June 22nd, 2010

Judd Apatow to produce female version of 'Hangover'

Those who thought Judd Apatow’s protagonists were all drunk white frat boys, think again - Apatovian romps may have just become equal-opportunity.

Apatow is set to produce “Business Trip,” a comedy by Stacey Harman about “a group of women who go on a corporate trip but wind up doing anything but business while on company time,” reports Variety. And considering the movie will be produced by Universal Pictures and Benderspink, the latter of which was behind “The Hangover,” some say that “Business Trip” will be the female-oriented version of the Warner Bros. hit.

The movie will star Apatow’s actress wife Leslie Mann, according to Deadline.com. Mann also appeared in Apatow’s “Funny People.”

“Business Trip” will not be Apatow’s first foray into female-led comedies. He’s also producing Kristen Wiig’s “Bridesmaids,” which centers on two women competing to plan their friend’s wedding. (Paul Feig, who co-created “Freaks and Geeks” with Apatow, will direct.)

Still, “Business Trip” has already raised some questions. Cinematics.com asks: “Will ‘Bridesmaids’ and ‘Business Trip’ show a different side of this producer/director? Will the actresses in them shine as strongly as his male leads have? Will they really show women can be as heedless and crazy as men? Or will they simply be rom-coms with more raunch?”

To get those questions answered, we’ll have to wait and see.

Post by:
Filed under: movies

1. Ivanial Meurerf

you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a wonderful job on this topic!

July 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joann

Please cast Linda Cardellini in this or something! She's amazing

December 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stetch

Okay I must get in on this....1) I'm hot...and it's no question to men and women alike people want to sleep with me...bad. I'm not tooting my own horn but it's a fact. Now with that being said I've dated "nerdy", fat, etc guys. It's really not that unbelievable for a very attractive woman to be with what is considered an unattractive man. They're actually just as surprised that a woman considered that beautiful would be with them as you are and make very good boyfriends/husbands. Pretty women arent that shallow, not all of them anyway.
    2) Hollywood doesn't portray most people in a very realistic light. It usually perpetuates bias stereotypes. With that being said it's comedy and usually the basis of humour is poking fun at stereotypes. So get a sense of humor. Which it seems like a lot of people commenting don't have. Since eveyone is so mad that Leslie Mann is in all his movies. Leslie Mann is one of the funniest women in movies today. She has great timing and delivery and she's very witty. Which a lot of women in Hollywood aren't. I see no problem with him putting her in his movies.
    3) Just about all of Apatow's movies are hilarious. This one, I'm sure, will be no exception. I think it was smart to make it a business trip. It's more realistic for todays woman then lets say a baking contest or beauty pagent or even better to go stop a marriage of her best guy friend because at the 11th hour she realized how in love with him she is and needs to tell him before he marries the wrong woman. (If I see another movie like that I"m gonna jihad all over Hollywoods ass)
    4) I will agree with one thing that I'm sure a lot of you will agree. Women in Hollywood just aren't very funny. I'm not sure if it's because women as a whole aren't very funny or they're is just a double standard as to what women are "allowed" to see as funny. I'm not sure what it is but every once and a while there is a woman comes along and is very smart and funny. Then we accept her. Men can get out there and make any stupid burp and fart joke and get a standing ovation. Whatever the case I think Judd Apatow is very funny, and I think it's because it's juvenile college humor, which I love because sometimes I don't want to think I just want to laugh. Apatow always delivers senseless laughs and for that I salute you. I can't wait for more PeeWee Herman via Judd Apatow.

July 2, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tim

What about Lindsey Weir and Kim Kelly? They were good female main characters, and they came long before Judd Apatow's movie success. I'd love to see Linda Cardellini or Busy Philipps in another Apatow production.

June 23, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mel

he looks like he should be wearing a satchel and white skinny jeans.

June 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LivinginKansas

Please, do not cast Kate Hudson in this movie. She is a celebrity personality, and not a very good actress. Again, please do not (even think of casting) Kate Hudson for a role in this movie!! Thank you, Mr. Apatow.

June 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Edgar Brooksfelderson

The Hangover was poorly acted and contrived anyway. I'm amazed people raved about it so. Still, these movies make money because they pander to the ever growing side of society that wants cheap laughs, food, relationships, etc. More and more it seems people want to work less and less and it is reflected in music and movies that are dumbed down to cater to the quick results/instant gratification public.

June 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jon

Am I missing something? There's already been a "female" version of "The Hangover", which came out long before it anyway; in fact there's a sequel in theaters now. Go ask Matthew Broderick if his wife could fill you in.

June 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Denizen Kate

Isn't Apatow the same guy who put Seth Rogan in a relationship with Kathryn Heigl? Clearly, women are NOT his demographic.

June 22, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dan

YOU'RE sick of it???

Please, GROW UP! How about sick of the annoying need for women to have their "version" of the Hangover, and pretty much any other aspect of this dynamic. Maybe delve in to that farce on society...

June 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Dan – ummm, how about the women didn't have a 'need' for their version of the Hangover. Judd Apatow had the need. You and I know it'll be about what men fantasize would happen on a business trip, not what actually happens, so get over yourself.

June 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. anastacia2

Geez, I work in corporate america and travel extensively. just what we need, women behaving badly on a business trip. like the boys why couldn't we be on a beach, class reunion, girls trip. not the work place.

June 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jeff (other)

Lizzie are you a Hollywood writer?

June 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jeff (other)

You people forget they will be three hot females and one who is not so hot till they get her to Vegas and make her over.

June 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lizzie

And the "makeover" will consist of taking off her glasses and straightening her hair and BAM she is a bombshell.

June 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

It will never live up to the original for one thing so I will pass on it before it even comes out.

June 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Agreed. If it's geared toward women, it's going to flop. There's nothing exciting about a business trip. It's not going to be funny.

If it is funny, then I'm sure it'll be geared toward the men.. The women decide in their hotel to throw a pillow fight or something stupid to that effect.

Who is this movie geared toward??

June 22, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff

Um Nikki, I beg to differ. "Extreme trash mouths and yelling and screaming are not normal girl behavior". Those descriptions are becoming more and more female behavior.

June 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • CorvetteGirl

I don't know where you live or who (or what) you hang out with, but I definitely don't put myself in that category and I resent that you do.

June 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Jeff must live in Jersey.

June 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Jeff

Oh, for God's sake, DC! NONE of the people on "Jersey Shore" were actually *from* New Jersey!!! Most of them were from NEW YORK! It's bad enough that NJ has to put up with the kind of abuse it regularly gets from the likes of David Letterman and SNL, but "Jersey Shore" has almost nothing to do with the *real* Jersey Shore, which is a wonderful place filled with wonderful people – who have to put up with a lot of drunk out-of-towners who come down from NYC to spend money. (And P.S. – Apatow really needs to realize that his wife is not always the best actress for the part.)

June 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

Jeff, who've you been hanging out with? "Trash-mouth, yelling & screaming"? I think you need to re-think the women in your life.

June 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Nikki

As long as he's more realistic about woman in this than the other movies. Extreme trash mouths and yelling and screaming are not normal girl behavior.

June 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

Where do you live? I know more women that have that "trash mouth", than those that don't. Go to any bar/club, and listen to the way these girls talk. Long dead are the days when women spoke softly, and kindly 100% of the time. Welcome to the age where calling a woman a foul name is taken as a compliment (which is a pathetic attempt at proving that theyre not upset, when clearly they are).

June 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. tamGina

let my fat but play in the move and take shots of patron!

June 22, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Johnny Heck

Seriously. Ever notice that the larger the role his wife has, the worse the movie is? 40-Year-Old Virigin, one funny drunk puke gag. Great movie. Knocked Up, more screen time, not as good as Virgin. Funny People, all over that flick, humorless in the last act and painful to watch.

Kevin Smith should take note.

June 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Clare

Let me guess. They're all ridiculously hot and successful women who end up hooking up with ugly, fat slackers so that men everywhere can indulge in a little more wish fulfillment courtesy of Judd Apatow.

Give me a break. I'm so sick of this man.

June 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northgal33

*LOL* Yes! I'm so tired of this old-hat as well!

June 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • amy

Hahaha, totally. It will be a two hour version of a sitcom!

June 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

June 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Male

So woman noticed this also? I watch TV and wonder how these male actors get such hot wifes and wonder where I went wrong? There is no way most of these men would be married to these TV wifes!

June 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shallow

Clare, you make the kiddie pool look deep.

June 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Eric – totally wrong. This is going to be male wish fulfillment, I'm sure. What men (Apatow) wishes happens on female business trips.

Real ones are not exciting enough to make movies about. I know.

"Say what you will about Apatow, he is very good at pandering to his target demographic. So I'm sure this will be female wish fulfillment... breaking through the glass ceiling while juggling a career and a family, or whatever women are into (I don't claim to understand your gender). Oh boy, cant wait."

June 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

Right, better to portray women as the shallow, materialistic, vanity driven bags of garbage that they are....right? If you've never seen a hot girl with a train-wreck of a man, then you haven't been looking. It is everywhere! You never dating a pretty girl is not proof that it never happens.

June 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jeff

Does Apatow know any other actresses besides his wife?

June 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Hahahaha.

June 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

I was wondering the same thing about Rob Zombie

June 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

When it comes to putting your wife in the movie you make, Apatow is neck and neck with Rob Zombie. While I agree she should have a part in the movie, it shouldn't be a starring role. She's funny, but not "carry the whole movie" funny. She's pretty much the same character in every film her husband puts her in, and it's old. He's had 1 really funny movie. The rest have been sappy, rom-com nonsense. Slow your roll Apatow. You'll be the next Kevin Smith in no time (known for 1 or 2 funny movies, but mostly just known for garbage)

June 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay Kay

Leslie Mann is utterly forgettable in everything she's ever done.

June 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • celticfaerie

I was wondering the same thing about Tim Burton.

June 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |