June 21st, 2010

Crystal Bowersox signs with record label

MamaSox is now a signed artist.

Crystal “MamaSox” Bowersox has signed a deal with 19 Recordings/Jive Records, the company announced on Monday.

The Season 9 American Idol runner-up expressed her gratitude at joining the home of several other past “Idol” contestants.“I’m really grateful to be given this opportunity to make an album and let people hear my music,” she said in a statement included in the company’s press release “And I’m looking forward to working with all of the folks at 19/Jive.”

Bowersox was a favorite during the season which saw her lose to fellow Chicago auditioner, Lee DeWyze.

“Crystal is one of the most naturally gifted and talented singer songwriters to have ever come out of Idol,” said “Idol” creator Simon Fuller. “The breadth of her talent is inspiring.”

“In addition to being a gifted singer, Crystal has demonstrated that she has a dynamic stage presence and fans really connect with her sincerity and straight-forwardness,” said Barry Weiss, Chairman and CEO of RCA/JIVE Label Group. “Crystal is in a league of her own and we look forward to working with her.”

Filed under: American Idol 2010 • Celebrities • Music • television

1. krisallen fan

Obviously none of you have seen KrisAllen in concert. He is a natural talent, singer songwriter. Crystal Bowersox is quite average, and does not have a star type personality. She almost seems depressed all the time. Kris Allen is on the top 20 VHS videos right now. And Live Like Were Dying also debuted in the top 20. So obviously those that are critsizing him are not true music followers. Get yiour facts straight first

September 10, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. holli

Crystal is so talented and versatile, has great stage present and appears to be humble. I may be incorrect, but I think that a lot of girls voted for Lee. I still wish the best for him anyway.

July 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Audrey

I've been a Crystal fan since I saw her perform in Maumee Ohio. She is a real performer who has a terrific future ahead of her. On the final show Lee looked like he was ready to throw up, while Crystal was smiling the whole time. She has the whole package. Carrie who?

July 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lindy El

Please brush your teeth Crystal and wash your ratty hair!!!!!

July 2, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Christine Starr

My bumpersticker on my car reads: CRYSTAL BOWERSOX AMERIKAN IDOL & the K in America is because she is the REAL IDOL for America not this stupid show! America knows she is WAY BETTER and that a voting system is unfair that allows one person to vote as many times as they want for four hours! She came on stage at that finale to show why she was the frontrunner all along BECAUSE SHE SANG FLAWLESSLY AND BEAUTIFULLY while Lee was totally bucked under pressure. He was about the level of a high school talent show! CRYSTAL OWNED THAT STAGE! Why did Ryan on song ttwo finale Everybody Hurts introduce Lee as "our paint salesman" and no intro for Crystal. The show is absolutely ridiculous! America knows Crystal was the real winner and the best Idol has ever had EVER! She is a superstar and need only to go by Crystal like Madonna Cher Elivis Whitney I LOVE YOU CRYSTAL YOU ROCK!!

June 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Serious Music Listener

Crystal had it together so much better than Lee....what gave Lee the prize was the "rags to riches" story...he started as a paint salesman and managed to up his game until he became quite good. I still think Crystal should have won, BUT she is going to make it anyway, and better for her not to be constrained as much with the 1st place winning...It seems every year the 2nd best win, many very good people are eliminated at the beginning due to the unfair voting practices...there should be one vote per telephone. The teeny boppers overwhelm things as they have hours to dial over and over...

I've been watching idol a LONG time, and see that often people who are more rock, are a little "out there" with tatoos and such lose...and I think it is the "grandma faction" doing that...the way people dress is held against them....

I wish Crystal the absolute best....she is on her way to being another Bonnie Raitt and plays her cards right, and not blow it as Adam Lambert did with his antics...

She should have won, and I hope she knows that...my guess is she does...

Lee is just beginning to bloom...SHE is polished and ready to hit the ground running. Her first album will probably be the first one I'll buy since Isol started (although I keep meaning to get David Cooks albums as well)

Way to go Crytsal and best of luck!!!

PS I agree, limit the age to at least 18....when contestants are younger they really don't have what it takes, and it really messes up their schooling etc to go on this wild ride.

No matter, the loss of Simon is going to be the death of this show...

June 23, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hater

They all suck!

June 23, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. gulliver

What? Crystal and Lee were equal...people hear different...Some thought Crystal was better, some thought Lee was better...at the end of the day...more people thought Lee was the better singer....THE PEOPLE VOTED!

June 23, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. TW

This is entertaining.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_KF50CZn4Y&w=640&h=390]

June 23, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rose

As for Kris Allen, don't write him off – he is touring with Keith Urban – not too shabby!!

June 23, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rose

Now that she has money maybe she can get her teeth fixed and get a hair cut.

June 23, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
    • gp

If she only knew how ugly she looks with dredlocks. Really NASTY! It takes away from her talent.

June 23, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. giz

damn, she is scary looking!

June 23, 2010 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Irwin

I picked Crystal from the start, and she ended up the best – by far. In fact, Lee's performances got worse near the end. The market will choose the REAL winners, and Lee (and Kris) will quickly come down to earth as average (barely) singers.

June 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patsy

Kris Allen is boring. Adam is exciting. Kris will be long gone while Adam will still be ontop.

June 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nor

You people keep knocking Kris Allen whose CD is very good and he has a very pure natural voice. Most the songs on his CD he wrote himself. He is an excellent role model for youth. Although Adam is an good entertainer, Kris is more natural and gifted song writer,

June 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Adam also wrote a few of the songs on his CD...which has outsold Kris' by several times over.

June 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • topswatta

Why do Americans insist on elevating celebrities to the status of role models. You should be your child's own role model, not celebrities. Granted, it is certainly not inappropriate for your child to aspire to attain the level of greatness and/or professional success that these people attain, however, at the end of the day, as we've so very often seen, celebrities will inevitably do very stupid, and sometimes highly immoral things (Tiger Woods, Michael Vick, Mel Gibson, Charlie Rangel, Ted Stephens, and the list goes on.........). So it gos without saying that you should teach your children the fundamental differences between right and wrong, demonstrate these teachings through your own actions, encourage them to aspire to greatness, and above all, allow them to be like themselves, not "celebrities."

August 15, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jimmy D

I'll buy her album as long as she isn't smiling on the cover.

June 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. DJS

No surprise for the REAL winner. Crystal renewed my faith in AI, However, it is still a popularity contest instead of a talent contest. We will not be hearing from Lee in the future just as we will never hear from Kris Allen again.

June 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mad max

wow that would be so exciting! but you know what else is exciting?? check this out.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7BpCnYF0g

June 22, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  19. mike

Crystal is a breath of fresh air in the music industry. I'll definitely buy her cd in fact many friends will get one on Christmas. Sign me up too for the tour. She doesn't need to show her assets or have a dozen half naked guys or guys with TV for heads ,Why because she is an ARTIST. You go girl.

June 22, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryunkin

Wait till Crystal has her mouth worked on, her hair rearranged and loses about 20 pounds. She will be a knockout and a lot of guys who didn't look twice at her will be running to her concerts. If you recall Carrie Underwood was a bit chubby when she won Idol and look at her now.

June 24, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  20. David

So happy for her! And excited to hear her album!

June 22, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  21. eb

I will be looking for her music. Crystal is awesome.

June 21, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. laura

Congratulations to her –best wishes. This is her dream.

June 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jan

That pretty much buries AI. I think the age should be raised to 21. Vocally and emotionally the contestents would do better. I give up let the teeniebobbers have the show. It is a waste of time for adults to watch and vote for the most talented until AI improves the voting system and limits votes like DWTS.

June 21, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

I agree 100000% with you. Anyone over the age of 20 may as well not even vote for talent because the young girls will help push through whomever they want.

June 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryunkin

Personally, I think the people who are going to buy the contestant's music should vote for whoever they want, be it Chris Daughtry, Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox, or the off-key buffoons who win the silly show. Just don't expect me to support "performers" I can sing better than.

June 24, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  24. Lynn

I'm looking forward to Crystals album. I just hope they let her record her original songs. Now that American Idol is lowering the minimum age to 15 I doubt I watch anymore. I've always thought the minimum age should be 18. I guess we adults don't matter anymore when it comes to music. I've purchased more Idol music, cd's and itunes, than any teenager I know. No more after Crystal!

June 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. James

These last couple of seasons have been abouting making sure the best doesn't win. I don't know if it's planned to make sure the best contestant gets to make the album they really want to make, instead of winning, and being stuck with the "Idol" album- which is almost always terrible. Maybe it's because America roots for the underdog, even when they don't deserve it (Lee, Kris, Taylor, etc). Either way, I'm very happy for Bowersox, and cannot wait to hear her album, done her way.

June 21, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • bridget

did it ever occur to you that what you deem "the best" may not be what other people deem "the best?"

June 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jasmine

No, he's absolutely right. Crystal was the better contestant, as was Adam Lambert. Either the public has a close minded view on what an American Idol should be, teenage girls are taking over the phone lines, or conservative Fox network cannot let the "out theres" win.

June 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim from Toledo

2nd place is far better than winning on AI....2nd place means you are free to fly wherever you want.
      Good for Mamasox – I will be first in line to buy her album – she is a fantastic talent.

June 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cassandra

All AI contestants sign a contract prior to participating with the show. If anyone that makes it to the top 10 gets a record deal, it's subject to the American Idol terms and regulations. She's not free of that contract and she can only make a certain amount of money off her record deal no matter how many albums she sell...even if Lee sells less albums then her, he makes more money off the AI deal because he won.

June 23, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • ryunkin

The problem with Idol is in it's bogus voting system, which is too easy to screw up because of its multiple vote format. I stopped voting after the Kris Allen debacle because it was obvious that the Christian wrong had toyed around with the phone system to ensure that once again a no talent bum won. I also can't help but remember the Chris Daughtry, Taylor Hicks mess.

June 24, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |