June 22nd, 2010

Helen Mirren: Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga? Love them!

While Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus are often criticized because of their flamboyant spins on minimalist fashion, Helen Mirren counts them as women who are embracing their sexuality.

The soon-to-be 65-year-old actress told New York magazine that she’s “thrilled young girls are claiming their sexuality for themselves.”

The women she loves, Mirren said in the interview, are bold, like "Madonna and Scarlett Johansson—sexy and gorgeous, but not only that. And Miley Cyrus - fantastic!"

The same exclamation can be applied to Lady Gaga. "I love the way she’s elevated pop to performance art, or dragged performance art down to pop, or maybe made a wonderful amalgam of the two," Mirren said.

And the actress is well-acquainted with being bold - her next role will be in her husband Taylor Hackard’s film “Love Ranch,” in which she plays a madam at a 70s-era whorehouse who winds up in an affair with a man 30 years her junior.

If this seems to be a bit of a departure for Mirren because her acclaimed portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II in 2006's “The Queen" is still fresh in your memory, take a look at her history. For one, she did a teen striptease for an older painter in 1969's “Age of Consent."

But that was years ago, and as Mirren told NYMag, we’ve forgotten how "notorious" she was. Remember, as she's said previously, she was the would-be rebel; the good girl who wanted to be bad.

That's still true, Mirren points out in the interview. “I’m still the good girl who wants to be a bad girl,” she said before adding, “but I’ll never make it as a bad girl … I’m not a prude or a moralist and I never have been, but I’m too fearful, too much of a wimp, really.”

But for her role in “Love Ranch,” she had to learn to silence those fears. Susan Austin, the madam of Nevada's real Mustang Ranch (which "Love Ranch" is based on), told the actress that she “had to be tough, because maybe you do have 25 psychotic whores. A lot of them come from very dysfunctional backgrounds, and women together like that can be very dangerous.”

Mirren at first balked at spending the night at Mustang Ranch, but after conceding, she realized “how quickly you get into dildos everywhere and pink-feather handcuffs.”

“Love Ranch,” co-starring Joe Pesci as Mirren's sketchy husband and Sergio Peris-Mencheta as Mirren's lover, opens on June 30.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. vitos

Lady GaGa is a very talented composer and performer, but as her interview with Larry King revealed, she is addicted to the attention and fame and thus all things material and meaningless!

September 20, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. c

She's gorgeous. I like the scene from that movie she did where she's walking around naked back in the 70's. Heck I'm in my 30's and I'd go out with her now; she's the only woman I'd break my age limit rules for, lol!

June 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Name Witheld

Dame Helen is truly a wonderful person and a great actress. She's sassy and she's fun. I will be sorry when she's gone from the world.

June 23, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. James E McGrath

I saw the movie "Age of Consent" and noticed that Helen had brown hair all over her legs! I found that to be awesome and I give her lots of credit for that! I see no need for any girl to shave her legs!

June 23, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. gagaoverdamehelen

Dame Helen transcends all generations of women. She is admired by so many fans as well as those in the industry.

I applaud Dame Helen for being on top of what it's like to be a women today in the entertainment world.

She is a role model for so many women and is a supporter of young women helping them to achieve their dreams.

June 23, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike H.

I'm not sure a movie about a brothel is anything that interests me, but I'm sure there must be a handful of folks out there with nothing better to do with their time than to watch. As for Miley Cyrus...perhaps her choreographer took elements from Adam Lambert's video, but if we're being honest...his people took elements from Janet Jackson's and Paula Abdul's videos. ("Cold Hearted Snake," anyone?) Not much left artistically when it comes to dance videos.

@Abigail: If either of my daughters endeavors to pursue a lifestyle or career that I would never encourage, I only hope they do their best at whatever it might be. Parents should protect, nurture and teach while daughters are young, then support when they are older.

June 23, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. abigail

Obviously this woman does not have daughters; if she did she may "sing" a different tune.

June 22, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. babytyche08

Miley Cyrus? what a taste of choice..ahahaha love Helen mirren but i don't like her choices. :)

June 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. laura

I hope I look as good as Helen Mirren when I reach her age –she looks great & always looks beautiful in her gowns at reward shows

June 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kay

"...her next role will be in her husband Taylor Hackard’s film “Love Ranch,”..."
    How am I suppose to trust a CNN article on Helen Mirren when the writer can't even get her (Oscar-winning) husband's name right. It's Taylor Hackford. Come on, CNN. Geez...

June 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Martha

This woman makes me laugh. Sure, I love Lady GaGa, but MILEY CYRUS? Ugh. She's not fantastic. You know the music video 'Can't Be Tamed'? She copied it from Adam Lambert's own music video of 'For Your Entertainment.' Come on, Miley. Just because you're a soiled little teen doesn't mean you have the right to steal videos.

June 22, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. whinter

awesome ilove her very much

June 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rachel

Helen Mirren is a superb actress, but that doesn't mean she has good taste in music, which she obviously doesn't.

June 22, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vader

Obviously.

June 22, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • world traveler

Ms. Mirren never actually said she liked the music – she said she admired the women.

June 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • rachel

world traveler

Yes, she admired the women. Or the woman. Admiration is more than like.

June 22, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

Gloria...your right. her role in Caligula was definitely of a "Bad Girl". She was great! One good looking lady..still!

June 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gloria

I noticed that her role in Caligula was not mentioned, but would have fit quite nicely in 'good trying to be bad'.

June 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jairoski

Missing from this article is that Helen Mirren is a Dame.

June 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Coincidence?

She must be an avid Marquee Blog reader.

June 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • BB

I agree that it's quite the coincidence. I'm sure the media gives those two plenty of attention that it's easy to assume there will be backlash.

June 22, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |