June 22nd, 2010

First look at 'The Green Hornet'

A trailer and a few movie stills from the upcoming feature, “The Green Hornet,” have hit the web, revealing Seth Rogen in a role that’s a little atypical for the “Pineapple Express” actor.

While we’re more used to seeing Rogen as the schlubby, fumbling, possibly under-the-influence leading man, this time around he plays the suave, wealthy, possibly under-the-influence playboy, Britt Reid.(Okay, so perhaps the casting directors weren't too far off.)

Within the first few scenes of the trailer, Britt is the responsibility-eschewing son of a newspaper mogul, partying it up with drinks in hand and bikini-clad women in the pool.

When his father is killed, Britt is left in charge of the media business, musing about whether or not he's done anything worthwhile with his life. Enter Kato, played by Jay Chou, and Reid’s plan to help the city by turning himself into the crime-fighting Green Hornet.

Cameron Diaz plays Britt’s secretary Lenore Case, and Christoph Waltz is the film's resident villain as Benjamin Chudnofsky.

You can watch the full trailer here; the movie is slated for a January, 2011 release.

Filed under: movies

1. Jenny

Its like rush hour but the guy isnt jackie, and the guys not black. :D

September 28, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. LAURA

I am 47 & I clearly remember "The Green Hornet" on TV –it had to be the late 60's,early 70's. You can never recapture a remake.However die hard fans will give it a chance.....let's enjoy the show !!!!!

June 23, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. uh...

Jay Chou's crossing over to the U.S. too? Oh lord.

June 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

Can't get much worse than "Jonah Hex". AWFUL POS.

June 22, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Blake

Eventhough I have a hard time picturing Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet, I'm going to reserve judgement. I know it's the popular thing to hate remakes, but he won the role. I'm going to watch it in theatres, and only then will I judge this movie.

June 22, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jack Meoff

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuoNLnrPlFM&w=640&h=390]

June 22, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jason

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPHjJIvh5A&w=640&h=390]

June 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Crazy Waiter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPHjJIvh5A Green Hornet VS Batman

June 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BigBlueHeron

Way back in the day there was a TV show " The Green Hornet " starring an actor named Van Williams. He wasn't too
    impressive, but his chauffeur was played by no less than Bruce Lee. Anyone remember the show? This show pretty much brought Bruce to the US and created interest in karate!

June 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. weezy1

Can not picture Rogen as a suave crime fighter...looks to me like they should have named it "Kato" and left Britt as the sidekick! A shame...with another actor it might have been something cool. Oh well, we can always wait for the new "Dark Knight" movie!

June 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. paul

gee another original movie.

June 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NickinWI

I'm a film buff and can easily say that I for one am looking forward to this film. Sometimes you have to just relax and enjoy a film for the sake of the escapism. Campy and somewhat ridiculous? Sure, but it's a superhero movie, for pity's sake. Sounds like something I would enjoy – the opportunity to lose myself in the suspension of disbelief for about 90 minutes.

June 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not on your life

For $10 a pop I don't want escapism. I want my money's worth. That means good story, good cast, good direction and good suspension of belief.

June 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Big Dude

I auditioned for a small role in this movie...Worst audition of my 30+ career. The writting was so convuluted and the director tried his best to help me..it was a day lost in time. The whole thing felt 'snakebit'...

June 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bevis

I wonder will they use the Jaws shark in the watersking scene

June 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TW

This was Rogen's idea. I think it will be fun. He's got a certain following. Kind of like this kid...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVR1nPwTxA&w=640&h=390]

June 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. shel

I don't think it looks as bad as some are saying. I think it will be funny and entertaining but it won't win any awards and not really worth spending theater prices to go see.

June 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Devin

I think they are going for a similar vibe to "Kick-Ass".

June 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jose

Too late to recast the lead
    Prediction: Will detonate upon impact.

June 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mack 5

Judging from the trailer...it looks like Kato is the 'real' superhero and 'The Green Hornet' is the sidekick !

June 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Htes Grog

This movie wil be a blockbuster hit. Whats Seth's last name?
    This just in: Jonah Hill is slated to play Bruce Wayne in the next series of batman flicks.

June 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lauren

I dunno, this could be terrible, or it could be fun and campy a la the Dick Tracy movies from the 90s. We will just have to see.

June 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Dude

THIS IS NOT NEWS. - sorry, had to post that. First story I have read in the ENTERTAINMENT section where some dips**t didn't write this. I will be that dips**t today.

oh.. movie looks like it will bomb.. which is a shame cause green hornet should ROCK.

June 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

If they wanted it to rock, they chose the wrong guy to play the lead. Seth Rogan should stick to slacker roles, he's good at those. I'm right there with the post stating that this would me one more way to keep from spending money at the movies.

June 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. strait to DVD

I might watch this movie with commercials in between b/c of the awesomeness factor. I am going to need periodical breaks. So the question is how do you aim a double pistol? That guy makes the little Lie-to-me dude look ferocious!!

June 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Doc Shew

Doesn't the legacy of the Green Hornet deserve something a little better than this???

June 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JC

Whole lotta Gloomy Gusses around here today...

June 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • actually

Haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about... I haven't seen any commenter by the name "Gloomy Gusses" yet.

June 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Massive Marbles

I think someone suffering from a severe case of nostalgia thought Seth's comedy would put this movie on the same level as the old Batman series with Adam West. The only thing they left out was those endearing phrases WHAM, KA-BOOM, WHACK. This was a MISTAKE, In this day and age no one wants a comedic hero, people want pulse pounding, edge of your seat "OMG did you see that" thrills and chills. You guys blew it this time, come out swinging with the sequel, or just don't come out at all!

June 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ryan

lotta trolls out today. must be internet day at the psych ward.

June 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spooger

Yeah, and you're the freaking King of the Trolls!

June 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sir Craig

Spooger:
      Yeah, and you're the freaking King of the Trolls!

Lamest. Comeback. Ever. Where did you learn that, some preschool playground? Whatever happened to quality?

June 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spooger

Talk about lame comebacks. Another troll heard from.

June 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bubba

Seth ROGAN? Are you f-ing kidding me? Whose dumb idea was this? I wouldn't walk across the street to see this dog for free.

June 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • trekfan1

Hmmm some people said the same thing about Michael Keaton playing Batman in the late 80's.

June 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ballz

Cool – another excuse to not spend money at the theatre

June 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  30. moe

this is going to fail so bad, that there will need to be a new term for it because "fail" will not clearly define how horrible it will do.

June 22, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. bailoutsos

Met Van Williams, original Green Hornet on TV, in the early 70s. Real nice guy. He autographed a Green Hornet paperback I had and gave me an 8×10 autographed photo.

June 22, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  32. movies rock

This movies looks so...................not cool.

June 22, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  33. Eric

OH MAN! A gun with two guns built into one gun. How can America NOT love that???

/eyeroll

June 22, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • moe

do you drink more draino than you breathe oxygen? if not, drink more... you must be french. go surrender to someone. i'm sure there's a 4 year old with a deadly binky that's got your name on it.

June 22, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Xzhibit

Yo Dawg, I heard you like guns, so we put a gun in your gun so you can shoot while you shoot.

June 22, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Americans probably think they aim well enough to only need one gun.

June 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • davetharave

Soon there will be a gun with 5 guns just like they've done with disposable razors. By the way a major US manufacturer will soon be announcing the first 7 – blade disposable razor which shaves the average man in 6.2 seconds.

June 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  34. celticfaerie

His name is Christoph not Christopher.

June 22, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

It's no big deal. He's just won an Academy Award, that's all.

June 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

I didn't give a crap about "The Green Hornet" coming in, so I was shocked that I'd be disappointed by the trailer. I mean, I already didn't care and yet I had expected more.

June 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who needs grammar?

Not to mention that "Christoph Waltz is the film's resident villain as Benjamin Chudnofsky" doesn't make sense. He is the villain as someone else? Kind of ties into the double-gun thing.

June 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrBo

@Who needs grammar?

You do. That just means the actor named Christoph Waltz is playing a character named Benjamin Chudnofsky.
      Pretty simple, and correct grammar...

June 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Smarter than Mr Bo

@MrBo – Just because we can decipher what the author meant, doesn't mean he or she used immaculate grammar. The author's sentence IS grammatically awkward; it's a mish-mash of two different phrasings, either of which would have been acceptable. "Christoph Waltz is the film's resident villain, Benjamin Chudnofsky" would have worked. "The film's resident villain is Christoph Waltz as Benjamin Chudnofsky" would also have worked. The wording, as is, does NOT work. Don't criticize people if you don't know what you're talking about.

June 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeremy

This movie is going to bomb harder than Catwoman.

June 22, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Boof

I'll bet that it's in 3-D too.

June 22, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • davetharave

Is Al Hirt going to play the 'Flight of the Bumblebee' theme song on his trumpet like he did for the TV show ? I think he died.

June 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • oda155

Ditto... although I would pay to see Halle Berry in 3-D... 6D or any other "D" ... excuse me, yeah this movie will suck.

June 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |