June 29th, 2010

Jennifer Hudson: I was secluded from everything

In September 2008, Jennifer Hudson was on top of the world with a Grammy, a Golden Globe and a debut album under her belt, not to mention a handsome man in her life.

But less than a month later her world came crashing down with the shocking deaths of her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew. The actress opened up about this tragic turning point in her life for the first time last night during her “Behind the Music” special on Vh1.

“It was all like a blur, it was surreal. It was like I was outside myself,” Hudson said, adding that she spent two weeks straight inside of her room. “I was secluded from anything that was going on.”

Hudson understandably had to take a step back from her blossoming career. When she was asked to do a film, she turned it down saying, “I have to adjust to who I am. I can’t be another character.”

It wasn't until the 2009 Grammys that Hudson felt ready to make a public appearance. Not only did she win the award for Best R&B Album, she accepted the award from her life-long idol, Whitney Houston.  “I really cannot put into words how special that moment was for me,” Hudson told VH1.

Now the still-healing Hudson is an adoring mother to her son, David Daniel Otunga Junior.  “He makes me feel like the most special person,” she said.

As she continues to push forward, Hudson said her lost family members still shine through in her life. “My brother drives me in my music, my son reminds me of my nephew, and being a mother reminds me of my mother."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Terry

Cruella,no one has congratulated me on anything lately..so "Thanks "!!..but falling into the "troll trap" OUCH !!!!.Well anyway it's not about you it is about the support of Jennifer Hudson she has made it big & deserves happiness.We have FREE SPEECH here in America so you have the right to express yourself any way you wish..but a big BOO again to you anyway !!!!!!...........smile !!

July 1, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cruella

Why is it everyone responded to my posts and only one person had the intelligence to ignore me and post their thoughts. You shoule be proud of yourselves. You fell right into the troll trap. Congrats fools!

June 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Linda

If everyone would ignore Cruella and her ilk, no response, just ignore, she and the others would fade out. They exist - as she herself notes - to fire everyone up and respond to her. Ignore her.

June 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Terry

A big BOO to Cruella !!! I hope Jennifer will continue to make great music & continue to be blessed.She had a terrible loss ,your fans support you.

June 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hmmm

Crulla, I guess you are the only nobody here as it appears that we all care. I guess by you sitting in front of the computer attacking everyones' comment is how you get your days by. The day that you drop dead is the day we will all be posting "nobody cares".

June 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jen

"Cruella" is a joke!! I feel bad for "it" probably has no friends, *tear* . Actually, I don't feel bad for "Cruella"....

I agree with the rest of you.

June 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cruella

Another self-righteous hypocrite heard from. Keep em' coming folks. I love to read your righteous indignation.

June 29, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Taylor

Wow Cruella! Thats really rude of you... She just lost her family. Its because of people like you that the world is the way it is. Have some respect! I am very happy for her for losing all that weight and becoming successful like she has here recently.. Good for her!

June 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Debra Marley

I don't personally know Jennifer, but I love to read about her current happiness. I am so very happy for her, a husband, beautiful son. new weight loss, and fantastic career.

June 29, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Semirra

Apparently you do if you took the time to not only read the article but comment on it as well! lol

June 29, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cruella

I didn't read the article, because I don't care. I just like to post so fools like you will reply to the nonsense.

June 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. norma

Cruella: You are a hater! why are you even on this site if you don't care. To say nobody cares is a flat out LIE. We love and respect Jennifer to the fullest. She is a class act. One of the most humble and grounded young ladies in the business. Jennifer and Julia has been through unimaginable grief, and how ANYONE could look at them and still find hate is just plain SICK. God has favor on her (Jennifer Hudson) life and she will always be at the top in her careers.

June 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |