June 22nd, 2010

'The Bachelorette': Who IS that guy?

On last night's leg of "The Bachelorette's" love journey, the nine remaining contestants arrived in Iceland, where Chris Harrison informed them that there would be an individual date, a group date and a two-on-one date.

Unlike previous weeks, the individual date was decided via the stroke of a pen. Specifically, the men had to write a love poem, complete with Icelandic words and phrases, and read them to Ali; the poem she liked best would win.

After much scribbling and grabbing Icelandic people off the street, the poetry reading was on, and Chris N. was ready to speak.

Who's Chris N.? Many of you asked that question last week, as the Florida entrepreneur managed to survive several eliminations without saying a word or doing anything of interest. After his performance at the poetry reading - which included rhyming "out" with "out" and forgetting his lines - perhaps it's better that he remain silent.

In the end, Kirk won the individual date thanks to a reading that included a few theatrics with his words.

(A note to the nine men from this creating writing minor - poems don't have to rhyme. Penning a haiku or sestina would have been a home run.)

Kirk and Ali spent their day in Iceland's capital, putting on funny sweaters and feeding geese, which is more of a plot device to get an 80s movie going than an actual date. The two then head to dinner, where Kirk talks about a severe health scare he had some time ago in quite specific detail. Never mind whether Kirk would get the rose - would Ali actually eat her dinner?

Nonetheless, Ali is happy that Kirk decided to be so open with her, and gave him the rose.

Six men were on horseback for the group date, which ended up at a cave for some spelunking. Chris L. gave Ali his gloves to keep her fingers warm, Frank got upset that Ali was focusing on Chris L. and Ty and the others wondered what "spelunking" is.

The gang then headed to a "special" lake called the Blue Lagoon, where they stripped down to their bathing suits and hopped into the water. It was like a beer commercial come to life. When all was said and done, Ty got a rose.

Justin the wrestler and wrist-tattooed Kasey were picked for the two-on-one date, where one of them would be eliminated at the end of the day. Ali and the men took a helicopter to the volcano that disrupted European air travel earlier this year, and then went to a cave for some one-on-one time. Kasey finally showed Ali his wrist tattoo; Ali, meanwhile, thinks Kasey's mother will kill him.

Justin ended up getting the rose while Kasey was left on a glacier, pondering where to find tattoo removal and diction specialists when he gets home.

At the cocktail party, Ali asked Chris N. to tell her one thing about him that she'd like to know. Rather than telling Ali his name, Chris N. mentioned that his guilty pleasure is Mexican food. Ladies and gentleman, I give you the least interesting man in the world.

Ali only needed to eliminate one contestant at the rose ceremony, and that contestant was Chris N., who stepped into the limousine of shame, ready to paint the town beige.

Next week, the gang heads to Turkey, where the men literally fight for Ali as one contestant is exposed as a true turkey.

What did you think of last night's "Bachelorette" episode?

1. you can work on this stuff while she is out of town..

she is worse then a junkie

August 7, 2013 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. all troll comments attached...these are all reminders 2 you guys

dating services all analyzed

August 7, 2013 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. All the other are drives also what do you expect

did you expect anything else from a low end ho....

all troll remarks...attached right?

August 7, 2013 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. She is responsbile for S-xless marriage we just go word

what do you expect from hoe

August 7, 2013 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. 04Y2e3uEMZlmy

946274 412418An extremely intriguing examine, I could possibly not concur entirely, but you do make some quite valid points. 910819

August 7, 2013 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • s-xless marriage log ins...

she is responsible for everything...

MOST HATED NOW

August 7, 2013 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. here

I feel this is one of the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should observation on some common issues, The website taste is great, the articles is truly nice : D. Good activity, cheers

June 22, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mia

I think Ali is afraid to fall in love with Roberto, hes too perfect, he is the perfect catch, hes sincere, honest and hot! But ali is "GUARDING AND PROTECTING HER HEART", shes too insecure to fall in love with Roberto...too bad...he should be the next bachelor, someone good looking for a change! Frank will break her heart if she chooses him because hes too jealous; Jealousy from the show will distroy their relationship. Who would want to picture their girl(or guy) kissing and being close with another?? I think Frank is the type that will constantly bring up the past. Ty is too traditional, he does not agree with hard working women. Kirk is great, positive and funny...he my type. Its not Ali's though...shes too professional...lol...last but not least...Chris L is the man. Thats all Folks

June 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mel

I liked The Lawyer,,,,and Hey will someone send Ali a box of Hair Dye,,,,I hate her Roots!

June 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cindy

justin is the one with the gf!

June 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PATSY

I think Jake is gay anway If he is not he is strange anyway. Didn't like him last season something about him
    He is for himself

June 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jack

My wife and I like reality shows. THey are more real and like non fiction. We do not like sitcoms. They are fiction and the writer can do what he or she wishes with the plot. Sitcoms are phony.

The best sitcom ever was Fraiser. Well written, funny and great actors.

June 28, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. cmb

And I quote: (A note to the nine men from this creating writing minor – poems don't have to rhyme. Penning a haiku or sestina would have been a home run.)

Seriously, you expect those brainiacs to even know what haiku or sestina are? I thnk you're giving this year's bachelors wait too much credit. You're lucky they even knew how to rhyme, sort of.

June 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alistplumbers

when asked about his guilty pleasures he said mexican food, and that his past girl friends said he was funny?! you might not know who this dude is, but you know what he is....UGLY!

June 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mindy

I didnt even know the new bachelorette was on! OMG..... When did it start?

June 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Elle

LadyBird – you are spot on....that is exactly what I think. In the end she won't chose either men just like Brad did not chose either woman. That has been my take from the beginning. I think Ali is there for air time, just like Jake and Vienna only wanted air time. As soon as the public wasn't interested in Jake and Vienna, they broke up – big surprise! I don't think Ali will choose anyone...she enjoys her single life way too much!

June 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jamie

Justin's the one with the girlfriend... she's a friend of mine. Her name's Jessica, and she was fully supportive of Justin going on the show to promote his career. Come to find out he was seeing another girl on the side... so long Justin not going to miss you at all.

June 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Margie H Wood

I hope that Jake reappears on the scenefor Ali. I hope that Justin goes soon as he is definitely a publiciity seeker. I am impressed with Craig. Doesn't anyone else care for Craig?

June 25, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. carolyn

I think Ali will end up picking no one......she does not have her heart in this and it is quite obvious–flaky, enuf said !

June 25, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  19. superfankph

Watching this season makes me long for Jake and Vienna. True story.

June 25, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  20. Barb

Its Steve or Justin

June 24, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MaryAngeline

This season is sooo boring. I liked Ali in the last season of The Bachelor, but now she lacks sincerity. She seems so phony, and the guys are all boring! The selection of bachelors was really terrible. Bet the ratings are way down this season.

June 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maria

Wasted season ? Seems more like a really wasted use of airtime on network television ! No wonder network television is scrambling to survive.

June 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LadyBird

Justin has a girlfriend. Frank has a girlfriend. The staff have always known it. It has already been publicized. Roberto is too good for Ali. She won't pick him because he is out of her league. In fact, she will end up not picking anyone. Wasted season.

June 24, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sara

Is anyone annoyed with Ali at all?? In the season with Jake, all she talked about was how much she loved her family and grandmother and how important work was. It seemed like she had very strong values. Now all she does is laugh and get drunk. never once have you heard her talk about her family. I personally don’t think Ali was a good choice and is acting fake...her and Justin belong together...harsh i know, but the truth.

June 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. deb

My favorite is Chris L. Roberto is hot but seems to be losing steam. Kirk would be my second choice. I'm glad Kasey is gone. He's just strange.

June 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. rene

I know everyone is picking on Chris N. He is probably a really nice guy, just the wrong kind of show for him to be on with all the other arrogant guys.He didn't stand a chance. I think he should be the next bachelor!! She certainly has had the best group of guys to choose from compared to some of the past shows. I think she will surprise us in the end and possibly not pick Roberto.

June 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tammy

First of all... if Kasey hadn't spent so much time trying to convince Ali and everyone else that his heart was in it... and he was there for her... and there to guard her heart yada yada yada ... mabe he may have had a chance. I believe the only reason she kept him so long was because he resembled Jake! It's a good thing Jake and Vienna just broke up, otherwise Ali might have turned up MIA...on the show!!!

June 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lisa

I think the final two will be Chris L and Roberto. Read between the lines of in Turkey the men will fight for Ali and one will really be the turkey, hence Justin is an enternainment fighter he will be exposed as having the girlfriend. Knew Vienna and Jake wouldnt last. He should have picked Tenley!

June 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Susan

Justin has the girlfriends!! I don't Ali will pick anyone. This guy Chris who was thrown off last night maybe came on the show to have his face and name out there. Look what he does as for employment. Also if you follow Reality Steve he has all the updates and leak's to the show. Frank has a girl back home and the producer's knew about it. This show is good for drama and ratings and were all sucked in.

June 22, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Lisa

I think Roberto will be headed home next week! In the previews last night, it showed a guy with a dog tag leaving....Roberto is always seen with a dog tag type necklace on all the time. Even in the individual pictures.

June 22, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Dale

this show was shot a few months ago. no room for Jake.(Thank goodness)

June 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lorie

I sure wish Ali had thought clearer, those quiet ones are the best. Still waters run very, very deep. I just think Chris N. is shy. Justin is a "pig" and every time he opens his mouth more garbage comes out.

June 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Diane

I have a feeling that Justin has a secret girlfriend. He had silly smiles all the time and is not well liked. Heard Jake broke up with Vienna and please call Jake to fly to see Ali again and they fit nicely together .

June 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ginny

GO BACK TO JAKE I THINK HE FOUND OUT YOU ARE THE ONE BRING HIM BACK TO THE SHOW AND SEE WHAT ALI DOSE IT SHOULD BE REAL INTRESTING GOOD LUCK ALI .( ALL THESE GUYS ARE NOT FOR YOU )

June 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Confused

James, is your minor in "Creative" or "Creating Writing" ?? I am not sure you are the one to comment on poetry or diction. I am curious as to how you work for CNN.com..

June 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ditto

glad at least one other person noticed it.

June 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Morgan

Seriously, I teach fourth grade and my students all proofread before handing in their work...whats up with CNN writers?

June 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sandy

I wish I could have seen it to comment. There were severe storms in the area and thanks to our wonderful government and their great ideas, now that we have "high definition" TV, many of us have no definition when there is a storm, as the picture, sound and even the severe weather warnings break up. Way to go, Uncle Sam! I rushed home to see this and saw nothing or next to nothing the entire length of the show.

June 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martha

You can watch full episodes on the internet, Just go to Bachlorette.com.

June 25, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  36. Sharon

Kasey had to go....what a DORK! I will guard and protect your heart......not sure about Ali but most women want someone who enriches their heart!!

June 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Kathy

What a perfect opportunity to bring Jake on for a smack down with Justin. Justin is a slim ball player I swear he can see his relections in the camera lens, what a posure. Roberto, YUM!! and classy to boot!

June 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. NYLA Princess

Can I just say – no offense to Ali, but really this season of the Bachelorette is SOOO BORING!! Other than the great tourist spots they take the dates to – there isn't any draw to watch this show. It's sad because I like Ali and I wish her well. Besides, the men are all duds unfortunately. There is no love connection here. No Pow or Wow.

June 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Toronto

I'm not seeing the same infatuation on Ali's part with this edition of the Bachelorette albeit the early days and kissing certainly will tell if the connection is there or not. Is it possible that Ali and Jake might wind up together after all? The heart never forgets.

June 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. John

Justin has two girlfriends in Toronto! Ali will find out about Justin's two other girlfriends on the next episode and send Justin home. Justin is only on the show to promote his career as an entertainment wrestler.

June 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Lisa

I think Ali needs to just stop this cherade and go back to Jake. He is single now!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  42. suzzi

Chris L was my choice right from day one. It looked like Roberto was going to be the runaway winner but I think he is losing steam. Chris L. is the guy. He's quiet, mature and intelligent.

June 22, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Janine

Team Chris L. ALL THE WAY!! Ever since his first minute blurb about his mom, and that shot of him on the beach with his dogs....oh yeah, if Ali doesn't want him, she can send him my way!!!

June 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Susie

Hate to tell you folks out there Justin is the one with the girlfriend. Rater R my butt. He should down as Not Rated period. Roberto is the man for Ali. He is so extremely hot and very passionate. He had her at "let's do some salsa dancing". She was obviously turned on. If he does not get the final rose ABC should consider Roberto to be the next Bachelor. So they can finally represent the Latin community; show some caramel love now.

June 22, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  44. rob

roberto is the one with a girlfriend..... calling it now

June 22, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

See I think it's Justin just because I feel like he's there for his career.

June 22, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Heather

It's justin! the "r" is for really lame!

June 22, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • tara

pretty sure i read a few weeks ago in people mag that it is frank that has the girlfriend and that justin actually has two gf's back home.

June 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

No way it's Roberto! It's Justin.......

June 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelly

Omg thats what i said! im totally on your level of thinking!

June 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angelique

I think Frank might have a girlfriend because he has so much Charisma and good sense of humor. What woman can resist that package?

June 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • tommy girl

Justin has the 2 girlfriends and will be gone tonight. Frank decides to go back to his ex after he realizes Ali is no catch. This show sucks so bad. Jake is definitely gay and needs to come out now! Both he and Vienna are attention ho's and have had more than enough attention already...

June 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bernie

I think Ali did the right think. This guy was as interesting as a wet blanket. My god, looking at him talk to her was very painful. He seemed uncomfortable sitting next to her and was not the best conversationalist. Too bad she couldn't send him on his way right then and there. Next week episode will be interesting.

June 22, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |