June 15th, 2010

Prince to receive BET Lifetime Achievement Award

BET has announced that Prince will receive this year's BET Lifetime Achievement Award at the June 27 Awards ceremony, which will mark the 10th anniversary of the BET Awards show.

Known for his unconventional and groundbreaking performances, Prince has been a musical legend for decades, producing 10 platinum albums and three times as many Top 40 singles. BET noted in their announcement that “Prince’s music transcends all generations," and it's a notion that Prince agrees with.

The artist, who recently celebrated his 52nd birthday, told Ebony magazine that “we made music way ahead of its time anyway...It’s as fresh 2day as ever.”

And BET is just as ready as Prince to keep it fresh. “We have a different kind of tribute planned for him as his unique style deserves a unique honor,” said Stephen G. Hill, President of BET Programming, Music and Specials, in the statement.

Prince, Hill said, is a “[g]enre smasher, virtuoso musician, one of the most emotional singers of all time; words are too weak to describe just what he means to our culture.”

He's also a legend that remains out of the spotlight - the artist currently resides in Minneapolis. “It’s healthy, quiet lifestyle," Prince told Ebony. "The fast bachelor life can get 2 u sometimes. We all need 2 recharge r batteries every now and then."

1. Dae Ahzae

Prince is one of my biggest influences. A fantastic musician with a HUGE body of work! He is a great inspiration to everyone. Be you. Do you. Go all the way. He is NOT afraid to try something new....he is not afraid to do it HIS way. He pioneered online music also. Anybody notice Prince seems to be getting younger! :) No need to compare MJ and Prince..they are both 2 completely different artist....BOTH great legends!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tiger99

GeoBerg ------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Are you a bitter old person that have no life

June 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dorothy

Prince, thank you for sharing your genius. You touch my heart with words and music. How blessed we all are. A well deserved award. Congratulations!

June 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Feeniegal

I've been a fan since "For You"..so many arguments.. so misunderstood.... I LOVE PRINCE!! Congrats.

June 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Manila2Philly

Been a big fan of Prince since the early 80s! Loved his music and was able to connect to his songs. Each album represented a certain time of my life and when I listen to the songs now, I just look back with fond memories. Little Red Corvette, the extended version, one of the best. The guitars in Raspberry Beret, unmatched. The Beautiful Ones, powerful. My girlfriend, who I later married, used to love "Take Me With U." She didn't care where we went, as long as it was with me.

June 16, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. XtianInMpls

I have been listening to Prince's music for over 28 years and I can tell you there is only one Prince. He is truly one of a kind. If you haven't heard his "other" music, you need to check it out. The hits are good, but the real beauty of his talent are his live show – there is nothing else like it – AND the songs that never made it to Top 40 or MTV. Songs like The Cross, Anna Stesia, Sometimes It Snows..., Planet Earth, Get on the Boat, Fury on SNL, Thunder, Live 4 Love, the entire One Night Alone (piano) album... and the list goes on and on. That's the real Prince. And I have loved his music most of my life for that reason. Congratulations Prince and his amazing bands! You all deserve it !!
    – Xtian

June 16, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Odalice Feliz

I love that color of yellow he has on, he is always dress so nice for a boy.

go ahead prince you deserve it.

June 16, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ms. Me

MASBAS – you forgot one element – sensuality. There is no equal and nothing can compare. Thanks Prince for always being there for me in your music. Helped me through, almost 30 years now! You've been a blessing to me and the world. God Bless!

June 16, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • dominique

Sensuality? What that supposed to be? He is good, great musician, but sensuality? I never like his face. Listen yes. Look at, no. And he is styleless. Ridiculous shirts...my god.

June 21, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. dominique

With al respect to Prince... as somebody said.. World knows tree words... GOD...COCA COLA... and.... MICHAEL JACKSON.

June 16, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Cleva

This has nothing to do with Michael Jackson. This is about honoring someone's contribution to music. People will try their darnest to make some MJ/Prince comparison. smh.... Congrats Prince. Its deserving.

June 19, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. darlene d

Congrats to Prince and well deserved!

June 16, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. laura

MS BYNUM :–Prince has been my man too,always loved him - love all his music & I am now 47. He is very well respected in the music world in many aspects. Many blessings to him.For 52 he is ageless. Well deserved award. Peace

June 16, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy Smacks

Prince got his first LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD in the early 90s...he shld get one every other year

June 16, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. MS BYNUM

prince has been my "man" since i was 10yrs old. he is talented, inspirational, he is one in a million. not just because his birthday is june 7 and mine is june 8 what more can i say...... he deserves it....... it is about time.

June 16, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. AFERRILLGIRL

CONGRATULATIONS..ON THIS WELL DESERVED AWARD..

June 16, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. pleasure

PRINCE IS THE BEST AND THOSE WHO DONT GET HIM DONT KNOW WHAT A TALENTED MUSICIAN IS.

June 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Masbas

Prince is the most talented musician in this world. Witness one concert and you can see this. Who else even comes close to his talent? Nobody. Mix James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Sly and the Family Stone, Santana, Joni Mitchell, and George Clinton together and have what Prince does in one concert.

June 15, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. lilcjoy

It is fantastic that Prince is getting honored for all of his years of work and his bodies of work. I am sure he greatly appreciates the award of his worth to American Music.

June 15, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. psalm23

I absolutely love Prince always have, always will..I am so glad that he is receiving the accolades that he is due NOW. James Brown (RIP) would be soo proud of him as I and so many of his fans around the world are!!

June 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jimmy Smacks

Prince was way ahead of his time when it came to recording. In the studio. Love em or hate em, influenced everybody in the game some way (directly or indirectly)

June 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NY4LIFE

Greatest musical talent of our generation.....well deserved!

June 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ebony frier

i completely agree. i grew up on his music and now my 12 year old sings along in the car. if more musicians were like him, oh what music would be today.

June 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. GeoBerg

I want to know where the WET Awards show is....oh, that's right, there'd be rioting in the streets!!!

June 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • hot about AET

clearly you are a white guy bitter about nothing.

June 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • typo

hahaha, meant to say "what" instead of "hot" although I guess you could say hot too... lol

June 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bee

GeoBerg,

You are a sick fool. Just can't have an intelligent conversation, without ignoramus like yourself, defaming a great talent. Go back into your HOLE...

June 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

you must be apart of the tea party say hi to sara

June 16, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  22. let's be real

Prince... lol. All I have to say about him was that he was a very artistic/creative man. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, you be the judge...

June 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |