June 23rd, 2010

Twihard tent city erected in L.A.

A true Twihard knows that seeing “Eclipse” at midnight on the day it’s released after having a marathon session of the first two films in the saga just isn’t enough.

No, one has to travel to Los Angeles and camp out for days in Nokia Plaza for Thursday's premiere to really show “Twilight” devotion.

And so camp out they have. As CNN iReporter Julie Ellerton noted, people came from across the U.S. to pitch tents as early as Monday at 6 a.m. so they could get a prime R.Patz/K.Stew/T.Lautner viewing spot when the cast walks down the red carpet on June 24. So many have descended upon downtown L.A. that another iReporter, Justin Dickerson, mistook the hordes of campers for Lakers fans.

But of course, there are rules: Nokia officials require that all the campers keep wristbands on at all times until after the premiere is over, and there's no cooking on site. An estimated 9,000 wristbands are being handed out on a first come, first serve basis that will determine the fan's placement in the viewing area on Thursday.

But how are they getting dressed every day? We've camped out overnight for concert tickets and understand that in such situations, getting front-row seats precedes cleanliness, but for four days? Hopefully vampires like ‘em smelly.

Filed under: movies • Twilight

1. Hans

Hollywood has saturated us with everything Twilight. Frankly, it is getting monotonous and quite disturbing that Hollywood has created this fan obsession. These Twilight stars are terrified to go outside and live normal lives. Hollywood has created a stalking machine for all the sake of money and it has ruined these young stars lives.

July 10, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Melissa

Someone should have set fire to it. That'd be more interesting than suffering through yet another crappy teeny movie with horrible actors and bad dialogue.

July 7, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. morgansmedia

Don't they already have a gay pride parade, now this?

July 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Holly

I am a twilight fan, but good lord. That's pretty extreme camping out for 4 days just for a movie O.O;

July 6, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. DEB

I'm from Port Angeles and we hate Twihards. They draw on the sidwalks and block the streets and anyone willing to camp out for a week in pacific northwest weather is an idiot. And the sad thing is that all the people camping out aren't even from the area. Freaks

July 2, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mejazzbo

A crushing bore unless you are a teenage girl. The third installment, a film that goes nowhere. A rental at best.

July 1, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Toni PA

WELL i guess im a twi tard too lol.. i love twilight saga

June 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bryan

Well, I just saw a midnight show of this and it's horrible. Bad acting, lame dialogue, and not worth anyone's time. I feel sorry for all those that waited like that. Tragic.

June 30, 2010 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. callerolen

It really is sad that people have to say something negative about other ppl that are just enjoying themselves. So what if its a movie, or if its stars, the entire point is the entertainment. At least with what they are doing isn't an illegal thing. They believe in something... I rather see ppl camping out for a movie than starting riots and trashing the streets. Just leave them alone!!!

June 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NOTwilight Fann

Wow the amount of HATERS is astounding. Let them do what they want and enjoy what they want. Who are we to harsh their mellow? I don't like the books or movies but they are having a good time and in this day and age I take my JOY any way I can. Go Twihards!

June 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Paul

These people need to get real jobs.

June 23, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • JodieO

I know people who have gone to LA for this event. One is an insurance agent, one is an accountant, two are lawyers, one works in the automotive industry. Are these not real jobs?

June 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GiveThemABreak

What is with all the anger and hatred? This is a group of people who thoroughly enjoy the Twilight movies and stars. They're not serial killers or terrorists! It's summer break and a lot of people go on vacation all summer so what is the big deal if they choose this venue for that vacation? Doesn't anybody remember what it is like to have a passion for something and in that rare instance get to have an outlet for that?

I hope they all have a blast! Good for them!

June 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah

I like the Twilight series, but I wouldn't get within 100 yards of something like this. If it were a Star Wars convention, that might be a different story...

June 23, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. vdee08

GET A LIFE LOSERS!!!!!!! Its just a movie and the actors/actresses are just people, just like you and me. They put their pants on the same way you a d I do, one leg at a time. Stop worshiping these Hollywood morons and wishing you could live in some movie/fantasy world and create your own life. Trust me its much more interesting and exciting.

June 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alex Winter

Tools.

June 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TeamJ

They're camping out for the movie, AND to see the stars on the red carpet.

June 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bellatrix

Actually, they can't even see the film, just a 10 second glimpse of the stars. The actual film premiere is invitation only.

June 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Hater

Where's the Taliban when you really need them?

June 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gene

I'm not into Twilight, but I can understand the "fan" aspect. My spouse and I camped out to watch the last LOTR after a marathon of the extended editions on the big screen of the first two. It was a blast. I've also camped for sports tickets. It's fun. I've never seen a Twilight film and can't imagine camping for a premiere, but since I have for another movie, I can't judge too harshly.

June 23, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Char

I love the movies too but geez, it's not like it's any different whether you see it the first time or the 20th airing of the movie.

June 23, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JodieO

How is this any worse than camping out for a sporting event? Or concert tickets? Or the people who camp out in Times Square to watch the ball drop? I wouldn't camp out for anything, but who am I to judge those who will? They seem to be having fun. What's so wrong with that?

And as Rese pointed out, those with nearby hotel rooms are allowed to come and go, so they ARE able to shower and change clothes and use the rest room.

It's also my understanding that they are handing out 900 wristbands, not 9000. I realize it's a blog, but I'd expect one writing for cnn.com to do better research. Or were the facts skewed because heaping condescension on Twi-hards is the new cool thing to do?

June 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dummygal

Really Rese? How can these kids afford a hotel, let alone also pay for a trip across the county? They're mostly high school age and wouldn't have jobs I'm assuming, right? Mommy/Daddy give the spoiled brats money and the freedom to do this? I feel a Nancy Grace story coming..."15-year old girl goes missing after pilgrimage to see movie."

June 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JodieO

Perhaps I missed something, Dummygal, but where does it say that these fans are mostly high school age?

June 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

Why do you assume that all Twihards are young teenage girls? People of ALL ages, race, and gender love Twilight, not just 15 year old girls. The mommies are probably standing right beside their "spoiled brats" (those are your words, not mine). Do you know ANYTHING about this phenomenon?
      As a side note, I love Twilight but not that much. I'm not downing them for camping out for something they love. Rock it out, Twihards! Hope you have a great time!

June 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kelli

WOW!! The negitivity is rancid! Seriously we are out here for the fun of it! And we're all going out and taking showers...all of you haters just don't get it!

June 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • JodieO

Good luck!

June 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gloria

Hi!! have fun, take a lot a pictures and just ignore the bad things people are saying . Wish I was there but I live to far away I'm from Texas. Wish you the best. GO TWILIGHT!!

June 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thorne

Have fun!!!

June 23, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • TeamEdward

Hi Kelli, hope you campers are having a great time. I'm jealous! Just ignore the haters and enjoy! Go team edward!

June 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Chrissy

Sounds like fun but I don't have the money nor the time to do this. Have fun you fellow Twilight Junkies;)

June 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Joe

If thyere is ever a point in your life where you wonder whether or not you are a loser, just ask yourself if you camped out for Twilight. You'll have your answer.

June 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pam

I love Twilight as much as the next teen (or teens mom) but dang I'm do NOT camp not even for Edward Cullen.

June 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lorin

I love Twilight, however, I don't understand the concept of camping out for a movie! IDK... ???

June 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Martin

How can you say a group of people having fun, doing something that they find exciting and makes them happy Losers. Have you never done anything for the fun of it in your life. If not then maybe you are the loser

June 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thorne

Because some people need to hate Martin. It's sad, but true. My only concern would be the age of some of the folks there, but if they're not hurting anyone and having a good time why not? It isn't like they're picketing Bush at his ranch. ! I heard the Hampton Inn was passing out blankets and pillows, sounds like the Hampton Inn knows a good selling point when they see one. As for the ones who have jobs or "need to get them"... so this is their vacation.. hate on you sad little haters. I like to sit in a tent in the woods they like to do this. Good for them.

June 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tory

Thank you, Martin. I agree. These folks are enjoying themselves. There is nothing wrong with that!

June 30, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  28. Scott

Wow... what a bunch of LOSERS!

June 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jeff

They should have camped for an Iphone that is worth more then that crappy movie.

June 23, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rese

Most of the people camped out have a hotel somewhere where they are going and taking showers and getting changed. They are prepared!

June 23, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Buffy

@ Ms. Smith Agreed.

June 23, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. rissu

More like Twi-Tards

June 23, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ms. Smith

Sounds the cops have a lot of miscreants to drive out.

June 23, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |