June 28th, 2010

Jason Bateman sets the record straight

Us Weekly reported last week that Jason Bateman was booed outside an Apple store in L.A. for cutting a line of 2,000 iPhone 4 enthusiasts, relying on the account of eyewitnesses. But perhaps those "eyewitnesses" where impatiently waiting in some other line, because the actor has since taken to Twitter to set the record straight.

“There wasn’t one boo. Not one hiss,” Bateman wrote in response to claims made by an eyewitness who said, “Everyone literally started booing and hissing!” Another onlooker said, “The crowd freaked and booed, and he put his head down,” according to the magazine.

But one thing is for sure: Bateman did get to skip the line Thursday.

“The Apple guy brought me in away from the paparazzi,” he wrote. “Period. I was content in line. I wish I’d stayed.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities

1. Kevin W

I think its ridiculous to for anyone to criticize. The manager of the store, looking to score brownie points, sought Bateman out to bring him inside. I remember waiting in line for a Black Friday sale. Had the manager came out and said, alright Kevin, you're in first. There would have been a puff of smoke. Same as for any of you. Don't act as if you'd declare "no thank you kind manager, I prefer to be out here among the snobby people in the heat, thank you!" I think the people who react badly to things like this are so celebrity obsessed that they need to point out flaws in their idols so they can say "well he may be rich, popular, and have a hot wife, but I'm a good person and he's not." No you're not. Go back to your iPhone, your Starbucks, and your snobbery.

July 18, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kevin W

Really, Bateman-gate? That's hilarious. I don't care even a shred about this. If you're one of 2000 people in line waiting for an iPhone, just hit yourself really hard in the head over and over again. If they are at an Apple store, they probably think they're better than everyone else anyways, so when someone gets really nice treatment, the jealousy oozes out. I think there has been more of a call for Bateman to apologize for having someone else pull him out of line than there has been for Bush to apologize for, ya know, that war. Go American priorities!

July 18, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. mabel

Jason, you are lucky you didn't try this here in Manhattan. The angry mob would have taken care of you NY style, pelting you with our Starbucks Double-Latte frappacinos until you went down hard.

July 1, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Teddy7

Wow... a PR firm is calling out jason bateman and saying he should publicly aplogize! Look: http://tinyurl.com/3yqt692

June 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Former Apple Store The Grove Employee

Jason, it's too bad that one person's decision(the Apple Store Manager) caused you all this grief. You were content in line and looked like you were having a fun time hangin' with your peeps! I know the Store Manager of the Apple Store at the Grove and I bet he does this to gain "friends" with celebrities. He is a former drummer and is just probably trying to gain more contacts in the Entertainment Industry! I worked with him and he's always telling everyone to treat customers equally but he doesn't follow his own rules....hypocrite!!!! Just ask Eddie Izzard. He never has to wait in line at the Genius Bar! Also, The Paparazzi are friends with a lot of the employees at the Grove. In fact, one of the Paparazzi who works for TMZ used to work at that exact same store so a lot of people know him! He's a really cool guy, never makes celebrities feel uncomfortable and his sole job as Paparazzi is to cover the Grove. And, if the Paparazzi were such a problem, what the Store Manager should have done was to call mall security and have them escorted out, especially since the Grove is private property. They do it all the time!

June 30, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. David

Sing it, Jason! "The Apple Guy can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good!"

June 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bart Man

Who?????

June 29, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Maka

The real question is why are paps after him anyways.

June 29, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Duane

He should have sent "Bland" to go stand in line for him. Then she could have enjoyed a mayonegg and no one would have noticed her.

June 29, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Uhmmm....no

If he was being carried away from paparazzi wouldn't they have caught the booing? I think he blocked out the booing and hissing and was in Lalaland!

June 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Frank

Because you're so wonderful, Frank, that's why we care. Because you have nothing better to do than read stories that you care nothing about, and take the time to comment on them. We are using this as a way to try to figure people like you out.

June 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Frank

And we care about this, why?

June 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. N

There's not a lot of logic to it. It's kind of like on a boat with "Women and chidren first." I mean, why should they...

June 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

N, thank you for referencing Gob! I was just watching Arrested Development the other day and I laughed so hard when he said that.

June 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. troll killah

michael bluth can do no wrong

June 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |