used to be the Great Hall, not an actual courtyard. I paused on the scene and was also dismayed to see many bodies but no spectators. Where is everybody? Hope they don't screw it up too badly even thought it looks epic. Can't wait!

June 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alichat

Actually, Emily is right. The final showdown with Harry and Voldemort in the courtyard of Hogwarts is an inaccuracy. And it is the final showdown, not the meeting in the Forbidden Forest where the next to last Horcrux is destroyed. I believe the producers have stated in previous interviews that the final battle between Harry and Voldemort was extended. My hope is it starts in the courtyard and ends in the Great Hall as it was in the book.

Also, concerning the question about the blood having been removed from Hermione's hands, I've read that so the trailer could be shown in front of PG and PG-13 films, the blood was removed. Apparently blood has to be removed or blackened for trailers. Seems an odd reason, but that seems to be the concensus as to why it was removed.

June 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Emily O.

No glaring inaccuracies? What about the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort appearing to take place on the school's outdoor grounds without an audience rather than in the Great Hall with everyone Harry knows watching? That was very concerning to me.

June 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

That's not the final showdown. That's where Harry goes out and gets "Killed" by Voldemort because he is the last Horcrux. Then Malfoy's mother checks on Harry and says he is dead. All the death eaters go into the school and then Harry comes back and kills Voldemort. There was a scene that looked like Voldemort and Harry alone on the roof, and I don't know where that is from.

June 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

We don't even know what happens after what we saw. For all we know they they were inside the Great Hall and then apparated outside after Harry gave Voldemort a verbal beat-down. Maybe Harry will start saying how Voldemort plan failed while their spells are connected and each time he says something insulting towards Voldemort idiocy, the molten 'sun' in the middle gets closer to Voldemort. People might even rush out and circle them like in the book while this is happening.

David Heyman said they are going to be very true but change it enough to be more cinematic, I wouldn't worry about it.

June 30, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • bmjc

I agree with Emily. Having Harry and V outside dueling by themselves is way off. This isn't the "killed in the forest" scene as some other guy said ... that was in another part of the trailer and harry didn't fight back in that scene. I just know this director is going to screw this up like he did with 6. He invents things for action but forgets that we want to see the books come to life NOT HIS THOUGHTS come to life.

July 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Paula

The first half would include getting Harry from his relatives to the Burrow (included in the trailer – Harry and Hagrid on the motorcycle), Bill & Fleur's wedding (on a previous trailer), as well as the subsequent escape (in previous trailers), hopefully the trip to the Ministry of Magic to retrieve the locket (Imelda Staunton is said to reprise her role as Dolores Umbridge), along with the fight between Harry & Ron (in trailers) and the retrieval of Gryffindor's Sword and destruction of the locket (also in the trailer). I think there is enough action to carry the first half of the movie...

June 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Too bad they burned down the Burrow in the 6th movie...they should have stuck to the books!

June 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Jennifer,

Perhaps you should reread the books...

June 30, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Colin

Matt,
      Perhaps you should.
      Jenifer is right.

June 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt c

Maybe Matt should actually know what he's talking about before he tries to correct people. The Burrow never gets burned down in the half blood prince

July 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |