June 16th, 2010

'Precious' star's mother gets moment in spotlight

You would think Alice Tan Ridley would have already been signed to a record deal by now.

The mother of Academy Award nominated actress Gabourey Sidibe appeared on “America’s Got Talent,” where she vied with other amateur performers for a chance to head to Las Vegas with the show.

Tan Ridley, who has been singing in the New York City subway for years, had a mini-reunion with the show’s host Nick Cannon, whose wife Mariah Carey co-starred with Sidibe in “Precious.”

“Don’t I know you,” Cannon asked Tan Ridley.

The singer proceeded to blow away the judges with her version of “At Last.” She received a standing ovation from the crowd and was put through to the Las Vegas round.

She said that while her daughter is a star, Tan Ridley is now pursuing her own dream for a career in music.

Watch the full video of her performance here.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Music • television

1. Marci R

She sang like the "Classic" singers you never hear any more. She would be great on Broadway, great on recordings and I for one would be honored to purchase one of them. She would have been wonderful in Purlie, Chicago, and lots of other musicals as well.

June 17, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. darlene d

I think the rude and insensitive remarks are uncalled for here. After hearing that version of "At Last", I loved it and the lady can sing! Its too bad that in this day and age, the only thing that gets a foot in the door is good looks! Some of the so called attractive singers that grace the stage today cannot sing at all but yet, they get an opportunity to make it big!! The music world is so hypocritical. Thank goodness women like Barbra Streisand, Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin made it big in music before the cast system in music began! I hope Ms Ridley can fulfill her dream.

June 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marrianne R

You know, it was to be expected that someone who is crude would say something deliberately mean on here. As for me, I have to wonder as Sharon O did, why she wasn't signed years ago to a contract. But maybe it wasn't her time, and now it is. She's a very humble woman...and she has the voice of the angels.

June 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chloel

So I'm guessing neither of you clowns have looked in a mirror lately. Judge not lest ye be judged. I'm a great believer in what goes around comes around and one day you will be reminded of these comments you have made and hopefully you will be ashamed. I know your mothers raised you better. You need to see people on the inside not on the outside.

June 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Boof

You definitely don't want to be behind these two in the buffet line.

June 16, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Laura

"BONK" –you are harsh & rude–shame on you. This woman can sing,it was a beautiful song. I hope she makes it. She has much talent.

June 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam D.

hahaha I agree 100%. Almost like black ice as well...once you get on it you just start slipping and sliding, and you never know when you'll be able to make it stop.

June 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |