June 24th, 2010

Will Eminem take Drake's spot at the top of the charts?

One “Relapse” and a “Recovery” later, Eminem is poised to find himself at the top of the music charts.

While Drake’s “Thank Me Later” currently holds the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200, Eminem’s “Recovery” looks to dethrone the young star when sales numbers are released next week.

According to Billboard, “Recovery” (released on June 21) is expected to exceed 600,000 copies by the end of the week. Reports also suggest that “Recovery” could surpass the opening numbers of the legendary Detroit rapper’s mediocre last effort, “Relapse,” which moved 608,000 units.

While some industry insiders will tell you they saw this one coming, fans and critics alike have been split on whether or not Eminem’s music still carries the same lyrical punch and cultural relevance found earlier in his career.

Regardless, this marks the sixth time in a row that Eminem has had an album debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Despite T-Pain’s gripes about a weak sales market and Drake’s astronomical rise to pop success, Eminem seems to carry a star power that withstands the changing tides in the industry.

Did you buy “Recovery?” Let us know what you think.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. ZomBie'

Eminem is the Best!!!! Respects for Drake but noone can replace em :')
    "you're never over" "talkin' 2 myself" "25 to life" best raps ever!!! and by who?!?!?! E-M-I-N-E-M!!!! *vows down* :D

January 10, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. J.A.C

I tried to buy it the first week but it was sold out everywhere. second week i bought it and i have to say it is awesome Eminem is no doubt the reigning KING of RAP

July 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. G

Only albums I buy are Emeniem's and Red hot chili peppers, neither disappoint.

July 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JackNasty

Yo Em......Welcome back to life man! Was pretty disappointed with the last album, not gonna lie. Recovery just took Hip Hop to another level and we all benefit from it! Drake, Lil Wayne, Hov I don't think you can touch this one, but can't wait to hear you try. Not sure if Pac touched this one. He was locked in on 90% of this album, Not Afraid is the 5th or 6th best song on this album. For the guy who said this doesn't take talent, I give you 6 months to spit one line off this album, and you wouldn't even get close. Thanks EM and.........How's you day going?

June 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. talent

Greatest album ever, recovery = illmatic, eversince its leaked ive been stuck on this album its all i listen to, i dnt kno about anybody else but to me its da best hip hop album ever released, hes such a monster he tore dis album up, a lot of work even into the album look, eminem has offically took hip hop back from lil wayne

June 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Parko

One word... A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

p.s.- drake sucks compared to eminem or any other real hip-hop artist.

June 28, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Juan

Recovery is by far Eminem's greatest album. It's very addictive! I've listened to it over 5 times from start to finish.

June 27, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Black101

bought the album on Tuesday sorry so late SLIM. This album makes me feel like this is whats been missing in my life for a few years now... im so glade the real living legend is back

June 26, 2010 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Evan

Album is great, best album out right now and the rest of rap is kind of sucking... bad, and Joe, rap is technically lyrical poetry so i guess poetry takes no talent, u prob like screamo...

June 26, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jayson

i got recovery and it is easily the best album ive litsened to recently. shady is back for sure. hopefully he stays

June 25, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

"not a negative post yet???!!!"

Rap sucks. It is not even music. It takes no talent and blows completely.

June 25, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. @ReanuKeeves

Em put in the work and bounced back hard after Relapse. Recovery is his best album since MM. #speakingthetruth

June 25, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. cnntrolls

not a negative post yet???!!!

June 25, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Shana

I am glad eveyones feedback is positive, im going to pick his album up today as soon as i get off work! thank you!

June 25, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Chels

Okay Drake came from a TV show where he was in a wheel chair, not very "gangster" if you ask me. But Eminem is very much gangster, even in the movie he starred in. I'm not saying Drake isn't a good rapper because he is but Eminem has more experience and I think he will overpower Drake but only but a little.

June 25, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  16. HST3

I bought Drake's CD the day it was released and it is the best album made this year. More hits then Blue Print 3 in my opinion. Then, Tuesday rolled around and Eminem did not let me down. Just when I thought my music selection this year couldnt get any better "M" drops his best work since the Shady LP. His track W.T.P is proof the lyrical mastermind we all know is still relevant and funny as ever. True entertainment. Dude is straight gifted........80 million sold and counting EM. DO YO

June 25, 2010 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bootleg

By far the best work his has done. Lyrically its a masterpiece, none of the corny voices, and not a lot of the tired old Dre beats. Of the 17 tracks 8 have potential to be hits on the hip hop charts and the remaining are very good. Don't hate on it before you give it a chance. Go to youtube and preview some of the tracks.

June 25, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  18. Anetka

This is the only album I bought in 2 years. I made sure to run to the store to buy it the morning it showed up on the shelves. This album is truly amazing. To have a guy like Eminem, who went through so much hardship in his life, talk about bettering himself, and doing good, how can it not inspire us to do the same. Lyrically, he is the best. He is a genius. The song with Lil Wayne, No Love, was off the chain. I love it. My favorite song. I love Eminem's new style.

June 25, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. scs

Relapse was a lil dark for me but I liked it. But I do think recovery is better. This might be his best yet. It's real on a whole new level...but still has some humor. Haven't bought it yet but I certainly will.

June 24, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kevin

I downloaded the album about a week ago and havent listened to anything else since. anyone hating on the cd is a MORON. lyrical masterpiece

June 24, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. nonny

i think recovery is an amazing album, so glad it is doing well.

June 24, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ami

I bought this CD and all I have to say is I can't stop listening to it! Really.. I listen to it at home, then at work. Friggin Amazing! Won't back down is just ..ya.. just go buy the cd.. haha.

June 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Greg

This is the only album i have bought this year and last year relapse was the only cd i bought. Recovery is probably his best album and EM is the best out there since Tupac.

June 24, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jessica

I did buy Recovery and I think that it is the best record of his career!
    It's the first CD I actually bought this year. CD sales may be down but there are still some worth buying and this is one of them!

June 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. B-Mont

Great album!! Brings you back to some old school Eminem. I have the new Drake album and was surprised it didn't live up to the expectations it has. Stick to singles Drake or mix up your music a bit. Drake's album is like Eminem's Relapse, didn't quite meet expectations. Couple good tracks but that's it.

June 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  26. PiercedPsycho

Relapse was weak? I love that album; it's what turned me into a genuine fan.

I do want to buy Recovery but....money is tight at the moment. Alas.

June 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • reyopja

Dude, Best Buy has it for $9.99 right now, sell some old video games or blood or something and get it.

June 25, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  27. iam bey

this is by far his best stuff... ive been a fan for years but this came from his heart.... dont sleep on EMINEM....No one can mess this album...long live dr.dre and eminem

June 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  28. good stuff

on a different note, this cd is AMAZING. its his best effort yet, you can feel his emotion in his songs and it is very inspiring.

June 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle gee

i need eminem for a sponsor or want ha so im dissin him on utube by jul4 tell ur freinds its called suicide lil sometihin i derived inside get at me 8145581464 its a diss towards a girl of course haha

June 25, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. Fred

Why the hell purchase this disposible product (music) when one can easily acess and download it for free!

June 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • good stuff

@fred how would you like it if you showed up to work expecting your pay check and your boss told you that you were working for free?

June 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Fred

WELL, when you like the product the artist brings out why wouldn't you support him?

Good stuff is right.

June 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle gee

im dissin u by jul 4 man

June 25, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  30. John Parks

Loving Drakes new album but I cant wait for EM's!!- My new group and I just submitted our tunes to be on a new movie soundtrack (any other singers out there can do the same). Google imadeamovie and let me know what u think ouf us... thanks for the feedback!!

June 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Steve Paulson

I bought Recovery. It is the illest and most killer record around. Nothing can touch Eminem lyrically.

June 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |