June 28th, 2010

BET Awards viewers split on Brown's performance

Chris Brown’s tribute to Michael Jackson performance at the BET Awards Sunday night has left viewers emotional to say the least. But everyone’s also fairly divided as to which emotion that is.

While most people believe Brown’s vulnerable breakdown onstage in front of millions was sincere, others are appalled by the public’s willingness to forgive and even feel sorry for a man who received a felonious charge for beating his ex-girlfriend Rihanna a year ago.

And then there are the people who are outraged at the people who were appalled — and on and on it goes.

Sympathy seemed to be the predominant emotion for those present at the Awards ceremony, with some, like Niecy Nash, becoming choked up along with Brown. The audience even sang along in support of the artist when he became to emotional to continue singing “Man in the Mirror.”

At an afterparty, Trey Songz told MTV.com, "Chris killed that. He left his heart on the stage. He gave genuine emotion. I was proud of him and I was happy for him for having that moment.”

Nick Cannon also spoke up about East coast support for Brown, tweeting,  “@chrisbrown all the Fans in NY are blowing the phones up saluting you.”

And Cannon wasn’t the only celebrity: entertainment blogger Perez Hilton promised he was being sincere when he tweeted, “@chrisbrown congrats last night! Job very well done.”

But not everyone is ready to forgive Chris Brown for his actions last year. One commenter posted on MTV’s story, “Ya know every time I want to like Chris Brown again, I just think of that Rihanna picture of her battered and bruised.” The commenter added, “we're all sad Michael left us but that's not making me change my mind regarding the type of uncontrollable person you are."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • television

1. Demetrius Jones

You know, I do not understand why people are always saying that America is forgiving when you have a man that has did what he was supposed to do under the law, and is still not forgiven by SOME PEOPLE!!!! It is funny that when you are white, everything is swept under the RUGG, and when you are Black you are worthless and a hard core criminal!! People lets wake up and be more sensitive to everyone. Damn!! Chris Brown did an excellent job and should be applauded!! He was very sincere I thought, and is going to continue to be very successful!! When you are White you are right, and when you are Black you are WRONGGGG!!!! Thank you very much!!

June 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BLight

Chris Brown is above and beyond the talentless singers that are coming out. He is the full package. I think he should have been taken out back by J-Z's crew and beat the way he beat Rihanna, and then let him get on with his life. Since that didn't happen we have to go with the justice system. The boy made an immature terrible judgment, and his actions have hurt him in the worst way – his wallet. I for one was moved by his performance on the BET awards. That was not acting, no one slobbers in a fake cry – and that boy was slobbering. I can't wait to see more. "Onward and Upward" as Jada Smith said. Lets let the boy climb the mountain and come out on TOP this time.

June 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Santalina

This was such a publicity stunt for him. There is no way he could have ever sung that song. None of his songs in the past ever hits high B natural almost 2 octaves above middle C. That is the highest note that Michael sings in full voice in this song. Very few people can sing full voice at this men's note and sound as good as Michael. Judging by Chris Brown's songs, he certainly cannot and would not attempt it live. That is why this is pure publicity.

June 29, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Enchanted

Chris this was your moment and time and you did your thing. We are so proud of you. Do not worry about ignorant people. God forgave you and thats all that matters. We pray we see and hear more from you. You are one of the best and that performance will not be forgotten. It was the best we've seen in a longtime. Much love to you.

June 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rhianna

Next time I'm going cut his jewels off.

June 29, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • lol

Dude, if you're going to pretend to be someone at least spell his/her name right...

June 29, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Loving Life

You are not the real Rihanna get a life!!!

June 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

LOL!!!!!!!! Ha!!!!!!!!! Ha!!!!!!!!!!

July 2, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • rhianna

you better not do nun to him because you needed to gwet that beatin you should not have been hittin him in the face now

March 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Theresa

Chris owned what he did & received the help he needed & did what he was told by the courts. He was fantastic on the show & was overcome by emotion which to me was real & heartfelt. Let him be.He has much talent–2nd chances,he has proven to be contrite..let him be....

June 29, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Renita

I think chris brown did a really good job performing the role of micheal jackson last night....................the tears was real i don't think he was faking...............keep up the good work chris brown and if the audience didnt enjoy you last night just know i did it touch me when i saw you perform like that

June 29, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tomica S. Lankford

I really really have to say something about this. First of all I don't remember which one said they never seen a 19yr old beat up their girlfriend. Well that's a lie. What planet are you on. I mean seriously. Domestic disputes happen everyday and every second around the world. You mean you haven't seen a 19 yr old that did that and they were in the public eye. That's the only difference I see. You make it sound like he did the worse thing in this world. Yes he was wrong for that and yes he deserves a second chance. Everybody makes mistakes. The important thing is learning from them. If God didn't forgive us we would be screwed!! Don't you think. But anywho. Yes I think his performance was genuine. I think it was a combination of all of what he been through, and the fact that his idol has passed away. The discussion you guys had on the show made me hot... But hey I guess that's what you get paid for...

June 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Monica B

The only people split on this performance are those who didn't watch it. He performed wonderfully and I believe his tears were real..not a performance. Honestly, I'd already thought he was very sorry and I had moved on from being so disappointed in him. More importantly Rihanna has moved on. Sounds like emotions ran over with Chris and Rihanna and neither one was able to handle it. This guy does not have a history of abuse and I believe going through this situation will prevent it from happening again. He's a good kid and a TALENTED entertainer. Let's not allow the media to abuse him and crucify him like they did MJ. Onward march Chris! Todd Leopold (I hope I spelled his name correctly) – go have a seat and quit being judgemental.

June 28, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. love CHRIS BROWN

Let me get this straight no one has any room to blame or be so judemental you werent there. Men and women get into to fights everyday. He obviously made a mistake and SHE did to. I will continue to support him I love him. HE DID A OUTSTANDING JOB LAST NITE. I have always had so much respect for him. Why is everyone always conserned with everyone else but themselves. Mind your own damn busniess. Everyone has a past and you ask for forgiveness he did so let him be please. ITS funny how other people can make mistakes and we so quick to forgive them. Im not saying what eitheir one of them did was right but why did some people have so much sympathy for her? WAKE UP PEOPLE HE IS STILL A GREAT ENTERTAINER AND I WILL ALWAYS LOVE HIM. GREAT JOB BAY KEEP YA HEAD UP I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU

June 28, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. John Parks

I think this was a legit performance and that he was definitely showing some emotion. Im actually really enjoyin his most recent album too- reminds me of some of the work Idid with my first band.My new group and I just submitted our tunes to be on a new movie soundtrack (any other singers out there can do the same). Go to imadeamovie and let me know what u think ouf us... thanks for the feedback!!

June 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stacey

Look, I don't like what happened last year to Rhianna anymore than anyone else here does. Chris was wrong – dead wrong. However, I do believe he deserves another chance. It seems like the public forgives Charlie Sheen and Sean Penn so why not Chris Brown? Let's stop with the double-standard.

June 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brittany

Chris Brown did a great job. MJ was and is his mentor and idol. Im pretty sure that Chris was crying over the lost of MJ and he just couldnt keep his emotions in and im pretty sure it wasnt over Rhiana. but what about Charlie Sheen and these other people. and i agree with you Dimples the media chooses people whom lives they want to destroy. Like MJ, he was completey innocent but the media portrayed him as guilty and the people of the public that couldnt think for themselves and judges a book by its cover agree with the media . they didnt want a BLACK man to overpass elvis and the beatles and these other artist but MJ did anyway. but who are we to judge. God is the only judge so leave Chris alone, geez. we as humans want to control everything and judge everyone. Good job Chris and i know that MJ was looking down at you smiling and happy. RIP MJ <3

June 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cookiethecapricorn

@DIMPLES.....TOTALLY AGREE.

Chris Brown is not Jesus Christ, he made a mistake, apololgized and paid his debt to society!!! Yes he should be forgiven!!

June 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ellie

Chris Brown was Micheal Jackson's #! fan. It's understandable that he got caught up emotionally. Everyone grieves differently, there is NO WRONG way or RIGHT WAY. It depends on the individual.

Folks need to STOP reading MORE into things than there is. There are people who always look for the "BAD" in people, WHY NOT just accept the GOOD first? WHY are we so quick to BASH someone without having walked in their shoes or know what they are feeling or thinking? Are folks that miserable in their own lives that they want everyone else just as miserable as them?

I personally, thought Chris Brown did an EXCEPTIONAL job in honoring Michael Jackson. I thought he capture the KiNG OF POP's overall love of music, dance and his fans!!!!

STOP NEGATIVE HATING....there's enough hate in the world, we certainly don't need more of it.

June 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. courtney

Look at the poor Country group the Dixie Chicks. They still have not be forgiven for what they said about President Bush and how long has it been since he has been out of office? All this time and they still will not play their good music on the radio. Just sad on so many levels.

June 28, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mother

How many time does a person have to fall on his sword. He is young and made a mistake let him get on please.

June 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dimples

June 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joan

I wonder if this was lets say Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift or one of the Jonas bros who did something horrendous would you be asking almost a year after "are we ready to forgive her/him". The other day I saw an advert with Sean Penn – he was bringing attention to world hunger. Sean Penn beat Madonna but was allowed to move on. Today he is a celebrated artist no one remembers what he did way back then. What about CHARLIE SHEEN why is he still allowed to be on TV, our kids watching him get away with beating his wife (s).

June 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  20. tia

ive been in an abusive relationship and it was hard at first to forgive the guy but in order to move on with my life i had to forgive him and let it go. We all have done something wrong at some point in our lives thats what make us who we are when we grow learn from our mistakes and become better people we build character. He's young and has lots more learning to do and many more mistake to make.

June 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Marie

It's not a matter of should "we" forgive him or not. He has done nothing to me personally, so I have nothing to forgive. He is undoubtedly a very talented young man and as a young man still building his character, is bound to make mistakes (including som every serious ones) but as a young person he is also redeemable. It's up to Rihanna, his family and those close to him to grapple with whether to forgive him. The only issue for me is whether it will be possible to see him sing or dance and think only of how talented he is rather than remember his horrible, violent actions. When I'm being entertained (isn't that what singing and dancing is for), I don't want to be reminded of the horrible assault. Sorry, crying on stage will not erase that connection and I, like many I suppose, still remember his violence whenever I hear him sing or hear his name. This kind of violence is really hard to turn around. I hope for his sake and the sake of all those close to him now and in the future that he works this out of his character. Then maybe once he's got a whole lot of good, positive life experience to share with us, his talent will win out.

June 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. SisBabe

Not my job to forgive Chris of anything. That needs to come from God and Rihanna. He never did anything to me. If his music is good it will sell it it isn't then he will be just another working stiff like me. Wish him good luck in all his future endeavors.

June 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LoopsFroot

R.Kelly and Chris Brown...no thanks....

June 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dimple

So let me get this right. Charlie sheen beats his wife and he gets a 1 million dollar tv show and its still running. Sean Penn beat his ex wife and he gest an oscar.. Polanski admits to butt raping a 13 year old girl and flee the country and still manages to have great success in hollywood! Seems Hollywod and the media and Ignorant general American public are very selective in whose career they distroy for their mistakes and who they forgive. Does race have something to do with it? BTW im not Black

June 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tracie Love

To everyone that doesnt want to forgive CHRIS BROWN...just look it your wrong doings in life and KNOW YOU ARE NOT FORGIVEN EITER...>PERFERCT PEOPLE...be sarcastic

June 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Grace

What am I or anyone else that wasn't directly involved in his situation suppose to forgive him for? I have never held a grudge against him because he hasn't did anything to ME. Rhi and God are the only ones that need to forgive Chris. The public needs to stop acting so righteous and seek forgiveness themselves for being so judgmental.

June 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. tina

My god people he is a human being with flaws. Let the first who is without sin throw the first stone. He made a huge mistake. What if all our flaws and mistakes were public for the WORLD TO SEE AND JUDGE.........No one should hit anyone. Domestic violence is WRONG on any level. But give the man another chance. That was the best MJ tribute to date.............

June 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  27. PJ

What Chris Brown did was wrong nobody disagrees with that. He was punished for what he did. Maybe he can be a better person and learn from his mistakes. We all need to get over it and give him a chance. What I have seen of the performance was wonderful and he did a fantastic job. Let him get on with his life and hopefully show everyone he has change for the better. If God can forgive why can't everyone. great performance.

June 28, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. jan

Chris may be talented, but so was OJ Simpson. How quickly we forget.

June 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

Well, let's see. You're comparing a guy who beat his then-girlfriend to a guy who probably murdered two people, one of them being his ex-wife. Then, he goes on a rampage a couple years later on some memorabilia collector. Hmm.

June 28, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • L

And OJ was never proven to be gui;ty of that particular crime...how soon did you forget!

June 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margie

In case you haven't heard, OJ was acquitted just like all the white men who are acquitted of killing blacks. You wouldn't even care if it were a black woman he was accused of killing.

Unless you have never made a mistake in your entire life, you are in no position to judge anyone else.

June 30, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • symba45

Now this was a really stupid comparison. So its okay for white stars to get a a pass. America is so full of hypocricsy. Women need to keep their hands off of men as well.

July 2, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. lu

Funny!! you want GOD to forgive your sins,, but you refused to forgive some one who do you no wrong.FYI CHRIS BROWN IS TALENTED.

June 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Neil

Christ is a deity to some, just a prophet to others. Either way i am neither and i am not forgiving him. Especially, just because of some emotional performance.

June 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dimple

June 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Careful

Well, Neil, let's just hope you don't make a mistake that will require forgiveness from the other parties.

June 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Neil Supporter

You'll never know, will you? Another stupid response from an idiot that supports a woman beater.

June 29, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. michelle scott

Chris Browm performance was outstanding. I belive he should be forgiven.just like Christ forgives us.

June 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kirkland

Chris' performance is what the BET Awards show needed last year, but BET allowed Jay-Z and Beyonce strong arm them. They said they wouldn't appear/perform if Chris was there, so Chris wasn't invited. I was disappointed in them for that...especially Jay-Z. He, of all people should understand that when you're young you make stupid decisions and mistakes. He professes to have been a drug dealer for Christ's sake! That lifestyle typically means you've hurt plenty of people and have been responsible for lives being lost directly or indirectly. I'm a Jay fan, but he's being a hypocrite.

Isn't it strange that Chris seem to be protecting Rhiana in all his interviews by not telling what she did to him and she never said what she did to him? When celebs get into trouble other people usually come out with allegations saying that they were victims of said celeb too. That never happened with Chris, but as proof of my point look at what happen to Tiger Woods. It seems that it was an isolated incident and he been crucified for it. I DO NOT CONDONE HIS ACTIONS, but we need to address the other side of the coin here. We don't talk enough about women not putting their hands on men. He is young and he's just a human like all of us bloggers. He has a breaking point just like all of us. None of us know what she did to push him to that point, but we know the results of that. If you haven't been pushed to your limit, you don't know what you will and won't do in that situation. FORGIVENESS is a conscious decision to allow God to begin emotional wounds. The physical healing will be take care naturally. We have to decide to allow ourselves and other to get better. If your transgressions were front page news, you would want to put them behind you, get the help you need and have people let you get your life back on track. FORGIVE THE MAN and recognize greatness! Chris Breezy is the best RB has to offer...total package. If you find it too hard to forgive and support him, you should turn your tv off forever, because Hollywood, music/entertainment industruy and professional sports are full of criminals. They get exposed daily but we never stop watching our favorite shows or teams. Hmmmm!

June 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |