June 17th, 2010

Katy Perry: Fan of Lady Gaga, Jesus Christ

Subtlety is not exactly Katy Perry's strong suit, as she evidenced when she told "Showbiz Tonight," "I'm the hugest Lady Gaga fan, but I'm also the hugest Jesus Christ fan!"

But with that statement, she may have put to rest all those rumors that she's in a nasty feud with Lady Gaga.

"Showbiz Tonight" was there in New York City's Times Square when Katy Perry, clad in a rubber dress, jumped off the stage after performing her new single "California Gurls," and of course we left no stone unturned in the interview.

You might remember that the so-called feud with Lady Gaga ignited when Perry tweeted remarks that appeared to attack Gaga and her "Alejandro" music video.

The video featured Gaga slipping rosary beads into her mouth and a crucifix painted on the crotch of her skin-tight wardrobe. Perry tweeted the same day the video premiered: "Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke."

Naturally, after that tweet, people thought it was an all-out war between the two pop stars. Are they in a knockdown, drag out fight like everyone is saying? "No, of course not," Perry told us. "I think people like to put girls into feuds to make them catfight, 'cause it's kinda hot to see two oiled girls go at it. I'm the hugest Lady Gaga fan but I'm also the hugest Jesus Christ fan!"

We got the feud rumors taken care of but we would've been remiss not to put Perry on the spot about her engagement to "Get Him To The Greek's" Russell Brand. Perry said that while they are preoccupied with their professional lives at the moment, wedding bells should ring sometime soon.

"I think we're gonna do it this year," she said. "It's just [that] there is a lot of planning going into it and....you'll hear when it happens."

Let's not forget that the "I Kissed A Girl" star has had a very big week outside of the "feud" and her wedding plans: She also debuted the new eye-popping music video for her hit song "California Gurls." If you've seen it, you probably have a lot of questions for the singer about where the idea for this "Candyland" meets Snoop Dogg video came from.

Perry said it's all from her. "I always like to put a twist on things whether it's a word or a visual. I think it's important to give it so many different dimensions. When you hear 'California Gurls' you think, okay, automatically it's gonna be a music video of girls that aren't wearing much, in a beach setting. And, ah-ah, not going there."

Well, if she was aiming for outside-of-the-box, whipped cream shooting out of her bikini top doesn't exactly scream 'ordinary.' "It's [really] fun. It's something I'm really proud of," Perry said. "It'll be hard to top! And if you have the munchies, you will love it!" (Noted.)

Perry's new album "Teen Dream" featuring "California Gurls" drops August 24th.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Snoop Dogg

1. air cleaner

Somebody essentially help to make critically posts I would state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary. Wonderful job!

January 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Monster #1

katy perry sucks balls

July 12, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Happy

People pay to much attention , I own my clicker , I can toon out from the world when ever I want. I dont have to watch it if I choose. That simple , Religion is crowd control , Its my God for me and no one else. Lets all wake up and not push crowd control on everyone else. Everyday we watch the news and believe everything we hear or see. If you dont like it , you own it to toon out from the Media. No excuse.

July 5, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole

Lady GaGa is allowed to NOT be a Christian if she so chooses. Katy Perry is allowed to be religious. It's that simple.

June 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Showerz

Lady Gaga reminds me of Phyllis 'Pizzazz' Gabor of the Misfits on Jem and the Holograms and now Katy Perryhas the Jem and the Holograms thing going on too looks to me like Aja when she sports her big bright blu hair doo..

Gaga & Perry copying from Jem and the Holograms!!! That's and and That's all!!

June 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. showerz

Lady Gaga reminds me of Phyllis 'Pizzazz' Gabor of the Misfits on Jem and the Holograms and now Katy Perry has the Jem and the Holograms thing going on too looks to me like "Aja" when she sports her big bright blu hair doo..

June 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. luke

I think that if katy perry was dissing gaga she is a hippocrete. Also how u gonna diss gaga but copy her by useing a bra that shoots stuff out of it gaga already did that dont be a "so called niccki minaj ' katy perry

June 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric

Katy is a hypocrite. I thought her songs used to be ironic and all, commenting on how shallow our society has become but pairing up with snoop dogg is an all time low. I don't like Lady Gaga's music, but i respect her for standing up for gay people. People need to deal with real issues, and forget prejudice just because of some book.

June 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peter

I'm a Catholic and love Gaga too. She is a Catholic too, she's close to this religious imagery. I'll always be a Catholic and a Christian no matter what anyone says. What athiests say does not affect me at all, no-one is forcing them to believe anything nowadays. We're not Muslims, we're more enlightened now. People can please themselves. I'm by no means perfect either. People have a right to their own opinion about her video, but I must say that 'Alejandro' does not offend me at all. Gaga is great and so is God! I love them both!

June 18, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Anthony

Okay now I have heard it all...
    Katy Perry promoted a Gay-Lesbian act in one of her music videos,
    In which I have no problem with the gay community what-so-ever,
    BUT!!! however she (Katy Perry) sings (I kissed a Girl and I liked it)
    and claims to be a Christian, and then Bashes Lady Gaga for her video ....

Guess what Katy...you are a hypocrite

June 18, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • ZBee1

Anthony: The Lord is gonna work it out in the end. "Self control" and "Gentleness" are fruits of the Holy Spirit.

June 18, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jimmy "D"

I have heard of Lady GaGa and I have heard of DR. KEVORKIAN..but who is this Jesus Christ fellow in which you speak....

June 18, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. alynn

If you people would actually take the time to read about the Alejandro interpretation before you start commenting about gaga being an anti-christ you would realize that the video is actually showing her struggles with the catholic church, and with prejudice, as well as her struggles with her own demons. Swallowing the rosary was symbolism for her taking in the good and taking in christ despite the issues she is facing. If you watch her interviews she talks about her love for god, and her motivation is to create an equal world free of hate and prejudice where people are free to be themselves. Last time i checked this was a good thing. And I am so tired of people hating all of the time and worrying so much about what god would want of other people. LET GOD MAKE HIS OWN JUDGEMENTS and you just worry about yourselves!

June 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

Jesus Christ , catholic church, Disney world... you know I can't believe people still live in such a fantasy world

June 18, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • vegasgirl

Right on Alynn! Glad someone has sense and poise to discuss and explain a topic without resorting to slandering someone for their looks and talent.

As for everyone else who says how "ugly" Gaga is.... lets see a picture of you!

June 18, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
    • SO True

Right on! What is it with people and passing judgment these days – especially when they haven't done any research on the subject? People have lately taken their freedom of speech as a "license to be uneducated and so whatever the hell they want" ~ I don't think that was the original intention of the idea...

June 18, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Avid Fan

Katy Perry's only back peddling to avoid further backlash. I don't care for Gaga at all but for her to make veiled comments to any artist about "blasphemy" when she herself has admitted to writing songs to shock her pastor parents is both hypocritical and stupid. You're either rebelling against your upbringing or you're standing by it but you can't do both Katy. This is why it's important for people to keep their religions to themselves.

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lori

I am glad to hear that Katy Perry still loves Jesus. As for Lady Gaga, she is resorting to shock over talent mighty early in her career... she needs to pace herself if she is going to have any staying power.

June 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. soultosoul

I find what Katy Perry said was very truthful. There is nothing wrong with giving her opinion. I think it is awful that people make fun of other people's beleifs. Just because you may not beleive in Jesus, Budah, or other religions God's doesn't give you the right to be disrespecful to others. I live and breathe my life as a Christian. I am not anywhere near perfect but praying and reading my Bible gives me my stregth in how I should live my life. People who have beleif in a higher power use it as medication to their soul. It gives them hope and strength. Being rediculed isn't fun either. If everyone keeps on harping about peace and harmony with one another then we should also show respect to others in what they beleive in by being more sensitive in our actions.

June 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Well....

Belief in a "god" or organized religion has killed more people in the name of their "god" than all terrestrial diseases COMBINED. but that's ok because it's god's will

June 18, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  16. hotinhere

I find lady Caca to be unoriginal. She sings dance music and puts on outrageous outfits to try to surprise people. I find her completely disgusting and a copy cat. I saw right through her when she first came out. She used to have brown hair and never dressed anything like what she dresses now. She had to go and create some crazy wild image so people would even look at her. She uses the outfits also as a disguise to cover her ugly face. She has the face of a pit bull.

June 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rick

Lady Gaga is possibly one of the most amazing and original artists out there right now! No one even comes close to doing what she is for music and art. Katy Perry has nice songs but I find her videos cheap looking. Lady Gaga puts so much effort into everything she does and is truly changing the music industry.

June 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • jane

RIGHT ON! Rick about LG -

June 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Virtually ALL music these days is not "music" Songs, beats and riffs of yesterday are "sampled" since the "artists" who sing them have no actual talent. I would like to think that Miss Hudson as well as Miss Germanotta are decent human beings but sadly, are not artists in the sense of Etta James, Sinatra, Nat King Cole or others

June 18, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. luke

i think that if katy perry was dissing gaga she is a hippocrte also how u gonna diss gaga but copy her by useing a bra that shoots stuff out of it gaga already did that dont be a "so called niccki minaj ' katy perry

June 17, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahem..

Lady Gag is not the first on to don the gun Bra. Have you ever heard of Tank Girl... Lady Gaga is also a big mash up of Madonna and Marylin Manson... soo back to the point i signed on to make. Lady Gaga is indoctrinating her fans with luciferian aka Satanic imagery, and has sold her soul to the Devil. I don't know where Ms. Perry's true allegences lie but if you havve to pick a side, and you do, Team Jesus is the one to be on. Becareful watching all those demonic videos with their sacreligous imagery, that don't seem to line up with the words in the songs. Otherwise you'll think all those upside down crosses are benign and those goats head images are meaningless. Read your bible, and tak a stand.. Your either on Team Jesus or you are playing for the opposition..

June 17, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. i think that if katy perry was dissing gaga she is a hippocrte als o how u gonna diss gaga but co

i think that if katy perry was dissing gaga she is a hippocrte als o how u gonna diss gaga but copy her by useing a bra that shoots stuff out of it gaga already did that dont be a "so called niccki minaj ' katy perry

June 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. KH

Lady GAGa,
    This woman is not even original. She appeals to people who have forgotten or couldn't remember what Madonna used to do.

June 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Thank you Katy!

Thank goodness there is a celebrity out there speaking about JESUS CHRIST!!!
    Thank you Katy Perry for telling the world that JESUS CHRIST is in your life.
    Thank you for standing up for Christianity!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Olivia

By saying she is a 'Jesus Christ fan', she is not 'standing up for Christianity' by any means. Jesus didn't ask for people to be His fan, He called people to follow Him. At one point in time Katy Perry was Katy Hudson, a Christian pop singer. I'm not judging her life, but don't think her saying she is a fan is any type of testimony to who Jesus is or what He may have done in her life. Our lives as believers are called to line up with Scripture, and I would like to hear how she thinks her life is pointing to Jesus or pointing others to Jesus.

June 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rae

Thank you Olivia. You took the words right out of my mouth:)

June 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

God is man-made
      your enduring faith in something that is a little more than a fairy tale proves your inferior intellect.

June 18, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Raffi Cohen

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      (Free-Press-Release.com) June 19, 2010 - It is confirmed by a personal friend of Lady GaGa named Bilaal that Lady GaGa has secretly married
      singer/Songwriter J786. In RedOne (Nadir Khayat) home in a private party a close friend of RedOne and Lady GaGa named Nabeel told Usher that this is the fact. a Press Release is being planned to break this news. Rumor of Lady GaGa being a woman or not has been generating and to put this false rumor to an end, Lady GaGa and her management have decided to make this news public. June 29th. is slated to be the date for a formal Press Conference to take place at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

June 19, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • -_-

..she blurted it out as if she were saying, "I LOVE ICE CREAM VERY MUCH!"

June 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jeff S

Its hard to respect anyone who has any respect for "Lady Gaga." I mean, I understand tween pop music is tween pop music, but there's SO many adults now listening to kiddie pop, its unbelievable. I've actually met people over the age of 12 who listen to Gaga, which is extremely hard to believe. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm completely serious.

June 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ObliviousAmericans

How on earth can you justify letting a 12 year old listen to GaGa? I love the Lady but there's not way I'd ever let any of my children (if I had them) listen to her – the lyrics are less than wholesome for a young person with an impressionable mind. The trouble with people like you is that you generalize the type of interests certain groups are supposed to adhere to. I'm a 23 year old college graduate/ working professional who listens to Terri Clark/ Lady GaGa/ Katy Perry/ Brad Paisley/ and pieces from Lully, Rameau, Couperin and Mozart all in one day. My interests range from weightlifting, to WWII history, to fashion and politics and fishing – Why am I only supposed to like a few of these and not others?! Why is that not normal? What is normal; a dull completely defined set of interests and tastes as prescribed by you? I was baptized a Lutheran and converted to Catholicism b/c of the hypocrisy of the Americanized version of Protestant Christianity. I am tired of people generalizing what we are supposed to like and do. The world is full of difference, which makes it interesting. Where do you get the license to make any comments about what people should like. Disrespect me from your bubble, but keep your nose out of mine.

June 18, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. Whatever

Lady Gag Me is a disgusting piece of TRASH!

June 17, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. let's be real

Um... okay?

No surprise... as I'm sure some future commenters will say, it's obvious this is CNN's way of generating news... start off with a rumor and/or speculation, then later on say "oh no it's nothing" in another article. I understand this is marquee blog... but eh... I know CNN can do better than that... hmmm... maybe not?

June 17, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raffie Cohen

Here's today's news to get the record striaght: LADY GAGA GOT MARRIED LAST MONTH with her elusive lover named J786: Free Press Website has this Press Release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE