June 16th, 2010

They’re not called 'pretty little liars' for nothing

Last night’s episode of my new favorite “Veronica Mars” and “Gossip Girl” hybrid revealed just enough to tell us absolutely nothing about what happened to Alison.

But we did learn a little about the relationship the five girls shared before Alison's disappearance and why they’re all terrified of Jenna...but I’ll get back to that later.

The episode opened with the girls – Aria, Hanna, Emily and Spencer – grabbing a bite to eat after the funeral. After Hanna pours the contents of a flask into her soda (how very Chuck Bass of her), the girls realize that while Alison knew all of their secrets, they never knew any of hers.

Spencer then enlightens the girls about a half-secret Alison once told her regarding an older boy she was seeing, even though he had a girlfriend. Those of you who read the books will know this better than I do: Without spoiling it for the rest of us, is this tidbit worth a mental note?

Just as the girls begin to talk about what happened to Jenna, she walks into the restaurant and takes a seat at the otherwise empty bar. (For those of you who are late to the viewing party: Jenna is blind, always wears dark shades and uses a walking cane.) The girls quietly get up and leave the restaurant.

We later find out, courtesy of the local news, that Alison suffered a head trauma, but the cause of death was suffocation.

On the other side of town, Emily and Maya - the extremely suspicious girl who moved into Alison’s old house - continue to flirt with one another. Unaware of the sexual tension between the girls, Emily’s mom invites Maya to spend the night at their home. Emily and Maya exchange sentiments about preferring the middle of the bed before hopping in together. Emily (a.k.a. the little spoon) quietly gets out of bed to read a text message from A in the middle of the night: “Did you get a goodnight kiss? Here’s one from me xo.”

Another message goes out to Aria that day at school when the four girls are called to the principal’s office to meet with the detective about Alison’s murder: “Dead girls walking.”

Speaking of Aria, what is going on with her and Mr. Fitz? (I refuse to call him by his first name for two reasons: 1. I don’t remember it and 2. He’s her teacher!) I appreciate the fact that she attempts to switch out of his class, but why are they having these “can’t live without you” feelings after making out twice? (They've kissed in a bar bathroom and again in a church stairwell; I guess after last night’s episode we can add "car" to the list.)

Back at school, Aria invites Jenna to eat lunch with the girls. She tells them that Alison came to visit her in the hospital after her accident, which may be the same accident Spencer envisions moments later in a flashback. Apparently, Alison and the girls threw a “stink bomb” into a nearby barn when, all of a sudden, the girls see a flash of light and the barn catches on fire. Could that be how Jenna loses her eyesight?

Now on to Spencer, who gets caught making out with her sister’s fiancée… by her sister. Do they make a “world’s worst sister” mug?

The episode ends with what should have been a really shocking moment, but it fell a little flat. During Spencer’s run, she sees Jenna sitting on a bench typing something. Jenna then says “send text” into the machine on her lap and turns to look in Spencer’s direction. Is it just me, or did anyone else get the vibe that Jenna can actually see?

Still so many questions…Is Jenna the one sending the texts? What does the detective know about the girls? What happened to Alison?

(Side note: Last week, CNN commenter “comment” posted that every time one of the girls received a message from "A,” they imagined the voice of “Gossip Girl” narrator Kristen Bell reading it aloud. Well, I want to personally thank “comment” for sharing that because now I’m doing the same thing and I can’t stop!)

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. cheyenne

but fa real this show is so freckin adiccting and im only 10 lol.. when i heard the song and found out that that song was on pll and i saw the theme song and the vid for it i was tryin to get to watch the show and looked it up on wikipedia.org and it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fascinating...so watch it!

July 29, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cheyenne

thanks for spoiling it for the rest who didnt read the books! r u stupid?

July 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rosalba Cruz

Yeah you people should read the books first . I read all of them&it is a crazy endinq . Mona is the 1st A. &then the 2nd A is Alison because the real alison is not dead.

June 30, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sara

TWO CAN KEEP A SECRET, IF ONE OF THEM IS DEAD.
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teq_mJlW_Uk&w=640&h=390]

June 29, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kaitlyn

READ THE BOOKS!!!! Jenna IS blind!!! *Spoiler* Mona(hanna's bff) is sending the txts!!! And yes the Ali you all kno is her twin sis courtney who switched lives with Ali! Courtney was crazy and posed as Ali all the time and when Ali tried to convince her parents that she wasn't Courtney, they thought she was just pretending to be Ali again. This is because courtney stole ali's ALISON ring! Anyway, some of this may be changed in the show so GO READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!

June 25, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. kaylee

jennas not blind and allison is not even dead her twin sister is a alison is pretening to be courtney in the mental hosiptoal becuase she never really like any of the girls

June 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alyssa

first of all if u read BETTER blogs u will see that jenna isnt doing the txt messages MONA is! and jennas not blind ! and allison has a twim sister

June 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dani

Same here I thought so since the beging of second episode when she grabed the phone nd said " aren't u going to get that". I mean she probably heardvit not that perfect.. nd when the girls were at the restaurant nd she got there u get this wired vibe

June 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sindy101

i do think that jenna is faking to be blind but im not sure about the text messages notice in the lunch table she had arms folded and a text came up that said Only if she could see your guilty faces -A so its either that shes WORKING with someone else or shes not in it

June 22, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Juanita

What did the text that they received during their lunch with Jenna say?

June 21, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RMC

I do not think Jenna is blind. I just think she is to obvious of an option to have killed Alison.

June 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. amc

thanx this pass 2 show have been awesome cuz even mt cuzin says jenna isnt blind i thought she was and thanx cuz know i know how she became blind or not

June 18, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SLS

It's the dad! Wasn't he making out in a car with some blond?!

June 17, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

it can't be the dad! Why would he send the mom a message telling her that he was cheating on her? It's Mona remember when Allison and Aria were running away from her? Well that's what someone told me haha. Someone should read the last book in the series and tell us.

July 11, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. swtpkmn

I think that Jenna is too obvious of a choice. I don't think they would let the cat outta the baf this soon... just my own opinion....

June 17, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lorin

Wow.... this review makes me want to watch the show because I have never watched an episode yet. I think I may go home tonight and try watching the first one and hopefully I'll enjoy it. How many episodes have aired so far?

June 17, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  16. Kassidy

I watch the first eposide, and the second.. But I am addicted to it NOW....... The "Blind Girl" isnt blind, she is sending the text..

June 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jim

great show...reminds me of Gossip Girl, and that's a good thing...Watch Pretty Little Liars

June 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Giovanna

I absolutely agree with you..now that Gossip Girl is over this will be my replacement addiction. So far the show is GREAT!!

June 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kassie

it is worth remembering that Alisson was seeing an older guy

June 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. leelee haynes

i watch it every time its on wit my best friend but personly i think jenna isnt blind and is sending the texts

June 16, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Areil

I do have to say i love this show. i also think jenna isnt blind and the one sending text messages. I kind of get the vibe maybe the older guy allison was seeing was aria's dad????

June 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. courtney

i watched the show for the first time last night and i have to say that I am addicted and im going to go buy the books and read them tonight!!

June 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. comment

wow...i never would have thought i'd get an honorable mention in one of your articles. hahaha! thank you for that, and i'm glad i helped make your viewing of the show more enjoyable. =)

June 16, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |