June 16th, 2010

Chaos shuts down Drake concert

New Yorkers hoping to hear rap sensation Drake perform his hit "Over" at a free concert yesterday found that the event itself was over before it even began.

A crowd of 25,000 people - more than double the number anticipated - turned up at Manhattan's South Street Seaport for the show, which was to feature Drake, Hanson, and DJ Ninjasonik. "The crowd was much larger than we anticipated," Paper magazine, who co-sponsored the event with Ray-Ban, explained on Twitter.

Mayhem erupted, and as one attendee told WABC, "It was crazy. We saw people throwing chairs off the balcony...they were throwing garbage cans, plants, food, bottles."

Fearing safety concerns, police and concert organizers called off the event before Drake, 23, could perform. "NYPD will not let me go on stage tonight," tweeted the star, whose debut CD, "Thank Me Later," hit stores yesterday.

Two people were arrested on minor charges and six suffered minor injuries from the incident. Drake, meanwhile, issued the following statement to MTV News:

"I am humbled by the crowd that showed up in support of my performance and the release of 'Thank Me Later.' I love performing for my fans, but unfortunately, the show was canceled by the NYPD due to overcrowding, leaving me without the chance to give my fans a real show. I'm thankful for the support that the fans have been giving me ... I thank you now."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. lk

WHO concert years ago in Cincinnati, OH

June 24, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. missmish510

how did this go from a forum about the above article....DRAKE CONCERT CANCELED....to comparing the numbers on rapists, pedophiles, violent crimes, etc...and what color people are committing them?

Really people. Just say you're disappointed that it came to that, and maybe one day we will live in a world where we all just get along....d@mn....people look for any excuse to start spewing negativity and it always ends up being a black or white issue.....cut out the nonsense.....its all ignorant to me..... there are bad guys everywhere race and color are irrelevant.....accept it....there is good and bad .....and it could be any random person you pass on the street at any moment.....get over the color lines......

AND GET BACK TO THE MUSIC!!!!

June 16, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eduard from Russia

You're absolutely right. I don't care a f..k what color girl I'm banging. Just want squeeze those boobs and all...)

June 17, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. pashabogart

Not surprisingly, most are missing kirkslade's primary point. Critical thought is virtually non-existent anymore. Do research and think before opening your mouths so you can offer valid arguments. Sure, this is about expressing opinions but ignorant ramblings are boring and annoying.

June 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth Hurts

Critical thought over a Drake concert being cancelled? I fail to see what point you and kirkslade are trying to make here... maybe in the right forum/article would your arguments hold water...

June 17, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

If you label his "research" and accompanying comments as "critical thought" then you're as lost as he is...

June 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rodknee Kings

Can'ts wezze alls gets alongs? I ax jaaa

June 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kirkslade

SncrDerelict I would love to debate you. You hide behind everything that you can. If 99 out of a hundred do one thing, you will constantly quote the one. You make excuses for everything. I have read your posts before. You base your responses on emotion not fact. As the economy gets worse, people will turn against the inner city "rap" mentality. Many African Americans want the stereotypical black to just go away. The number is growing. Just go away.

June 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

You're a joke. You keep talking about facts yet you speak like you know any about me. You might have your assumptions but your probably too dimwitted to know those don't equate to facts.

Anyway, good luck in your narrow-minded world. You're going to need it.

June 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Real

Kirkslade,
      You are also extremely close minded a life based only on fact and no emotion or opinion. I feel sorry that you live in such a small world full of stereotypes. Maybe some day you can also take a step out and see people as individuals instead of categories based on research. All it proves is that those individuals made a choice, it doesn't mean they did it because of the color of their skin. I know this may cause you to go off and grab some more numbers to prove your point but I will let you know it still won't change my mind so you probably shouldn't waste your time.

June 16, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Correlation does not imply causation, kirkslade. Look it up.

June 17, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bruce

tical
    it cracks me up when raceists like you bring up the white child molester and serial killer thing, the sad fact is that blacks molest there own just like whites but the culture of no snitching keeps them from being cought, and the leading cause of death of young black men is other young black men , but they dont call them serial killers they call them gangstas and glorify the behavior. thats why the hood is a hood. if we dont soon start takeing responability for our own problums and stop blameing everyone else we are doomed as a society.

June 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cafe Au Lait

@ahahah Did you know that 98-99% of gorilla DNA is similar to that of humans? Hmm, that means black, white, asian, latino, and other races are all close relatives to gorillas! Interesting fact isn't it?

@kirkslade I understand what you're saying, but we don't all follow Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. As a matter of fact, if you ask a lot of black people individually what they truly think of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, you will probably receive a lot of negative feedback. Though, a lot of us do love MLK, Jr. Also, I have seen so many times how people have been cast out. It is a shame how we treat those like Bill Cosby who have made true efforts and how Malcolm X was assassinated, but we must point out that not all black people have shunned him. I LOVE Bill Cosy. I think we continue to try to make efforts to help and give back because we figure that eventually something good will come out of it. Not all efforts at giving to the community have gone in vain, there are plenty of good things that come of it that are never reported. There are many black people that have this mentality that we need things handed to us, but you have to also know that this doesn't go for ALL black people and it's definitely not just a black thing.

June 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SncrDerelict

I guess I spoke too soon earlier...

Oh well...

June 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ChimpOut

Anyone who involves themselves with such garbage should expect to suffer.

June 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kirkslade

Cafe Au Lait. I understand where you are coming from. I just want to be a lot more critical of what is happening here. Do a little research. If you give to the black community and then ask for accountability, you are cast out. Bill Cosby gave millions. He wanted answers. The blacks turned there backs. He is a great man. Malcolm X was brilliant. I have read his writings and his autobiography. The blacks killed him. Instaed you follow Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Martin Luthor King. You quote movies and follow like sheep.

June 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ahahah

Silly gorillas :) go back to africa

June 16, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cafe Au Lait

I would try not to get too mad at Drake. He's just the artist. I would blame the promoters and whoever was over the event and his management team...they play a role in organization and the promptness of events.

But on to another topic, based on a lot of comments I see on these forums, I would say the majority of people in our country are crazy LOL. How in the world does everything turn into a black/white fight? Or how does anger about what is given back to the black community come about?

@kirkslade, I think you misunderstood about the black community part. I think she means that black artists should try to help and give back to their community, i.e. the black community, so don't worry you're off the hook. Calm down. :-)

June 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raszy

I have been tons of concerts of all types and I will say it isn't the type of music or the race of the people that attend those concerts that leads to this type of behavior, its the fact that humans are still animals that talk and we all suffer from mob mentality in form or another. The more of a moron you are, the more likely it is you'll choose to act out like a spoilt child.

June 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mc

My wife and I live a few blocks away and just happened to go by after dinner. There were thousands of kids just wandering around after the cops kicked them out. Our neighborhood was completely overrun and there were police choppers circling our building. I must have missed the really crazy part but from what I saw, the police were funder control, polite and professional. I spoke to a bunch of groups of kids trying to figure what band was playing and why so many police and ambulances. They were all polite and friendly. Always a few bad apples.

June 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kirkslade

I read what is written. I hear what is said. If you took; hater, ignorant, black community, situation, and racism, out of the English language, half of you wouldn't be able to speak.

June 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • lol

You're losing credibility on this comment board. You are clearly a biased individual, and your claim to not take any sides is just a facade to me, really. MLK wasn't great? Wow... I mean I clearly agree with the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton part, but you're taking an article primarily about a Drake concert being cancelled and making it into a detailed research project of yours that goes beyond the actual scope of this article.

People should do research on these topics when it is appropriate. For your earlier sections of your debate, you were relevant... now you just seem like someone bitter about African Americans today... if you don't like it then get out of this country. You obviously are an individual, like many others I've noticed on these comment boards, who always feel the need to speak their mind and that their opinion counts more than anyone else's. If you want to flaunt your research, use citations, show your references/footnotes, etc. Anyone can say they researched something and it may look professional, but as many here know it's easy to make stuff up. Also, if you don't like people calling you ignorant (well everyone is ignorant, you can't say you aren't), be more open-minded.

June 17, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  16. kirkslade

Why do we have to give back to the black community??? Enough!!!!!

June 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Pam

Drake is just another rapper who is happily taking from the Black community and not giving anything back!

June 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kirkslade

Sncrderelict. My favorite part of your response is when you state, "What idiot would spend there time researching that drivel"?
    You are correct. We should all just speak without facts. Wait a second... That is where the country is headed. We speak without fact, then we blame the politicians. Shut your mouth and present the facts.

June 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

Hahaha! Facts!? If you want to state facts why didn't you include any other demographic information, like socioeconomic class? No, you wanted it to be about race so you tried to attribute your findings to that. Typical and shallow. But please continue. You are entertaining.

June 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CATom

Is drake some new rapper for the gays?

June 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eduard from Russia

He's not only for the gays, but for all the Americans. And I'm from Russia!

June 17, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  20. izmeh

Who is Drake and why should we care?

June 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kirkslade

There is a 70/30 ratio of blacks to white in the NFL. According to Wikianswers. Yet, the ratio of felonies commited by blacks is 21.5 to one. Draw your own conclusions. Do you want me to research rap music concert videos.

June 16, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drakey

look things got out of hand and the concert was canceled. MOVE ON instead of making this a Black versus White fight!

June 16, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

Sure...

Because no one else is going to waste their time doing that retarded "research"....

June 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Rodney

Of course there was a riot...you have thousands of mentally challenged fools who can't speak and wear clothes properly in one location.

June 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. tical65

Add the number white men who are child molesters, and serial killers. Compare them to black people. Draw your own conclusions, don't call me ignorant!! I am not for or against either side. Before you comment, do some research!!!

June 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

Blacks actually commit a disproportionate amount of crimes against children. They represent less than 13% of the US population, but are responsible for almost 21% of child maltreatment crimes.

[US Dept. of Health and Human Svcs. 2005]
      Race and ethnicity of child maltreatment perpetrators.

Race Percent
      -- ---
      White 55.1
      African-American 20.9
      Hispanic 17.6
      Unable to Determine or Missing 2.8
      American Indian or Alaska Native 1.4
      Asian 1.0
      Multiple Race 0.8
      Pacific Islander 0.3

June 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • This is 2010

Buck, your research is outdated. Of course if I look back in time to maybe, the early 90s, I can find statistics supporting my claims as well.

June 17, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  24. Marcia

As usual, I am sure these people are blaming white people for the problem!

June 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. kirkslade

There have been 43 arrest of black NFL athletes for felonies in the past 25 years. 2 For white people. Is there a ratio of 21.5 to one in the NFL? Do your research before you write.

June 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

Why would anyone worthwhile spend their time doing research on such an idiotic topic if they weren't just trying to confirm their bias anyway?

The only person you're impressing is yourself...

June 16, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. kirkslade

Add up the outbreaks of violence at rap concerts. Compare them to other venues. Count the number of black athletes that kill or commit a felony. Compare them to white people. Draw your own conclusions. Don't call me ignorant. I am not for or against either side. Before you comment, do some research.

June 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • SncrDerelict

What idiot would spend their time researching that kind of drivel? It doesn't take much thought to figure out why the figures might be that way...

More black athletes (I assume you're talking about professionals) are probably felons because there are more (professional) black athletes, duh...

Just like there are more white people than blacks on welfare and in jail, but that number doesn't lend itself to percentages, just like your "challenge" didn't...

June 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. SncrDerelict

Jules

Just like you're clueless when it comes to Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift, right?

June 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |

---------------------------------

I must've struck a nerve...

Not sure what Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift have to do with anything, but I guess I could be categorized as clueless when it comes to them...

I have no interest in them or their music, therefore I wouldn't go out of my way to insult or generalize them or their genre of music over something they or any other artists did as individuals...

What in my statement made you reply like that?

June 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. SumYungGuy

Like that saying goes.. BEWARE OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!! The epitome of stupidity!!

June 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dan

So 25,000 people showed up for a FREE concert, then they want to complain?

Really??

REALLY?

Then Drake blames the NYPD?

""but unfortunately, the show was canceled by the NYPD due to overcrowding,""

Wow. Anyone here wondering why you have to spend so much to attend a concert shouldn't have ANY questions.

June 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SncrDerelict

I'm actually surprized...

I was expecting to see multiple "rap is crap", "rap sucks", and "living the thug life"-type comments...

You know, the same generalized cluelessness that these articles seem to generate...

June 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

Just like you're clueless when it comes to Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift, right?

June 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. angela

I have been to a ton of concerts and never have encountered violence. Im sorry, but the kind of individuals who listen to rap do normally cause more trouble. They have a tendancy to be a louder group of people and much more violent. You go walking down the street and if you hear loud annoying music, its normally rap. You hardly ever hear rock, country, etc. People who listen to rap think they need the whole world to look at them. Therefore they act stupid. Not all, but the majority!

June 16, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Real

Angela,
      You are extremely close minded. I feel sorry that you live in such a small world full of stereotypes. Maybe some day you can take a step out and see people as individuals instead of categories. That is all.

June 16, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Your are 100% right. I love hip hop, but it's all drama. It's dont happen in anyother type of music. I'm from the hood.
      Though the event should of had been planned bertter and have more security, it is NYC, and free.

June 16, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Personal experiences and bias... good thing you aren't a statistician. Do your research, Angela. Perhaps you are in a neighborhood where this kind of music is a dominant force. However, I've heard rock music blaring out windows of convertibles and all types of pop music blaring... I even heard three guys sing a CHRISTINA AGUILERA song... yes... that's right.

June 17, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jules

Canadian Rapper.......isn't that what you'd call an oxymoron?

June 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mckenna

Blaming the police? why not admonish the "fans" who started the mayhem. They are the ones that ruined it for everybody else.

June 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Old School Rap Fan

McKenna, it is much easier to blame the cops, even Drake himself appears to be blaming the cops. Nobody wants to take any kind of responsibility. Remember. NYC is the same place that brought you the ignorant phrase "No Snitching". I guess we should save some money and not have an NYPD and let all of the thugs and gangstas take NYC over and not have to worry about crooked cops and snitching. They could just "get their hustle on" and "keep it real" all day. Give me back the days of KRS One, LL Cool J, and Public Enemy. You know, responsible hip hop that had a real message and moved people to do better, not hate cops and shun responsibility.

June 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheila

i have cousins in ny, last name mckenna – just made me lsmile to think of them:)

June 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jay in ATL

Who the hell is Drake?????

June 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. j'nai

i was sooo annoyed with this poorly planned event. hot, crowded, high school student frenzy. NYC high school students are just maniacs, understimulated and out of control

June 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Aww Geez

Geez, people really wanted to see Jimmy from Degrassi rap this badly?

June 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Eduard from Russia

Why did the riot began. What's the reason? Is it because the place was overcrowded?

June 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • decidida74

It began because the teenagers that attended expected to see the Headliner perform first, which is not the typical format for concerts. Hanson was to open but the crowd began ignoring the warnings to get off off roofs, stop climbing awnings, and such. When the requests were not made NYPD was asked to assist.

There was a lack of planning in the security and attendance aspect of the event. The performers do not coordinate this of this when they are part of a concert series so hopefully people do not blame the talent but the individuals that added fuel and caused the event to be canceled.

June 16, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

actually, the crowd was decently calm until some idiots started climbing onto the roofs of buildings and wouldn't get off when asked, nicely too might I add. When they refused to get off, people started hurling bottles to get them off because concert organizers said the show would not start if they did not get off the roof. (Poor choice on the organizers' part because it just made the crowd unruly and set off their impatience.) Crowd was fine and ninjasonik came on stage to perform for a few minutes when idiots decided to climb on the roofs of buildings again, which is when organizers stopped the performance and again waited and asked those people to get off the roofs. By 7pm, an hour after the show was supposed to start, there was no one on stage, people from the front were leaving and saying that the performers were packing up and the show was going to get canceled. I left at this point, but I'm pretty sure that once the organizer's actually announced the cancellation is when the crowd got out of control and started this riot. The crowd before this announcement could have EASILY been controlled had they had enough security personnel on hand, but they did not. Actually from what I saw for the 2.5 – 3 hours I was there...there was a complete lack of security.

June 17, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  38. Bummed Nay

i was there. i was so upset because i felt like i waited all that time for no reason if drake came on time and they had proper security nothing would have went that far. the problem is that everyone was getting restless and bored waitin for him to show. i lost a little love for him because nothing was set up the way it was supposed to. love the album. i just hope he makes this up to us nyc fans.

June 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Matt

I really don't understand why riots like this occur – do people go to these things actively looking to start something?

June 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bonk

That's rap for ya. Violence and drugs and flipping police off. I would've been surprised if there WASN'T a violent outbreak at a rap concert.

June 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Real

Bonk you are ignorant. I attended a Drake concert last month and several other rap concerts prior. There was never a "violent outbreak" at any of them. Please get a clue and never share your opinion again. That is all.

June 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • let's be real

Typical ignorant comment. Just another person finding more reasons to dislike rap. BTW, I'm not a fan of rap.

Don't know if you know this, but rap isn't the only genre whose concerts have violent outbreaks and drugs. How about rock concerts? How about crazy tween fans at pop concerts? You obviously don't know concerts if all you can do is target rap for this activity. Concerts are concerts... you're going to see pushing and shoving here and there along with a couple drunks making noise... and some drug usage as well.

June 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • akb

so BONK how do you explain the WHO concert years ago in Cincinnati, OH (I think it was Cincinnati) where the crowd stampeded and someone was killed??? Was that Rap and Black too?

June 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigBill427

akb.. I was at that concert and I still have a tee shirt I bought months later that has fake foot prints and the caption" I survived the Who concert..

June 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hate_Cops

One of the least relevant thing that some idiot like yourself could say. Drugs and violence are a part of all aspects of society in this nation, regardless of race, socio-economic issues, or education. Flipping off cops is a joke right, they should be treated poorly when they do their jobs poorly.....did you watch the video related to this story where the DUMB COP swings on a guy doing nothing, simply walking towards him, fleeing the chaos. GTFO with your nonsense BONK.

June 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

@akb....The Who concert in Cincinnati was the result of overzealous fans wanting to get to front of the stage when they had a thing called Festival Seating. They weren't malevalent. they were just trying to get close to the band.

June 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • JASMINE

HONESLTY BONK,, GET A CLUE AND THEN FIND A LIFE!!!

June 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitamay

I'm with letsbereal on that one...rock concerts aren't all 'organization and peace' I'm sure...and anything that has a huge gathering of knuckle-headed teens...? Yeah, figure out the rest!

June 17, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |