June 23rd, 2010

Conan starts Twitter feud with Lance Armstrong

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong proved he was a good sport when Conan O’Brien kicked off a hilarious Twitter feud yesterday by calling him boring.

Referring to the summer solstice, O’Brien wrote to his millions of followers, “Yesterday was the longest day of the year, unless you count the time I interviewed Lance Armstrong.”

But Armstrong, who promoted his book “Comeback 2.0: Up Close and Personal” on O’Brien’s “Tonight Show” last December, one-upped the late-night comic by tweeting back, “All you wanted to talk about was riding bikes and shaving your legs. It was, uh, slightly freaky.”

“I was drunk,” O'Brien explained. “And I wanted some tips for smoother legs. Is that so wrong?”

Not at all. Armstrong, 39, tweeted early this morning that the Tour de France organizers are “willing to allow us to have a 10th rider,” asking O’Brien, “You ready?”

1. j

Zoglet says: January 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

After the disgrace of Armstrong admitting he took drugs and cheated, should all astronauts now have to face regular drug tests? Also, are astronauts good at cycling because of the zero-G?

January 25, 2013 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. icon collection

I congratulate, this idea is necessary just by the way

October 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. improve golf skills

Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Very helpful information specifically the closing section :) I maintain such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

September 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dessux Dessous Reizwäsche Onlineshop

I'm not sure the place you're getting your information, however great topic. I must spend a while studying more or working out more. Thank you for great info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

August 25, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. jual kaos berkualitas

Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I'm surprised why this twist of fate did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

July 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Amazon Best Selling

Someone essentially assist to make severely posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular post extraordinary. Magnificent activity!

June 27, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Buy Cisco

Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness on your put up is just great and i can suppose you're knowledgeable on this subject. Well together with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with coming near near post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

June 18, 2012 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. Business To Make Money From Home

Woah this blog is wonderful i love studying your posts. Keep up the great work! You already know, many people are looking round for this info, you can aid them greatly.

June 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SEO services

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my website =). We will have a hyperlink alternate contract among us

June 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PS Filters

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you've introduced on your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too quick for starters. Could you please prolong them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

June 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Convert your website in to Wordpress

You already know therefore significantly in terms of this subject, produced me personally consider it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be interested until it's one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time maintain it up!

June 14, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. SolnceMy

Hack again?!

April 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

Interesting new interview with former announcer of Late Night Joel Godard on http://www.mattsky.com.

June 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. keith

they're both idiots

June 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. annie

I love Coco.

June 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cris

Please disclose if CNN, or its affiliates own stock or have a business relationship with in Twitter.

June 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mel

To Allen Blackburn...thank you for your post. Hope Rich and Kevin read it, but I doubt that they would believe something that made so much sense.

June 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. viggity_v

People who find Jay Leno funny cannot think on their own, plus they suck in real life. It's a fact.
    People who find Conan funny have a brain and are thus awesome. I know because I'm awesome.

June 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Melanie

Lance is a good sport. The headline was a little misleading and I was happy to read that it had a happy ending. I have a lot of respect for Lance and until someone PROVES that he was blood doping, I will always respect him.

June 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jay Kay

That is a real knee-slapper!

June 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. buccakenji

Sounds like good-natured fun to me.....

June 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. stu

conan & lance=2 BIG yawns!

June 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

Armstrong IS boring. He friggin rides a bicycle for a living.

June 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • zinger

And you probably work in a cubicle all day. There really isn't a huge difference.

June 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • willair

He races a bike for a living and makes millions. And you? Perhaps you could clock 70 mph on 22 cm tires and not go flying of a cliff. If you can't handle that, leg press your body weight plus 20 lbs at rate of 70 to 100 reps per minute for an hour. That would give you some idea of one HC climb in the Tour. Let me know how you feel after five minutes of this or if you make five minutes.

June 24, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kate

"Feud" is clearly misused in this headline. Editor!

June 23, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kristina

Conan did a show in Michigan, it was fantastic, can't wait to see him back on tv. You're awesome Conan!

June 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kevin

Not news.

Armstrong's BLOOD DOPING is a real story. Too bad everyone things he's untouchable.

June 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allen Blackburn

And you know this factual; "Blood Doping" by how? Let's analyze this. Lance gets tested randomly whenever the cycling federation wants him tested. It just so happens that he is tested at least a couple of times per week on a random basis. When I say random he could have been tested yesterday and they showed up at his house again today. They can also show up again tomorrow. There is no pattern that can be ascertained by this randomness because it is done by a computer. It now is stated, by self-confessed liar Floyd Landis, that Lance tested positive years ago and paid off a laboratory person. Now, since Lance is randomly tested hundreds of times per year, he just so happens to have tested positive that one time and paid the guy off? Not likely. The testing that my lab does sends people to jail or prison or, takes away their right to practice medicine, fly airplanes, partake in their livelihood, etc. so, there is a lot riding on the results being factual. Lance is one of the most tested athletes in the world and the cycling community has been held to a much higher standard than any other organized sport. Years ago Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, etc weren't even tested at all while Lance was submitting to blood, urine, hair samples long before other organized sports jumped on the bandwagon. I am highly doubtful that Lance has doped and his cancer treatment made him oxygenate at a level that is just plain freaky for an athlete. If you read some of the tests that have been done on him to be able to figure out how he does what he does the science is there. It sure beats all of the speculation that he's a doper because you want him to be one or don't believe that there are any good people left in our country anymore. That would be a shame.

June 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. abigail

Conan is a fool. Since he lost his show he has been embarrassing himself nonstop just to get attention.

June 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Joseph

This isn't a feud...this is banter. Two classy guys having fun with each other.

June 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jackie

Paul – I agree 100% !!

June 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  30. JohnRJ08

Conan O'Brien is fading into the obscurity that he so richly deserves. A talented writer, he should never have allowed his ego and ambition put him in front of the camera rather than behind it. Manufacturing Twitter feuds with celebrities won't revive his career.

June 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silas Scarborough

Don't look now, sunshine. It already has.

June 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • As I See It

I don't think Conan was trying to manufacture a feud. He was just being snarky at someone else's expense which is standard for Conan. I don't think he expected Armstrong to reply. Armstrong did and did it well. Conan never wants anyone to come off better than he does, so he came back with a stupid response. You can be sure Conan will now play it up for all it's worth.

June 23, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sam

Now Ben Stiller is joining the fray. He retweeted Lance's offer and offered that he was available (to ride in TDF).

June 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jeremiah quarles

Brett,

What did you expect to find in the entertainment section? Moron.

June 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Paul

Let's get clear about a couple of items because I'm getting a little sick and tired of a few things people seem to do here a lot:

1. What kind of numbnut takes the time to create an account (or whatever is needed) to post "is this news?" or similar thoughts. If you read the story and you don't consider it "news", then why waste even more time talking about it? Just quit reading the story and move on to something that meets your standards of journalistic integrity and worth. Don't bother everyone else with your tired, clichéd response. A lot of you are doing this, and it's really unnecessary and annoying.

2. It's in the Entertainment section, so yes...it's "entertainment news". If you know, going in, that you're not going to be all that interested in an item about Conan O'Brien and/or Lance Armstrong, then why in the hell are you even clicking the link? I don't click links to stories about Miley Cyrus or Heidi Montag, read them, get all bent out of shape and then get on some journalistic high-horse and ask "is this news?" for everyone to read.

I simply don't read the damn thing in the first place. Then it doesn't have to bother me.

See how that works?

Learn to use the Internet, people. Not every link has to be clicked. And not every story has to be commented on. Save it up until you've actually got something worth saying. It works out better for everyone involved.

June 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • zippy258

Amen! Thank you Paul.

June 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

I completely agree with you, Paul.

However, it's going to keep happening... too bad your sound words aren't read by the majority of those who do such commenting. It's a shame, really. Regardless, well said.

June 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Raiche58

@ Spendlove.....HILARIOUS!!

June 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Robert

How can Conan O'Brien call someone else BORING???? He is the biggest bore on TV since Joey Bishop!!! I have tried to watch his show. I can only last about two minutes.

June 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. AldoP

Conan's gone from D-List celebrity you can ignore to D-List celebrity you would like to kick in the teeth. What a jerk. When will this guy just go away? No one watches him. No one wants him. How much did he pay for THIS coverage. He and Perez Hilton should be cast adrift in a lifeboat together in the middle of the Pacific.

June 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. USAfan

Yeah Conan all you have to do is shoot steroids and embarace the American athlete and you are in!

June 23, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. bluenote

You know, I thought I was cynical, until I started reading some of the comments on here. Damn, you guys are some seriously unhappy people.

June 23, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Tell the truth

Conan's questions were all wrong- should have asked for tips on doping and getting by with it. Hey Lance- is that your urine in your bladder? No, I didn't think so either.

June 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. joe

I did not think it was possible for that doofus Conan to get any less funny than he was on the Tonight Show. This twitter exchange proves me wrong. Conan, please accept my apology.

June 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

You're right. It doesn't get any funnier than Jay's 1 liners followed by the rimshot to let you know when to laugh. And that Jaywalking bit he stole from Howard Stern? Hilarious.

June 23, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I did not think it was possible for anyone to be less funny than Leno. That doofus Conan proved my wrong on that as well. I should stop underestimating his ability to be boring and unfunny. His talents in that realm are limitless.

June 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ell Gee

I think Conan is a riot and a class act! I can't wait for his show on TBS.

June 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Exactly! Unlike Jay "Aw Shucks, lemme stab you in the back" Leno, Conan is actually funny and his humor is relevant and requires you to think.

June 23, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL

Requires you to think??? We're talking about Conan here, right?

June 23, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. As I See It

Conan will do anything to stay in the public eye. He's so afraid everyone will forget him by November. A bicycle race could be his next publicity stunt, so I won't be surprised if Conan takes him up on it. Conan has tried every way possible to stay a media wh*re.

June 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. zippy258

I thought this was funny. See I like to laugh. And when I come to the entertainment section I'm not looking for serious stories. I'M LOOKING FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!! morons...

June 23, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  44. CATom

Conan reminds me of lady gaga except more feminine

June 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Robert

Who cares...Conan who?

June 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Rich

Armstrong is a drug dope, he cheated! He should be ashamed of himself. Already 2 or 3 former team mates all say he took steroids during past Tours. he treated them with violence and threatenes anyone who dares to call him a cheat. I live in Austin Texas by the way and am no fan of this pig-head.

June 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • von Winskinheimer

Rich, unless you have proof that he cheated, you are pretty much a know-nothing blowhard. Lance gets tested so often that more of his urine goes in test tubes than toilets. He's never been proven to be a cheater. Until someone gets the goods on him, he's innocent and a winner. Unlike you.

June 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jjboston

Wait for another 5 or 10 yrs, he will come out and admit it himself so as to attract some attention.

June 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • TDF

Lance is NOT a cheater. Lance is one of the best athletes the world has ever seen. He is also one of the most tested athletes in the world. The UCI shows up on his doorstep all the time. Every test is NEGATIVE!

June 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Stevie J

Really, like anyone cares about anything that Conan has to say, the ratings for The Tonight Show proved that no one was paying attention then, why should they pay attention now?

June 23, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  48. ColdMolasses

Whoa, CNN huge feud there. /sarc. Common CNN PLEASE stop mislabeling stories.

June 23, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  49. Name Witheld

Would've been funnier to me if Lance told him in order to qualify, he had to lose a testicle.

June 23, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  50. Adam

How is this a FUED?

June 23, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  51. James

This is the entertainment section. So, yes, it is news.

June 23, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  52. brett

Is this really news?

June 23, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Spendlove

It is when you're first waking up in the morning while enjoying some coffee and what not.. who the hell wants to read about Kim Jong-Il when they're half asleep.

June 23, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • brenda

it's supposed to be good for a chuckle. i guess you're opposed to that. in which case, you didn't have to click on it (and you definitely didn't have to leave a comment).

June 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • kate

It's called the Marquee Blog...probably not where you should be looking for your news, Brett.

June 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • FrustratedInFlorida

No one made you read it Brett! If you don't like it, than DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!

DUH.

June 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not News

NO this is not news, looks like the media wants to start something.

June 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mick

Loser

June 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeoman Johnson

Please CNN readers – no more posts asking "Is this really news?" PLEASE let me read my Lady Gaga snippets and stories about Arkansas politics in peace. Let me have my Heidi Montag drivel. Let me read my stories about how family dinner has changed over the last 30 years. Let me read about how the Jumanji or Ganje ball or whatever it is is affecting the World Cup, which is a sport, as a red blooded American, that I don't really care about after my 6 year old stops playing it and switches to baseball next year, just like my 8 year old did before him. Let me read about how the Obama's dog is coming along and getting used to life on the national stage. Let me read my drivel! I want my banality! Yes, my wife has two college degrees from a Big Ten university and reads Us magazine! Why you hatin? Get off my cloud! Yes, I am educated, have a six figure job, and I still clicked on the Twitter feud between a guy that rides a bicycle a lot, and a guy that got 40 million bucks and said he got screwed. THIS IS AMERICA. We all clicked on this because we wanted to read it. Life is so good here that we can talk about stuff like this. Most of us aren't starving. Most of us have roofs over our heads. There aren't bullets flying over our heads. We aren't going to wake up tomorrow and wonder where the next meal is coming from (I am going to make the assumption that if you are paying for broadband internet that you aren't doing that in lieu of eating.) Let's be thankful for what we have, and maybe reach out around us to Americans first that maybe need a lift. When every last American has a job and a meal, then let's save the world. But let me have my entertainment news. Ok?

June 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Don

So Brett ... are you or are you not going to play for the Vikings this year?

Me thinks you're jealous that HIS comeback is actually working ... and he can still have kids with just one ... uhh, you know

June 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grim

Of course this isn't news. You are reading a blog!

June 23, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jangocat

Your not in the news section, don't you see that giant font at the top of the screen that says CNN Entertainment?

June 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

And why do we care what washed-up Conan has to say?

June 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • a

Then don't read it!

June 23, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • redcurry

Well said, Yeoman Johnson. Brett, take your shortsightedness elsewhere. Loser.

June 23, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • MT

You're reading an article on the "Marquee Blog" of CNN's Entertainment section. Is that a serious question?

June 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

IMPEACH OBAMA, do you understand the concept of being on-topic?

June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |