June 25th, 2010

The ballroom shuts down on 'SYTYCD'

Despite the judges' shock over such an outcome, I - and probably many other viewers - saw Cristina's position in the bottom three coming a mile away on Thursday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance."

Despite their praise for her performance, there just wasn't the fire or chemistry one might expect from her paso doble with Pasha. And if you can't wow people in your own style, you're not going to get votes.

Most predictable of all was hoofer Melinda joining her there; the bottom three might as well be known as "the bottom two plus Melinda" from now on. If she's not out soon, it will be a big shock. As much as I like her, there are more than enough viewers who really don't.

One thing I didn't see coming was Billy remaining safe after his "failed experiment" of a krump routine, to quote Adam Shankman. I thought he would be in danger for sure, but voters came to his aid and it was Robert - who did as good a job as one could expect keeping up with Anya in the Argentine tango - who rounded out the bottom three.

Following a truly incredible performance by Bryan Gaynor's dance crew, Remote Kontrol, and just before Debi Nova was surrounded by six of the all-stars in a performance that oddly ended in confetti (did Kent win the show already?), we were treated to three lackluster solos. Robert, whom we hadn't really seen perform solo until now, might have been worst of all, but he could have just stood there for 30 seconds and would have been just as safe. This was really a battle between Cristina and Melinda.

Nigel Lythgoe made it clear that he disagreed with his fellow judges' choice to give Cristina the axe. In the midst of Nigel trying to leave her with words of encouragement, he told her that she is sometimes slow to pick up choreography. Way to kick 'em when they're down, Nigel!

What did you think of the results? Did you think Cristina should have stayed? Is it just me, or did the comments from the host and judges seem more bizarre than usual this week (the perils of live TV)? Do you agree that the dancing needs to be a lot more "gorg-ois" next week? Share your thoughts on video here, or in the comments below.

1. Henry Hanks

Dance experience, no, though one of my colleagues does and we discuss the show at length and I get her perspective. Watching "SYTYCD" experience, yes.

June 26, 2010 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jennnn

i would like to know if the author of this article has any dance experience or has any involvement in the dance world because as a dancer myself i was very pleased and not very surprised with the show this week. Billy Bell will be safe for a very long time because hands down he is the one of the greatest dancers of all time and all the real dancers watching the show will want to see him go far. Melinda's lack of technique was evident to any trained eye in her piece with ade (yes she does have nice lines as mia said but there is something 'off' in her movement that definitively sets her apart from say Lauren and Ashley) so i was surprised that she didnt go but i think she will be next because you can only coast for so long

June 26, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. mrskool

I could've see neither Cristina or Melinda go home – neither one impress me much. And altho Robert is a better dancer his personality will do him in eventually. SYTYCD used to be my favorite show. I am so disappointed in the new format with the all stars and i dont think the judges did a very good job of choosing the contestants this time around. Past season contestants seem like pro's compared to some of these newbies.

June 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gomezbaby

OT, but I thought it was so rude how Nigel kept going on and on and on about Travis' choreography wasn't Jazz...and Travis was peaved when Nigel told Tyce "that's a Jazz routine, Tyce, thank you." Anyway, just my thoughts...

June 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Stacey

I agree...Melinda should've gotten the boot! She comes off awkward to me when she "dances". Clearly tapping is not my cup of tea because I've hated all the tappers they've had in the past as well! Crossing fingers we only have 1 more week of her!

June 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SYTYCD

I think they got it right this week. I would have been content with either Melinda or Christina going home. Robert is probably my least favorite guy because of his personality. It's very over the top and starts to grate on you after a while. I do think he has potential though!

June 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kenny

This show is obviously fixed...Cristina did NOT deserve to go home, much less be put in the bottom three. Take the "voting" away from the fans and put control in the hands of the judges!

June 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. debbie

So, when does America get full control of the voting this year ? I really wish the scoring was like DWTS, half from the judges and half from the viewers. And, when and where will Remote Kontrol get more exposure. They were AWESOME !!!!

June 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mad max

oh no!!!!!.............check this out...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7BpCnYF0g

June 25, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |