June 29th, 2010

Latest 'Twilight' threatens to 'Eclipse' prior two

The story of “Twilight” movies setting records feels about as fresh as a 100-year-old vampire, but here it is anyway: “Eclipse” not only set a record as the year’s top advance ticket-seller, but Deadline.com is reporting that it’s also the biggest domestic release in Tinseltown’s history.

While logically we know this probably would’ve happened regardless of what critics said of the film – honestly, Roger Ebert could type “abcdefg” and “Eclipse” tickets would still represent 91 percent of Fandango.com’s sales today – but we’re curious if the surprisingly positive reviews have had an impact on the anticipation for the film.

When the second installment of Stephenie Meyer’s saga, “New Moon,” released, film reviewers were ruthless.

But "Eclipse" - thanks in large part, it seems, to director David Slade ("Hard Candy"; "30 Days of Night")– just may be a movie non-fans can sink our teeth into, courtesy of some much-needed tongue-in-cheek humor and a quickened pace.

New York Times: “‘Eclipse,’ directed by David Slade, is a more robustly entertaining film than either of its predecessors….What there isn’t, as usual, is much in the way of good acting, with the decisive and impressive exception of Ms. Stewart, who can carry a close-up about as well as anyone in movies today. Mr. Lautner still seems to have recently escaped from a high school cheerleading squad somewhere, and Mr. Pattinson’s pout conveys not the existential angst of a lovelorn immortal, but rather the peevishness of a guy who just lost a Greta Garbo lookalike contest — for the third time in a row! — to his own girlfriend.”

L.A. Times: “ 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' is back with all of the lethal and loving bite it was meant to have…. Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner...finally, finally breathe life into the characters first created by publishing phenom Stephenie Meyer.

[Director David] Slade finds a way to blend the street-smart edge he brought to 'Hard Candy' with the dark irony of '30 Days of Night' to bring some serious fun to 'Eclipse.' Finally, someone with a sense of humor about vampire love....”

USA Today: "This is definitely the most romantic of the films, although some of these scenes are set in flower-filled meadows that bring to mind feminine-hygiene commercials. The action sequences are harder-edged, and occasionally exciting, especially the scenes of vamps who sprint and run in mid-air, as if in flight. But it's still hard to see what all the fuss over ordinary Bella is about...The huge contingent of girls — and women with girlish fantasies — who liked the first two movies will doubtless enjoy Eclipse. But this third go-round won't make Twihard converts of the rest of us."

Hollywood Reporter: “It took three films, but 'The Twilight Saga' finally nails just the right tone in 'Eclipse,' a film that neatly balances the teenage operatic passions from Stephenie Meyer's novels with the movies' supernatural trappings....Where the first film leaned heavily on camp and the second faltered through caution and slickness, 'Eclipse' moves confidently into the heart of the matter - a love triangle that causes a young woman to realize choices lead to consequences that cannot be reversed.”

Roger Ebert: "The movie contains violence and death, but not really very much. For most of its languorous running time, it listens to conversations between Bella and Edward, Bella and Jacob, Edward and Jacob, and Edward and Bella and Jacob. This would play better if any of them were clever conversationalists, but their ideas are limited to simplistic renderings of their desires."

Filed under: movies • Twilight

1. Maria

I just watched it w/ my fiance. Even though he hadn't seen the other two he has heard enough talk bout it that he could keep up and seemed to enjoy it. I Loved it and can't wait for the 4th one. One of my family members read the book and filled me in on the ending but I still can't wait to see it portrayed on fllm. I first tried to boycott the film but i gave in and I love it, I think becasue its more of a love story than about vampires.

July 7, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. AZ

ryan, I want to know what movie you think is a good quality movie-and I believe that you care nothing for the movie but just wanted to bash women. Your statement just proves that you are the one that is simple minded here....

July 4, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TheKibs

Guys & Gals you either love it of hate it. A movie is what your imagination wants it to be, whatever the critics say the fan base have made up their minds since the book Twilight was out. I personally love the way Rob portrays Edward, love him to bits
    –older Twihard fan……Team Edward Oyeeeeee

July 1, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KATHY

CRITICS AND MALES ( NOT ALL) NEED TO GET A GRIP! THIS WAS NOT MADE FOR YOU, I SUPPOSE IF IT HAVE LOTS OF BLOOD AND GUTS IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED MUCH BETTER! THESE MOVIES ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LOOK AT THE BOX OFFICE RECORD-BREAKING NUMBERS.................THAT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • ryan

yeah, they were definitely made for girls. I tried to watch the second one and couldn't stand it. It just goes to show that females are simple-minded and completely oblivious to the quality of a movie and the talent of its actors when the storyline has something to do with "love".

July 1, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. sasuke

I loved the movie so much but if u have red the books they coudlve made it better woth little details and the movie was very fast paced so i thought it couldve been way better and know matter what happens its bella and edward u guys should know this by now Edward is hotter anywa

June 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. michael

hi my name is michael

June 30, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mikey

I saw the movie last night and it is the best of the 3 so far. It moved faster and the back stories for excellent. The fights were violent and very cool. David did a great job with the film and you could actually fill the emotions this time and I love the one liners. Even though Jacob gets on my nerves with the whinning. He did have the best one liner.

June 30, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • BELLA OF PHIL

HI MICHAEL.. ARE U THE JACOB OF MY LIFE THAT I HAVE BEED WAITING FOR?

July 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

The sad part is that most of these comments are just littered with grammar errors.

June 30, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • UH OH

GRAMMATICAL errors.

"Grammar errors" hahaha... and you bash others for their mistakes?

June 30, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. MARGARITA

JUST WATCHED IT AND ITS AMAZING I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!!!!

June 30, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeanie

OMG! if you don't like Taylor, then don't go to the movie, because if he wasn't in it there wouldn't be a movie, would there? My gosh....what is it with all the crap. Its a movie, portrayed great to the fans or anyone else buying tickets. I never listen to critics, they suck!! 95% of the movies they rave about are tragically awful. IT'S WHAT PLEASES THE FANS PEOPLE...don't you get it.

June 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tiffany

Jacob needs to just disappear,he is just so annoying. Like a fly just buzzing around where he is NOT wanted!!Hope he gets a clue in Eclipse!!

June 29, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.J

Acutally if edward didn't up and leave bella the relationship with jacob probably just stay as friends . after reading all the books I perfer jacob to be with bella but I know its about bella and edward. So it makes sense.

June 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Seeerioulsy, Jacob is so annoying.. I mean, okay, he's HOT, but him and bella are NOT meant to be. Why don't Jacob OR bella realise that?? Go Team EDWARD!!!!

July 29, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Courtney

I hope that this movie is better than the other too! I <3ed the books and Ill be there at midnight tonight to see Eclipes!!

June 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |